• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Seems we pretty much dodged that bullet. Got only 4 inches here but just one county north they got over a foot

btrage

Cyburbian
3-4 inches here. Schools are closed though.

I'm in the office, but still don't feel 100%. I may go back home in a few hours and sleep.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
It's already started to snow here, although we're not expected to get the real heavy stuff until tonight. The weather forecasters are saying we'll have about a foot of snow this time tomorrow.

My bird feeders are very busy. Ironically, the snowstorm is going to delay my plans to go out and buy more seed. :(

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Light snow so far...but still leaving the office at noon today before the heavy stuff starts falling.

EDIT: Town Manager decided to close at noon, so I won't have to use any time off. :)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I walked to work to keep a car off the road and am staying put for the weekend - I am sad about it but like I said, I will get out and do some snowshoeing tomorrow

Masswich

Cyburbian
We're already getting our butts kicked in Portland, and this isn't even the real storm yet.

P.S. Check out my new poll

Linda_D

Cyburbian
We got some rain and then a wet rain/snow mix. It's NOT snowing or raining now, and the WINTER STORM WARNING has been downgraded to a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY. There looks to be a little more snow off to our west (around Erie/Cleveland) but we're NOT likely to get more than 1-3 inches out of this, and that mostly up in the hills.

Further north, closer to Buffalo, they look to be getting a whole lot more snow, though ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And so it begins. Big, fluffy flakes, right on schedule.

6L0uTgk.jpg

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Accumulating.

uIgU42D.jpg

Keep us updated and stay safe. I hope those up north and east are careful this weekend.... check in and let us all know how you are all doing....

kms

Cyburbian
Dan, we looked at a map this afternoon and there was a small area to the north of you that showed rain while the rest of the map showed snow. I did't expect to see that.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Total haul in my neck of the woods is 10" snow. Temperatures won't be above freezing until Monday so it's going to stick around for a while. Guess I will send the man down to clean the car off and shovel it out. The cousins in Boston had 10" at 10pm last night, based on the photos he posted this morning it looks like 2' and it's still snowing :-c

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Why I live in :fl: : we have a forecast high of 70°F under mostly sunny skies today...could call for some pool deck time. But we're currently at a chilly 47°F.

Slept with the windows open last night.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Official count is 5". Not too bad. Enough to be pretty and annoying at the same time. Mardi Gras party is still on. We'll see who shows.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The Weather Channel forecasts a high of 72°F for us today. This year has been a mild winter on the :fl: panhandle. Shrubs and trees are blooming.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
The Weather Channel forecasts a high of 72°F for us today. This year has been a mild winter on the :fl: panhandle. Shrubs and trees are blooming.

About the same here in North Texas. Daffodils began blooming in early January and one of my dogwood trees had started to bloom this weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hope and pray Whose Yur Planner is ok - tornadoes in Mississippi.

What is your role in the emergency response ?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hattiesburg, MS was hit by a tornado this evening. Hope our friend Whose Yur Planner is ok and his place escaped damage.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Hattiesburg, MS was hit by a tornado this evening. Hope our friend Whose Yur Planner is ok and his place escaped damage.

I saw that in the news too. I hope he's okay.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Alive, well and very tired-thanks. No damage at my place, but parts of both Counties got hit. Parts of it hit to the west of me and other parts hit to the east. I spend the evening reading Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell on my Ipad in the dark.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We actually had nice weather this weekend. It is going to roller coaster though this week again. My plants are starting to think about blooming... that is a bad idea...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We are having an intense thunderstorm, and hail is piling up on the top of the screened pool enclosure; we can hear it pinging against some of the windows.8-!

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Studies predict less snow, more blizzards

Studies predict less snow, more blizzards

Posted: 02/19/2013 12:01:00 AM MST

By Seth Borenstein
The Associated Press

With scant snowfall and barren ski slopes in parts of the Midwest and Northeast the past couple of years, some scientists have pointed to global warming as the culprit.

Then when a whopper of a blizzard smacked the Northeast with more than 2 feet of snow in some places earlier this month, some of the same people again blamed global warming.

How can that be? It's been a joke among skeptics, pointing to what seems to be a brazen contradiction.

But the answer lies in atmospheric physics. A warmer atmosphere can hold, and dump, more moisture, snow experts say. And two soon-to-be-published studies demonstrate how there can be more giant blizzards yet less snow overall each year. Projections say that's likely to continue with man-made global warming.

Consider:

The United States has been walloped by twice as many of the most extreme snowstorms in the past 50 years than in the previous 60 years, according to an upcoming study on extreme weather by leading federal and university climate scientists. This also fits with a dramatic upward trend in extreme winter precipitation — rain and snow — in the Northeastern U.S. charted by the National Climatic Data Center.

Yet the Global Snow Lab at Rutgers University says that spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has shrunk on average by 1 million square miles in the past 45 years.

And an upcoming study in the Journal of Climate says computer models predict annual global snowfall to shrink by more than a foot in the next 50 years. The study's author said most people live in parts of the United States that are likely to see annual snowfall drop by 30 to 70 percent by the end of the century.
"Shorter snow season, less snow overall, but the occasional knockout punch," Princeton University climate scientist Michael Oppenheimer said. "That's the new world we live in."

btrage

Cyburbian
It's February 19. There's no complaining about snow on February 19. Come March 1, the whining may commence.

DVD

Cyburbian
They're thinking about calling a snow day tomorrow if we get the promised 15". Come on snow!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The weatherman was carrying on in Wagnerian fashion yesterday about how we were probably gonna get hit with a blizzard and should expect a foot of snow or more......we got maybe 4-5 inches last night. Granted we're not done yet, but color me unimpressed.|-)

btrage

Cyburbian
The weatherman was carrying on in Wagnerian fashion yesterday about how we were probably gonna get hit with a blizzard and should expect a foot of snow or more......we got maybe 4-5 inches last night. Granted we're not done yet, but color me unimpressed.|-)

It started snowing here in the east side suburbs around 7:30 this morning. It's coming down pretty hard but I think it's only supposed to last a few hours. I think we're supposed to get around 2 inches.

Planit

Cyburbian
I got an email from my brother in KC. He said they got 15" to 17" yesterday and had a fun time driving home (and disregarded a few traffic lights so he wouldn't get stuck).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms with heavy rain here We may end up rooting around in the freezer for dinner; I don't go out in thunder and lightning unless I have to. I did get to the vet's (5 min from home) to pick up the cat's meds during a brief lull in the weather this morning.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RJ is always so nervous during thunderstorms (hit and miss all day today). I find them comforting, but then, I grew up with them and as RJ has said, they're rare in his hometown.

At least he hasn't had to deal with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Kissimmee_tornado_outbreak The tornado outbreak that hit central FL maybe 3 months after I bought my house down there; that was a scary night! Just realized that was 15 years ago yesterday. Yow!

btrage

Cyburbian
The next round of snow is supposed to hit Michigan tomorrow. Expecting about 6 inches in Metro Detroit, maybe more, maybe less, depending on where the rain/snow line falls.

We've had a little under the average snow fall amount this year. It hasn't seemed bad at all because it hasn't been consecutive snow, and what has come down has usually melted a fair amount by the time the next snow falls.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

A general observation about winter here this year: winter was unusually late in coming but hasn't released its grip much at all since arriving.

btrage

Cyburbian
Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

A general observation about winter here this year: winter was unusually late in coming but hasn't released its grip much at all since arriving.

I really enjoy the sense of anticipation prior to a strong thunderstorm or impending snow storm.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I really enjoy the sense of anticipation prior to a strong thunderstorm or impending snow storm.
I kinda know what you're talking about. There's a palpable feeling of excitement in the air. I understand why some folks are drawn to stormchasing as a hobby.