• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

TOFB

Cyburbian
Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

A general observation about winter here this year: winter was unusually late in coming but hasn't released its grip much at all since arriving.
looks like cold and snowy the next two weeks - 6 inches today and still coming down.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

I think we only ended up with 3 or 4 inches on this side (they were predicting about 6" for us too) but after shoveling my driveway this morning, I have to say it was the heaviest, wettest snow I can remember us getting in a very long time. When I was laying in bed reading last night, I could hear branches cracking and coming down outside and the snow shifting very creakily on the roof. I watched the guy across the street get out the chainsaw at about 6:00 a.m. when I was shoveling because he had to trim a bunch of branches from a pine tree near his garage that had sagged so much under the weight that they were blocking his car from getting out. If I were home today, it would be perfect snowman building snow.

Tide

Cyburbian
I walked out the front door to take the little one to pre-k and there was this light shining from the heavens as bright as .... oh it's the sun. Hi sun, haven't seen you for about 4 days.

btrage

Cyburbian
I think we only ended up with 3 or 4 inches on this side (they were predicting about 6" for us too) but after shoveling my driveway this morning, I have to say it was the heaviest, wettest snow I can remember us getting in a very long time. When I was laying in bed reading last night, I could hear branches cracking and coming down outside and the snow shifting very creakily on the roof. I watched the guy across the street get out the chainsaw at about 6:00 a.m. when I was shoveling because he had to trim a bunch of branches from a pine tree near his garage that had sagged so much under the weight that they were blocking his car from getting out. If I were home today, it would be perfect snowman building snow.

Same here. 3, maybe 4, inches. I went out and shoveled last night about 9 PM and it probably only snowed another inch after that. My wife shoveled that this morning and it was very heavy. The rain didn't change over to snow fast enough for more accumulation.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got at best 4 inches. But it is the HEAVIEST snow I've seen in my life!

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
84 in my neck of the woods...it is too soon for the 80's it will be in the 100's in less than 3 months.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
3" of fluffy snow so far today, and probably a couple more before we're done. I'll try to take Junior sledding across the street tonight. Probably the last chance he'll get to do so this season.

You know, I'm really not at all upset about this snow. #1 it's mid March, and as everyone in Michigan knows the entire month is fair game for snow. #2 We have had no freakish warm fronts this winter. We had a couple days in early March where it got up to about 50 but that's pretty much par for the course. This means the fruit blossoms have not bloomed early (like last year) and because spring seems to be unfolding at a normal rate, there is little chance at this point we'll have 90% of our fruit crop destroyed from early blossoming followed by prolonged cold periods. That's good news for the orchards and wineries that have suffered two consecutive disasterous springs.

btrage

Cyburbian
3" of fluffy snow so far today, and probably a couple more before we're done. I'll try to take Junior sledding across the street tonight. Probably the last chance he'll get to do so this season.

You know, I'm really not at all upset about this snow. #1 it's mid March, and as everyone in Michigan knows the entire month is fair game for snow. #2 We have had no freakish warm fronts this winter. We had a couple days in early March where it got up to about 50 but that's pretty much par for the course. This means the fruit blossoms have not bloomed early (like last year) and because spring seems to be unfolding at a normal rate, there is little chance at this point we'll have 90% of our fruit crop destroyed from early blossoming followed by prolonged cold periods. That's good news for the orchards and wineries that have suffered two consecutive disasterous springs.

No accumulation here, but there have been flurries all day.

This is about the time of year (1 day before Spring) where I start getting really tired of the cold. Just give me 40 degrees and I'm good for March. I'm done with the 25-30 degree crap. :-{

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions on the :fl: panhandle....

Partly Cloudy
71°F - 22°C
Humidity 55%
Wind Speed SE 14 G 22 mph
Barometer 30.16 in (1022.4 mb)
Dewpoint 54°F (12°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Late this past week, in Chicagoland, we've started to get what could be considered the first really nice days where you start to get that spring fever. It was 55 and sunny on Friday, and was similarly nice today. The sun and lack of wind make all the difference though. A brisk wind and clouds can make a 55 degree day utterly miserable. But when you're coming out of winter and it's sunny out, 55 degrees is so wonderful.

It's hard to believe that only three and a half weeks ago, we had a 9-inch snowfall. And now it looks as if we're heading into spring. Many ponds still have ice and there are still small snow piles in places, so we've still got some more warming up to do.

Additionally, March and April are the time of year when you really don't want to be in downtown Chicago along the lakefront, where temperatures can be 10-20 degrees colder than inland temperatures. For example, on Friday, the radio was reporting 52 at O'Hare, 55 in Aurora, and 42 at the Lakefront. So, all who are going to April Cubs games or going to the APA convention, be forewarned and come prepared!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Old Man Winter just doesn't want to let go of his grip on Metro Detroit. I was out on a half marathon on Saturday morning battling freezing rain, temps in the low 30s, and flooded trails... last year the same run had nice 60 degree weather.

Sunday around lunchtime my daughter and I were walking out of the grocery store when it suddenly began snowing... hard. You could hear a loud collective groan from the 10 or 15 people milling about on the sidewalk looking at the flower displays and sitting on the benches.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Snow flurries on Sat. Sunday got up to mid 50's and we even had a few hours of sunlight (haven't seen the sun in over a week:()

btrage

Cyburbian
Snow flurries on Sat. Sunday got up to mid 50's and we even had a few hours of sunlight (haven't seen the sun in over a week:()

Same on this side. I was able to get outside and do some yard work. It was nice.

Now I'm hoping for more rain because I put down some grass seed!!

wahday

Cyburbian
Getting warm (70s) and WINDY here. Today is supposed to be 30mph winds, tomorrow up to 40. Would be slightly more tolerable if the allergens weren't so horrible. Mulberry and Ash are high, Juniper is finally down to medium. Mulberry and Ash will certainly get up to EXTREME here in the next week or two. Once these guys leaf out, things get a lot better, but right now, its hard to be outside for any length of time without getting covered in pollen and having terrifying allergy attacks. Spring is tortuous around here.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
In Chicagoland, we saw heavy rain today...2-3 inches in some areas. We could see another 1-2 inches or so tonight and another 1-2 inches tomorrow. Flood warnings are up for much of northern Illinois as many local rivers are on the rise. Today it was on the cooler side with temps in the 50s, but tomorrow it's supposed to be up to the lower 70s and severe thunderstorms are forecast. The National Weather Service is forecasting a significant outbreak tomorrow in an area generally extending from Chicago to Memphis.

btrage

Cyburbian
Last week, the major river in my county was close to cresting, but it didn't. There was lots of flooding overall throughout the county.

It started raining heavy again last night, with more on the way today.

No flood warnings yet, just a watch, but I'm sure they'll be here.

The retention pond in my subdivision was extremely high, and it'll likely get higher today. My sump pump has been working hard since last week.

I think a generator is going to be on my list of things to buy. I do not want to have wet basement if the power goes out.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Convective Outlook map today for tornadoes is not good -

Hatched Area: 10% or greater probability of EF2 - EF5 tornadoes within 25 miles of a point

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, JNA, it looks like the main severe threat has shifted out of my area and more into southern Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee. Be safe out there!

But now in northern Illinois, we're coping with significant flooding. Roads are closed everywhere and the closures keep increasing. I made it into work but I wonder if I'll be able to find a way home. :-c Many schools have shut down throughout the region. Lots of people's basements are flooded. Several people near creeks and rivers are being evacuated, including in Utica, IL, as if that town hasn't already dealt with enough over the past several years. Apparently a sinkhole opened up and swallowed cars on the south side of Chicago. Many areas have seen upwards of 6 inches+ of rain so far and we could still see more through tomorrow.

What a terrible week...can we have a do-over?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
First part of week - upper 80's, gusty wind, humid

Today - rain, storms, upper 40's/low 50's

We need the rain down here, but that doesn't mean I want the storms while driving to work. We should dry out and be upper 60's/low 70's this weekend.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Last week, the major river in my county was close to cresting, but it didn't. There was lots of flooding overall throughout the county.

It started raining heavy again last night, with more on the way today.

No flood warnings yet, just a watch, but I'm sure they'll be here.

The retention pond in my subdivision was extremely high, and it'll likely get higher today. My sump pump has been working hard since last week.

I think a generator is going to be on my list of things to buy. I do not want to have wet basement if the power goes out.

My sister lives right near that major river in your county and when it flooded 5 or 6 years ago, their neighborhood had quite a bit of damage. She lives about two blocks from the river though and was lucky.

There's a branch of another major river that runs through our neighborhood and through some of the nearby parks. We are under a flood watch, but I haven't seen that happen on that river in our area since I've been here. The river is generally in a pretty big ravine with not much development for its 3 or 4 mile course in our area so that probably helps out. But it has been running very fast and very high lately. This morning I was out running and went through one of the trails along the river and it was the highest I've seen it, but the trail was still dry.

It was thundering and lightening quite a bit on my run this morning but luckily it didn't start actually raining until my house was back in view. The skies opened up and the rain really started coming down as I was stepping on to the porch and there was a boom of thunder loud enough that it set off a bunch of nearby car alarms. I don't recall that ever happening near me (or I'm just not normally outside to notice it).

First time this year I opened a window in my office. :brofist:

It must be nice to have an office with windows that open... or an office with windows.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
She was quite upset acutally. ;)

I hear they can be a bit touchy like that sometimes.

Severe storms forecast to reach here sometime tonight between 10PM and 2AM. It's already windy and warm, although a high deck of clouds are starting to move in. I have council tonight then have to pick my son up from rehearsal -- I hope the storms weaken and pass through closer to 10 than 2. Stay safe everybody!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's officially short sleeve weather time right now - 68 degrees - but I don't like the price tag...tornado watch until 1800 tonite:-o

DVD

Cyburbian
Our weather can't make up it's mind. One week it's a short sleeve kind of day, next (last night) we get some hail and cold winds.
Spring will start sometime.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Considering the severe weather forecast, there is this -

THE LATEST RADAR DISPLAYS FOR THE EVANSVILLE INDIANA AND
FORT CAMPBELL RADARS ARE BEING DELAYED DUE TO THE TELEPHONE
COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS.

IN ADDITION...NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTERS IN SOUTHEAST
MISSOURI...SOUTHERN ILLINOIS AND SOUTHWEST INDIANA WILL BE
IMPACTED AND MAY NOT ACTIVATE YOUR WEATHER RADIOS

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's officially short sleeve weather time right now - 68 degrees - but I don't like the price tag...tornado watch until 1800 tonite:-o

I went home at lunchtime and was outside playing with my daughter and the thermometer on the back porch read 78º! :h:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, the rain has stopped. Luckily, we didn't receive as much rain on Thursday night as they had initially forecast. In all, many locations in Chicagoland received between 4 to 7 inches of rain from this storm system. Significant flooding is occurring along the Des Plaines, Fox, DuPage, and Illinois Rivers, affecting towns like Algonquin, Dundee, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Gurnee, Des Plaines, Naperville, Warrenville, Plainfield, and the LaSalle-Peru-Ottawa area. Many rivers still haven't crested yet and are forecast to do so over the weekend. Elsewhere, flash flooding and spillovers of smaller drainage creeks and detention ponds is still occurring, and many roads are still closed, continuing to snarl traffic in the area. Luckily, many schools in the affected areas are still closed, which limits the number of people out and about. This is definitely the worst flooding we've seen in at least 5 years, if not worse.

And now it's very windy and snowing with temps in the mid-30s. :not:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After terrible weather last week, the rivers have finally receded and the sun has come out. Today and this weekend calls for partly cloudy skies and highs in the mid to upper 60s. We could see 70s early next week.:h: Finally some decent spring weather that sticks around for a little while!

Richmond Jake

Current conditions on the panhandle:

Fair
86°F - 30°C
Humidity: 24%
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.20 in (1023.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 45°F (7°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

More of this tomorrow. Slight chance of a thunderstorm on Sunday afternoon. Yes, spring is here.

Richmond Jake

Current conditions on the panhandle:

Partly Cloudy
82°F - 28°C
Humidity: 55%
Wind Speed: S 16 G 21 mph
Barometer: 30.14 in (1021.9 mb)
Dewpoint: 64°F (18°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi
Heat Index: 84°F (29°C)

It was simply hell by the pool today. :h:

btrage

Cyburbian
My wife and I expanded the flower bed in front of our house yesterday. In the freaking rain.

OMG!!!! STOP EFFING RAINING!!!!!!!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Weekend temps in the 80's, sunny, a bit humid.:)

Today through Weds. night - 80's, sunny. :)

Weds night - arctic blast comes through (they're calling it the Yukon Yeller :() and we're back in the 50's :-o and 60's for 2 days.

No wonder I keep thinking I'm getting a cold. Hot-cold-hot-cold does not bode well for my health.

And for those of you with all the rain - SEND IT DOWN HERE!!! Please!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's 80, there's a freeze watch on. Better bring the brass monkeys in tonight.

DVD

Cyburbian
Something like 80 yesterday. Today possible snow. Make up your damn mind.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Storms today; the a/c people cancelled their maintenance call. Rescheduled for tomorrow; too bad, weather looks worse tomorrow. Couple inches rain, some thunderstorms. The summer rains are starting early.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
75 and sunny. A nice day by the pool. Now, I get to spend the next few days pulling up invasive vines in the front yard, and finishing pressure washing the pool patio.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Early this morning, it got down to 30. This afternoon, it's 63 and sunny, cooler near the Lake.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to get up to 88! That's a 32-hour temperature swing of almost 60 degrees!