• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

    Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
19,337
Points
71
High 60s (low 20s in cultured, sophisticated European degrees), and a nit hazy.

A7V0vz2.jpg
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
30,148
Points
74
Lawbreakers!
Not a molester van to be sure, but I have the feeling the owners would be only too happy to sell you unlicensed medicinal herbs and/or hand-crafted jewelry without a proper vendor's permit.

(Dan, you really should consider starting a photo thread titled "Haight-Ashbury east: a pictorial glossary of Ithacan culture")
 

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Messages
8,278
Points
28
Lawbreakers!
Not a molester van to be sure, but I have the feeling the owners would be only too happy to sell you unlicensed medicinal herbs and/or hand-crafted jewelry without a proper vendor's permit.

(Dan, you really should consider starting a photo thread titled "Haight-Ashbury east: a pictorial glossary of Ithacan culture")

I'm pretty sure that the owners of that van are considered to be conservative business people in Ithaca.
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
26,673
Points
70
Oklahoma Tornadoes -

would you be flying in a helicopter to film a tornado ?
 

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Messages
8,278
Points
28
Massive tornado just tore through Moore, OK and it looks like Shawnee that got hit yesterday might be in for another. I was in Moore in 1999 after a huge tornado devastated the city. They're reporting that this one is even worse, funnel was 1 to 1.5 miles across. Possible EF4.
 

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Messages
1,730
Points
20
Massive tornado just tore through Moore, OK and it looks like Shawnee that got hit yesterday might be in for another. I was in Moore in 1999 after a huge tornado devastated the city. They're reporting that this one is even worse, funnel was 1 to 1.5 miles across. Possible EF4.

Looks like a terrible repeat of 1999. The local news in OKC is saying the path was about 3/4 mile south of the 1999 tornado. Reporting fatalities too :( I have family that live in OKC, fortunately they live on the northside.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,300
Points
44
Current conditions:

Smoke (a couple of controlled burns in progress)
86°F - 30°C
Humidity 53%
Wind Speed SW 13 mph
Barometer 29.95 in (1015.3 mb)
Dewpoint 67°F (19°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 89°F (32°C)
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
Current conditions:

Smoke (a couple of controlled burns in progress)
86°F - 30°C
Humidity 53%
Wind Speed SW 13 mph
Barometer 29.95 in (1015.3 mb)
Dewpoint 67°F (19°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 89°F (32°C)

Late this year, but I was in the pool today. We had a mild winter, but it took forever for the pool to heat up.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,300
Points
44
It's warm this afternoon...

Fair
86°F - 30°C
Humidity 80%
Wind Speed W 14 mph
Barometer 30.08 in (1018.9 mb)
Dewpoint 79°F (26°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 100°F (38°C)
 

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Messages
1,753
Points
21
It was 35, windy, and misty this morning. It's gotten up to about 45 this afternoon, and is now plummeting. We're in for a freeze tonight, so I tucked the tomato plants and cleome seedling in the garage, and brought the four o'clocks inside the house. I'm worried about them because I think the back porch was just too cold for them. We'll see.
 

Tide

Cyburbian
Messages
2,719
Points
24
Glad we went to the beach last night. We went to avoid the weekend crowds, but it's only 60 degrees this morning, probably good enough for you Mainers but not for me.
 

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Messages
4,895
Points
27
Despite the report on the Today show this morning, we did not get snow.

Yeeesh, I wish these people would learn their geography. :r: "Storm dumps three feet of snow on upstate New York!" No, parts of the Adirondack Mountains got snow. That's not even "most" of upstate New York.
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
Despite the report on the Today show this morning, we did not get snow.

Yeeesh, I wish these people would learn their geography. :r: "Storm dumps three feet of snow on upstate New York!" No, parts of the Adirondack Mountains got snow. That's not even "most" of upstate New York.

Rumpy sent RJ a pic of snow today so we just assumed there was snow in Buffalo today?
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
26,673
Points
70
Thunderstorm watch canceled.
 

Attachments

  • Untitled mon.jpg
    Untitled mon.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Messages
14,255
Points
57
It has been beautiful since last Friday here. The pollen for the most part is gone. Partly Cloudy/Mostly Sunny with lows in the mid-60s and highs in the lower 80s. Great weather for sitting on the deck in the evening and driving around with all the windows and sunroof in the car open.
 

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Messages
11,251
Points
52
It looks like some storms are starting to roll through the area this afternoon. The lights in the office have flickered a half dozen times in the past 30 minutes. I should probably save everything and just shut my computer until the sun comes back out.
 

btrage

Cyburbian
Messages
6,427
Points
27
It looks like some storms are starting to roll through the area this afternoon. The lights in the office have flickered a half dozen times in the past 30 minutes. I should probably save everything and just shut my computer until the sun comes back out.

Just hitting my part of the county right now. Looks like the worst of it is north of me though. Sever Thunderstorm Warning.
 

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Messages
11,251
Points
52
Just hitting my part of the county right now. Looks like the worst of it is north of me though. Sever Thunderstorm Warning.

The actual rain only lasted about 10 minutes here. Just long enough for me to decide to run out to my vehicle at the start of the rain to get my raincoat and umbrella. :r:
 

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Messages
11,251
Points
52
We've had a few days in the 80s so far this spring, but really not too many. It seems like it's been a relatively cool season this year. Even now, looking at the 10 day forecast the warmest we get is 78º. Yesterday morning and this morning were both in the 40s and there were frost warnings a bit to the west yesterday.

My wife is really wanting to take our daughter to the beach but it will be a long way off at this rate. Oh well... at least it will mean my lawn doesn't dry out and burn up as early as it normally does.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
30,148
Points
74
We've had a few days in the 80s so far this spring, but really not too many. It seems like it's been a relatively cool season this year. Even now, looking at the 10 day forecast the warmest we get is 78º. Yesterday morning and this morning were both in the 40s and there were frost warnings a bit to the west yesterday.
I'm in no hurry to see temps climbing above 80.
 

btrage

Cyburbian
Messages
6,427
Points
27
We've had a few days in the 80s so far this spring, but really not too many. It seems like it's been a relatively cool season this year. Even now, looking at the 10 day forecast the warmest we get is 78º. Yesterday morning and this morning were both in the 40s and there were frost warnings a bit to the west yesterday.

My wife is really wanting to take our daughter to the beach but it will be a long way off at this rate. Oh well... at least it will mean my lawn doesn't dry out and burn up as early as it normally does.

We've yet to turn our A/C on, which is rare based on the last few years.
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,843
Points
40
I am not believing we may be getting a tropical storm tomorrow. Just when the guy is coming to fix the pool enclosure screen...
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,069
Points
34
I was going to be driving home from New Mexico last Friday, taking Interstate 40, which would have put me in the Oklahoma City area just about the time the tornado hit. At the last minute I decided to take a couple more days to drive around.

When I arrived home I wondered why my vegetable garden was doing so poorly. Perhaps it has something to do with the weather? It reached 62 yesterday. In June. This is crazy.
 

btrage

Cyburbian
Messages
6,427
Points
27
I was going to be driving home from New Mexico last Friday, taking Interstate 40, which would have put me in the Oklahoma City area just about the time the tornado hit. At the last minute I decided to take a couple more days to drive around.

When I arrived home I wondered why my vegetable garden was doing so poorly. Perhaps it has something to do with the weather? It reached 62 yesterday. In June. This is crazy.

I detest this cool weather in the Great Lakes. I need it hot.

When I retire I am definitely moving to where it is warm. The only exception would be maybe retiring along the coast of Lake Michigan.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
30,148
Points
74
When I arrived home I wondered why my vegetable garden was doing so poorly. Perhaps it has something to do with the weather? It reached 62 yesterday. In June. This is crazy.

My garden is doing abysmally as well.
 

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Messages
11,251
Points
52
I didn't finally get my garden in until this past Wednesday (I don't grow much from seed) so hopefully that will be my saving grace. And my lawn looks fantastic!

One good thing about this cool weather is that it is very nice for running. There always seems to be about 0% humidity in the early morning (and late evening) lately which is very comfortable. Usually by now, when I run at 5:00 a.m. it is often close to 70º with 60% or more humidity.

On the down side - I have no roof or doors on my Jeep and it's June and I still have to wear a wool sweater and jacket on my way to work in the mornings. WTF?
 

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Messages
4,895
Points
27
I didn't finally get my garden in until this past Wednesday (I don't grow much from seed) so hopefully that will be my saving grace. And my lawn looks fantastic!

One good thing about this cool weather is that it is very nice for running. There always seems to be about 0% humidity in the early morning (and late evening) lately which is very comfortable. Usually by now, when I run at 5:00 a.m. it is often close to 70º with 60% or more humidity.

On the down side - I have no roof or doors on my Jeep and it's June and I still have to wear a wool sweater and jacket on my way to work in the mornings. WTF?

Garden?? Aside from 2 days of hot, humid weather, with temps in the 80s and 90s, we've had a cold, wet spring, and I keep postponing plans to get some tomato plants for my deck. I've been wearing long sleeves, and sometimes a jacket, for most of the week. "WTF?" is right. :r:
 

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Messages
5,334
Points
25
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

High risk of severe weather for pretty much all of northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and far eastern Iowa. This designation is pretty rare around here and happens maybe once or twice a year. 60% chance of damaging winds. 30% chance of hail. 10% or greater chance of strong to violent tornadoes (EF2-EF5).

Looks like the action could spread into MI, OH, and the Mid-Atlantic later tonight.

Be careful everyone!
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
30,148
Points
74
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

High risk of severe weather for pretty much all of northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and far eastern Iowa. This designation is pretty rare around here and happens maybe once or twice a year. 60% chance of damaging winds. 30% chance of hail. 10% or greater chance of strong to violent tornadoes (EF2-EF5).

Looks like the action could spread into MI, OH, and the Mid-Atlantic later tonight.

Be careful everyone!

Yikes! So that's what our electrical inspector was yammering about earlier
 

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
12,006
Points
46
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

High risk of severe weather for pretty much all of northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and far eastern Iowa. This designation is pretty rare around here and happens maybe once or twice a year. 60% chance of damaging winds. 30% chance of hail. 10% or greater chance of strong to violent tornadoes (EF2-EF5).

Looks like the action could spread into MI, OH, and the Mid-Atlantic later tonight.

Be careful everyone!

Yikes, my family is in the middle of the high risk area.8-!

Here it's SUMMER We need a sweaty emoticon:not::r::':)wall:
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,852
Points
47

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Messages
2,441
Points
30
It's so foggy today, here on the coast, that it felt like it was raining on me when I walked out to get lunch. June Gloom is in full force. But I actually don't ever mind it because it makes for nice sleeping weather.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,300
Points
44
Our weather at this hour:

Partly Cloudy
85°F - 29°C
Humidity 81%
Wind Speed W 13 mph
Barometer 30.02 in (1016.9 mb)
Dewpoint 78°F (26°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 97°F (36°C)
 

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Messages
4,895
Points
27
Flood watch in the county next door. It's been raining - a deluge - for the last 12 hours. I am so sick of the rain.

June showers brings... mosquitos. :-{
 
Top