• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
North metro Atlanta got clobbered last night - hellacious thunderstorms and winds up to 80 mph. No damage to my house, but the yard is trashed, a tree is down in back (which thankfully fell away from the house), and there are a bunch of snapped and hanging limbs I'll have to prune. Power stayed on, phone stayed on, DSL just came back up, and the cable is out. I think the worst of it in this area went slightly to to the east of us.

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm starting to wonder if we'll need to turn the A/C on at all this year.

So far, there's only been 1 or 2 days that we've considered it, but ended up not turning it on.

Granted, it takes a lot for us to have to turn the A/C on, but this is rare based on recent summers.

Midori

Cyburbian
I drove through some pretty nasty thunderstorms to a meeting yesterday afternoon. At one point I pulled over and ran into a grocery store after hearing a tornado warning issued for a storm cell headed right toward me (never done that before, but :-c). Lots of downed limbs and a few weaker trees snapped, and a LOT of water, but thankfully no worse in my immediate area. Good thoughts to all you who had it worse.

Planit

Cyburbian
We got hit pretty good about 4:00 yesterday. One neighborhood in town lost several trees, with a few on houses. One of my friends had a tree which broke about 30 feet up and landed standing straight up in the driveway leaning against another oak. No power for a day or 2 they say. The line of storms produced 70 mph straight line winds doing the damage. Two big trees in the park were uprooted leaving big holes in the ground. The whirrrrrrrr of chainsaws was heard in several directions.

In our neighborhood we had lots of limbs and branches down but no trees thank goodness.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
We got hit pretty good about 4:00 yesterday. One neighborhood in town lost several trees, with a few on houses. One of my friends had a tree which broke about 30 feet up and landed standing straight up in the driveway leaning against another oak. No power for a day or 2 they say. The line of storms produced 70 mph straight line winds doing the damage. Two big trees in the park were uprooted leaving big holes in the ground. The whirrrrrrrr of chainsaws was heard in several directions.

In our neighborhood we had lots of limbs and branches down but no trees thank goodness.

It was pretty wild in the Triangle right at rush hour....lots of folks with down trees and no power. I saw some pine trees do things they shouldn't on 40 yesterday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Around 7:15 last night the tornado sirens were going off in my neighborhood. After about 4 years I think that was the first time I've ever heard them here. There was not a cloud in the sky and there never was any rain or anything but friends who live just a few miles to the northeast were posting some pictures of a very nasty sky. Thankfully, I haven't heard of much damage in the immediate area (though about 40 miles north there was a bit).

btrage

Cyburbian
Around 7:15 last night the tornado sirens were going off in my neighborhood. After about 4 years I think that was the first time I've ever heard them here. There was not a cloud in the sky and there never was any rain or anything but friends who live just a few miles to the northeast were posting some pictures of a very nasty sky. Thankfully, I haven't heard of much damage in the immediate area (though about 40 miles north there was a bit).

The sirens went off by me too around 4:30 and again around 5:00. I was at work, but my wife said she saw some scary looking clouds.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The sirens went off by me too around 4:30 and again around 5:00. I was at work, but my wife said she saw some scary looking clouds.

Here's a pic that a friend took that was probably not far from your hood.

2ymsq36.jpg

It looks like a giant tidal wave is about to engulf the houses. 8-!

Bubba

Cyburbian
We've probably received three to four inches of rain over the last three days, so it makes perfect sense to me that the guy across the street from my house was running his sprinkler system in-between rain showers yesterday afternoon. :r:

Brocktoon

Cyburbian

2ymsq36.jpg

If that was brown it would look like a haboob. My parents house got hit by an F1 tornado a few years back and they live on the Western side of Michigan. My folks were in South Haven and my grandmother slept through the whole thing. The house was fine...most the trees were not and the church nearby lost its roof.

Midori

Cyburbian

That is an amazing picture! I showed it to husband, and he asked if it was real! (Then he asked why the person was taking a picture and not hiding in a basement.)

btrage

Cyburbian

2ymsq36.jpg

I showed this pic to my wife and she said this was the cloud formation she saw by our house. She took the girls to the basement. Again, no actual tornadoes formed.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That is an amazing picture! I showed it to husband, and he asked if it was real! (Then he asked why the person was taking a picture and not hiding in a basement.)

The girl who took the photo is a professional photographer that I went to high school. She's probably much better with a camera, and much more willing to get an interesting and potentially dangerous picture than me.

Midori

Cyburbian
The girl who took the photo is a professional photographer that I went to high school. She's probably much better with a camera, and much more willing to get an interesting and potentially dangerous picture than me.

Yeah, that's a hard shot to pass up. She did a great job!

btrage

Cyburbian
Ugh. Too much rain this summer.

It's freakin raining again.

I can deal with it not being hot, but all the rain we're getting sucks.

I guess it's good for our lake levels though.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Sucks about your guys' weather issues :S

Hot and sunny for the long weekend we have here, alas I am at work today and tomorrow, I only get the holiday off, which is Monday. Hopefully the weather stays until then. We have "high temperature warnings" which is pretty awesome! Hitting the 30's (C) tomorrow! It's muggy and sticky but I will certainly take it! Surely 'winter' will be back next week.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What a difference between year -

High Temp last year was 107.
yesterday it was 84.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

at 6am it is 67 degrees.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Setting record highs in AZ. It was 120f/48C in Phoenix yesterday. I was in the charming Northern Arizona community of Jerome where it seems to be a city ordinance that to get a job you have to have a tattoo.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Friday: thunderstorms from 6-9 a.m., frantic new puppy had to go. Sunny afternoon.
Saturday: thunderstorms from 2-10 a.m., frantic new puppy again, then periodic storms all day.
Sunday: no early a.m. stuff, puppy OK, then storms off and on all day again.

We're over the rain/storms.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Current conditions:

Fair 86°F - 30°C
Humidity 67%
Wind Speed - S 10 mph
Barometer 29.97 in (1015.2 mb)
Dewpoint 74°F (23°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 94°F (34°C)

Starting tomorrow night through Friday night, we may received up to 5-inches of rain on already saturated soils. Good thing we'll be in Mississippi.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Current Conditions along the Ohio River

Partly Cloudy 77°F

Humidity 66%
Wind Speed W 9 mph
Barometer 29.96 in (1014.1 mb)
Dewpoint 65°F (18°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 79°F (26°C)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What did we do to piss off the Baby Jesus so much?

5jlSbww.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When it's only 7:50 a.m. and it's already 81 out you know it's going to be a hot one.:(

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
At 5:00 a.m. today it was 76º with 99% humidity - didn't make for a pleasant run (and the temperature only continued to rise while I was out).

Yeah it's 91 right now with 65% humidity. I'll take a -10 in January any day.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
The great thing about this time of year we get rain...the bad thing is we get a high humidity. Wednesday could be 106 with humidity in the 60% range.

Vancity

Cyburbian
On our third week straight of temps in the mid 20's/70's and clear skies, and it's only supposed to continue. I don't think has ever happened in my total 11 years on the west coast. I am outside every second that I can be.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
One wave of thunderstorms after another for the last 4 hours. There was one little window where I got the dog to go for a walk and do his business. We're talking the house-rattling, "there goes the cable again" storms. And there's more coming.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
This morning I forgot it was summer. 60 degrees and not humid. I would very much like this every morning. Forever.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This morning I forgot it was summer. 60 degrees and not humid. I would very much like this every morning. Forever.

It was 57º here in Detroit at 5:15 a.m. It's been quite a few weeks since it was that cool and pleasant on my morning runs. I didn't even have to bother with the sweat band today! :h:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian

Me too. It's in the 70s here today, with a pleasant breeze. It would be a great day to take an afternoon nap in the sun. :z:

A colleague was going kayaking today. Smart fellow.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Weather.com says it's 71 outside but I don't believe them, I wanted a sweater when I walked outside to get lunch... brrr.

At lunch I noticed an unusual number of guys in line at Panera... usually guys head for the Chipotle next door (not always, but more often than not, unless they are with their girlfriends). Must be the "cold" weather, they all wanted soup. :)

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Hey, I like the smell of a good skunk! AC went out late today. It's now 82 in the house and about 81 outside tonight with the cloud cover. Ugh. Super ugh. j

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We've had thunderstorms every day for over 3 weeks. While it's normal to have brief afternoon storms most days during summer, it's odd to have them at all hours, which is what's been happening.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-o 53 degrees at 6 am.

Record Low: 49 degrees in 1962
Normal is 67.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It was 64 d. here at mid-morning. Then the clouds parted and the sun came out and there was steam coming off the roof tiles. Then the humidity was crushing.