• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a huge rainfall Saturday morning - it not only washed our golf game out, it literally washed out the golf course. 7 holes were completely submerged and the clean up is going to be al long process and hopefully will be done by the Champions Tour event in October. Hopefully the greens aren't completely ruined. A street bridge at the course collapsed. (Note: I made them have a second entrance when I was the planner there. They were pissed then, but I'm sure they're happy now)

There are 2 bridge washouts in our community. In Big Owl's city there are a couple out as well on major roads. Totals indicate 9" of rain fell on Saturday in basically just 6 hours. It started around 4:30 / 5:00 am and lasted until just after lunchtime.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
63 this morning in late July

I don't know what the temps were this morning but I'm going to guess upper 50's. Yeah, this cool weather has been a nice break from the blazing summer we had going on.

otterpop

Cyburbian
We've had some crazy weather of late. Typically this is our dry, sunny season (mid July to mid August). It is usually hot, hot; very dry; lawns go dormant unless you want to pay a huge water bill; and the forest fires burning all over the West means a month-long stint of the air smelling like a campfire 24/7.

Instead we've had plenty of rain and thunderstorms. Yesterday I was on my way to pick up my wife for our dental appointment and got caught in the mother of rain and hailstorms. Big, hard, pelting hail mixes with buckets of rain. I was glad to be in my car. But I could hardly see it was raining and hailing so hard. The centerline of the road became an approximation. Really it was like driving by memory. Within minutes the streets were covered with sheets of water and the curb and gutters were torrents. Never seen a rainstorm like it around here.

Twice lately I've been awakened by thunderstorms and pelting rain on the bedroom windows, and spent an hour or so contemplating Ursus' "The Soul's Midnight" when I should have been asleep.

But on the other hand, the air smells clean and the temperatures aren't bad at all. My lawn is greening up again. Weird.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
89°F - 32°C
Humidity 70%
Wind Speed SW 14 mph
Barometer 30.02 in (1016.9 mb)
Dewpoint 78°F (26°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 103°F (39°C)

Thankfully, we have a pool. As and alternative, I need to find an air-conditioned macy*s. :h:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was sunny all weekend and I don't think the temps ever got much above 80º. There was also a nice, constant, light breeze and the humidity was non-existent. I cannot recall a more pleasant weekend, weather-wise, in a long time. It was welcomed too as Saturday we had a birthday party for our daughter and the past few years we had to have everybody inside most of the time because it was just too hot.

Us Detroiters may have mad some complaints early on about it being a cool summer, but I'm starting to really like it.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's been raining everyday this week. It makes for some humid days. We've only had a little bit of flooding that washed out some roads, but just south of us it's getting into homes.

btrage

Cyburbian
It was sunny all weekend and I don't think the temps ever got much above 80º. There was also a nice, constant, light breeze and the humidity was non-existent. I cannot recall a more pleasant weekend, weather-wise, in a long time. It was welcomed too as Saturday we had a birthday party for our daughter and the past few years we had to have everybody inside most of the time because it was just too hot.

Us Detroiters may have mad some complaints early on about it being a cool summer, but I'm starting to really like it.

Generally, I prefer it very hot. But after it was 95 degrees with high humidity for 10 days straight in July, it's been nice to have the windows open and the A/C off. I'm sure my electric bill is liking it as well. I would agree that this relatively cooler summer has been a nice change of pace.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Conditions on the panhandle at 6:00 pm CDT:

Fair 89°F - 32°C
Humidity 68%
Wind Speed W 10 mph
Barometer 29.93 in (1013.8 mb)
Dewpoint 77°F (25°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 102°F (39°C)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Conditions in Dallas at 2:30 pm CDT:

Partly Sunny 103°F
Humidity 28%
Wind Speed SSW 9 mph
Barometer 29.81 in
Dewpoint 65°F
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 108°F

Forecast to hit 105°F actual later today.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
At noon, we had thunderstorms moving over us from southeast to northwest.

Now they are moving northeast to south/southwest. Strange.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Really foggy this morning. More fog than I have seen in a long time. Interesting drive in to work...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had severe thunderstorms yesterday but I have to say on the whole I've really enjoyed the weather the last three weeks; not too hot, and the cool evenings have felt like late September instead of early August. The weather gods do get it right now and then.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had severe thunderstorms yesterday but I have to say on the whole I've really enjoyed the weather the last three weeks; not too hot, and the cool evenings have felt like late September instead of early August. The weather gods do get it right now and then.

We have two days in the 10 day forecast where we are projected to break 80º and in the four years that I've lived in my house, my lawn has never made it this far into August without being entirely burnt to a crisp.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
An extended Fall would be wonderful. I am on board with 55 in the AM 74 in the PM.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What a way to end summer -

HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CDT SUNDAY

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is going to be fun on my allergies...
This weekend will be approaching 90 and humid.
Next Monday it might not hit 70.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Big thunder for the last two hours, and maybe 5 min of hard rain, half an hour ago. Good thing the dog went out before it started.

Vancity

Cyburbian
I'm fairly sure the next news headline in my municipality is going to be "Receptionist Freezes to Death at Desk"

EDIT: wow this post is surprisingly in line with the current topic of conversation, which I did not read before posting.
EDITED EDIT: aw crap, I was trying to post in the RTDNTOTO... How did I end up in here!?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sucked here today. Drizzle started at noon, thunder at 1, rain and more thunder, a little window to take the dog out, now thunder from another approaching storm for the last hour.

So much for lounging by the pool with margaritas... :r:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was in the high 40's the past two nights and never got warmer than 60 yesterday... The wife took it upon herself to turn the heat on this morning when she got up. WAY too early to have the heat on. :-{

Living in a 110+ year Victorian is not an enjoyable experience in the cold months. We actually have two furnaces from when it was 4 apartments and I put a seal & peel caulk on the window jambs and then put shrink plastic up. :-|

I turned it back off and put sweaters on the kids. ;)

ColoGI

Cyburbian
All the Coloradans are too busy cleaning up to comment (we live on the top of a hill, so minimal cleanup).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rain, off and on, sometimes pretty heavy, all weekend. Took the dog for a walk tonight and he was enjoying the drizzle until it turned into a downpour and we all got a good soaking. Crap. And I/the kid still have to take him out a time or two again tonight.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rain, off and on, sometimes pretty heavy, all weekend. Took the dog for a walk tonight and he was enjoying the drizzle until it turned into a downpour and we all got a good soaking. Crap. And I/the kid still have to take him out a time or two again tonight.

It is good to have dogs. The outside temperature was 41 degrees this morning, while it was a balmy 57 inside the house. It might be warmer if I did not leave the windows open. Fortunately the dogs understand the idea of huddling together to stay warm. Luke (aka Little Dog, who weighs in at 70 pounds) sleeps directly on top of me. Shadow Bigpaws Longtail, the longest of the dogs, stretches out against my leg and usually drapes his chin over my ankle. Emma Rose is right above him, pressed up against my side with he nose tucked into my shoulder. I can't move, but I am warm.

Earlier in the evening it is somewhat the same story. Luke lays on top of me in the recliner, and he allows Emma to lay up there on top of us both. For the first time this last week, I had all three dogs get up in the chair on top of me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We might be getting a tropical storm/system this weekend. Here's my list: bank, library, gas, water, wine, pet food, beer, Diet Dew, bring in anything in the yard that would blow around. Fun fun fun...:not:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We might be getting a tropical storm/system this weekend. Here's my list: bank, library, gas, water, wine, pet food, beer, Diet Dew, bring in anything in the yard that would blow around. Fun fun fun...:not:

Predictions are up to 6.3 inches of rain this weekend. Good grief, like we haven't had enough torrential rain this year.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
It's "high cotton" weather here in VA, whatever the heck that means.. 67 degrees as of the time of this post so quite pleasant actually.

btrage

Cyburbian
We've had a great stretch of early fall weather here in the Mitten. Warm (almost hot) during the day. Cool evenings. Perfect.

Planit

Cyburbian
I wish I could bottle the weather today and sell in in a couple months.

Hey maybe I can and sell it on ebay - anybody want to buy a nice fall day for $100

beach_bum

Cyburbian
A really-rainy Monday here in NC. It is sad for several reasons:

one being its Monday and it makes a gloomy day even more gloomy
two being that this weekend was gloriously late summer-like and this signals the end of that and
three that colder weather will be here tomorrow

I even went running the hottest part of each day this weekend just because it was so warm!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some places locally had as much as 7" of rain this past weekend. That makes Saturday the wettest day ever recorded in October here, and the month of October is now the wettest October ever. And it's only the 7th 8-! ...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're currently under a tornado watch :-{

Video of conditions outside my office right now (sound is the air whistling through the window and rain hitting it and the a/c) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=746285092307&l=8716970405273982588

Photo

1374175_746285985517_2051811575_n.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It has been absolutely gorgeous in Chicagoland over the past week. Sunny with temps in the low 70s. We've been really spoiled the past few falls. May, September, and October are really the best months around here.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Freeze Warning for Friday morning. :-o

WILL LIKELY YIELD A KILLING FREEZE