• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Budgie

Cyburbian
We had the most intense electrical strom I've ever witnessed roll through town on Sunday night. On Monday morning there was a downtown building significantly damaged, 4 computers in City Hall were fried along with the internet hardware, routers and the printer/fax/copier/scanner combo. I was doing memos by hand.

There was a bolt of lightening that struck on my block and scared the crap out of my dog who was buried in my closet. So, I went out on the porch at 2:30 a.m. and enjoyed it. Fireworks have nothing on a good electrical storm.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Wow. Big ass thunderstorm overhead at the moment. We need this rain so bad; it's a good thing. 'Course that means I'll have to cut the grass the weekend. So I don't bother the neighbors, I'll mow Sunday morning when everyone is at church. So considerate of me. Then I'll consume the sparkling wine.... :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
We had the most intense electrical strom I've ever witnessed roll through town on Sunday night.
You're in a little town. Did Michael J Fox go forward in time during this storm?;) :-D Oh, sorry strom...

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Wow. Big ass thunderstorm overhead at the moment. We need this rain so bad; it's a good thing. 'Course that means I'll have to cut the grass the weekend. So I don't bother the neighbors, I'll mow Sunday morning when everyone is at church. So considerate of me. Then I'll consume the sparkling wine.... :-D
Do you wear your speedo when you cut the grass??????????

Richmond Jake

What a difference 12 hours make. Perfect morning on the panhandle--not a cloud in the sky. 'Bout ready to head outside with a book. Need to do it now, as it will probably rain this afternoon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just attended a National Weather Service delivered training on radar interpretation to improve weather spotter knowledge and skills.
Covered the physics of the radar, the numerous images they produce on their website, criteria leading up to watches and warnings, and our roles as EMA and spotters.

He used the time sequence and different elevation images from our Nov. 6th tornado as an example.

Richmond Jake

The weather will be changing on the panhandle. Trust me. My left knee and right elbow are popping and cracking to no end. I don't care what the forecasters are telling us. I know what my knee and elbow tell me. Things are changing.....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well around here weather is turning spring-ish... which is great for me... since I'm not that prone to alergies and it also means that I should start dusting off the bike :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Watch until 12 am for
7 counties in SE Illinois;
6 in SW IN; and
22 counties in western KY.

Post 5775

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There's a Tornado Watch for all of Chicagoland.

Right now, the county I'm in (DeKalb County, IL) is under a Tornado Warning! :-c Kane County is as well.

I'm not going in the basement yet, as the tornadic storm appears to be skirting just to my east.

Now, for DuPage and NW Cook as well:
National Weather Service said:
AT 432 PM CDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD JUST
NORTH OF I-88 AND KIRK ROAD. ALSO...DUPAGE COUNTY EMERGENCY
MANAGEMENT REPORTED STRONG ROTATION IN THE CLOUD BASE AT WEST
CHICAGO AT 435 PM CDT.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Tornadoes scare the bejeebies out of me. Worse than any other kind of disaster. Hopefully things will be okay there!

Yeah, things are better...it's all sunny and clear now. Doesn't appear to be any damage. But the sky looked ominous and there were actually confirmed sightings of funnel clouds throughout the area. Not sure of any touchdowns though.

However, my dorm made an announcement for everyone to go to the basement when the sirens started going off.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Yeah, things are better...it's all sunny and clear now. Doesn't appear to be any damage. But the sky looked ominous and there were actually confirmed sightings of funnel clouds throughout the area. Not sure of any touchdowns though.

However, my dorm made an announcement for everyone to go to the basement when the sirens started going off.

Meh, sirens go off here three or four times a year. We usually grab the camera and head outside. The one time there was a tornado, the sirens didn't go off. Now they sound them anytime the wind blows. Ever hear the story of the boy who cried wolf?

Richmond Jake

The forecast for the weekend looks good. Should be able to get some pool time in before I head for Marco Island on Wednesday. :D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We had a "Florida cold front" move thru yesterday. It got down to 68 d. in the a.m. but was back up to 88 by the afternoon. Around 90 d. today. Yep, cold for Sept down here...

natski

Cyburbian
Well we are in the begining of spring and the weather has been awesome- 30 degrees for the past couple of days and they are predicting 33 degrees tomorrow.

Beach may be a little cold still but

BKM

Cyburbian
Howling winds. 10-15% humidity. 85 degrees. Red Flag Warnings galore. Not the fun time of year. Winter rains, hurry up!

At least it's not blazingly hot. I can live with 85.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Taste Of What's To Come

Perhaps those Cyburbians who live in warmer climes should not read this post. You may get jealous. ;)

Forecast for NW Ohio for Thursday and Friday of this second week of October includes a hint of snow flurry activity. Just-in-case-ya-wondered.....Toledo has registered snowfall ACCUMULATION only four times in all those years of record-keeping.

Forecast for Houghton, MI for the same time period.....Winter Storm Warning. They are expecting 5-7 inches of blowing snow, especially on the higher elevations. (Houghton is a cool college town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, situated on that pointy-thing that sticks out into Lake Superior.....the Keweenaw Peninsula.)

Hey, BKM.....Are you missing the midwest? Blowing snow, shoveling the drive, sliding on the ice on the over-passes..... :-D

Bear

donk

Cyburbian
Perhaps those Cyburbians who live "up north" should not read this post. Low today of 68 d., high of 79. Cold for early Oct in central Florida!

Today was a perfect fall day here, a bit chilly in the shade/wind, but gorgeous in the woods and in the sun.

The smell of moist leaves on the ground was awesome.

Onyl thing that woul dhave made it better was hot apple cider.

BKM

Cyburbian
:-D
Hey, BKM.....Are you missing the midwest? Blowing snow, shoveling the drive, sliding on the ice on the over-passes..... :-D

Bear

To be honest, what I really disliked about the Midwest was summer humidity. That and the utterly gray, colorless landscape of say, late February.

It's been sunny, very dry, and warm, but not hot. Quite pleasant, although I would prefer it to be about ten degrees cooler. The leaves on the orchard trees, ornamentals, and grape vines are beginning to turn, which is nice.

Still...the winds are picking up this evening, and there are "Red Flag" warnings for the Bay Area hills (fire danger is extreme).

We actually had our first rain of the season last week. It dropped into the 60s (as a high). Probably a quarter/tenth of an inch.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
My friend left me a message last night to let me know he was walking home in the snow in some freak lake effect snow storm in Buffalo. I turned on the t.v. this morning and it looks like they got anywheres from 1 to 2 feet. Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.

SGB

Cyburbian
My friend left me a message last night to let me know he was walking home in the snow in some freak lake effect snow storm in Buffalo. I turned on the t.v. this morning and it looks like they got anywheres from 1 to 2 feet. Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.

I just heard on the radio that a 20 exit stretch of the NY State Thruway from Rochester to Buffalo is now closed due to the lake effect snowfall!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.

I heard on CNN that Tom Jolls was stuck on the Thruway between Rochester and Buffalo!

There's absolutely nothing on the ground in Cleveland, even in the snowbelt around Geauga County. There was a little bit of hail yesterday, but that was it. It's sunny and clear, although a bit chilly; I turned on the furnace for the first time this year.

johnelsden1

Early Snow

So is this lake effect snow a by-product of global warming? And what caused the massive meltdown of the ice caps 10,000 years ago? And why haven't we broken all records the weather bureau has recorded over the last 100 years?

I grew up in the Boston area and have lived around the country.......we have bad winters in the northeast in the 60's & 70's, but nobody yelled GLOBAL COOLING! And my grandparents tell me about the iceflows at Revere Beach in the 20's & 30's........how do we rationalize these events?

Anyway, anyone going to Corpus for the Texas APA next week? If so, see ya there!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
we have bad winters in the northeast in the 60's & 70's, but nobody yelled GLOBAL COOLING!

Yes there was people yelling about the catastrophic effects of Global Cooling and how this could bring many species to extinction and all the same alarmist BS you hear from the Global Warming fearmongers that coincidentally were the same that were yelling about global cooling... oh the twists of life! Greenpeace goes from "Global Cooling is going to kill us all" to "Global Warming is going to kill us all!!!" in 20 years. Sure the transition from a little ice age (1800s) to a warm age (2100s probably) is probably over, but since climate is esentially cyclic there's not much to worry about...

Now back to weather... today we had a lovely spring shower that lasted the entire freaking day, it was like winter here... :( I had been used to having 25ºC every day...and today it didn't even get to 15 :( Damn El Niño!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
24 Plus Inches In Michigan

Parts of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan were not immune from the mid-October snowfall. The little town of Twin Lakes, a few miles south of Houghton, had more than 24" of snow on the ground. Snowmobile enthusiasts were already in the area, riding their machines.

Same as Buffalo.....lake effect snow. Twin Lakes is at a high elevation so it really dumps it at that locale.

The Weather Channel had a traveling reporter standing in Twin Lakes during the heavy snow. Cool!

No power outages, though. Probably because most leaves would be OFF the trees at locations that far north. The Buffalo storm knocked out so much power because the trees still had leaves, creating a pile of wet snow on a tree that would bring it (or major branches) down.

Here in NW Ohio we had about a 5-minute "blizzard". Near white-out conditions for a very short time, then the sun came back out. We are, truly, "the bananna belt". ;)

Bear

Richmond Jake

Fall has arrived in the panhandle, too. Under mostly sunny skies, it's currently 53 degrees but it's expected to reach a high of 80 today. :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Fall has arrived in the panhandle, too. Under mostly sunny skies, it's currently 53 degrees but it's expected to reach a high of 80 today. :)

It was cooler and breezy here, too. Nice. The front yard was full of cardinals when I went out for the paper. The cats were all lined up in the front window watching them.

BKM

Cyburbian
Quite a chilly evening here. Lot's of wind. San Francisco was chilly one moment this afternoon, warm the next.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
84 d. today. Sheesh, if I'd known the kid was gonna crap out on going out to buy new shoes, I'd have been on the patio all day with a book and a margarita! :-{

zman

Cyburbian
Why can't we get a multi foot blizzard like Colorado... Geeeze.. Z-man gets all the luck.

Blizzard was about 95 miles south of me. I got a light dusting that has long since melted (like melted YESTERDAY). Shut down my Folks' area of Denver though. :-(

A week ago a drove through a sunny and dry Utah (hear that, Cololi?;) ) into a wintery and snow-logged Colorado ;)
In fact, I made it over Vail Pass on Interstate 70 before it closed.

But if any Texans read this, all the snow went to Utah. Please take your winter ski vacation there. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tornado watch here for the next four hours. :-o :-| :r:

I think that's the system that's moving down here late tonight and tomorrow morning. Of course, tomorrow morning is when we're holding a 3-hour event on two of our trails. :-( Windy, thunderstorms, and highs about 20 degrees lower than today's high. Dang.

Richmond Jake

I think that's the system that's moving down here late tonight and tomorrow morning. Of course, tomorrow morning is when we're holding a 3-hour event on two of our trails. :-( Windy, thunderstorms, and highs about 20 degrees lower than today's high. Dang.
The watch turned into a warning for about 30 minutes this afternoon. A tornado touched down about 15 miles west of my house moving to the NE at 35 mph.

zman

Cyburbian
The watch turned into a warning for about 30 minutes this afternoon. A tornado touched down about 15 miles west of my house moving to the NE at 35 mph.

Well, perhaps it is time to log off the computer? RJ, you are a Nutbar. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Well, perhaps it is time to log off the computer? RJ, you are a Nutbar. ;)

They're getting alot of tornadoes. Last weekend when I was there, one touched down a few miles from RJ's place, but we didn't know it until the next day. Whew. Sometimes it's best not to know!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Friday In NW Ohio

For anybody who gives a rat's bunion.....weather here in NW Ohio the last 24 or so hours has been low 40's with steady and cold rain. My garage painting job remains a procrastinator's wet dream.

Next week for Halloween they are talking high 50's and no rain. Good for the tricksters......won't matter to us.....Loma Linda's for cocktails during treat time.

Scrooge McBear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's getting chilly in NJ....at least to me it is. Guess we have a fierce storm rolling in tonight and spending the weekend with us. I'm going to be parked on the couch watching the Rutgers game on the telly and not braving the cold, wind, and rain at the stadium.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We got about 3 inches of snow last night... it was beautiful to wake up to. It's been slowly melting all day, but we still have a couple of inches on the ground/in trees. Probably have some icicles tomorrow. :)

It snows every year a few days before Halloween and then melts the next week. It's funny to see the kids running around in costumes with winter jackets on top.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Perfect weather here in Central Florida. It lasts a very short time. Saturday was breezy with the humidty a little lower and in the high 70's, low 80s.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Hey lp, you still with us or did you get blown into the Alantic? I saw that the northeast got some pretty severe winds.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
77 degrees here yesterday and in the 70's today...hope it holds out through tommorrow night!! Last few years have been cold and rainy on Halloween...the boys are SO looking forward to it.
I am sure this is the last of nice Missouri weather...it all goes downhill from here :(

Richmond Jake

Sunny with a high of 78 today. More of the same tomorrow. Wish it would rain on those brats. :-{