• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
First drive in the snow this morning. It was an uneventful drive for me but it did take a bit longer and there was points where it was the large wet snowflakes and it caused reduced visibility. I have a night meeting that is expected to be of epic length and an hour drive back in the middle of the night. I hope that the simi traffic will be low and that the roads will be clear. If not, it will just take a bit longer to drive home.

My wife has started checking the weather for places in the south-east (including FL) and writing out their 10 day forecast on the bathroom mirror, next to our 10-day forecast. I wonder what she is hinting at....

btrage

Cyburbian
First drive in the snow this morning. It was an uneventful drive for me but it did take a bit longer and there was points where it was the large wet snowflakes and it caused reduced visibility. I have a night meeting that is expected to be of epic length and an hour drive back in the middle of the night. I hope that the simi traffic will be low and that the roads will be clear. If not, it will just take a bit longer to drive home.

My wife has started checking the weather for places in the south-east (including FL) and writing out their 10 day forecast on the bathroom mirror, next to our 10-day forecast. I wonder what she is hinting at....

Not a week goes by that my wife is not mentioning moving "south".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Snowed a little this morning. This is that stage of the season where snow is still charmingly beautiful. Ask me how 'charming' I think this kind of weather is in late February....

btrage

Cyburbian
Snowed a little this morning. This is that stage of the season where snow is still charmingly beautiful. Ask me how 'charming' I think this kind of weather is in late February....

The thing I miss the least about West Michigan is the amount of snow.

I often think that I would enjoy a retirement on the coast of Lake Michigan. There are few things as relaxing as a summer afternoon spent on a Lake Michigan beach. But then I think about the lake effect snow and that lovely image is instantly banished from my thoughts.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not a week goes by that my wife is not mentioning moving "south".
My wife is contacting real estate agents and telling me about all these job openings for her in various locations.

My threshold for snow at my house is January 15. After that, I love the idea of going to snow (to ski or snowboard) but dealing with the cold and heating bills, shoveling the long driveway multiple times, drying off the dog after she plays, putting 10 layers on the oldest and then him telling me that he needs to go pee, and not being able to see my lawn.

The thing I miss the least about West Michigan is the amount of snow.

I often think that I would enjoy a retirement on the coast of Lake Michigan. There are few things as relaxing as a summer afternoon spent on a Lake Michigan beach. But then I think about the lake effect snow and that lovely image is instantly banished from my thoughts.

Growing up in the UP, I would cherish the idea of the snow coming because it resulted in Ski season, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing. There was also a bit of sadistic pride in having to brush off your car when you go to work (at the ski hill), brush off the snow when you leave the hill to go to lunch, brush off the foot of snow that accumulated at lunch, brush off your car when you leave to go home for dinner, brush off your car when you leave to go to the bar, then finally brush off your car when it is time to return home. Let's just say I am over it.

dw914er

Cyburbian
There is still some haze/clouds from the morning, but it's supposed to be in the mid 70's and sunny the rest of today and will dip into the 50's tonight. It is predicted that it might get up into the 80's this weekend. :h:

btrage

Cyburbian
There is still some haze/clouds from the morning, but it's supposed to be in the mid 70's and sunny the rest of today and will dip into the 50's tonight. It is predicted that it might get up into the 80's this weekend. :h:

See my post in the thread about what state we should live in. Jealous.

btrage

Cyburbian
I had the space heater on in my office at the beginning of the week. This morning, I just opened the window in my office for fresh air.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Cold and raining like heck all day and tonight, just like the Halloweens from my youth. I'll just tell Junior this is character-building weather when he goes trick-or-treating.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Cold and raining like heck all day and tonight, just like the Halloweens from my youth. I'll just tell Junior this is character-building weather when he goes trick-or-treating.

Yep. Pouring rain and windy on this side of the Mitten as well. My wife says that unless there are tornado sirens going off, we will be out trick-or-treating this evening (luckily our daughter is pretty young and will be happy to just make it to 10 or so houses).

btrage

Cyburbian
Yep. Pouring rain and windy on this side of the Mitten as well. My wife says that unless there are tornado sirens going off, we will be out trick-or-treating this evening (luckily our daughter is pretty young and will be happy to just make it to 10 or so houses).

The rain will not stop us. On the flip side of the age thing, my daughters are now old enough where they will just run from house to house anyways, so I can just follow along behind with my umbrella and red solo cup.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The rain will not stop us. On the flip side of the age thing, my daughters are now old enough where they will just run from house to house anyways, so I can just follow along behind with my umbrella and red solo cup.

If it's still raining like it is now, I'll be tempted to just wear my long rain coat that has pockets deep enough to hold a bottle of beer. We can trick or treat until I'm empty!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How is this for a Halloween Trick or Treat -

Tornado Watch until 1 am.

kms

Cyburbian
How is this for a Halloween Trick or Treat -

Tornado Watch until 1 am.

The wind woke me at 4 AM. I heard quite a few sirens and turned on the scanner. Companies were answering several calls at a time because of downed trees and wires.

My town's siren is an air horn. It sounded a little different in the wind.

I heard a strange sound in the attic, kind of like footsteps. My guess is that the wind blew open a window. It's still dark out, so I won't be going up there to investigate.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There's snow on the ground at my office this morning and I saw some cars on my way in that had quite a bit of snow piled up on their hoods and roofs. First time for that this season.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A light dusting of snow this a.m. Interestingly, I actually grilled pork chops on the patio last night (not that it was warm - maybe low 40's - but it didn't act like snow was imminent)

btrage

Cyburbian
There's snow on the ground at my office this morning and I saw some cars on my way in that had quite a bit of snow piled up on their hoods and roofs. First time for that this season.

The snow definitely did not travel east to my house.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The snow definitely did not travel east to my house.

It didn't even make it the couple miles south of my office to my house. I was taking the garbage out around 9:00 p.m. last night and we just had a bit of freezing rain coming down.

It always amazes me in the colder months when I drive around on the roads that hug the larger inland lakes here like Sylvan Lake, Pine Lake, Orchard Lake, etc., how much snow can be blowing in across those lakes when you go a few blocks away and there is no snow coming down at all and often not even any rain. I can only imagine (with the help of news reports and now Facebook) how lake Michigan brutally effects the western side of the state for snow.

btrage

Cyburbian
It didn't even make it the couple miles south of my office to my house. I was taking the garbage out around 9:00 p.m. last night and we just had a bit of freezing rain coming down.

It always amazes me in the colder months when I drive around on the roads that hug the larger inland lakes here like Sylvan Lake, Pine Lake, Orchard Lake, etc., how much snow can be blowing in across those lakes when you go a few blocks away and there is no snow coming down at all and often not even any rain. I can only imagine (with the help of news reports and now Facebook) how lake Michigan brutally effects the western side of the state for snow.

I would have never thought that the inland lakes create lake effect snow. Very cool actually.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Super-Mega Typhoon Haiyan. Perhaps the strongest storm ever to hit land. Still Super-Mega and headed for Vietnam.

btrage

Cyburbian
Super-Mega Typhoon Haiyan. Perhaps the strongest storm ever to hit land. Still Super-Mega and headed for Vietnam.

Maybe MegaMan can stop it.

rock1--article_image.jpg

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

Camille in '69 was the benchmark before this storm. Folks that weren't around then, don't live in Hurricaneland, and don't watch a lot of the Weather Channel may not have heard of it.

In our area, it was unseasonable chilly this morning (low 40s). RJ will be grilling tonight and the next two nights and doesn't seem to mind the chill.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Snow Definitions from the NWS
in case you needed to know. ;)

Snow
Precipitation in the form of ice crystals, mainly of intricately branched, hexagonal form and often agglomerated into snowflakes, formed directly from the freezing [deposition] of the water vapor in the air.

Flurries
an intermittent light snowfall of short duration (generally light snow showers) with no measurable accumulation (trace category).

Snow Shower
a short duration of moderate snowfall. Some accumulation is possible.

Snow Squall
an intense, but limited duration, period of moderate to heavy snowfall, accompanied by strong, gusty surface winds and possibly lightning (generally moderate to heavy snow showers). Snow accumulation may be significant.

Blowing Snow
wind-driven snow that reduces surface visibility. Blowing snow can be falling snow or snow that has already accumulated but is picked up and blown by strong winds. Blowing snow is usually accompanied by drifting snow.

Blizzard
means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
- Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
- Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)

Source: http://w1.weather.gov/glossary/

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Reed Timmer - national televised storm chaser
heading northeast tomorrow with an initial target of Indianapolis...

So which worse having Reed Timmer or Jim Cantore come to town ? :-c 8-!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow, they are calling for storms with possible tornados here in MI today. I am happy I mulched my leaves yesterday... although now my yard will fill with my neighbor's leaves.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
tornado warnings to the counties to the north and south but somehow we lucked out. Little damage apparent at home.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had some strong winds starting in the afternoon and lasting at least until I left for work this morning (as well as intermittent strong winds), and tornado watches but I don't think they ever issued a warning for our area. Driving through my neighborhood this morning I didn't notice any trees or large branches down so we lucked out. Looking at the outage map from the utility company, there are a lot of folks without power this morning but my immediate neighborhood seems to have been spared.

The one thing the strong winds + strong rain accomplished was to remind me of the few leaks I have in my roof. I think this will be the occasion that I finally say, "OK, let's go ahead and hire somebody because even though I claim to be able to, I'm never going to actually fix them myself."

DVD

Cyburbian
Some nice winds blowing everything everywhere, but at least there hasn't been a tornado or worse, a sharknado.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
tornado warnings to the counties to the north and south but somehow we lucked out. Little damage apparent at home.

We had no damage at our house. I was wondering if one of our older trees was going to come down, but it held strong.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Luckily, I was spared, as was much of Chicagoland north of I-80. But only about 30 miles to my south, places like Coal City, Diamond, Manhattan, and Frankfort were hit by tornadoes, with the fromer two faring worse, with I think about 100 homes damaged or destroyed in the Coal City/Diamond area. My company actually sold a 100+ acre property in Diamond less than a year ago. The tornado went right through it and hit the subdivision to its east. It was vacant farmland that had been planned for residential development, but due to the housing market collapse, development never started. Thank God...cause that subdivision would have been devastated had it been built, and the destruction would have been twice as much.

We also do a lot of business in Manhattan and Frankfort, which had a lot of downed trees, major roof damage, and a few structural collapses, but those folks didn't see quite as much damage as places to the southwest.

This same supercell that hit Chicago's far southwest suburbs also spawned a tornado that hit the Dana area in LaSalle County's panhandle and first devastated Washington, IL.

Thank God the casualties are lower than they certainly could have been. Looking at the devastation in Washington, IL, entire neighborhoods were wiped out by EF4 damage. With it being a Sunday, I think a lot of families were together, and with the advanced forecast, they took the time to prepare an emergency plan and executed it. I think a lot of people had basements too, which was also good.

In addition, all of the Chicago news networks interrupted regular programming and were on-the-air round-the-clock from about 10:30am all the way through the afternoon

We still had considerable wind (my company's monument sign was damaged) and rain, but it's nothing compared to the areas to our south.

btrage

Cyburbian
Luckily, I was spared, as was much of Chicagoland north of I-80. But only about 30 miles to my south, places like Coal City, Diamond, Manhattan, and Frankfort were hit by tornadoes, with the fromer two faring worse, with I think about 100 homes damaged or destroyed in the Coal City/Diamond area. My company actually sold a 100+ acre property in Diamond less than a year ago. The tornado went right through it and hit the subdivision to its east. It was vacant farmland that had been planned for residential development, but due to the housing market collapse, development never started. Thank God...cause that subdivision would have been devastated had it been built, and the destruction would have been twice as much.

We also do a lot of business in Manhattan and Frankfort, which had a lot of downed trees, major roof damage, and a few structural collapses, but those folks didn't see quite as much damage as places to the southwest.

This same supercell that hit Chicago's far southwest suburbs also spawned a tornado that hit the Dana area in LaSalle County's panhandle and first devastated Washington, IL.

Thank God the casualties are lower than they certainly could have been. Looking at the devastation in Washington, IL, entire neighborhoods were wiped out by EF4 damage. With it being a Sunday, I think a lot of families were together, and with the advanced forecast, they took the time to prepare an emergency plan and executed it. I think a lot of people had basements too, which was also good.

In addition, all of the Chicago news networks interrupted regular programming and were on-the-air round-the-clock from about 10:30am all the way through the afternoon

We still had considerable wind (my company's monument sign was damaged) and rain, but it's nothing compared to the areas to our south.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Chicagoland has been hit pretty hard by tornadoes that last couple of years?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Is it just me, or does it seem like Chicagoland has been hit pretty hard by tornadoes that last couple of years?

I definitely would say the southern part of the area has gotten hit quite a bit, generally places south of I-80 (Will, southern Cook, Grundy, Kankakee, LaSalle, and Livingston Counties as well as Northwest Indiana). It seems like places down there are hit every year. It's been said that that region is its own mini tornado alley. But thankfully, we have been spared the high-casualty tornadoes. The last major one was in Utica in 2004, where 9 were killed, and before that, Plainfield in 1990 where 29 were killed.

The city, northern suburbs, and western suburbs have been largely spared for quite a long time though. I think you have to go back to the 1960s to find a killer tornado that struck these regions. We've certainly had our fair share of derechos, hailstorms, blizzards, floods, and other extreme weather throughout the entire region though.

DVD

Cyburbian
Weather is just starting to go bad. A little rain this morning has all turned into ice. It'll be a fun drive home.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was in the 40's and foggy when I left work at 10:30 last night. The Christmas lights were up and on and the fog only enhanced the effect. It looked like a movie set. I am looking forward to seeing how everything looks after a wet snowfall, with the snow sticking to the trees and decorations... Then on Jan 2, it get get warm again.

Planit

Cyburbian
Kiddie soccer tournament this weekend and the forecast is:

Saturday: high 52 with chance of rain
Sunday: high 37 winds 12 mph and sunny

Our game Sunday is at 9:15 which will make the temp to be 29 or so.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Kiddie soccer tournament this weekend and the forecast is:

Saturday: high 52 with chance of rain
Sunday: high 37 winds 12 mph and sunny

Our game Sunday is at 9:15 which will make the temp to be 29 or so.

Junior year in HS, we had a soccer game the Monday before Thanksgiving. Temps were in the upper 20s. I was playing left fullback and blocked a pass with an upraised leg, so that the ball hit the inside of my right thigh. It hurt like h3ll. The crazy thing, though, was the ball left a purplish bruise for more than a week - a perfect soccer ball impression. :-o

Linda_D

Cyburbian
It's 11:37 am and it's only 19 here. The wind is brisk, but yesterday it was just nasty with temps falling through the 30s and 20s with 25 mph and our unpredictable winter guest, lake effect snow, not only off Lake Erie but probably off Lake Huron as well! We didn't get much snow, but what we did get blew around, making for white outs. One big issue was that in the morning when it began falling, the temps were around freezing, so the snow that fell was wet and partly melted. As temps fell, that wet stuff froze, creating an icy layer beneath the snow. I ended up putting my ice cleats on my boots when I walked my dog in the park about 5 pm.

It's a mix of sun and clouds this morning with occasional snow showers, and the main streets and roads are just wet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got a dusting or two of (lake effect) snow since Friday but it's been cold enough that it's still on the ground this morning.

btrage

Cyburbian
We spent Saturday shopping and running errands. We left the house knowing it was going to be colder, but on our way home from dinner the windchill was at 4 degrees. We were not prepared for that.

I now have some slight sniffles. Cue the green tea and let's hope the sniffles go away.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We spent Saturday shopping and running errands. We left the house knowing it was going to be colder, but on our way home from dinner the windchill was at 4 degrees. We were not prepared for that.

I now have some slight sniffles. Cue the green tea and let's hope the sniffles go away.

I was working in my garage all day Saturday with the door open and it wasn't too bad but at about 8:30 I had to go to the store and decided to walk up there and thought I was going to freeze to death. Yesterday morning I went for a walk before the sun came up and again, I was unprepared for how cold it was - my phone said that the windchill was at 2º. On this morning's run, the windchill was up to a balmy 7º.

I don't recall getting a stretch of weather this cold this early in the season for a long time.

btrage

Cyburbian
I was working in my garage all day Saturday with the door open and it wasn't too bad but at about 8:30 I had to go to the store and decided to walk up there and thought I was going to freeze to death. Yesterday morning I went for a walk before the sun came up and again, I was unprepared for how cold it was - my phone said that the windchill was at 2º. On this morning's run, the windchill was up to a balmy 7º.

I don't recall getting a stretch of weather this cold this early in the season for a long time.

I've come to the conclusion that I do not necessarily dislike cool weather or even snow. I can deal with 30 degrees and snow.

It's when it gets COLD, that I hate living in Michigan. This cold spell we're going through is not good.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I've come to the conclusion that I do not necessarily dislike cool weather or even snow. I can deal with 30 degrees and snow.

It's when it gets COLD, that I hate living in Michigan. This cold spell we're going through is not good.

I agree...

I look outside and smile because I can't see the harbor 300 feet from my window because of the snow... on the other hand I have an hour(ish) drive back to the City and I know it is freaking cold out there.