• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sunny but cold -

temp is 21 degrees
wind chill is 7 degrees - that's Brrrrrrr !

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had some snow showers yesterday and Monday. This morning, it is sunny and a balmy 16 degrees, with a wind chill of 2. I think it's supposed to warm back up to around 40 by the weekend though.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Overnight snow in Atlanta. I need to move south...

We had a high of 49°F today. Expecting freezing temps tomorrow morning. :-c

EDIT: Might be a nice night for the hot tub.

EDIT 2: I just started a fire in the fireplace.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I live in Michigan about 40 miles from one of the largest lakes on the planet. It is cold and there is a chance of 2 to 4 inches here, but 2 to 4 feet along the lake an hour and a half SW from me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I live in Michigan about 40 miles from one of the largest lakes on the planet. It is cold and there is a chance of 2 to 4 inches here, but 2 to 4 feet along the lake an hour and a half SW from me.

Same here, but somehow we managed to dodge 95% of the lake effect snow this time around.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ah the first picturesque snow of the year:santa:. We got maybe 2" last night. Just enough to blanket country lanes, fir trees, Christmas decorations, and the world in general with a clean sheet of white.

images

Now ask me how I feel about 2" in March next year....
images

btrage

Cyburbian
Supposed to be pushing 50 degrees tomorrow. It may be the last shot I have of getting the exterior Xmas lights up on the house.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Supposed to be pushing 50 degrees tomorrow. It may be the last shot I have of getting the exterior Xmas lights up on the house.

It's supposed to already be above 40º by 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. It will probably be the final morning where I can comfortably wear shorts while I am out running for a few months.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Balmy 80 degrees :tx:here:tx: today.:thumbsup:

Projected high of 40 tomorrow. Time to crank up the crock pot and have plenty of supplies on hand.:beers:
Sleet/snow/ice on radar for this weekend, with highs in the low 30's. I think winter has arrived!:santa:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
70 daytime high today

WINTER STORM EXPECTED THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY

btrage

Cyburbian

I did not get the lights up on the house. It was too damn dark by the time I got home. We have vowed to finish putting the hooks/nails/etc. up in the spring for next Xmas.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was 51 last night! (but rainy) Today the temps have dropped almost 20 degrees and it's supposed to get in the teens this weekend.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was 51 last night! (but rainy) Today the temps have dropped almost 20 degrees and it's supposed to get in the teens this weekend.

I was up at 5:00 a.m. to go running and it was 62º on this side of the state. It is currently 43º and the windchill makes it feel like 35º.

kms

Cyburbian
I'll be in NC until Sunday and am already planning the least icy route. I was iced in NC a few years ago and didn't like it.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
I played soccer last night and it was chilly 50 degrees. Three of the players are from Europe (two from Scandinavia and one from Germany) and they were complaining about how cold it was. Only in Arizona does 50 degrees mean beanies and parkas.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Can you say Brrrrrrrr

Temp is 17 with a wind chill of 5.

yesterday we got ice then sleet then snow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Day 3 of freezing temps. Day two of several inches of sleet on the ground. No snow. The view out the window is a winter wonderland, but going out on the ice is not fun.

Yesterday the majority of schools were closed, a lot of businesses closed or started late, and high school playoff football games were postponed. Today we have the same ice, but refrozen in new patterns, and the same biting wind. Grocery stores are sold out of milk, bread and other essentials (like chips!) and have low supplies of beer. Power outages are blamed on ice covered/damaged lines.

You would think that the icemaggedon has arrived. People in TX (except maybe the panhandle) don't know what to do in this weather. Either they don't remember a few years ago when we had nasty weather for a week, or they forgot the winters of wherever they grew up. Or, most likely, they're just stupid.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WONDERFUL.... massive storm named 'Electra' is currently in the mid-states area and is expected to become a winter storm and plow right into the great lakes region tomorrow. I have a Christmas party to go to tomorrow evening....

This on the heels of the snow from the past few days that caused a 40 car accident in the West-Michigan area.

On a side note we have had more snow fall thus far this season, than all the way up to the end of January last year... and the weather lairs are saying that we are just getting started.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
First day of winter

Mostly cloudy and breezy on the Florida panhandle
High of 77°F today.

FML :win: :awesome:

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I am going to be in the Southwest endzone of the Packer / Steeler game Tomorrow!

5-7 inches of snow by gametime with maybe 4 more inches on the way by monday!

This is so awesome I can barely contain myself! :D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is going to suck... They are calling for more snow today, adding in wind gusts. Too many people are already without power from last weekends ice storm, including 40% of one county is without power. It might warm up to above freezing during the day tomorrow and Saturday, but the highs on Monday and Tuesday might not get above 15 degrees.

I am still shoveling and chiseling the ice from my driveway and I have family coming into town tomorrow.

I am going to be in the Southwest endzone of the Packer / Steeler game Tomorrow!

5-7 inches of snow by gametime with maybe 4 more inches on the way by monday!

This is so awesome I can barely contain myself! :D

[ot]As a fellow Packer fan, I hope they play well against the bears on Sunday. Nothing would piss off my Lion fan friends more than GB winning the division and making it to the playoffs [/ot]

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After Chicagoland got anywhere from 4-12 inches of snow (depending on where you are) from a disturbance from New Year's Eve through New Year's Day, we are now getting a rare major lake effect snow event. Due to being on the west side of the lake and further south along the lake, Chicago rarely gets major lake effect snow events, since strong winds typically don't come out of the east or northeast around here. But they are today, and the ingredients are right for a major lake effect snow system today. It's even bringing snow to places well off the lake, like 40-50+ miles out in the suburbs. So depending on where you live and where the snow bands and squalls set up, Chicagoland could receive anywhere from an additional couple inches of snow to as much as 8+ additional inches of snow.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
After Chicagoland got anywhere from 4-12 inches of snow (depending on where you are) from a disturbance from New Year's Eve through New Year's Day, we are now getting a rare major lake effect snow event. Due to being on the west side of the lake and further south along the lake, Chicago rarely gets major lake effect snow events, since strong winds typically don't come out of the east or northeast around here. But they are today, and the ingredients are right for a major lake effect snow system today. It's even bringing snow to places well off the lake, like 40-50+ miles out in the suburbs. So depending on where you live and where the snow bands and squalls set up, Chicagoland could receive anywhere from an additional couple inches of snow to as much as 8+ additional inches of snow.

Welcome to my world.

The people at the Weather Channel say it is going to be VERY cold next week. I wonder if it will be the coldest week of the year or if this is just going to continue.

On a related note, how close is the old farmer's almanac predictions to your actual weather thus far?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Lakes definitely make some strange weather patterns. My in-laws live right on the western shore of Lake Huron, and while this side of Michigan isn't known for lake effect snow, they definitely get it at their house. When there's a typical snow storm dumping 4 or 5 inches in most of Metro Detroit, their house will usually get double that amount, drifts much higher, and cold freezing rain blowing in off the lake to top everything off. Yet, if you walk a few hundred yards in and away from the lake there is nothing extra to speak of. I remember the first time I was at their house during a snow storm I kept complaining to my wife that we needed to leave immediately because the drive home would be hell. Needless to say I was overreacting.

Closer to my area, we are well away from the big lakes but have plenty of smaller lakes (500 - 1,000 acres) and even those ones can create their own lake effect. It's not anywhere as severe as what you get along the Great Lakes, but it's still noticeable when driving past them.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
SE Michigan may get another 11" of snow this weekend. I am definitely going to half to test out my in-laws old cross country skis that have been sitting in my garage for two years.

btrage

Cyburbian
SE Michigan may get another 11" of snow this weekend. I am definitely going to half to test out my in-laws old cross country skis that have been sitting in my garage for two years.

My wife flies out of DTW at 11:30 on Monday morning. I'm just hoping it doesn't affect her flight, which it probably won't by that time.

And she's going to Southern California for work for two weeks. Perfect timing for her. :r:

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Here in California I know I am hoping for a break in the cold weather for you all back east, if only to actually bring some cooler weather and actually some rain back here. This is our "rainy" season and so far we have had hardly anything, and this is on top of having the driest year on record last year. It was 80 degrees on Christmas here. I am ready for some cooler weather and rain.

In other news I saw my old stomping grounds of Minnesota is closing schools across the state on Monday for the first time since 1996 because of extreme cold. They are calling for record low highs Sunday and Monday of -15 to -20 with lows near -30 in the Twin Cities. Windchills will be -50 to -60! 8-! I don't miss cold like that. The coldest I remember in my time in Minnesota was about -25 with windchills near -35, which was one hell of a shock from someone raised in the south.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's supposed to get so cold Monday they're talking about closing schools.

They never closed schools because of cold when I was a kid. Now get offa my lawn!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Every time I look at tomorrow's weather forecast they seem to have added another 2" of snow. Soon, they'll be calling for 3' of snow with drifts over the mailboxes here in Metro Detroit. All that really means though is that it will be 50º and sunny with a nice warm breeze.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Right now: 43 degrees and sunny

Forecast
Sunday: Temperature falling to around 17 by 5pm, snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Monday: high near -4, wind chill - 30

Pegguy11

Cyburbian
Winnipeg Weather

Here in Winnipeg MB Canada it's -24C (-11F) and -37C (-34F) with wind chill. We also just got a huge load of snow, probably 12cm of snow (5in). Seems like we're getting the same weather as Minneapolis. Perhaps our commiseration can keep us warm

Vancity

Cyburbian
Here in Winnipeg MB Canada it's -24C (-11F) and -37C (-34F) with wind chill. We also just got a huge load of snow, probably 12cm of snow (5in). Seems like we're getting the same weather as Minneapolis. Perhaps our commiseration can keep us warm

Clear sky and sunshine on the West Coast. 5C.
So little snow that many of our mountain resorts and skihills are struggling to stay open. Which makes me sad :( It will be a short season.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
WONDERFUL.... massive storm named 'Electra' is currently in the mid-states area and is expected to become a winter storm and plow right into the great lakes region tomorrow. I have a Christmas party to go to tomorrow evening....

This on the heels of the snow from the past few days that caused a 40 car accident in the West-Michigan area.

On a side note we have had more snow fall thus far this season, than all the way up to the end of January last year... and the weather lairs are saying that we are just getting started.

Hercules blew threw the NE and dumped 8.5 inches at my house with sustained freezing temps. Yesterday is was 16F, today a balmy 27F. Tomorrow is supposed to be 45F and rain. Monday more of the same. The Tuesday we go back for a balmy 14F. Mother Nature is off her meds.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Temps dropped from 39 to 20 degrees in 4 hrs.

Wind Chill Warning -
15 TO 35 DEGREES BELOW ZERO AT TIMES ....REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST TUESDAY

Schools closed.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Wind Chill Warning -

Schools closed.

Same thing here... parts along the IN border are in a Blizzard Warning and we are in a Winter Storm Warning along with a Wind Chill Warning. The City is not picking up trash or recycling so they can focus all the efforts on snow removal and at lest 2 communities in the region are in a snow emergency mode. They even closed Grand Valley State University and all of the schools before 8pm... The funny part of that the kids had the last day before Christmas break off, and now they have the first day after Christmas break off too.

I shoveled about a foot of snow this afternoon and we are expected to get another foot before all of this is done.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wind Chill Warning -

Schools closed.

1/5 3:25am it was 9F.
1/5 10pm it is 34F.
1/6 4am it's supposed to be 48F
1/7 4am it's forecasted to be 14F decreasing to 9F for the rest of the day

The very least mother nature could do is give us some snow for the hassle!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We got about 19" of snow in the last 24 hours, schools, businesses, government shutting down including my city and the capital. Crazy freezing temps tomorrow. On one hand I don't mind because my street isn't plowed and I can't get out to go anywhere if I wanted to. On the other, it seems like we always had weather like this growing up and I think we've just been way to spoiled for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've gotten about 12" at my house and it's supposed to finis snowing in the next few hours. For once, the snow forecast seems to be pretty much spot on. Our city sent out an email saying they will not be sending plows out until 3:00 a.m. Monday and I'm signed up for email and text alerts from all of the neighboring communities and it looks like only one was sending any trucks out today. By the time the trucks get out, it will probably be cold enough that the salt will be useless and I imagine the morning commute will be awful.

Of course, my employer is not shutting down. :r:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got over a foot and a half of snow and tomorrow the wind chill will be record setting minus 20(F) or colder.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It was sunny and 80 today. I love the weather but seriously, we just need some rain (damn you tony Toni tone to remind me it never rains in Southern California).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk