• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
It was sunny and 80 today. I love the weather but seriously, we just need some rain (damn you tony Toni tone to remind me it never rains in Southern California).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, I am hoping for a breakdown of this trough in the middle of the country so maybe we can get a cool down and a chance of rain here in California. This is our wet season and after having less than 3 inches of rain last year, we desperately need rain and the crystal ball isn't showing any in the future. God I never knew how badly I missed a rainy day until I moved here .:( Sunny and 72 is nice, but gets old eventually.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
-3 at my abode this morning with a wind chill of -20. It is supposed to get to -40 today.

This is the coldest I can ever remember. I do not like it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
46 degrees and rainy this morning. High of 8 tonight with a windchill of -8. Really cold for around here. Just checked on the area where I went to college. 22 this morning. Tonight they are calling for a low of -8 with a windchill of -32!! I lived there for 5 years and only saw anything like that once.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's still relatively balmy here just north of Detroit at 13º but the temps are supposed to begin dropping like a rock now. My wife's parents are coming over tomorrow morning for one last visit before they go back to southern Florida for the next 4 months. I think my wife may secretly be packing up right now to go down there with them.

I love this cold weather though. I didn't go for a run this morning but I did bundle up and walk to the coffee shop at 6:00 a.m. Long underpants, moleskin trousers, thermal shirt, wool sweater, military surplus parka, shearling-lined boots... BRING YOUR WORST OLD MAN WINTER!!

46 degrees and rainy this morning. High of 8 tonight with a windchill of -8. Really cold for around here. Just checked on the area where I went to college. 22 this morning. Tonight they are calling for a low of -8 with a windchill of -32!! I lived there for 5 years and only saw anything like that once.

In all my years living in NC and traveling to your area of the state, I never recall seeing it that cold over there.

[youtube]pu6PLxeVslA[/youtube]

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Here it is mostly sunny with temps at 0F and wind chill of -21F. Temps fell some 44 degrees in 12 hours.

It rained hard then very briefly went over to snow but we only got a trace.

City offices are open. County offices, in the same building City is in, are closed.

Supposed to be a City Council meeting tonight, with air temps around -5F and wind chills down to -35F.8-!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It's winter in Michigan here.. :r:

I think that with the warm winters that we have had the past few years people have forgotten how bad it can get out there. For me, it is like living back in the UP... but it is still dangerously cold and snowy and I agree that people should stay indoors if they can.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I think I have you all beat. After spending the weekend in Virginia for a friend's wedding, I miraculously landed at Midway Airport last night in the snow. We got about 10 inches of snow from Jan 4-Jan 5. It was blowing and drifting and the roads were covered in snow driving home last night. It's currently -16 with a wind chill of -45. Luckily, everything is closed today, including my company.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Bitches, please... ;)

Actually, it is +5 (celcius) here right now and raining, though we are under a flash freeze and wind chill warning for this afternoon and tonight...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think I have you all beat. After spending the weekend in Virginia for a friend's wedding, I miraculously landed at Midway Airport last night in the snow. We got about 10 inches of snow from Jan 4-Jan 5. It was blowing and drifting and the roads were covered in snow driving home last night. It's currently -16 with a wind chill of -45. Luckily, everything is closed today, including my company.

I feel bad for my brother in law. He is a union pipe fitter that works on those massive natural gas or oil pipes... and is working in central North Dakota right now... outside! It is -22 with -49 wind chills there. I hope they decided to take the day off or at least set up some sort of moving warming shelter to cover the section of pipe they are working on.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Stay warm out there! We are getting the polar air tonight in Central NC, it was 53 and raining when I went to work this morning (warmest it will be all day). Tonight wind chills are expected to be below zero :-c I live in the South, this isn't supposed to happen.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just have damn cold where I'm at. The roads are a little slick, but no extra snow, rain, or ice.

To make everyone feel better I'll just post the Phoenix weather today, Sunny, high of 71.

kms

Cyburbian
Stay warm out there! We are getting the polar air tonight in Central NC, it was 53 and raining when I went to work this morning (warmest it will be all day). Tonight wind chills are expected to be below zero :-c I live in the South, this isn't supposed to happen.

My daughter arrived here from southern NC yesterday, just in time for sub-zero temps.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Polar vortex

We're having a heat wave of 6 degrees, with the promised dangerously cold windchills. Lots of closings, including my band rehearsal tonight.

Here's an interesting piece about the polar vortex. NYTimes

And another piece with an interesting graphic. Business Insider

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out this madness....Tuesday's high is forecasted to be 14F. Everything that's wet will be frozen tomorrow.

ikqv.jpg

btrage

Cyburbian
My wife's flight from Detroit to Chicago was delayed almost 3 hours. At the end of the day she'll be in LA though.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
My wife's flight from Detroit to Chicago was delayed almost 3 hours. At the end of the day she'll be in LA though.

If it makes you feel any better, my flight from Chicago to Norfolk was delayed three hours on Friday. My flight home on Sunday was remarkably on time, but we were stuck on the plane for 30 minutes after landing since the jet bridge to the gate got stuck in the snow. Luckily, my flight wasn't canceled though like a lot of other people who went to the wedding.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The constant sub-zero temperatures yesterday/last night were enough to zap the battery on the car parked outside last night. Fortunately the truck started and I was able to maneuver it out of the garage past the for-now dead car. Unfortunately, that means I'm at work.:-|

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The temp was -12º and -29º with the wind chill on my morning run today. It honestly wasn't too bad because I was so bundled up. The backs of my thighs were the only spot to get cold. Maybe the assless chaps weren't the best choice of running gear today?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well... there is tough then there is yooper tough. My sister and her husband went to a party in St. Paul MN on Sunday night. Then yesterday she drove back to the Central UP and he drove to central ND... alone.

Her response was... yea... it was cold.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It has been either -15 or -17 F every time I have looked at the thermometer these last two days. The dogs are very quick with their business. Luke goes to the door and barks if he does not see me. A single bark that is "let me in" signal. Woof. Pause. Woof. Pause. Woof. I appear. Tail wags. Door opens. Emma and Shadow come running as Luke slips in.

DVD

Cyburbian
I find it funny, last year we closed work because there was about 6" of snow, this year we get over 12 and the temps drop to nothing and no one cares. WTF, it's just snow and it's not Minnesota, figure it out.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The temperature finally got out of the negative teens just now (it was in the negative teens for over 24 hours straight around here). I was able to successfully clear my car of snow, start it, and make it in to work this morning. Temperature is supposed to rise throughout the day, eventually making it into positive territory by the end of the day.

It's so cold out there were three suns in the sky yesterday. I thought I was losing my mind, until I saw other people post pictures, and then this news article: http://geneva.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/along-with-bitter-cold-comes-another-beautiful-sun-dog-rainbow

Apparently, it's a concept known as a Sun Dog, where weird reflections of the sun occur due to the way the light hits ice crystals that are elevated in the air.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Apparently, it's a concept known as a Sun Dog, where weird reflections of the sun occur due to the way the light hits ice crystals that are elevated in the air.

Way back when I was a weatherman, I worked in a place where we reported sundogs in the winter, because they can cause temporary vision impairment for pilots.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that the thing that I am looking forward to the most about the weather warming up is maybe my furnace will stop running. It has taken 11 hours to rase the temp 10 degrees... I think tonight we are not going to let it cool down... at all.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
I think that the thing that I am looking forward to the most about the weather warming up is maybe my furnace will stop running. It has taken 11 hours to rase the temp 10 degrees... I think tonight we are not going to let it cool down... at all.

That's like the reverse of my a/c when I lived in Texas. My a/c struggled to keep our apartment at a very reasonable 75 degrees, my a/c ran nearly constant on the warmest of the days. When I opened my electric bill I wanted to nearly cry...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Minus 6 this a.m. Don't know what the windchill is, but probably around minus 20 something. It's cold.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yesterday: Low was 5 & High was 23.
Today: Low was 12 & High is projected to be 40
We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave.

By Saturday its supposed to get to 64 and rain.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
-8 this morning, after reaching a high of -4 yesterday. Let's hope this warming trend continues.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
-3º and still brutal wind chills here in Metro Detroit. This morning's commute was the most treacherous since the storm on Sunday. The main road that I take to my office was a continuous sheet of ice for about 10 miles. It's too cold for the salt to work and the road crews try to keep it plowed as clear as they can but anytime snow blows across it, it just freezes immediately. There were accidents at nearly every intersection I went through and the heavier traffic headed south towards Southfield (a large employment center in the area) and Detroit was at a virtual standstill for miles on end.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Chief Planner and I went out on site inspections yesterday afternoon and I remarked that you know it's been very cold indeed when 12F feels comfortable. Weather Channel calling for temps in the 50s starting Friday ...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
-3º and still brutal wind chills here in Metro Detroit. This morning's commute was the most treacherous since the storm on Sunday. The main road that I take to my office was a continuous sheet of ice for about 10 miles. It's too cold for the salt to work and the road crews try to keep it plowed as clear as they can but anytime snow blows across it, it just freezes immediately. There were accidents at nearly every intersection I went through and the heavier traffic headed south towards Southfield (a large employment center in the area) and Detroit was at a virtual standstill for miles on end.

Same here in Chicagoland. At least it's finally gotten into positive single digits this morning, but that's still too cold. Traffic was absolutely snarled this morning due to the still piss-poor road conditions (snow covered roads, black ice, etc.), all the accidents, and everyone going back to work and school today (if they didn't go back to work yesterday). There were accidents all over the place. It was ridiculous. What should've been a 30 minute commute wound up being over an hour.

I can't wait for temperatures to get above freezing. Not looking forward to the wintry mix that is forecast, but I am looking forward to it changing to rain on Saturday, and being 38 and sunny on Sunday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom?

So many of the side streets are un-plowed and so many of the main roads have been ice covered everyday since the storm that we haven't had home mail delivery since Saturday.

btrage

Cyburbian
People say that they love that Michigan experiences all 4 seasons. I can agree with that, but it's the extreme unpredictability and wild fluctuations in weather that really pushes me to hate Michigan weather.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's 38 this morning. Honest, I feel like wearing a lightweight windbreaker.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
The California Winter Heat Wave drags on... two record highs in the last 2 days, 84 on Tuesday and 87 yesterday. 3 locations south of here got to 90 yesterday. 8-! The drought is also dragging on, parts of my area haven't seen a day with more than three-tenths of an inch of rain in nearly a year, it is like living in the desert. Sadly the long-range forecast to the end of January shows no chance of rain. We are running out of time in our wet season, with really only February and March left until the dry season begins to kick in sometime in April. It is going to be a rough fire season, already having fires down near LA and it is mid-January. :(

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The California Winter Heat Wave drags on... two record highs in the last 2 days, 84 on Tuesday and 87 yesterday. 3 locations south of here got to 90 yesterday. 8-! The drought is also dragging on, parts of my area haven't seen a day with more than three-tenths of an inch of rain in nearly a year, it is like living in the desert. Sadly the long-range forecast to the end of January shows no chance of rain. We are running out of time in our wet season, with really only February and March left until the dry season begins to kick in sometime in April. It is going to be a rough fire season, already having fires down near LA and it is mid-January. :(

Same with Australia. Record heat.

But in NYC there was snow and bone chilling cold over the New Year so global warming isn't happening... ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wonderful... I get to drive home in a lake effect snow storm this afternoon... 40+ miles! :-@

Long range forecast does not have the temps going above the mid 20's for at least several weeks with lows in the single digits to zero... :-@

My dad is talking about wintering in AZ when he and my step-mom retire... I think that they might have the right idea.... now if only I can be a seasonal planner and make enough to take winter's off....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Honest, I think you could count the number of days that we've had highs above freezing since Thanksgiving on one hand.