• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Where I'm at, it is currently -1 with a wind chill of -22. It doesn't look like next week will be any better.

However, according to Accuweather's extended forecast, February looks like it will be much better. upper 20s and 30s. I can handle that.

Hopefully, we'll have a nice spring that comes early. We deserve it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Where I'm at, it is currently -1 with a wind chill of -22. It doesn't look like next week will be any better.

However, according to Accuweather's extended forecast, February looks like it will be much better. upper 20s and 30s. I can handle that.

Hopefully, we'll have a nice spring that comes early. We deserve it.

Ours looks like colder than average temps all the way into March. Warmer than it is now, but very few days above freezing.

That is a bit scary... because with all the snow fall that we have had, if it stays cold and then we get a week or two of 40 or 50 degree temps, the river is going to go into the flood plain.

dw914er

Cyburbian
The California Winter Heat Wave drags on... two record highs in the last 2 days, 84 on Tuesday and 87 yesterday. 3 locations south of here got to 90 yesterday. 8-! The drought is also dragging on, parts of my area haven't seen a day with more than three-tenths of an inch of rain in nearly a year, it is like living in the desert. Sadly the long-range forecast to the end of January shows no chance of rain. We are running out of time in our wet season, with really only February and March left until the dry season begins to kick in sometime in April. It is going to be a rough fire season, already having fires down near LA and it is mid-January. :(

The high pressure is really hurting our chances to get rainfall or a snowpack. The entire state is in a drought, and portions are in a severe drought. The 70-80 degree temps are nice, but it is going to come with pretty severe consequences. :(

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
RUGGED!

b9Srq8D.png

Hmmm ... I wonder ...

uT2iyDo.png

Okay. It's colder here than in Iceland.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I went on my run this morning and it was 3º outside but with the windchill it was -18º (though it honestly wasn't that bad out). I cannot say that I recall that big of a stretch between the two in a long time. It seems like all the schools in Metro Detroit are closed because of the cold once again and the public high school down the street was also closed yesterday because of building issues. I think they've probably had only 7 or 8 days of school so far this year.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After 1-3 inches of snow on Friday night and then another round of 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday night, here's the forecast temperatures for my neck of the woods next week:

Sunday night: -5
Monday: -5
Monday night: -18
Tuesday: -4
Tuesday night: -11
Wednesday: 9
Wednesday night: 3

That's right, 48 hours or more below zero, 72 hours or more below 10

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thus far, they are not saying that this is record cold for many of us... but I would love to know the long term data on this in terms of Growing Degree Days or similar measure that not only takes the intensity of the cold into consideration, but also the duration.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Snow and Ice expected tomorrow here and points south. It's going to be a big ole mess for a few days.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Snow and Ice expected tomorrow here and points south. It's going to be a big ole mess for a few days.

I have a friend who grew up in the UP but now lives in a city not too far south of you. He said that it is strange when the snow falls there because the City is not prepared to handle it as quickly as they do in the UP, and that 2 inches down there is actually worse than 8 inches in the UP.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I have a friend who grew up in the UP but now lives in a city not too far south of you. He said that it is strange when the snow falls there because the City is not prepared to handle it as quickly as they do in the UP, and that 2 inches down there is actually worse than 8 inches in the UP.

That's correct. Since snow and ice are just an occasional occurance the municipalities and counties are not as prepared and do not have as much equipment on hand. Also we get ice, which is not possible to prepare for because you can't drive on it...at all. Then you have people which do not know what to do and do stupid things like don't get all the snow off their cars before driving and create hazards or with ice we can lose power and trees go down...like I said a BIG MESS.

Planit

Cyburbian

They are saying an inch for us, but I seriously doubt it. The forecasts I've seen have it all to the east & south of us. The capital city will go in panic mode - hope you brought your milk & bread...or at least beer,

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
In suburban Chicago, it is currently -4, with a wind chill of -29. Last night, we had near blizzard conditions as the front blasted through with a little bit of snow.

Tonight, it is supposed to be -23 with a wind chill of -39. Tomorrow, -1 with a wind chill of -41. Tomorrow night, -10, with a wind chill of -27.

With the exception of schools being shut down for today and tomorrow, I feel like most people are going about their regular business, as opposed to earlier this month. However, earlier this month, the cold temperatures also followed a heavier snowfall and the holidays, so people were less apt to go out.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My local school district has already elected to close for tomorrow. I believe they have now officially gone over the number of days they are allowed to be shut down without having to make them up.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
They are saying an inch for us, but I seriously doubt it. The forecasts I've seen have it all to the east & south of us. The capital city will go in panic mode - hope you brought your milk & bread...or at least beer,

I'm going to the store tonight to join in all the snow-steria and get a few things (I really do need to go!)...will see if I can get a photo of the bread/milk and eggs sections :6:

The local news is saying 2-4" for us, and that number keeps rising...usually a bad sign. The OBX will likely get up to 8"

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I'm going to the store tonight to join in all the snow-steria and get a few things (I really do need to go!)...will see if I can get a photo of the bread/milk and eggs sections :6:

The local news is saying 2-4" for us, and that number keeps rising...usually a bad sign. The OBX will likely get up to 8"

Parts around here have gotten as much as 22 inches in the past 3 days. At my house, I am guessing we got about 12 to 14 but the drifts are causing issues. On top of the issues, we have Odd/Even parking requirements for on street parking, but some of these people have no where else to put there car so they are leaving it out there. This results in the plow trucks not being able to come down our street and it makes everything a mess. Cars park closer and closer to the center of the street because of the snowbanks... it will not be long and I will not be able to get my suburban down the street.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I just saw on the National Weather Service website that much of Alabama is under a Civil Emergency advising no travel. All because Alabama received 2-4 inches of snow and a quarter inch of ice. The only times we see civil emergencies in Illinois are when we get 20+ inches of snow blowing at 40+ mph, creating 3-20 foot drifts, and even then, it is usually only a few counties that will declare it. But I guess when you don't have any snow removal equipment whatsoever and a populace that is not prepared in dealing with winter weather, I can understand. I guess everything is relative!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Our forecast for the next 24-hours includes freezing rain, snow, and sleet. Everything is closed tomorrow including my office...except the Waffle Houses. I picked up a bottle of sparkling wine after work for a rare mid-week brunch at the Casa-on-the-Panhandle.

Tide

Cyburbian
The weather people really blew it in Chattanooga today. They have been saying "it'll all go south of us" and we weren't even in winter storm watch.
They didn't cancel school and the snow started about 0900 this morning. My wife had the wherewithal to go back to the kids preschool and get them before it got bad. They sent out the text message to pick them up just as she walked into the door. It shouldn't have taken more than 20 minutes to get home, it took her 1 hour. There was a 17 car accident in the town above us and many people can't get up the hills around here to get home or even get their kids. There's reports of kids still at school and no one can get there to pick them up.

It's one thing to predict snow or precip and there's none, it's another thing to miss it this completely.

Tide

Cyburbian
But I guess when you don't have any snow removal equipment whatsoever and a populace that is not prepared in dealing with winter weather, I can understand. I guess everything is relative!

Nail - Head

I once heard a comedian talk about it snowing in the south, one of the jokes was something about a guy pleading with him to drive his truck up the hill - he just didn't expect it to be the plow truck.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I wish I wasn't right, see Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Complete clusterf*ck here in the ATL yesterday. Took the wife 11 hours to drive 15 miles from work to home yesterday (left at 1 pm, made it here at midnight).

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Bubba, sorry to hear about the wife. Atlanta does sound like a gang screw up. Tide, glad you guys got the kids and everything is ok. As ip stated, it's all relative. I understand both worlds. Just remember, winter is an occasional thing in the deep south instead of a 3-4 month ordeal in the North. By the same token, the summers are 4-5 months of 90+ temps and high humidity, an ordeal that most Northerns do not understand. One of the things I did carry down here was the idea that it's best to let storms blow themselves out then get out when everything is clear.

Richmond Jake

Cold here on the Florida panhandle.

Our street. The driveway was also coated in ice.

DSC00026_-_21.jpg

Our pool screen coated with ice.

DSC00028_-_21.jpg

Bird feeders.

DSC00032_-_21.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bubba, sorry to hear about the wife. Atlanta does sound like a gang screw up. Tide, glad you guys got the kids and everything is ok. As ip stated, it's all relative. I understand both worlds. Just remember, winter is an occasional thing in the deep south instead of a 3-4 month ordeal in the North. By the same token, the summers are 4-5 months of 90+ temps and high humidity, an ordeal that most Northerns do not understand. One of the things I did carry down here was the idea that it's best to let storms blow themselves out then get out when everything is clear.

Very true. When I met up with Tide in North Carolina once, I think I remember him telling me something to the effect that while people in the North tend to hibernate and not go out as much in the winter, it's the exact opposite down South, where people tend to hibernate to escape the heat in the summer (unless they're going to the beach or the pool) and go outside more and get stuff done the rest of the year.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Very true. When I met up with Tide in North Carolina once, I think I remember him telling me something to the effect that while people in the North tend to hibernate and not go out as much in the winter, it's the exact opposite down South, where people tend to hibernate to escape the heat in the summer (unless they're going to the beach or the pool) and go outside more and get stuff done the rest of the year.
This is very true. Trust me, you do not want to do a whole lot come July/August. The heat/humidity is oppressive.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The weather let up here... the wind chill is expected to get back above zero later today. The snow let up as well and at the moment it is sunny. The roads this morning were horrible and I made it to the freeway where I was greeted by a police officer who blocked the on-ramp because of an accident above. I chatted with him for a moment and learned that it was not safe to head to the lakeshore today. So I am working from home.

Tomorrow they are calling for 1-4 inches of snow. Lucky me.

Richmond Jake

I hate this weather..

Current conditions....

Mostly Cloudy
28°F -2°C
Humidity 69%
Wind Speed N 14 mph
Barometer 30.31 in (1027.5 mb)
Dewpoint 19°F (-7°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill 17°F (-8°C)

I didn't sign up for this...FML

EDIT: Jack's poop freezes damn fast in this weather...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
EDIT: Jack's poop freezes damn fast in this weather...

That's actually one of the little-discussed benefits of living in a cold weather climate. You actually want to do your springtime yard cleanup while the ground is still frozen. Those hard little nuggets sure are easier to scoop up than... well, you know what I'm talking about.+o(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
h23w.png

Are you kidding me? (LINK)

*On the other hand... I just noticed that it is 5 degrees warmer at the moment here in West Michigan, than it is where Beach_Bum lives in North Carolina! ... until you factor in the windchill that is...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Wow, that looks like a little much. I heard something on the order of an inch today, 2-4 inches on Saturday, and perhaps 3-6 inches on Tuesday. Here we go again!

In addition to being extremely cold, this winter has been quite snowy. Not in the usual 2-3 big snow dumps, but more on the order of it snowing or icing literally every other day. Chicago has already had 48 inches of snow this year, which makes it already exceed the average for the entire season, and it isn't even February yet!

Since December 8th, suburban public works crews have been called out to plow or salt roads 31 times!!

This link talks about the winter as it has impacted suburban Chicago: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140129/news/701299917/

I've heard from many that they don't remember a winter like this since the late 70s or early 80s.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The 'weather people' as I am going to call them, are saying that there is more ice on the great lakes at any point in the past 20 - 25 years... and we are only 1/2 way through winter. If the trends continue, they are saying that in terms of duration of cold, this winter could approach the worst in 50 years. :-@

btrage

Cyburbian
I've seen this too. John Dee is also predicting quite another wallop and he was spot on with the last few big snowfalls.

FWIW, we need 0.1" of snow today or tomorrow to set the record for snowiest month ever in Metro Detroit.

I heard we're supposed to get an inch tonight?

The 'weather people' as I am going to call them, are saying that there is more ice on the great lakes at any point in the past 20 - 25 years... and we are only 1/2 way through winter. If the trends continue, they are saying that in terms of duration of cold, this winter could approach the worst in 50 years. :-@

I heard that it's the most ice since 1994, when it topped out at 98% coverage. The same radio report said that they wouldn't be surprised if the lakes go to 100% covered.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Gaaack!

A friend posted that he heard this radio commercial THREE TIMES today. Someone needs a humor adjustment.

[youtube]ZJgsdZ_DfKM[/youtube]

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I heard that it's the most ice since 1994, when it topped out at 98% coverage. The same radio report said that they wouldn't be surprised if the lakes go to 100% covered.

This morning my wife called me to let me know that the City finally was able to plow our street. She was able to power out of the driveway in 4 wheel drive but told me that the car might get stuck. I get out there and the snow bank at the end of the driveway is about 30 inches high *was higher before the wife backed over it, and about 36 inches wide. So I cleared it out so I could get out. Now I hear that we are expected to get 6 to 9 inches tomorrow and the warmest that it will get in the next 10 days is 22 degrees (which will feel like a heat wave)

I do have to admit that my biggest fear right now is that it will stay cold until mid to late March, then BAM we will get a week with temps in the 60's and everything will flood. By then we will have record snow fall but the ground will be so frozen, the surface of the rivers will have ice dams, and pools will form in peoples basements and on the streets. Most of my neighbors are trying to pile as much of the snow from the sidewalks onto the curb lawn so that it can melt into the storm sewers and away from their basements.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Between Saturday's snowstorm and a snowstorm forecast for Tuesday, northeast Kansas, eastern Nebraska, northwest Missouri, Iowa, northern Illinois, northern Indiana, southern Michigan, southern Ontario, and upstate New York could see between 10-12+ inches of snow.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It's amazing how relative it all is. After living in Grand Rapids for the better part of 10 years, it doesn't even seem like Metro Detroit has received that much snow to me. It's the damn cold that's killing me!!!!!

I agree, but I also think it is how the City's deal with the snow. Most places in the UP prohibit on street parking overnight so they can get the crews out to clear the roads. So 24 inches in the UP can be cleaned up a lot faster than 6 inches in places like Grand Rapids or Detroit.

I also think you are right on when it comes to the cold. I was amazed at how warm the low 20's felt today.

As of right now, many cities in West Michigan have already hit their average snow totals, the snow removal budgets are gone, and winter is only half over. I wonder at what point people will give up shoveling and just wait for it to melt.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
That's actually one of the little-discussed benefits of living in a cold weather climate. You actually want to do your springtime yard cleanup while the ground is still frozen. Those hard little nuggets sure are easier to scoop up than... well, you know what I'm talking about.+o(

I created a dog run with the snow blower so they have a place to go. The neat part is that every time it snows, I am able to chuck the nugets into the street (actually on the curb or 6 inches further) where the street sweeper will be able to convieniently pick them up in the spring. Plus, the snow blower does a very good job of nearly earosolizing them! :D

I heard we're supposed to get an inch tonight?

Below is a link to the Great Lakes Ice Cover Map from today. As I understand the map, it does not look like the lakes will ice over. Michigan and Superior have never been recorded to be 100% iced over. they can get to 90% some time but they are to deep and hold their heat to well to freeze over.

Hopefully there are several male wolves making their way to Isle Royal in Superior this minute. There are a whole lot of female wolves needing company as well as being able to save the existing population of wolves from familial inbreeding! Oh, and the Apostle Island Ice Caves are open as well! :D

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?hr=00&ext=ice&type=N&lake=l

Last edited by a moderator:

Richmond Jake

Current conditions on the panhandle....

Fair
67°F...19°C
Humidity 53%
Wind Speed S 9 mph
Barometer 30.08 in (1019.8 mb)
Dewpoint 49°F (9°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Getting ready for another winter storm event this time with ice. We might get a quarter inch on top of the snow which will be so messy in the South. I'm staying home.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Getting ready for another winter storm event this time with ice. We might get a quarter inch on top of the snow which will be so messy in the South. I'm staying home.

Looks like the real chance for icy roads here in the ATL won't be until early Wednesday morning...I'm guessing we'll see a lot more preemptive school and other closings this time around, though.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Looks like the real chance for icy roads here in the ATL won't be until early Wednesday morning...I'm guessing we'll see a lot more preemptive school and other closings this time around, though.

I'll bet ;)

My office closes for ice, actually everyone should close if we get ice.

DVD

Cyburbian
A little more snow this morning. My wife tells me it's the worst winter in Kansas since 1995. Or as other northern states call it, just another light winter.