• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

kms

Cyburbian
Getting ready for another winter storm event this time with ice. We might get a quarter inch on top of the snow which will be so messy in the South. I'm staying home.

Ice on top of snow is better than ice on the ground. It's easier to clear. It sounds like you're using good judgment. Stay safe.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
feb 10.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
Wife went to grocery store last night, she said all the gallon & half gallon milk in whole, 2% & 1% was gone...so she bought 2 quart-size containers.

Nothing started here yet, but after today I don't think there will be any school for the rest of the week

AG74683

Cyburbian
Calling for 4-6 inches of snow here tonight through tomorrow, and 1/2 to 3/4 inch worth of ice Wednesday night. Gonna be....fun...

beach_bum

Cyburbian
At least 4" on the ground, the sleet is starting now and will end in the morning. Then more snow...it's a winter sandwich!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It was sunny and got up into the 20s today! That kinda weather calls for not wearing my overcoat when I went out for lunch today. :h:

Tide

Cyburbian
Meanwhile, in Raleigh, North Carolina ...

IYOKvod.jpg

That's legit, Freds Beds is an NC chain of mattress stores. I saw this going around twitter and I thought it was a hoax until I saw this angle.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
^ to be fair that road has some of the steepest hills in Raleigh. It's been a crazy day around here. No work tomorrow, obviously. I'll be sleeping in and lazing around the house.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
As I look at the photo, it seems that the white car in front of the fireball might have hit another car, causing the gas tank of that car to explode into a fireball. If you look carefully, it looks like there might be another car behind the flames -- just to the left of the flames and just above the two cars off the road on the left.

Here in WNY, we're missing all the bad weather. Yesterday it was seriously below zero in the morning -- my car thermometer read minus 9 when I pulled into work but it might have been lower as I'm not sure the digital display goes that low -- but it warmed up to almost 30 under sunny skies by afternoon. We might get an inch or two from the storm tonight into tomorrow, but for around here, that's a dusting and will put folks into mood for the county's Winter Carnival to be held in Mayville this week-end, complete with an ice castle (built from blocks of ice cut from Chautauqua Lake), snowmobile races on the lake, etc.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There are two cars on fire, it seems. Unless the other car on the top left is just shining headlights and not fire... That is a pretty crazy photo...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When I saw the pictures of the car on fire, I figured it just randomly ignited like they do in cartoons sometimes for comedic effect after extremely minor accidents.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snow day again. 9" so far today. Another 6-10" on tap this evening for Round 2.

Planit

Cyburbian
Ended up with 9" of snow at the house. Nice powdery snow to start on Wed, then sleet that evening, then wet snow on Thursday morn.

No school or work Wed or Thur. No school Friday & a 3 hour delay for work. It's melting rapidly now that the temps are ups.

I am sore from sledding, lots of sledding, really lots. At least I didn't have to help with the snowman.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We might see the sun on Tuesday, then they are calling for rain and 45 degree temps on Thrusday... Do you know what happens when the following happens?
  • A few inches of rain
  • Above freezing temps
  • 22 inches of snow on the ground
  • 4-foot to 6-foot snowbanks along the roads and sidewalks, thus blocking the storm drains
  • Frost levels 42 to 48 inches into the ground in places

It makes a heck of a mess and floods the streets, peoples basements, and sidewalks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We might see the sun on Tuesday, then they are calling for rain and 45 degree temps on Thrusday... Do you know what happens when the following happens?
  • A few inches of rain
  • Above freezing temps
  • 4-foot to 6-foot snowbanks along the roads and sidewalks, thus blocking the storm drains

It makes a heck of a mess and floods the streets, peoples basements, and sidewalks.

People in my office are already freaking out about possible flooding. This is one of the few things that make me glad I don't have a basement, though our neighborhood tends to drain very quickly no matter what the conditions.

There are a few roads in the area that I routinely run on that I'm interested to see if the water across them will be ankle deep or waist deep this time around. I have to remember not to run that way before the sun comes up next Thursday or Friday. I may get washed away!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
People in my office are already freaking out about possible flooding. This is one of the few things that make me glad I don't have a basement, though our neighborhood tends to drain very quickly no matter what the conditions.

There are a few roads in the area that I routinely run on that I'm interested to see if the water across them will be ankle deep or waist deep this time around. I have to remember not to run that way before the sun comes up next Thursday or Friday. I may get washed away!

To make matters worse, if the rivers get ice dams.... things are going to suck.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They're predicting temps in the low 40's for several consecutive days next week. I am already making preparations for the inevitable basement flood we will have during the Big Melt.:(

Planit

Cyburbian
97% of our snow will be gone by Sunday evening & then it's supposed to be in the 70s on Thursday.

PS - soccer practice is cancelled tomorrow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
To make matters worse, if the rivers get ice dams.... things are going to suck.

That's what will cause the flooding in the few areas near me that are prone to it. I'm fortunate that where the river passes our neighborhood, it sits down in a ravine deep enough that I would need to start building an ark if it were going to flood.

Here's an article about the issue on the Great Lakes that just got posted up a little bit ago: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140214/METRO06/302140087/Great-Lakes-warmup-could-clog-waterways-ice-jams

I may be making a surprise trip up to Fort Gratiot next week if the ice is approaching the door of my in-laws house. Not because I could magically stop it, but because I want to see it! :p

btrage

Cyburbian
I generally don't have to worry about flooding at my house. Although my house is very close to the North Branch of the Clinton River, it would have to be a biblical flood for it to get to my house.

My subdivision does have a retention pond that is very close to my house, and it was fairly high all last year, after the heavy spring rains we got. The developer and the Township are "arguing" over the maintenance responsibilities of the pond. My fear is that if the pond pump fails, neither one of them will fix it.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Winter Storm Warning for Northern Illinois today. We could see 5-10 inches of snow this afternoon. This storm alone could very well put us over 70 inches for the year.

And then it's supposed to warm up later this week.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
And then it's supposed to warm up later this week.

They've scaled back quite a bit on their earlier promises of warmer weather. Now we're looking at only a single day above 40.
Also, we're looking at more snow this next weekend.
Spring needs to get here.:(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
They've scaled back quite a bit on their earlier promises of warmer weather. Now we're looking at only a single day above 40.

If we get half the snow they are predicting here, we will be tied for the second snowiest winter on record. We already broke the snow on the ground record. I ran all my errands this morning in anticipation of the pending storm.

What makes this even more difficult is the lack of sun this winter. My wife pointed it out the other day when It was sunny. The lack of sunny days makes makes the cold snowy days even worse.

As for Thursday, I worry that it is going to be in the upper 30's and raining. That will only make a mess of the roads.

jsk1983

Cyburbian

Ugh. March 1 had a high over 50 in the 15 day but that has since changed to a high of 28. I'm not even sure why I look at 15 day forecasts.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • A few inches of rain
  • Above freezing temps

We haven't gotten quite as much snow, but what's unusual around here are the sustained below freezing temperatures which means the snow has hung around. There's 2 to 3 feet built up on the road shoulders and other unplowed areas. There are patches of compacted snow and ice on many side streets, lots, and sidewalks making it still treacherous to walk or drive early and late when the stuff refreezes. We're in for another few inches tonight and it's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s later this week. It's going to create a bid miss with lots of standing water and spot flooding. Oh, and most of the munis are out of salt.

Otis

Cyburbian
Last week we had several days of highs in the 20s and freezing rain coating everything with ice. This week it's all rain and strong winds, highs around 50. The daffodils in my back yard are in bloom and those in the front will bloom in a day or two.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Fair and 70°F. Windows open. We get some rain later in the week. :lmao: :h:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday I started thinking that all this extra snow on the ground which will lead to increased water levels in the inland lakes and rivers and more water in the swampy and marsh like low-lying areas could mean a bumper crop for mosquitoes this spring and summer. :-{

AG74683

Cyburbian
Had an insane thunderstorm blow through around 4am this morning.

Woke me up, which is rare. Loudest thunder I've ever heard. Took me 2 hours to get the dog to calm down enough to go back to sleep.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There is thundersnow going on right now.:-|

That's not a good sign:-c

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
After very pleasant weather on Tuesday and Wednesday (sunshine, temps in the 40s, melting a lot of the snow), we had some rain and thunderstorms last night and this morning. Now it is foggy (visibility down to about an eight of a mile). A high wind warning has been posted for this evening and going into Friday, when gusts could approach 45-60 mph, in association with a cold front that will send us back to the teens and 20s next week.