• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
And so it goes :r:

Attachments

• feb26.jpg
    feb26.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Cancelled school again. Not altogether clear on why, though. We got maybe four inches of snow and the car thermometer said it was 8 driving in this a.m. But that wouldn't close school. Maybe it has something to do with the windchill because it did seem kinda windy.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Cancelled school again. Not altogether clear on why, though. We got maybe four inches of snow and the car thermometer said it was 8 driving in this a.m. But that wouldn't close school. Maybe it has something to do with the windchill because it did seem kinda windy.

Not many school closings on this side of the state today (and no new snow to speak of), but while the stated windchill this morning and yesterday was about -10º, it felt even much colder than that when I was outside both days. It's sort of surprisingly cold even relative to the past six+ weeks. I'm ready to pack up and just move to Florida.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not many school closings on this side of the state today (and no new snow to speak of), but while the stated windchill this morning and yesterday was about -10º, it felt even much colder than that when I was outside both days. It's sort of surprisingly cold even relative to the past six+ weeks. I'm ready to pack up and just move to Florida.

I spent several hours outside at work yesterday. Needless to say it was less than comfortable.

Just checked the 10 day forcast. No end in sight for the continued cold temps. Apart from the 2-3 blissful days we got last week with highs in the mid-upper 30's I can't remember the last time it felt comfortable outside.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As of 10 am this morning, it is officially the 2nd snowiest winter on record in my City. Tonight it will hit record cold temps and someone told me that the average daily temperature from November 1 to today is the coldest in history... and it will continue for a while. :(

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're up for another 6" of snow Sunday overnight into Monday midday. Please make it stop. Fun Fact: the Turnpike Authority which oversees the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway has spent more money on snow removal in Jan-Feb this year than the entire past two years COMBINED.

kms

Cyburbian
I think we're expecting 5 - 11 inches of snow, depending how the storm tracks. The meteorologist's way of saying "Yep, it's gonna snow, but God knows how much."

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Sunny with a forecast high of 71°F today. 75°F tomorrow. We are off to the pool deck. :h: :fl: :l:

Shockuler!!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we're expecting 5 - 11 inches of snow, depending how the storm tracks. The meteorologist's way of saying "Yep, it's gonna snow, but God knows how much."

My stock answer is "snow between 4 and 10 inches" as that's typically what we get.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Schools in my fair county and the four adjacent counties are closed due to this winter storm.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
18 degrees. Snow flurries. They say we can expect a single day - Friday - where the temps will get up to 39 but then it's right back down below freezing again.

btrage

Cyburbian
The Detroit Tigers have Opening Day on March 31. I'm not a turf management expert, but if things don't start to warm up will the field even be ready in 26 days?

Planit

Cyburbian
The Detroit Tigers have Opening Day on March 31. I'm not a turf management expert, but if things don't start to warm up will the field even be ready in 26 days?

Didn't the Minnesota Twinkies have a 'Snow Out' a couple years ago in their new outdoor stadium?

btrage

Cyburbian
Didn't the Minnesota Twinkies have a 'Snow Out' a couple years ago in their new outdoor stadium?

Yes, and the Tiger's have been snowed out as well.

My question was more from a turf management aspect. Will there be time to even have the field ready? I don't know.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

My question was more from a turf management aspect. Will there be time to even have the field ready? I don't know.

I believe that they actually "paint" the grass green with biodegradable chemicals before the season starts to make sure everything looks nice on TV for opening day

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I believe that they actually "paint" the grass green with biodegradable chemicals before the season starts to make sure everything looks nice on TV for opening day

Why not, I hear many tree farms do that with their Xmas trees right before putting them on sale after Thanksgiving.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

I imagine they'd bring in heaters to try to thaw it out to get it ready. If the D gets another cold snap right ahead of Opening Day, then it's probably lights out for that sod sooner rather than later. The thought of a game(s) being played on a frozen base-surface probably is giving the head groundskeeper nightmares.

Richmond Jake

Warm and sunny the past two days in central Florida (highs in the 70's). Lots of walking and picture taking. :h: We'll post pictures in the next several days.

btrage

Cyburbian
I imagine they'd bring in heaters to try to thaw it out to get it ready. If the D gets another cold snap right ahead of Opening Day, then it's probably lights out for that sod sooner rather than later. The thought of a game(s) being played on a frozen base-surface probably is giving the head groundskeeper nightmares.

They've had 16 heaters running 24/7 to keep the soil thawed. Supposed to lay new sod this week. With the 10-day forecast it looks like they'll be able to pull of a 3/31 home opener.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It was in the 60s here Saturday but yesterday we had snowflakes as big as your fist. About 2" stuck on grass, rooftops, and the like. Roads were clear.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm going to be locked away soon when the neighbors see me kneeling on the ground screaming and punching the snow. Why do I put up with this hell year after year?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was 19 degrees this morning. An unremarkable temperature for, say mid-January, but entirely too cold for late March. Yet another horrific coda to an already horrific winter.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was 19 degrees this morning. An unremarkable temperature for, say mid-January, but entirely too cold for late March. Yet another horrific coda to an already horrific winter.

They say it will be colder tomorrow morning.:-@

We also had snow this morning. Just when most my lawn was visible, I wake up it see it 100% covered again. As of right now, the areas where the sun hits has melted, but I agree with Maister. Way too cold. I have some projects that I have been working on in the garage that I have not been able to complete because of the temperatures.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It is 10 this morning. A somewhat cold temperature for January 26, but ridiculous for March 26!

Planit

Cyburbian
29 degrees this morning, but at least there's not a cold rain associated with it like yesterday morning.

btrage

Cyburbian
This has been the worst winter ever. Between me getting the flu after the first of the year, my wife being gone so much for work, the severe snow and cold, and to top it off, I came down with another head cold this past weekend. I'm part angry and part depressed. I just want to be warm again. I feel like it will never happen :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Under a cloudless azure sky, it is 22F along the north shore of the mighty Ohio River.

A Purdue University researcher is predicting a much cooler April-June based on current government data. After a very cold Winter, I'd happily accept a cool Summer as opposed to an oppressive hot and humid one.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the high 50s when I got home from work both Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday I was really tempted to drag the hammock out of the garage and set it up in the backyard. I knew that would be jumping the gun though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's April and that should mean spring, but we all know Old Man Winter probably has one last jab left in him.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, it's April. And like clockwork, we go straight from winter into monsoon season. I don't know how anyone could possibly pick "spring" as their favorite season. As a lifelong resident of Northern Illinois, spring to me usually means rainy, windy, chilly, and unsettled weather, and a thawing muddy ground (you will especially notice how terrible spring is in this regard if you have dogs). If we're lucky, we may have a few nice days here and there (a freak example is March 2012), and a nice May, but any "spring-like" weather is usually only for a few days before it becomes stifling summer weather.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Well, it's April. And like clockwork, we go straight from winter into monsoon season. I don't know how anyone could possibly pick "spring" as their favorite season. As a lifelong resident of Northern Illinois, spring to me usually means rainy, windy, chilly, and unsettled weather, and a thawing muddy ground (you will especially notice how terrible spring is in this regard if you have dogs). If we're lucky, we may have a few nice days here and there (a freak example is March 2012), and a nice May, but any "spring-like" weather is usually only for a few days before it becomes stifling summer weather.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - 'spring' tends to be a relative handful of days - never enough of those sunny mid 60's - low 70's days to really signify. It sometimes feels like we go from bitter cold and gray to cool and gray and then right to uncomfortably hot and sunny with minimal transition periods.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Agreed 100% on spring not being a favored season. I have always hated the mud and what seems like near constant dreariness, especially in early spring. The lack of leaves on the trees really bothers me more than it probably should too. Also, it always feels like there is a constant layer of dust, grit, and grime on top of everything for the first few weeks after all the snow has melted. We need a couple big thunderstorms and then a few days of sustained sun to really wash all that away.

Richmond Jake

The air conditioner was running for the first time this year when I got home this afternoon. It's going to be a long, hot summer.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The air conditioner was running for the first time this year when I got home this afternoon. It's going to be a long, hot summer.

Actually, it's been running for days, but RJ wasn't here for it.

It was pushing 80 today so I got all down and dirty sweating while doing yard work. I hate that. The weather turned dramatically in a week.

Planit

Cyburbian
A nice couple of days here lately - however my blue car has turned a funky shade of yellow

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Gotta' love Upstate New York.

dZ0BhSo.png

cfxomxq.jpg

You stupid Americans and your measuring with king's feet and prince's toes and pig's stomachs and other such silliness. I think you mean this.

6e9Tvww.png

DVD

Cyburbian
We had a nice weekend, then the snow hit in the morning. It's gone already.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Crazy weather this weekend.

So on Saturday morning, the northwest suburbs of Chicago were socked with one to two inch size hail. Roughly half dollar to golf ball size. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-12/news/chi-chicago-weather-20140412_1_storms-national-weather-service-kevin-birk

Then, we saw our first 80 degree reading of the year on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, it was a tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, with temperatures plunging into the 40s in the northern parts of Chicagoland on Sunday afternoon, as the western and southern parts of Chicagoland remained in the 60s. I was up north on Sunday evening and had my heat on in my car when I drove south. As I approached somewhere west of St. Charles, I had to turn off my heat and roll down my windows. This temperature difference could be reflected in the readings for O'Hare and Midway, with a 20+ degree temperature difference between the two airports most of the afternoon and early evening despite being only 15 miles apart.