• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Crazy weather this weekend.

So on Saturday morning, the northwest suburbs of Chicago were socked with one to two inch size hail. Roughly half dollar to golf ball size. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-12/news/chi-chicago-weather-20140412_1_storms-national-weather-service-kevin-birk

Then, we saw our first 80 degree reading of the year on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, it was a tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, with temperatures plunging into the 40s in the northern parts of Chicagoland on Sunday afternoon, as the western and southern parts of Chicagoland remained in the 60s. I was up north on Sunday evening and had my heat on in my car when I drove south. As I approached somewhere west of St. Charles, I had to turn off my heat and roll down my windows. This temperature difference could be reflected in the readings for O'Hare and Midway, with a 20+ degree temperature difference between the two airports most of the afternoon and early evening despite being only 15 miles apart.

I was on a bike ride Saturday and was riding from Crystal Lake to Algonquin and the sky looked ominous and you could tell it was raining not that far away. Within a minute or two of getting inside our destination the hail started. I don't think I would want to know how much that would hurt. And then it was dry after we finished eating.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Mid 70's today, and looking at about 10 hours of thunderstorms and possibly tornado watches starting around midnight. Then an unusually-late cold front that could send temps here in the FL panhandle into the 40's tomorrow night. 8-!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I was on a bike ride Saturday and was riding from Crystal Lake to Algonquin and the sky looked ominous and you could tell it was raining not that far away. Within a minute or two of getting inside our destination the hail started. I don't think I would want to know how much that would hurt. And then it was dry after we finished eating.

Wow, glad you were able to escape to shelter just in time!

Oh, and now it's snowing! Much of Chicagoland received 1-2 inches of snow this evening, but luckily the pavement remained snow-free. Apparently this is the first time in history where Chicago saw 60 degrees and at least half an inch of snow in the same calendar day.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Saturday was nice. Sunday the hail fell and then it rained hard all night. Monday the rain stopped and the temperatures dropped. By late morning I was seeing snowflakes. This morning it is 20 degrees and there is a coat of white over every unpaved surface. It is April. April. WTF?

DVD

Cyburbian
Our weather is just going crazy. This weekend we tied a record high around 90 and this week we have a record low and we'll be getting more snow on Thursday. Already had a light dusting yesterday. Just warm up already!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our weather is just going crazy. This weekend we tied a record high around 90 and this week we have a record low and we'll be getting more snow on Thursday. Already had a light dusting yesterday. Just warm up already!

I was going to say that we've had crazy weather here in Metro Detroit where it was in the mid 70s over the weekend, 71º yesterday morning at 5:00 a.m. when I went running, 40º last night when I went to bed, and now there's 2" of snow on the ground, but I think your Sunflower State swing from 90s to snow beats us.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I can usually sleep thru thunderstorms, but not the one that blew in around 3 this morning. It went on for almost 2 hours, so we never got back to sleep.

RJ may have a hard time staying awake during his jury duty today.|-):z::c:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
About an inch of snow on the ground this a.m.

There might be a few more nights with frost over the next month, but I'd say that was Old Man Winter's last jab.

DVD

Cyburbian
I was going to say that we've had crazy weather here in Metro Detroit where it was in the mid 70s over the weekend, 71º yesterday morning at 5:00 a.m. when I went running, 40º last night when I went to bed, and now there's 2" of snow on the ground, but I think your Sunflower State swing from 90s to snow beats us.

I should point out that the snow was only enough to stick around until the sun came up, but still enough to cool off the place. No 2" of snow for me.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I should point out that the snow was only enough to stick around until the sun came up, but still enough to cool off the place. No 2" of snow for me.

We've still got some flurries going on right now and I briefly experienced whiteout conditions while driving past one of the lakes on my way back to the office this afternoon.

DVD

Cyburbian
We're not that bad. The weather gets a little up and down with the occasional snow to annoy you, but it should steady out next month and I should be able to plant things this weekend - I hope.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
10 day forecast says we won't see the sun until next Tuesday:(

btrage

Cyburbian
It's April 28 and the weather still generally sucks.

I was able to get outside for about 4 hours in the yard and garage yesterday though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's April 28 and the weather still generally sucks.

I was able to get outside for about 4 hours in the yard and garage yesterday though.

I just looked up the weekly average for April last year thinking that it was much nicer in 2013, but this April has actually been slightly warmer. It sure doesn't feel like it though, and besides a few random nice days, I don't really recall all that much sunshine yet this year. I guess there is a reason that this is my least favorite part of the year.

Tide

Cyburbian
We were huddled together last night. I actually came home early from the APA to take care of the family. The county was under a warning from 830 - 1030 last night and there were reports of touch downs on the other side of the lake, about 10 miles away. Too close for comfort but glad the cells broke up just enough. It was the same cell that hit Tupelo.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Yikes Tide! I'm glad you and the family are ok. We are expecting the tornadoes here in NC tonight through tomorrow...crazy times ahead.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm leaving in a few minutes for a long lunch to go with my daughter on a field trip to a farm. Can the rain stop for about an hour so I'm not completely water logged when I return to the office?

Planit

Cyburbian
We were huddled together last night. I actually came home early from the APA to take care of the family. The county was under a warning from 830 - 1030 last night and there were reports of touch downs on the other side of the lake, about 10 miles away. Too close for comfort but glad the cells broke up just enough. It was the same cell that hit Tupelo.

Stay safe Mr. Tide!!! You too b_b

RJ & ZG are getting really wet right now according to the radar

Last edited:

The One

Cyburbian
Ahhh.......

Clear skies......pushing 90 degrees......a slight breeze out of the West........ahhhhh.......

You may carry on.......

:h:

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Spring on the Front Range

Standard wind event on Colo's Front Range:

12:55 N 37 G 54 mph
11:55 N 44 G 52
10:55 N 31 G 52
09:55 N 33 G 48
08:55 N 31 G 44
07:55 N 24 G 40
06:55 N 31 G 43
05:55 N 29 G 39

Had the kid walk to school today instead of ride her bike, as this is a headwind, uphill. Wind should top out near 60 today.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

RJ & ZG are getting really wet right now according to the radar

Couple of thunderstorms. Not a huge rain maker for us; just over one-inch. More in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. We're under a flash flood watch until tomorrow night.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Hope the NC planners are ok. We were shut down last evening, so I ended up flipping between the weather channel and other programs. Interesting watching the storms and how they are reported. I understand the idea of weather pron now.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This happened before I was born but not far from where I grew up and I recognize many of the last names of the deceased (and the high school mentioned was mine) in the story. Growing up, I remember tornado drills being a very big deal and being taken very seriously in the elementary schools. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned that this storm was a major catalyst for that.

50 Years After the Tornado Disaster in Chesterfield Township

btrage

Cyburbian
This happened before I was born but not far from where I grew up and I recognize many of the last names of the deceased (and the high school mentioned was mine) in the story. Growing up, I remember tornado drills being a very big deal and being taken very seriously in the elementary schools. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned that this storm was a major catalyst for that.

50 Years After the Tornado Disaster in Chesterfield Township

I never even knew about this storm until yesterday.

DVD

Cyburbian
All the nasty weather moved just north of us last night so all we got was about an inch of rain. No big tornadoes, but the news made sure to preempt everything so that we could watch a descending cloud for a good 10-20 minutes.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I put away my winter running gear this past weekend after a 70º predawn run last Friday. This morning it was 35º when I went on my run and I was glad I had forgotten to put away my running gloves and wool cap. And then I had to wear a much heavier coat on my way to work than I can remember wearing this late into the spring in a looooooooooooong time. :not:

Richmond Jake

Current conditions:

A Few Clouds
79°F
26°C
Humidity: 34%
Wind Speed: Vrbl 6 mph
Barometer 30.07 in (1019.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 48°F (9°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

More of the same on-tap through Tuesday. :D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had a trace of snow...yes snow...in the far western suburbs of Chicago this morning. It was in the 30s and 40s most of the day. On May 16th. This winter just will not go away. Hard to believe it will be Memorial Day next weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Pretty nice at 8 pm - 63 degrees w/ 48% humidity, no wind, clear skies :)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We were at an annual BBQ at a friend's house on Saturday and everybody was in a sweater or medium weight jacket. I remember the weekend last year and we were all constantly going inside the house because the heat was sweltering that time around.

Richmond Jake

Current conditions:

Fair
91°F - 33°C
Humidity: 47%
Wind Speed: S 13 mph
Barometer: 30.04 in (1018.3 mb)
Dewpoint: 68°F (20°C)
Heat Index: 95°F (35°C)

More of the same through the weekend. What a coincidence, the hot tub was finally repaired today. :r:

Richmond Jake

At 11:00 this morning:

Fair
89°F - 32°C
Humidity: 49%
Wind Speed: W 6 mph
Barometer: 30.10 in (1019.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 68°F (20°C)
Heat Index: 92°F (33°C)

I'm off to the pool.

The One

Cyburbian
A dry heat dudes!

Fair
109°F
43°C
Humidity12%
Wind SpeedNW 13 MPH
Barometer29.61 in (1001.7 mb)
Dewpoint44°F (7°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index105°F (41°C)

Last Update on 09 Jun 3:54 pm PDT

Richmond Jake

A Few Clouds
88°F - 31°C
Humidity 61%
Wind Speed S 12 mph
Barometer 29.94 in (1014.9 mb)
Dewpoint 73°F (23°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 96°F (36°C)

Last Update on 10 Jun 3:53 pm CDT

The One

Cyburbian
more

Fair
102°F
39°C
Humidity11%
Wind SpeedNW 15 MPH
Barometer29.63 in (1002.5 mb)
Dewpoint37°F (3°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index97°F (36°C)

Once that humidity gets below 10% my nose will bleed.....

DVD

Cyburbian
Ugh. It's been raining really hard for most of the day. Prepare the ark. :r:

It's nice to be in Phoenix where the weather is nice and toasty. Back home they have some flood warnings going on. Maybe I should go back and do some of that floodplain administration? Or not.