• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Fair
91°F - 33°C
Humidity 59%
Wind Speed SW 12 mph
Barometer 29.96 in (1015.7 mb)
Dewpoint 75°F (24°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 102°F (39°C)

Last Update on 30 Jun 4:53 pm CDT

The One

Cyburbian
Yup.....for the next 7 straight days here......

Fair
104°F
40°C

Humidity15%
Wind SpeedNW 10 MPH
Barometer29.70 in (1004.7 mb)
Dewpoint47°F (8°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index100°F (38°C)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had some wicked weather to end the month of June last night in the Chicagoland area. First line of storms rolled in around 6:30/7:00pm. I was meeting some co-workers for dinner and as I was walking to the restaurant I noticed it went from being very hot and muggy and still to very cool, dry, and breezy, and then a minute or two after I got in the restaurant, the rain started coming down in sheets, coupled with 40-50 mph wind gusts. Luckily this first round of storms turned out to not be as bad as forecast.

Then round two came just as we were leaving the restaurant around 9:45. This came as a complete surprise and was very violent. I wound up getting to my car right as the rain started to fall, and then then as I got out on the road, the rain and wind and lightning were incredible. As I was driving home, I felt like I was driving through a river the entire time because there was so much water on the road. Tree branches down everywhere. Traffic signals out. Police blocking off various roads. Then a weather alert came through on my phone. I didn't check my phone at the time, just assuming it to be a flash flood warning. But when I did check my phone when I got home, it turned out it was actually a tornado warning. :-o

There was widespread wind damage throughout the Chicagoland area, including some straight-line winds of 70-100 mph (essentially hurricane force) and five EF-1 tornadoes in places just to the south of me in La Salle, Kendall, and Will Counties. Places like Earlville, Mendota, Morris, Plainfield, Romeoville, and Grant Park (a town north of Kankakee, not the lakefront park in Chicago) saw extensive damage, with roofs torn off, some buildings destroyed, and many trees and power poles uprooted or snapped. The National Weather Service has a nice write-up here: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=103173&source=0

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was f*ing hot and humid this afternoon. Why do I know, because I was out in it supervising a job site. It's going to be a long, hot summer for me as we remediate a site.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Current Conditions
Temperature: 71°F (22°C)
Weather: Overcast
Humidity: 61%
Wind Speed: NW 6 MPH
Wind Gust: 0 MPH
Barometer: 30.17 in. (1021.4 mb)
Dew Point: 57°F (14°C)
Wind Chill: N/A
Heat Index: N/A
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Planit

Cyburbian
Right now its in the high 80s and possibly hitting low 90s later today. But the late afternoon calls for some big-time storms (wind, rain, maybe hail) and the temp dropping to the low 70s. There is a 90% chance at 4:00 - just in time to drive home.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Guess what ... more rain coming today. :( I'm a gardener and I love having enough rain but we're bordering on too much because it's tended to come down in torrents. Except for a few days right when I planted them, I have not had to water my any of my veggies, my transplants, or my two new little dogwood trees. That's great but I also can't cultivate my veggie garden with the mini-tiller that I bought to do just that: it's too wet.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
There's been a light, steady rain here all morning. It's kind of nice.

We're getting the same system. It would be nice if we hadn't had major thunderstorms with heavy rain on Tuesday ... and that had come on the heels of a major rainstorm (1 inch plus) about once a week for the last 5 or 6.

Richmond Jake

Warm day today....in fact, we're in a heat advisory until 6:00 pm. Time to hit the pool. :h:

A Few Clouds
87°F - 31°C
Humidity 77%
Wind Speed W 13 mph
Barometer 30.10 in (1019.6 mb)
Dewpoint 79°F (26°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 101°F (38°C)

Last Update on 27 Jul 9:58 am CDT

zman

Cyburbian
After 100 degrees and sunny on the high plains... seeing overcast and slightly humid here.
I was sweating like a hog yesterday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Cooled down this weekend. They're only calling for highs in the 70's this week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I pulled up to the parking area of the outdoor venue for a James Taylor concert last night just as the sky turned black and the severe weather sirens started going off. We sat in the Jeep for a bit as the wind swirled and it rained steadily. It let up when they opened the doors only to begin pouring on us once we were seated. Even with a full rain suit I was drenched. Oh well. The concert was still good.

The drive home was interesting. As we got closer to home and to the main road through the northern suburbs, there was about a 4 mile stretch with no power so stoplights were out, streetlights were out and there were no lights on the buildings. Combined with very few headlights from other traffic and a very cloudy night, it was quite dark out. I forgot how dark it can get without all the ambient light!

Planit

Cyburbian
A tornado hit a town just north of Boston a couple of hours ago - not exactly tornado alley

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Set a new record low temperature here today: 54F, beats the previous low of 58F, set in 1928. Very pleasant for late July.:)

Richmond Jake

This is why I took this afternoon off. Best weather of the year.

A Few Clouds
86°F - 30°C
Humidity 54%
Wind Speed SW 9 mph
Barometer 29.99 in (1015.9 mb)
Dewpoint 67°F (19°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 89°F (32°C)

Last Update on 30 Jul 2:58 pm CDT

A great day by the pool. :h: :D

Richmond Jake

Fair 88°F - 31°C
Humidity 73%
Wind Speed W 10 mph
Barometer 29.98 in (1015.5 mb)
Dewpoint 78°F (26°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 102°F (39°C)

Last Update on 18 Aug 3:58 pm CDT

The One

Cyburbian
Ugggh.....

Still pushing 100 degrees every day this week here......about 35% humidity.....:(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
They are saying that we might get some bad weather on Wed. To top it off, it sounds like we are in for a super nasty winter.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They are saying that we might get some bad weather on Wed. To top it off, it sounds like we are in for a super nasty winter.

We still have people over on this side of the state who are without power since Friday evening's storms. The local utilities have declared that Friday was the 11th most destructive storm in over 100 years.

We were driving home from Traverse City on Friday afternoon and were always a bit ahead of the nasty weather but could literally see the nasty weather rolling in behind us. Around the time we got to Flint it was starting to look particularly bad; I also watched the thermometer on the dash stay in the mid 70s when we left Traverse city until we got to about Saginaw and then start to climb into the mid 90s pretty quickly. About an hour or so after we got home, the skies really opened up (right after I put some burgers on the grill of course). The winds were strong and we lost quite a few limbs and some neighbors lost some big trees but thankfully it calmed down relatively quickly and we never lost power. Saturday morning I was looking at the outage map online and it looked like there was a definitive line just south of us where those to the north escaped with little damage and those to the south just got hammered.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We still have people over on this side of the state who are without power since Friday evening's storms. The local utilities have declared that Friday was the 11th most destructive storm in over 100 years.

We were driving home from Traverse City on Friday afternoon and were always a bit ahead of the nasty weather but could literally see the nasty weather rolling in behind us. Around the time we got to Flint it was starting to look particularly bad; I also watched the thermometer on the dash stay in the mid 70s when we left Traverse city until we got to about Saginaw and then start to climb into the mid 90s pretty quickly. About an hour or so after we got home, the skies really opened up (right after I put some burgers on the grill of course). The winds were strong and we lost quite a few limbs and some neighbors lost some big trees but thankfully it calmed down relatively quickly and we never lost power. Saturday morning I was looking at the outage map online and it looked like there was a definitive line just south of us where those to the north escaped with little damage and those to the south just got hammered.

I had a similar experience working at the lake shore and heading back to the City. My rear-view mirror was nothing but lightning and back ominous clouds.

I am starting to wonder if people are over doing this coming storm though. I was going to have a pre-construction meeting with a developer, but he canceled it because of the weather, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony for a new mixed use building near my house, and that is being postponed. There are even some churches that have canceled religious classes for tomorrow because if the pending weather.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had a similar experience working at the lake shore and heading back to the City. My rear-view mirror was nothing but lightning and back ominous clouds.

I am starting to wonder if people are over doing this coming storm though. I was going to have a pre-construction meeting with a developer, but he canceled it because of the weather, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony for a new mixed use building near my house, and that is being postponed. There are even some churches that have canceled religious classes for tomorrow because if the pending weather.

I was thinking you were using hyperbole about things being cancelled out there before the storms even arrive but then I just saw this on one of the local TV station websites:

DPS Dismissing Students Early Ahead of Storms

WTF? Is there a hurricane coming or something? I have never seen people so freaked out so far in advance about a rain storm. It's like we are preparing for a blizzard over here.

Michaelskis - please report when GR gets wiped off the map later today so I know when to begin taking cover on this side of the state. :r:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What is the big deal with the dire weather warnings? So far this has been a rainy day..... and a rather typical one at that.:r:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What is the big deal with the dire weather warnings? So far this has been a rainy day..... and a rather typical one at that.:r:

[local weather people]OMG! THERE IS WATER FALLING FROM THE SKY! DO YOU BELIEVE THIS? IT IS COLLECTING INTO PUDDLES. OH THE HUMANITY! THE WIND IS GUSTING TO AN AMAZING 4 MILES AN HOUR. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE WE CAN HANDLE. [/local weather people]

Me, Yea! Nice long soaking rain! I don't need to water my lawn this week.

The One

Cyburbian
Uggh.....

I'm officially tired of perfectly sunny days.......need to mix it up a bit here:h: And NO the Chinese...esq quality of air doesn't do it for me:-c

The One

Cyburbian
Here it is.....

Good grief......

lpHhoIU.png

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
[local weather people]OMG! THERE IS WATER FALLING FROM THE SKY! DO YOU BELIEVE THIS? IT IS COLLECTING INTO PUDDLES. OH THE HUMANITY! THE WIND IS GUSTING TO AN AMAZING 4 MILES AN HOUR. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE WE CAN HANDLE. [/local weather people]

Me, Yea! Nice long soaking rain! I don't need to water my lawn this week.

It is out of hand. They closed schools. Really? What are the kids going to do, wait on the porch till the parents come home? Hope they have a covered one!

otterpop

Cyburbian
We had snow last night in the higher elevations. A car in the parking lot this morning had snow and ice on its bumpers. It is only early September. I am not mentally ready for winter. Cut this out right now. I want Indian Summer and I want it NOW!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I heard Rapid City broke a record for earliest measurable snowfall.

Here, it's in the 50s and cloudy. I love fall, but it's too early for this weather. Next week, it's supposed to be 69-70 and sunny. Now that's perfect September weather! :h:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There's no point remaining in denial.....it pretty much looks like fall has already arrived and it's quite early.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There's no point remaining in denial.....it pretty much looks like fall has already arrived and it's quite early.

True! There are parts of the UP that had snow over the weekend... Summer officially ends next week. However, I am a but surprised that I have not seen more leaf color change yet.

Maybe it is just a cold spell that we are going though. Looks like it might hit 80 on Saturday.... with a high of 60 on Monday. :-@

Planit

Cyburbian
We've been in the low 60s while driving into work the last few days. Nice, crisp, cool with the windows & sunroof open!

I need to mow the grass and was going to do so last evening. Well it started to rain about 5 blocks from the house and continued on & off for the remaining of the night. In fact sometime near 7:00 we had a heavy downpour with thunder & hail.

Glad we didn't take that trip to Cabo...

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
:h: Now this is the September weather I like:

Wed 9/17: Sunny. High 70, Low 47.
Thu 9/18: Sunny. High 68. Low 49.
Fri 9/19: Sunny. High 74. Low 59.
Sat 9/20: Partly sunny, 40% chance PM t-storms. High 81. Low 61.
Sun 9/21: Mostly sunny. High 73. Low 52.
Mon 9/22: Mostly sunny. High 69. Low 49.
Tue 9/23: Mostly sunny. High 65.

Richmond Jake

We're in a flash flood watch until 7:00 tomorrow evening. This should be an interesting several hours. :not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Lexington KY conference - Wednesday & Thursday 80's sunny, Friday 60-70's rainy/overcast
Home Saturday - now 51 sunny & breezy

Is summer over ?

Richmond Jake

Sunny and 75°F at the moment. Today was the last day of swimming in the pool for me. The water is 80°F and I don't expect it to get any warmer. Mr. Happy shrunk to the size of my pinkie toe. :-o

Looking forward to next Spring. :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado watches are up to the west of me along the IN/IL border and Southwest along the IL/KY border until 7pm