• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Warm and Wet today. We slept with the windows open last night as it was warmer outside than it was inside.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Had a lot of rain yesterday afternoon and last night. Mid 60s today. Currently cloudy, with more rain showers expected to develop this afternoon. It's supposed to be damp and dreary the rest of the week. But it's supposed to clear up for the weekend, with mostly sunny skies and temps in the upper 50s forecast.

Hope everyone stays safe down south!

Planit

Cyburbian
The NC mountains got several inches of snow this weekend. I know Boone & Hendersonville got around 2 inches. We just got an inch of rain in the foothills.

This morning it was 30 degrees. This afternoon it should be 65.

I saw on the news that LP & NHPlanner might be in the double digits of snow inches...

The One

Cyburbian
Ahhh

Got our first real rain in six months here.......felt good......love the cool weather with clouds:p

Linda_D

Cyburbian
The winter season is officially here: the first lake effect snow advisory of the season for Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties has been posted for this evening through late tomorrow afternoon. Areas in persistent bands could see 1-2 inches tonight, and up to 6 inches by about 4pm on Thursday in the higher elevations.

I'm ready: The snowblower got new oil and sparkplug and some lubrication a couple of weeks ago, the Subi has new rubber, and I moved the snow brush from the back seat floor to the front seat.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am happy I am not in the UP right now...
According to Meteorologist Shawn Householder most regions so far have picked up snow totals in the upper teens to near 20 inches. The highest report so far is in Negaunee at 32.5"
LINK

Snow.jpg

DVD

Cyburbian
It's just plain cold here. Thankfully it's not windy. The wind is what kills you here. Granted it could be worse, I could live in one of the Dakotas.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's just plain cold here. Thankfully it's not windy. The wind is what kills you here. Granted it could be worse, I could live in one of the Dakotas.

Williston ND at 12 degrees & wind chill of -1
Deadwood SD at -2 & no wind chill

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This reporter's temperature gauge for when it was really cold out.

Teeth Hurt Cold:
When you step outside and open your mouth the cold hurts your teeth. That’s pretty cold, and it rarely occurs unless the temperatures drop into the teens.

Frozen Nose Hair Cold:
This is a step colder than Teeth Hurt Cold in that, when you take a breath your nose hairs bristle and stiffen as they pathetically attempt to shield your lungs from the shock of the bitter-cold, yet life-sustaining air.

Lung Stab Cold:
This is the coldest of the cold. Lung Stab cold happens when upon your first step outside your lungs cry out with their first breath “The cold is stabbing me!”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/theden/2014/11/12/cold-denver-cold/

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We got our first local snow of the year. It is all lake effect thanks to a Canadian air mass parking over Lake Michigan. The problem is that the ground was/is warm and when the snow its the ground it starts to melt but the upper layers will then freeze making the roads very icy. They have already shut down freeways sections a few times to clear all the accidents.

The One

Cyburbian
You forgot.....

This reporter's temperature gauge for when it was really cold out.

Teeth Hurt Cold:
When you step outside and open your mouth the cold hurts your teeth. That’s pretty cold, and it rarely occurs unless the temperatures drop into the teens.

Frozen Nose Hair Cold:
This is a step colder than Teeth Hurt Cold in that, when you take a breath your nose hairs bristle and stiffen as they pathetically attempt to shield your lungs from the shock of the bitter-cold, yet life-sustaining air.

Lung Stab Cold:
This is the coldest of the cold. Lung Stab cold happens when upon your first step outside your lungs cry out with their first breath “The cold is stabbing me!”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/theden/2014/11/12/cold-denver-cold/

Steam off a stream of urine cold......true story.....+o(#Utahat8,000feetinJanuary

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
One of the suburbs of my great City received 9 inches in 24 hours. :-c:not:

I still have some landscaping stuff I wanted to get done, looks like I will be planting trees in cold ground.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sure it snowed about 5 inches yesterday, but at least I got to go x-country skiing with my son last night.:)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of the suburbs of my great City received 9 inches in 24 hours. :-c:not:

I still have some landscaping stuff I wanted to get done, looks like I will be planting trees in cold ground.

Sure it snowed about 5 inches yesterday, but at least I got to go x-country skiing with my son last night.:)

A friend of mine lives in Holland and that had about a foot at their house last week. I had to show my wife the pictures and try to convince her that we live on the wrong side of the state.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It should be fun here tomorrow. Our high is suppose to be 36 which is cold for us as our average lo temp is 39 for this time of year. I know other places are colder but they are suppose to be we are not.

The One

Cyburbian
Burrrr

I was shocked.....SHOCKED I tell you....to see it was only 44 degrees this morning.......:-o Not a problem.....going to be 71 degrees this afternoon.....pheew!:h:

Bubba

Cyburbian
14 degree wind chill here, going to be colder tomorrow - this is February weather.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We got down to 16F, with a wind chill of 2F. Kids had the only snow day in November in their school's history yesterday, and a 2-hour delay today. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coragus

Cyburbian
Got up to 5 inches of snow this morning. It's still snowing. Schools are closed, including the local university. The library we share the building with is closed. But by god, we're here.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was 12º this morning. I don't recall it being this cold this early in a long time.

I still managed to get in a 12 mile run (a mile for each degree?) and only had to stop to scrape the frost and ice off of my scarf twice.

n12yhu.jpg

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It was 12º this morning. I don't recall it being this cold this early in a long time.

I still managed to get in a 12 mile run (a mile for each degree?) and only had to stop to scrape the frost and ice off of my scarf twice.

n12yhu.jpg

Wow, with that thing on your forehead, are you part of the Borg invasion?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wow, with that thing on your forehead, are you part of the Borg invasion?

That's my laser guided missile targeting system.

Or it might actually be my headlamp. It was 4:48 a.m. when I started my run so I definitely needed the light and that lamp may be large but it's USB rechargeable and doesn't die on my long runs (2+ hours) even when temps are below zero like they were for much of last winter.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
WNY got a general snowfall yesterday, between 2 and 4 inches in most places, most of it in the morning with temps in the upper 20s and low 30s. By afternoon, the snow tapered off to flurries. By evening, the storm that smacked Michigan had moved east, and the winds went crazy and the temps dropped. Here in Jamestown, we got nothing but wind and cold, and woke up to sunny skies. North and west of us, primarily Buffalo and its suburbs, however, they got and are getting walloped by massive amounts of lake effect snow. Some notable closings:
  • I-90 from Dunkirk, NY (40 miles south of Buffalo) to Henrietta (Rochester suburb)
  • all the arterial highways around and through Buffalo and its suburbs
  • apparently all elementary and secondary schools in Erie County
  • most colleges
  • federal courts in Buffalo
  • many, if not most businesses, organizations, and activities in Buffalo's southern suburbs ("Southtowns"), with many others in other areas also closed
  • many manufacturing plants, especially in South Buffalo and the Southtowns

Several towns to the south and southeast of Buffalo have issued travel bans or declared states of emergencies. These areas are not populated by snow wimps, either. Residents of the Southtowns know how to deal with lake effect snows storms that can dump a foot of snow overnight because they get that pretty regularly in November and December. This storm, however, is a monster because Lake Erie is still so warm (ie, 45+), the air coming across it is so cold, the winds are so strong (20-30 mph, gusting to 40), and, the killer, the winds are coming from the southwest so they picking up moisture for almost the full length of Lake Erie before barreling into the shoreline from Dunkirk northward and inland into Buffalo and its suburbs, especially the southern suburbs. While original estimates said snow totals would be 1-2 feet, the NWS thinks that storm totals may reach 5 to 6 feet in some areas!

Normally, lake effect snow bands are fairly narrow and oscillate north and south, spreading their misery further but lessening snow amount, as the winds creating them shift as systems move by. This band, though, is not only very wide, it's shown only slight north-south movement since about 11 pm last night. Just looking at weather radar now, it appears that this band has begun sinking southward a little bit so that most of Buffalo and its northern suburbs are clear of it right now as is the I-90 from east of Clarence, NY.

All I can say is, "better them than us".

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
WNY got a general snowfall yesterday, between 2 and 4 inches in most places...

While original estimates said snow totals would be 1-2 feet, the NWS thinks that storm totals may reach 5 to 6 feet in some areas!

WTF? That is awesome! Break out the snowshoes!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
imagejpg1.jpg

This was the view of my driveway at 6 am this morning. I had to stop shoveling because my wife needed to get to work. Yes, we plowed the snow with the back of the car as I backed it down the driveway and out into the street.

My dad saw the pic on FB and said that we have more snow than he has in the UP. :-@

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well as 80s rock band Cinderella would say, "It's gonna be a long cold winter...a long cold winter without your love."

We've had some occasional flurries here in Chicagoland and a light dusting on Saturday, but nothing like what's been seen in points north and east of here. However, it's been really cold. Highs in the teens, lows in the single digits the past few days. Feels more like January. It's supposed to warm up over the weekend and we could see freezing rain on Saturday before it changes over to all rain. There's nothing I hate more than freezing rain. So incredibly dangerous.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
WTF? That is awesome! Break out the snowshoes!

Parts of Buffalo, specifically South Buffalo, got about 6 feet of snow in about 24 hours from a lake event snow storm that set up just like this one just about the same time of year (mid-November) about 14 years ago (2000, I think), so it could very well happen, and happen right in the city.

You know what's really sick? It's supposed to be in the 40s over the week and 55-58 on Monday!!! Hopefully nobody gets flooded.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Well as 80s rock band Cinderella would say, "It's gonna be a long cold winter...a long cold winter without your love."

We've had some occasional flurries here in Chicagoland and a light dusting on Saturday, but nothing like what's been seen in points north and east of here. However, it's been really cold. Highs in the teens, lows in the single digits the past few days. Feels more like January. It's supposed to warm up over the weekend and we could see freezing rain on Saturday before it changes over to all rain. There's nothing I hate more than freezing rain. So incredibly dangerous.

I will NOT drive on ice. My boss already knows that if there's a forecast for freezing rain, he won't see me until the temps get above freezing. Luckily, ice storms are extremely rare in this part of the country. I'll take WNY's lake effect snow, even when it's measured in feet, over freezing rain/icing any day of any week.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Normally, lake effect snow bands are fairly narrow and oscillate north and south, spreading their misery further but lessening snow amount, as the winds creating them shift as systems move by. This band, though, is not only very wide, it's shown only slight north-south movement since about 11 pm last night. Just looking at weather radar now, it appears that this band has begun sinking southward a little bit so that most of Buffalo and its northern suburbs are clear of it right now as is the I-90 from east of Clarence, NY.

All I can say is, "better them than us".

My brother sent me pictures from West Seneca (just SE of Buffalo for those not familiar with the area). He's already got 3+ feet in his yard, possibly 4. I think the latest word is upwards of 6 feet will fall in some places by the time this is done Wednesday night.