• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I will NOT drive on ice. My boss already knows that if there's a forecast for freezing rain, he won't see me until the temps get above freezing. Luckily, ice storms are extremely rare in this part of the country. I'll take WNY's lake effect snow, even when it's measured in feet, over freezing rain/icing any day of any week.

I second the no-driving-on-ice. When that was still an issue for me, I would take driving on snow over ice any day.

kms

Cyburbian
I will NOT drive on ice. My boss already knows that if there's a forecast for freezing rain, he won't see me until the temps get above freezing. Luckily, ice storms are extremely rare in this part of the country. I'll take WNY's lake effect snow, even when it's measured in feet, over freezing rain/icing any day of any week.

Same here.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
school cancelled yesterday and the windchill was around zero. Needless to say, that means we got a lot of time sledding and x country skiing logged in.:)

Planit

Cyburbian
This morning it is 16 degrees - that would be F and not C - regardless it is cold. That is all.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Every time I think it is bad, here... there is Buffalo.
The towns south of Buffalo were believed to be the hardest hit, but snow totals were hard to come by. The National Weather Service said some places could approach the record for a single-day snowfall in the United States, 6 feet 4 inches.

Link

The One

Cyburbian
Arrggg

People around here are getting pretty upset about the sub 70 degree days we are getting starting tomorrow until Saturday......tragic:(

72 degrees today:h: and 68 degrees tomorrow......AHHHHH NOOOOO:-o:-c Oh and a couple of random clouds might show their ugly faces:-@

Big Owl

Cyburbian
People around here are getting pretty upset about the sub 70 degree days we are getting starting tomorrow until Saturday......tragic:(

72 degrees today:h: and 68 degrees tomorrow......AHHHHH NOOOOO:-o:-c Oh and a couple of random clouds might show their ugly faces:-@

It's a dry 72 degrees isn't it?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Next July expect to see multiple posts like "oh man, is it hot. It's nearly 84 today! Definitely time to turn on the AC....."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The Midwest is stupid, but it is like this every year people.... cold then hot, then unexpectedly cold, then unexpectedly hot.

We do this often.

kms

Cyburbian
It's been a cold and sunny morning so far, but, in the distance, the sky is dark. I checked my weather app, and it says that ICE starts in 40 min.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is in the 30's and raining here. The Santa Parade is going on in downtown right now but we are watching it on TV because the two younger kids don't feel well this morning. Much warmer and dryer in my living room.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Rain changing to snow today. It looks like changeover is starting as I write this. They're only calling for about an inch where I'm at. Points north and west, such as DeKalb, Rockford, and the far northern suburbs of Chicago could see 2-4 inches though.

The One

Cyburbian
Meh!

Once again we can only expect 70 degrees for a high here.......FEEL MY PAIN PEOPLE:wall::ashamed::glum:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Difference Between Meteorological Winter and Astronomical Winter

Meteorological winter is a three month period that runs from Dec 1st to the end of February. It is the coldest three month period of the year in the northern hemisphere.

Astronomical winter is what we all refer to when we talk about the winter season and this is based on when the sun reaches the most southern point on the globe, the Tropic of Capricorn.
If you are located right on the Tropic of Capricorn at 12:00 noon on the first day of astronomical winter, the sun will be directly overhead.
Also, on the first day of astronomical winter, the sun is at its lowest point in our sky at 12:00 noon and, of course, it is the shortest day of the year.
Obviously, it is the first day of the summer season in the southern hemisphere.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We had a high today of 77°F and 78°F yesterday. Currently 72°F. :h:

Vancity

Cyburbian
THERE IS NO SNOW. :-@
THERE IS NO SNOW IN THE CITY
THERE IS NO SNOW ON THE MOUNTAINS.

THIS IS THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW OF *%^$ SNOW.

anger.

Why do I even live here?

[ot]
...Why do I even live here?
Because it's one of the best damn cities in the world! That's why.:)

Gosh, what I wouldn't do to be a Canadian citizen and reside in Vancouver. Anything that's legal and within my ethical boundaries. But Canada does not particularly want Americans in their early 50's with pre-existing physical handicaps like mine. :([/ot]

TOFB

Cyburbian
THERE IS NO SNOW. :-@
THERE IS NO SNOW IN THE CITY
THERE IS NO SNOW ON THE MOUNTAINS.

THIS IS THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW OF *%^$ SNOW.

anger.

Why do I even live here?

Experiencing some bitter cold that is not coupled with a bunch of ice and snow. Actually, it is quite tolerable.

kms

Cyburbian
Sirens woke me this morning, followed by a text advising people to stay home because of icy roads. It's warmed up since, and it's raining.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Out to shovel for the first time since before Thanksgiving; looking at sub zero for much of next week. Not happy.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was 7 driving in to work this a.m. I don't know what the wind chill was/is.

Edit: just looked it up, it's - 8 below

Mind you, I don't think we have any right whatsoever to complain. It is, after all early January and December saw virtually no snow.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It was -3 F with a wind chill of -16 F when I woke up this morning. Right now it is 2 F, but the wind chill is still -16 F. We had a half inch of snow on Saturday night that blew all around on Sunday. We're supposed to have 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight.

The forecast the rest of the week:
Tuesday: 12 F
Tuesday night: -7 F, blowing snow
Wednesday: 0 F, blowing snow
Wednesday night: -14 F
Thursday: 13 F
Thursday night: 3 F
Friday: 9 F
Friday night: -3 F

But yeah, like Maister said, we're in the Midwest and thus really can't complain too much after a snowless and relatively mild December

TOFB

Cyburbian
7 below air temp today. 7 above tomorrow with 7 inches of snow expected tonight. Lucky us.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yesterday, it was 6 degrees (F) with a windchill of -11 when I took my son to school. This morning it was 9 with -14 windchill. Tomorrow's high will only be 12. It is going to be like this all week long. :(

Once again, my wife used a dry erase marker on the bathroom mirror. One side had the local 10 day forecast, the other had the 10 day forecast for Charlotte NC.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Picked up about 3 inches of snow with the clipper system that came through last night. On one hand, these clipper systems are nice because the light, dry, powdery snow is easy to brush off your car. On the other hand, it sucks, because the snow blows around more easily and it is so cold so the snow doesn't melt as easily, therefore ensuring that the roads are always treacherous. With the sun out and the wind not too strong at the moment and the salt having a chance to work, the pavement is starting to clear up, but it was pretty treacherous on the way into work this morning. It's days like today that I'm glad I chose to move only 3 miles from work.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Forecast -

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -12. North northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Tomorrow's forecast high is now -7 with wind chills in the -30s. Just about all the schools in Chicagoland are closed tomorrow. Why, back in my day, you just bundled up and went to school!

The temperature is not supposed to get above 12 until Sunday when we finally go back into the 20s.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
17°F or -8°C
Wind Chill 3°F or -16°C

FORECAST -
A chance of flurries between 11am and noon.
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a temperature falling to around 8 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -11.
Blustery, with a north northwest wind 18 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today is one of those days when I question where I live.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
9 out with a wicked wind chill. We only got maybe 2-3 more inches of snow last night but they closed school. We have 5-10" on tap for later today but I think they closed school due to the temps.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was about 8º on this side of the state this morning with no windchill and only a light dusting of snow overnight. Perfect weather for a 10k run before work!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sheet ice on the roads - Check
-12 (F) windchills - Check
White out conditions near the lakeshore - Check
Over a dozen vehicles in the ditch - Check

I still made the 50-ish mile commute into work in a 2 wheel drive Impala with over 250,000 miles on it. I want a damn cookie or something for my efforts. :-@

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Looking forward to the entertainment this weekend--ice/freezing rain is forecast for the Austin area Friday night. It might be 8* where you live, but nothing competes with the level of stupid that happens around here if there is any combination of cold temperatures and moisture.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Looking forward to the entertainment this weekend--ice/freezing rain is forecast for the Austin area Friday night. It might be 8* where you live, but nothing competes with the level of stupid that happens around here if there is any combination of cold temperatures and moisture.

yea-I stay in on days like that around here too. Ice is nothing to sneeze at.

Its only a high of 38 here today...in the South. :'(

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Today's one of the days where I say F*&#-it. I am moving someplace warmer before next winter.
Well, I only have a 1.5 mile commute and my office has great south exposure. And I'm even getting lake effect snow today. Yeah! :D ;)

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It was 81 yesterday, 79 today. Bitter cold in the morning (lows around 30) I know.. i know..cheap shot

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I only have a 1.5 mile commute and my office has great south exposure. And I'm even getting lake effect snow today. Yeah! :D ;)

I have a 50 ish mile commute out of the big city to a lake shore community. My office is in an old poorly insulated historic building with very bad aftermarket windows and I have a west facing view of the harbor. It is freaking awesome in the summer, but bites in the winter.

The CM told me I was crazy for driving in today and should have worked from home. If it is like this tomorrow, I will.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Our forecast low tomorrow morning is 24°F with wind chill as low as 14°F. :-c
Would somebody tell old man winter this is Florida?