• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

otterpop

Cyburbian
Got our first real snow today. True to tradition, it will be cold for Halloween. Seems to happen every year. So I guess the Little Berserker will be trick-or-treating at the mall and college dorm. And I am sure lots of hot cocoa will be needed when we get home.

OT: the neighborhood deer kicked the crap out of our jack o' lantern and ate it.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
EEEEWWWWW, go jump in the pool and have a margarita (or something to make you nice ;) )!!!
Pool is too cold (75 degrees). Now my feelings a hurt. I'm off to the bank and then the liquor store.

cololi

Cyburbian
A week ago a drove through a sunny and dry Utah (hear that, Cololi?;) ) into a wintery and snow-logged Colorado ;)
In fact, I made it over Vail Pass on Interstate 70 before it closed.

But if any Texans read this, all the snow went to Utah. Please take your winter ski vacation there. ;)

Just remember that I was able to ski 2 feet of new snow in September this year. What were you doing on the 29th of September? We are a little bit drier than normal, but we managed to get a very early morning trip up at Alta last Thursday. So, 2 days down this year so far. (long range charts indicate winter will be here next week)

And Texans don't come to Utah, we don't have real beer.

zman

Cyburbian
And Texans don't come to Utah, we don't have real beer.

Dammit. Send them to Oregon then... ;)

Actually, I saw a photo from the BYU game and there seems to be a fair amount of snow in Provo.

Anyways, good snow here but still only a light dusting at my place (A.K.A. the rain shadow of the rainshadow).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A tornado hit just after 6 last evening in the southeast part of our county and the north part of an adjacent county. A number of homes damaged or destroyed, as well as several apartment complexes. We'll have to send someone out this morning to assess damage to our trail which was in the path.

Everyone affected said they were so surprised. Why don't these people have weather alert radios? I heard about the storm and its path at least 15 minutes before it hit, thanks to my alert radio.

Richmond Jake

Our region is under a tornado watch until 9:00 pm and severe thunderstorms west of us are heading our way. It's going to be nasty here the next few hours.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
^^ It's coming this way, but good thing, it's breaking up a bit. Tornadoes, flooding, etc that have been a factor in your area and west of you, should not be that bad here.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Brrr.... in the '30's tonight, and frost, in central Florida. I'm in my sweatpants, big flannel shirt, and slippers from RJ's mom. Better go throw another blanket over the kid. I don't have to turn the heat up so high this year, since our bird expired this year.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The next week will be brutal... highs around -2F with a windchill of -24F. :(

It's too early yet... I can't take four or five more months of this! On the upside, my mom and dad were mouthing off the last time they were here for Christmas about how it wasn't that cold (wasn't below freezing that xmas). They'll be in for a surprise this time! ;)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Report From NW Ohio/SE Michigan

The usual interesting weather here in NW OH and SE MI, on this Saturday after Thanksgiving, 2006.....

"If you don't like the weather here.....stick around.....it will change in a few minutes."

Yes, the trials and tribulations of forecasting weather in the Great Lakes. So many influences on day-to-day weather. One thing you can count on.....clouds. The Great Lakes areas are notoriously-cloudy during the Autumn and Winter.

Yesterday we had some serious ice fog, creating horrible driving conditions. Not so bad this morning. And we expect to get up to 60-degrees F today and tomorrow. :)

Time to get out in the yard and change the arrangement of the multiple cars and trucks on blocks, add to the already 14-foot high pile of rubble, feed the pet pigs and donkeys, make sure the anti-Stan trip wire is "set", and continue to build the NASCAR memorial by using the Bud Lite bottles and cans. :-c ;-) ;-)

The forecast for later in the week? Highs in the low 30F range with snow. This place will soon feel like Orlando. ;)

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The forecast for later in the week? Highs in the low 30F range with snow. This place will soon feel like Orlando. ;)

Bear

Haha, Bear, we're almost back to normal. Going to have a high of 75 d. today! :-D If the wind dies down, I might even get in a little tanning this weekend!

zman

Cyburbian
Snowy and frozen landscape here on the high plains of Colorado. Nice and cold this morning as I filled the tank of the Fiance's car. My drive into work brought a beautiful white landscape. Sunny and clear in some spots, a patch of very dense fog in others. It was a good morning.

-4 degrees when I left the house, a high temp of around 18 today!:)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I love the Weather in Michigan... as of an hour ago, Ironwood Michigan was at 7 degrees, and Detroit was at 57.

It was in the high 60’s here yesterday, and has been raining almost non-stop as the temperature continues to drop like a rock. To make matters interesting for tomorrows commute, all this rain will turn to freezing rain, then to snow. They are saying that we could get a foot of accumulation by early to mid afternoon tomorrow.

As if that was not good enough, my mom and sister are on their way down from the UP to go dress shopping this weekend with the Fiancée. But most of the weather issues won’t be an issue until mid way through the Lower Peninsula.

Only silver lining of this storm is that the ground is not frozen, so the freezing rain will melt after it hits the ground and soak in before it re-freezes. By the time it gets cold enough the snow will have started.

I am always amazed by the thermodynamic properties of Michigan.

boiker

Cyburbian
In the last two days, we've already recorded over 2 inches of rain in Peoria. We had about 1/4 of ice this morning. And we are expecting 10-14 inches of snow by noon Friday.

And to think.. it was 65 or warmer here for the previous 6 days.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
It was 70 when I left the office yesterday, dropped to around 64 in the early evening. As I went to pick up the ex (about 7 mile east) the temp went back up to 73 degrees, as I pulled back into St. Charles the temp had already dropped to 60 (this is an 8 mile span) and by 9:00 p.m. we were in the low 40's...rain thismorning, turning to ice as I came into the office, expecting 4-8 inches of snow by tommorrow morning...kids are excited, I am NOT excited about the drive home. People in STL don't see snow THAT much and traffice turns into a NIGHTMARE when there is even an inch on the ground.
People around here act like they are going to be snowed in for a friggin month. They stock up on milk, bread, etc...heeelllloooo you live in the suburbs, there are grocery stores and convenience stores on every friggin corner! I am starting to think the weatherman and the local groceries have some marketing scheme going!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hah...I have an ortho appt at 3pm this afternoon, so I get to leave work at 2pm and hopefully miss the snow/evening commute mix.:-c :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Looks like Jax' snow is going to stay to the north and west of us. They are forecasting the possibility for severe storms about 7-8pm, then the arrival of the cold front and perhaps a few flurries.

There has been a run on the markets for bread, milk and etc, however.:-x

zman

Cyburbian
Oh yeah, those in Kansas and Missour-a, it is a neat storm that is heading your way. But it is cold....

Hceux

Cyburbian
Rain rain, go away. Come again another day.

Man, here's the end of November, the second straight months of too much rain.

Has Central Canada become a new England or what? I suppose I should be happy that it's not snowy as I'm having to do a lot of driving these days.

Is it possible that all this rain is having a negative impact on people? People seem much more grouchy, touchy, and icky today and on other dark rainy days.

Richmond Jake

I'll be sleeping with the windows open tonight for the third night in a row. Sweet. :-D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was pretty nice today in NJ at 69F and no rain. The rain is supposed to come tomorrow and then the temp is going to dip down to the 40's over the weekend and stay down all next week. God, I miss SC.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Fun trip into work this morning. 70 miles took an hour and a half because of the ½ to 1 ½ inches of ice and freezing rain. Not a bad time! I just wish it was all snow. An 1 ½ of freezing rain would be about a foot of dry snow!

boiker

Cyburbian
What drive to work?

We ended up with 1/2 inch of freezing rain and sleet last night and have 11 inches on the ground as I type. I can't see the houses across the street and we're expecting upto an additional 6 inches.

Therefore, work and my meeting have been cacelled.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What drive to work?

We ended up with 1/2 inch of freezing rain and sleet last night and have 11 inches on the ground as I type. I can't see the houses across the street and we're expecting upto an additional 6 inches.

Therefore, work and my meeting have been cacelled.

Work Canceled? What the...

Our city offices have not closed in almost 30 years!

I just got a call from my dad, and my sister and mom are planning on driving down from the UP to for dress shopping with the Fiancée tomorrow. So, anyone along 131 to the bridge, please pipe in often with updates on road conditions.

Thank you!

zman

Cyburbian
I just got a call from my dad, and my sister and mom are planning on driving down from the UP to for dress shopping with the Fiancée tomorrow. So, anyone along 131 to the bridge, please pipe in often with updates on road conditions.

Thank you!

There's a 4 foot long frozen and dead northern pike in the left lane around mile marker 68. :r:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Commuter trains and rapid transit trains are a blessing.:-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Orlando may set a record high temp for Dec 1, with expected highs between 84 and 86 d. today. :) Should be great weather for a theme park visit tomorrow, too. hehehehe.......;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
When office windows aren't such a plus: I have a steady 40 mph wind, due west, blowing against the large windows behind me. Drafty old things are literally humming from air infiltration. While I can live uncomfortably with that, what I don't care for is the lingering fear that the wind might very well push one of them over on me.8-!

Otherwise, we are supposed to have some snow showers but little or no accumulation. Then unseasonably cold through the next few days.

I want snow dangnabbit.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
I'm with Boiker! About a foot of snow on top of 2-4 inches of ice, no work for us today :):) AND we got sent home yesterday at 1:00 :) 2.5 day week for me...all is good!
The boys are outside playing the snow, mom is making them breakfast and hot chocolate!! fun, fun, fun...
I am taking them to Art Hill at Forest Park this evening for some fun sleding (yea, yea those of you that live in the mountains, I know they aren't mountains but the kids love Missouri hills just the same :)

Richmond Jake

Orlando may set a record high temp for Dec 1, with expected highs between 84 and 86 d. today. :) Should be great weather for a theme park visit tomorrow, too. hehehehe.......;)
Great! So it's t-shirt and shorts weather tomorrow....I'll pack accordingly. :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sent home from work? Too much snow and ice?

Wuss butts... ;)

I agree.

Society has gotten soft when it comes to Ice and Snow. Maister and I were talking about how silly it is that every school in the area is closed because of this storm. When I was a kid, growing up in one of the snowiest parts of the country, we would close school if we had several feet of snow during lunch. Beyond that, we had to walk in blizzard like conditions, up hill both ways, with packs of wolves chasing us.

boiker

Cyburbian
Work Canceled? What the...

Our city offices have not closed in almost 30 years!

First time our offices closed in over 30 years. When it snows at the rate of 3-4 inches per hour during the morning commute and plows couldn't get down the streets. THey had no choice. THe city, public and private, is virtually shut down today.

Also speaking on us being weak now. I'm thinking it's not being weak as much as it is that we've devoted so much of our lives to cars that we can't possibly get anywhere without them. When the streets are paralyzed and it's a 3 mile walk to work in 13 inches of snow... you stay home.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Boiker, do you know if you will be paid? It is a tough decision to tell the citizens they will pay for hunderds of employees' snow day.

It was a crazy snow, though. 8" in the Quad Cities. Muscatine, IA got none.

zman

Cyburbian
I agree.

Society has gotten soft when it comes to Ice and Snow. Maister and I were talking about how silly it is that every school in the area is closed because of this storm. When I was a kid, growing up in one of the snowiest parts of the country, we would close school if we had several feet of snow during lunch. Beyond that, we had to walk in blizzard like conditions, up hill both ways, with packs of wolves chasing us.

Yeah, schools in Colorado never close, public schools that is. It is a very rare occasion that we'd have school closed.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Schools in NW Ohio and SE Michigan are more likely to close because of fog conditions, most often in spring and fall. A few snow days happen.....and the folks do the same grocery aisle dance, sprinting for the milk and bread, etc. That boogie takes place even with just a 4-inch snowfall prediction.

Friday's cold front and inclement weather gave our area a ton of rain, followed by a lot of strong wind. Many of the farm fields.....now barren except for the short corn stalks because the field corn harvest is just finishing.....were flooded. NW Ohio is so dang flat and many fields have drainage tiles that slowly empty the water from the big rains......slowly into roadside ditches that fill quickly, reaching road level when the rainfall is heavy, and draining into the creeks and small streams slowly.

On my drive home yesterday those flooded fields actually had whitecaps.....those waves were impressive (for a flooded field). High winds knocked out power in some areas, some basements flooded, numerous flood warnings are posted for all the usual areas. But.....no snow. We were on the warmer side of the moisture pattern associated with the front.

We may get some snow flurries today. Our temps for the next week or so are going to be in the 32F high temp range.....what a dif when matched against earlier week numbers near 70F.

There will be no garage painting for this Bear, this week. :-D

Bear

Richmond Jake

It was about 85 degrees F today at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I have some wonderful pictures of ZG and a couple of Disney characters. No, can't post them.

Is it still cold and snowing up north? Are the utilities back on? Have ya'll had your cars towed out the ditches they slid into yesterday? Are the airports open yet? :-D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had 11" of snow Friday, and winds gusting over 35 mph. Cardinal and I returned from Iowa about 3-4 hours before the blizzard warning went into effect. Nice timing indeed.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
All these snow posts probably should make me feel guilty that RJ and I sat on my patio today for a couple hours of sun, with margaritas.

But, I don't think so! :)