• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Winter Storm Warnings!

Granted this are not for the County that I live in, but they are for the County that I work in. Given the conditions over the past couple of days and my commute distance. I am leaving early today and working from home tomorrow. Odds are my oldest won't have school tomorrow either.

On and the temp is 1 degree... (2 if you measure it at the airport). Windchill is about -20 right now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Was -7 on the drive in this a.m. The temp has since soared to 1. I just got back in from doing some sidewalk enforcement. I don't know what the wind chill is but maybe they'll tell me after I have the skin grafts needed to repair my face from the frostbite....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My fingers "die" in this weather: you can literally see that there is reduced blood flow to the last 2/3 of my fingers.:-o

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My fingers "die" in this weather: you can literally see that there is reduced blood flow to the last 2/3 of my fingers.:-o

I exaggerate when I say 'frostbite' but the cold is real and folks still get frostbite all the time. When Mskis was my partner in crime, we used to have to crank the car heater way up in the winter because he'd had frostbite when he was younger and needed to be extra careful about having his hands exposed to cold temps.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
-1 this morning coming to work and probably about 5 right now.

It be cold up in heya!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Was -7 on the drive in this a.m. The temp has since soared to 1. I just got back in from doing some sidewalk enforcement. I don't know what the wind chill is but maybe they'll tell me after I have the skin grafts needed to repair my face from the frostbite....

I think I may need to apologize for that one.

When I worked with Maister, being the tough Yooper, I would get all bundled up, and walk the mile up and down the street (each way) after we received a complaint. The boss lady thought that was awesome, and had the same expectations of Stan and Ms. Cash. Now the community I work for does not do sidewalk enforcement because we clear the sidewalks in downtown.

On a more pressing note, I am glad that I got home. It looks like a snowstorm is about to swallow the Lake Michigan Shore Line. This would be a b*$#h to drive home in. Right now, the temp is 1 with a windchill of -18 (F).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And much of West Michigan is shut down. Most of the major school systems closed last night before I even went to bed, and my wife took the suburban to work. While we only have 6 inches of new snow, the snowdrifts in my driveway are about 2 feet high.

At least it warmed up a little, but it will be cooling down again tonight.

kms

Cyburbian
Last night's forecast warned of freezing rain overnight that would affect this morning's commute. Fortunately, road crews pre-treated roads and the temps are warm enough that the drive to work was on wet roads.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's warmed up considerably. Like it's maybe 30-ish this a.m.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
- 9 this morning with a wind chill of -18.

In my view if we're going to have extreme cold temps at least let's not have any of that wind blowing crap.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was -13 when I got up this morning with a windchill of -25. We let both vehicles warm up for 30 minutes before we left the house.

The weather people say it might hit 40 on Saturday.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Awaiting snowmaggedon / snowpocalype. I hope my frozen remains are valuable, or at least amusing, to the archaeologists of the future.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We got about 3-4 inches of light dry snow last night here n NE OH and it was pretty. I also got my 30 minutes of cardio this morning before work shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. :D

And it's in the mid-20s as well. Nice winter so far for us.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Awaiting snowmaggedon / snowpocalype. I hope my frozen remains are valuable, or at least amusing, to the archaeologists of the future.

I hear that it is so bad, that people in the UP of Michigan are saying "Better you than us".

I think this brings up an interesting weather and planning discussion regarding density and snowstorms. Many places on the east cost have limited to no off street parking for the average person and snow storms cause quite a problem when it comes to snow removal. In the UP, there is no overnight parking on the streets during the winter, and here in GR, we have an odd/even thing depending on the day of the month.

Many of the cities on the east coast that are concentrations of row houses don't have that luxury.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I hear that it is so bad, that people in the UP of Michigan are saying "Better you than us".

I think this brings up an interesting weather and planning discussion regarding density and snowstorms. Many places on the east cost have limited to no off street parking for the average person and snow storms cause quite a problem when it comes to snow removal. In the UP, there is no overnight parking on the streets during the winter, and here in GR, we have an odd/even thing depending on the day of the month.

Many of the cities on the east coast that are concentrations of row houses don't have that luxury.

I was wondering earlier about density and snow as well, but more about how density actually affects the snow. Specifically - in lower Manhattan with all of the large skyscrapers I wonder if there is a wind tunnel effect between the buildings and if there are larger problems with drifts or anything like that. We've all heard about urban heat islands, but is there a reverse phenomenon for snow?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was wondering earlier about density and snow as well, but more about how density actually affects the snow. Specifically - in lower Manhattan with all of the large skyscrapers I wonder if there is a wind tunnel effect between the buildings and if there are larger problems with drifts or anything like that. We've all heard about urban heat islands, but is there a reverse phenomenon for snow?

OOOOOH, sounds like a master's or doctoral thesis project to me.

This is something that I have been wondering for a while. Some say that the urban heat model results in pushing Tornados away from dense urban centers, but can increase risk in suburban areas. I wonder if snow is more dense (water filled) in urban areas since there is more heat being dissipated by the buildings. Drifts get real bad in wide open areas, that is why people put up snow fences along roads in rural areas.

It sounds like NYC is only going to get a small portion of the snow they expected to get.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I'm not so sure that urban centers affect snow that much...other than maybe how it gets distributed (i.e. the wind tunnel effect and melting patterns). Boston is pretty dense and they still got 2 feet of snow. New York didn't get that much, but that was just because the storm stayed more to the east. New York has gotten walloped plenty of times before.

Also, with all of Chicago's major blizzards (1967, 1979, 1999, 2011), it's interesting to note that the city always got more (20"+) while the suburbs got less due to lake-enhanced snow. However, with some of the smaller storms and clipper systems, it seems like the suburbs tend to pick up more than the city depending on how the storms track.

I think the "tornadoes don't strike urban areas" thing is also a myth. I know Joplin and Tuscaloosa aren't as major as Dallas or Chicago, but they are fairly sizable cities that have seen destructive F5 tornadoes recently (in 2011). Moore and Oklahoma City are also notable examples, having gotten hit in 2013 and 1999. While the tornadoes were weaker, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and St. Louis have all gotten hit recently as well. Thankfully, our densest urban centers take up far less land area than suburban and rural land, so the odds of such a place getting hit are far less. But really, it's only a matter of time before a large city gets hit really bad.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We had ice and they closed all the schools between my house and my work (about 45 miles)... now it is snowing:

[youtube]dhnVr0mj8Ko[/youtube]

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had about 15" of snow at my house Sunday. It was sort of unexpected.

As of Thursday, we knew we were in for a couple inches of snow but the brunt of the storm was set for the very southern part of Michigan and northern Ohio. Well, everyday they kept revising the forecast and by Saturday afternoon, the weather folks were saying we'd get between 6" and 9". I went for a walk at 5:30 a.m. Sunday and it had just begun snowing. By 10:00 a.m. we had gotten maybe 2" and by 5:00 p.m. we had probably already gotten close to 10". I woke up this morning to shovel and we had gotten another 5" or 6" after that.

I went up on to the roof to clear snow away from the un-insulated overhang on the garage and was doing snow angels up there this morning.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We got about 16-17 inches or so in the great Super Bowl Sunday Blizzard of 2015. Chicago picked up about 19-20 inches and O'Hare officially recorded 19.3 inches, making it the fifth snowiest snowstorm on record, after 1967, 1999, 2011, and 1979. Some more lake effect snow fell this morning, so the final totals may increase by just a hair.

I knew we were gonna get a lot of snow (like 10-12 inches), but I never thought this would end up being one of the big ones until the storm unfolded yesterday.

Almost all of the schools are closed today. I'm working today though.

Roads are a little tricky in spots, but crews have been pretty good keeping up. It looks so pretty since the first 6 inches of snow was heavy wet snow that is caked everywhere, followed by several inches of light fluffy snow. Of course this is also bad for driving since you have a layer of compacted snow and ice on the roads, combined with light fluffy snow that blows and drifts easily.

It's funny how I thought this was going to be a dud of a winter as far as snowfall goes. All it takes is one big storm like this to skew a winter in the complete opposite direction.

Planit

Cyburbian
Rained like crazy overnight but has now cleared up. Although now we have 20 mph winds with gusts to 40.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Might be hard to fathom, but apparently this is the first time since 1908 that Chicago and Detroit both got over 12 inches of snow from the same system, and the first time EVER that both cities got over 13 inches of snow from the same system.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
7 inches of snow hanging around plus a 2-3 inches more snow which is now glazed with about a half inch of ice. It hasn't been above freezing in two weeks. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 40 but more snow forecasted for Thursday, Sunday, and Monday.

Snow days on Monday, Tuesday last week and Monday this week. Maybe we'll get a threepeat next Monday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Single digits this morning.

This winter is nothing like last year's in terms of severity, but I'm starting to get tired of it all the same.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am not looking forward to this weekend.

Weatherman Bill said:
The overnight run of the European model gives G.R. a low temp. of -24 Monday AM and -17 Sunday AM. Also -6 Fri. AM, -2 next Weds. AM and -3 next Thurs. AM. The -24 on Monday would tie the all-time coldest temp. EVER in G.R. which occurred on Feb. 13-14, 1899!!
LINK

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Single digits this morning.

This winter is nothing like last year's in terms of severity, but I'm starting to get tired of it all the same.

January actually had a colder average daily temp this year than it did last year, at least on this side of the state. Now snow on the other hand has been a different matter all together. Besides our massive snow storm on Feb 1st, we've actually been pretty dry this season, especially compared to our nearly 100" of snow last year.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh look, the only precipitation in the Continental US is in over Michigan...

us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

It is hard to see across the harbor because of the wind and snow. :-@ And I have a 45 mile commute home.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
FORECAST -

Winter Storm Warning in effect from February 15, 06:00 PM CST until February 16, 06:00 PM CST

Tonight - Snow, mainly after 7pm. Low around 16. East northeast wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Washington's Birthday - Snow. High near 28. East northeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Currently it's 1 degrees. Nothing close to a thaw predicted in the 10 day forecast. I wish winter would end.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Single digits this morning. Again. It's times like this where it's important to remind oneself that one must experience lows to truly appreciate the highs.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was -9º (with windchill around -25º!!!) on Sunday morning, -12º (with no windchill) yesterday, and -2º (with a windchill of -10) this morning. Sunday morning I went for a 6 mile walk, yesterday I went for an 8 mile run, and today I went for a 2 mile walk. I sort of enjoy getting all bundled up and being out there but I am definitely ready for Florida.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Single digits this morning. Again. It's times like this where it's important to remind oneself that one must experience lows to truly appreciate the highs.

Screw that. :-{

Our programmable thermostat lowers the heat 10 degrees at night for the first floor. I forgot to adjust it to hold them temp on Saturday night. It did not warm all the way back up until 6:30 PM on Sunday. It got down to -10 at my house and wind chills were -25. Thursday the predicted low is -11.

If you look at some of the 15 day forecasts (I fear they are wrong... but it is nice to dream)... above freezing temps to start out the month of March.

On a side note, I feel bad for Tide and the rest of the southerners as they are not accustomed to this kind of weather.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
My parents live in the Upstate of SC and are expecting lows both Thursday AM and Friday AM near zero with highs on Thursday and Friday only in the low 20's. To put that in perspective, the all-time low temperature in Greenville is -6 and the lowest high temperature ever is 19.

Here in Texas we had about 10 minutes of sleet this morning. Yesterday when the cold front came through the temperature dropped 20 degrees in one hour. It was 69 at 10:30 AM and by 11:30 it was 49. Now it is in the upper 40's and will be in the 60's tomorrow, gotta love that crazy Texas weather...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I am happy I am not in Marquette any more. The lead the nation with almost 140 inches of snow this season. (LINK)

On the other hand, for a while this morning we were getting 4 inches an hour here on the lake shore. I talked to my wife and it was sunny at the my house about 30 miles inland.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Detailed Forecast

This Afternoon - A slight chance of snow showers before 5pm, then a chance for flurries. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -8. West northwest wind 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tonight - Mostly clear, with a low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -24. West northwest wind 7 to 13 mph.
Thursday - Sunny and cold, with a high near 8. Wind chill values as low as -22. West northwest wind 6 to 8 mph.
Thursday Night - Increasing clouds, with a low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Blue emphasis is my own.