• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Temp: -8
Windchill: -18

Wind gusts of 30 mph.

I had a hard time scraping my car off at my house this morning. My hand hurt in my gloves for the roughly 3 minutes I was outside. This is stupid.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's a relative heatwave right now with a temp of +1º... but the windchill puts it at -18º. That's pretty darn cold for here for this time of day. I'm supposed to go for a run early tomorrow morning. The forecast is for a temp of -12º with a windchill of -32º. When I was driving into work this morning they were giving the forecast on the radio and on Maister and Michaelskis' side of the state the windchill warning for tonight/tomorrow morning was between -40º and -50º. 8-!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The temperature soared up to 30 on Saturday but is back down into the negatives this morning.:(

AG74683

Cyburbian
A little ways out, but they are calling for 3"-5" of snow here Wednesday, with some reports closer to the 5" to 8" mark. That will likely shut us down until Monday at the earliest.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thanks to Metro Detroit becoming a frozen tundra, I now have a frozen drain in the floor of my garage. The only water that goes into it is what drains from the sink in the garage and the humidifier so it's really not that much, but man did it make a mess! What are the odds of my snake being able to make it through there? :r:

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Taking a respite from the cold in San Francisco. 60s here and all week. They seem to have very little variation in their weather.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Another day where it's 6 out. This winter may not have had the mountains of snow we had last year, but it certainly has the relentless cold.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Another day where it's 6 out. This winter may not have had the mountains of snow we had last year, but it certainly has the relentless cold.

There are mountains of snow out at the lake shore. Last week I had white out conditions every day during my commute.

The ice cover on the Great Lakes is greater than it was last year and for us, it does not get above freezing for the next 10 days with 5 of those days having lows in the single or negative digits. Right now the wind chill is -9 and the actual low temp on Thursday is foretasted to be -8.

I am not having fun... :-@

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Another day with single digit temps. It got up to the upper 20's the other day, and I must confess that it felt like a welcome relief. There's a chance it may even get ABOVE freezing for one day (Tues) next week!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yep... quite sure this winter will never end. :-@

I just checked the 10 day forecast and it looks like we shall be delivered from our misery starting this coming weekend!!!!!! 6 straight days with highs above freezing!!!!! Yay!!!!

kms

Cyburbian
Winter storm Thor

I made it about 1/3 of the distance to work, turned around and headed back home. The roads are treacherous here.

Hope our Kentucky friende are safe.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My cousin who lives McKinney, TX posted a photo of the 5+ inches of snow they got last night. I laugh because she is from a Detroit suburb.

It was cold this morning, it is going to be cold tomorrow morning, then the long term forecast actually has highs above freezing. I gave up shoveling my driveway about 3 weeks ago. I still clear the sidewalk and steps, but this winter is just getting stupid.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was cold this morning, it is going to be cold tomorrow morning, then the long term forecast actually has highs above freezing. I gave up shoveling my driveway about 3 weeks ago. I still clear the sidewalk and steps, but this winter is just getting stupid.

We didn't get the excessive snow like last winter but we got the same super cold temps with no break for weeks on end. It looks like a major thaw is headed our way. Old Man Winter appears to be winding down but is not quite out of it and I expect we'll get at least one more sucker punch snow or super cold blast in late March or early April.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We didn't get the excessive snow like last winter but we got the same super cold temps with no break for weeks on end. It looks like a major thaw is headed our way. Old Man Winter appears to be winding down but is not quite out of it and I expect we'll get at least one more sucker punch snow or super cold blast in late March or early April.

I pray that your wrong, but given that its Michigan, I am sure your prediction will be accurate.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Rain, rain go away . . .

I spent 8 hours on the road yesterday - and all of it was raining, sprinkling enough for wipers, or foggy/mist. Then last night a rain band came across central TX and it's been steady all morning, with 100% chance of it continuing all day. While I know we need the water, I'm tired of the cold, wet, dreary weather.*

*I know it's not as cold/way below freezing as our northern Cybs have experienced, but my southern blood is thin. Two weeks of temps in the 30's is way too much for me.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Rain, rain go away . . .

I spent 8 hours on the road yesterday - and all of it was raining, sprinkling enough for wipers, or foggy/mist. Then last night a rain band came across central TX and it's been steady all morning, with 100% chance of it continuing all day. While I know we need the water, I'm tired of the cold, wet, dreary weather.*

*I know it's not as cold/way below freezing as our northern Cybs have experienced, but my southern blood is thin. Two weeks of temps in the 30's is way too much for me.

It's rains in TX, who knew?:lmao:;)

The One

Cyburbian
Uggh

83 degrees here.....yet again.......and the worst part.....I have to put a tie on for my Commission meeting photograph:-c:(

{snicker}

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's 35 right now and it looks like highs above freezing every day for the next 10 in the forecast......I still can't shake the feeling that Old Man Winter may have one last jab left in him.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
It's 35 right now and it looks like highs above freezing every day for the next 10 in the forecast......I still can't shake the feeling that Old Man Winter may have one last jab left in him.

And he does/did. Snowing pretty heavily out there at the moment. Should warm right back up though in the next few days.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope we have seen the last of winter around here. Everyone is tired of the constant freezing temps, snow, and ice. We had 4" of snow on Friday...basically Mother Nature's FU to the first day of spring. It's still been pretty cold, but at least there's nothing coming down from the sky. Have at least a good month and a half to go before we're out of frost danger and I can start digging in the dirt.

kms

Cyburbian
We're into rollercoaster weather. Snow tonight, 60 tomorrow and Wednesday, then back into 30's and 40's. I want to take some of the coats out of my car, wash them and put them away. Not yet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have things I need to do outside, but the temps need to be above 40. Does not look good for the next two weeks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got a dusting of snow yesterday that still hasn't melted.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Got a dusting of snow yesterday that still hasn't melted.

Snow? We didn't get anything up here. I walked to pick up Miniskis from school with his younger brothers in the wagon.

I have some transplanting that I want to do before it warms up and the plants break dormancy.

For our area, the old farmers almanac says "March 25-31, Snow, then a few showers, cool. April 1-5, Sunny, warm then cool." March was anticipated to be 5 degrees colder than normal, while April is expected to be 5 degrees above normal. Let's see how true this holds.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We reached 80°F today. Currently 74°F. Sleeping with windows open is nice.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I was just on vacation in the Florida panhandle, coastal Alabama, and New Orleans, where it was in the 70s and 80s. :h: Then I come back home to Chicagoland where it was 25 with snow flurries on the way in to work this morning.:r: Luckily I missed out on the 5 inches of snow they got earlier in the week. I miss my view of the Gulf. :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
severe weather chart.jpg

Bubba

Cyburbian
Low 80s this afternoon here in the ATL - I'd have all the windows open if we weren't also in the middle of pine pollen season. :-@

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We had a nice storm here early this morning. I was surprised that it did not wake up the kids. However the weather pundits are calling for warm weather and storms the next few days. If we have warm air and rain, the soil temps are going to get above 50 degrees and it will be an explosion of buds, flowers, and spring will be here!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Some thunder and a little rain last night. It's supposed to get warm today. Calling for a high of 58!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The weather was pretty wicked yesterday. Luckily, some storms that moved through in the earlier afternoon hours stabilized the atmosphere for much of the Chicago area. However, areas just to our west were not as lucky. The small town of Fairdale, IL was pretty much wiped off the map by a powerful tornado and other areas out by Rochelle, IL saw some damage as well. 1 person has been killed and 7 injured and I think crews our still searching. Hopefully we will not hear of any more fatalities. The area is not far from DeKalb and NIU. As such, I've been through Fairdale several times and I think put some campaign signs out there when I was involved in politics back in college. When I was in middle school, I also played a basketball game or two out in the nearby town of Kirkland, which narrowly escaped destruction. Whereas Fairdale only has 150 people, Kirkland has over 1,700 and it would have been a lot worse had it tracked directly through there instead. Kirkland still saw some damage, but not the devastation seen in Fairdale. Also, the storms managed to just miss the far northwest suburbs of Chicago as well. I think the same tornado tracked into McHenry County, but managed to go through the open areas and avoid major towns like Marengo, Harvard, and Woodstock. My brother lives up that way and with the sirens going off, he and his family were taking cover in the basement. But luckily they are alright.

After the storms came through, the winds were howling last night. The weather has cleared up today and it looks to be a pretty nice weekend. Sunshine and 60s.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mother Nature is drunk again... during the storm last night, some northern parts of Michigan's Lower Peninsula hit 80 degrees in the middle of the night for about an hour, while the northern section of the Upper Peninsula got a snow storm.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Mother Nature is drunk again... during the storm last night, some northern parts of Michigan's Lower Peninsula hit 80 degrees in the middle of the night for about an hour, while the northern section of the Upper Peninsula got a snow storm.

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. today to go running and it was nearly 70º outside on this side of the state but the winds were howling with gusts up above 35mph. I decided to go for the run anyway though because I knew it was supposed to cool down throughout the day and by the time I got to my office just before 9:00 a.m. it was down to about 40º.

Last Tuesday morning some of the northern suburbs got 6" of snow in the morning, the following day it was in the upper 60s. I couldn't tell you if our neighborhood had any snow though because when I woke up Tuesday morning it was 72º and sunny... in southern Florida.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was sunny and in the 60s this past weekend. We got a ton of painting done in the house including the upper gables. It was a long inter and now I am paying another price... my arms and neck got sunburned.

Looks like nice weather for next weekend too!