• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The September cooling trend has already begun. You can tell fall will be here quite soon as the cool days are starting to outnumber the warm days. It's possible we might still get a few more days in the 80's but those will be the exception and not the rule from here on out.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Since the heavy downpours last Friday (the 18th), it has been absolutely gorgeous and is forecast to remain that way for the rest of September.

Highs in the 70s, sunshine, lows in the 50s...everyday. I can live with this! :h:

And this is why I say that Fall is the best time of year around here.

Planit

Cyburbian
Rain started Friday and kept going all weekend. It washed out both soccer matches, golf and mowing the lawn. A friend of ours went to the ECU v VaTech game Saturday and said he left at halftime. It wasn't the rain so much, it was the wind that made so bad, blowing hard enough the light poles swayed.

We received about 4" in the rain gauge on our deck. Saturday we were grilling with 2 other couples. We were watching the Gator game (by the way, Tennessee color is orange and they are singing the blues again! - get it - orange & blue - Gator colors) and were going to put the pork chops on the grill when the other couple arrived. We heard a big THUD and the power went out. A tree in the woods across the street fell and took out the power lines & completely blocked the road. Street light debris, transformer bits, a broken utility pole, and five different cables lay on the ground. We don't live on a cul-de-sac by the way.

Phones calls made & fire dept showed up. We called the other couple (they had gone to pick up their daughter from a friends house) to let them know. They told us to check their house which was about 5 blocks away to see if they had power. They did so we collected all of the food - cooked, partially cooked and un cooked - and carted it over there. Unfortunately they had no cable, but so what. We were grilling out, in the rain with a big deck umbrella over the grill.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rain started Friday and kept going all weekend. It washed out both soccer matches, golf and mowing the lawn. A friend of ours went to the ECU v VaTech game Saturday and said he left at halftime. It wasn't the rain so much, it was the wind that made so bad, blowing hard enough the light poles swayed.

We received about 4" in the rain gauge on our deck. Saturday we were grilling with 2 other couples. We were watching the Gator game (by the way, Tennessee color is orange and they are singing the blues again! - get it - orange & blue - Gator colors) and were going to put the pork chops on the grill when the other couple arrived. We heard a big THUD and the power went out. A tree in the woods across the street fell and took out the power lines & completely blocked the road. Street light debris, transformer bits, a broken utility pole, and five different cables lay on the ground. We don't live on a cul-de-sac by the way.

Phones calls made & fire dept showed up. We called the other couple (they had gone to pick up their daughter from a friends house) to let them know. They told us to check their house which was about 5 blocks away to see if they had power. They did so we collected all of the food - cooked, partially cooked and un cooked - and carted it over there. Unfortunately they had no cable, but so what. We were grilling out, in the rain with a big deck umbrella over the grill.

Inconvenient as heck, but makes for a great story later on.

The One

Cyburbian
HEY!

Where the HELL is El Nino??? I can't stand this perfect weather and 90 degree days much longer.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Looks like we will not get the winds from Hurricane Joaquin, but we will get the rain. We have already had 6 days of rain and they (the weather pundants) are calling for 5 to 6 inches of rain on Friday/Saturday in our area.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been in the low 70s the past few days which would normally be perfect but for some reason it's been extremely muggy for this time of year. Today is only supposed to get into the mid 60s but the humidity is gone and the sun is shining and it is infinitely more comfortable outside.

I can tell fall has arrived because the perfect pre-dawn running weather brings out scores of runners in my area. On my normal 6 mile loop this morning I counted 28 other runners and at least a dozen people out for a walk. This was before 6:00 a.m. - at which time I would normally see maybe 5 or 6 other runners (unless I go to the track) back in July or August.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The local weather people are freaking out because as time progresses the cone of uncertainty is moving west and we are now at the very edge of it. I think it is my sign to buy a 12 pack instead of a 6 pack.

On the other hand, there looks like the real possibility of flooding in the area.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The local weather people are freaking out because as time progresses the cone of uncertainty is moving west and we are now at the very edge of it. I think it is my sign to buy a 12 pack instead of a 6 pack.

On the other hand, there looks like the real possibility of flooding in the area.

Congrats, welcome to your first hurricane. It's a rite of passage for transplants. I've been through three now. Just make sure everything thing is charged up, and that you have enough batteries or a generator. Stock up on non perishable food. Do you have a grill? Make sure you have enough water and drinks. You'll learn to ride them out.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Congrats, welcome to your first hurricane. It's a rite of passage for transplants. I've been through three now. Just make sure everything thing is charged up, and that you have enough batteries or a generator. Stock up on non perishable food. Do you have a grill? Make sure you have enough water and drinks. You'll learn to ride them out.

We are in an apartment so we don't have anywhere to put a generator. Our development does have several grills down by the pool that we could use. We have a bunch of juice boxes, I am going to pick up some beverages for me and a bag of ice to keep in the freezer in the event we need it. As for food, we have some fruit, soups, and a bunch of high energy meal replacement bars.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We are in an apartment so we don't have anywhere to put a generator. Our development does have several grills down by the pool that we could use. We have a bunch of juice boxes, I am going to pick up some beverages for me and a bag of ice to keep in the freezer in the event we need it. As for food, we have some fruit, soups, and a bunch of high energy meal replacement bars.

Make sure you stock up on bread, eggs, and milk. Every time there is a hurricane approaching news reports from grocery stores show those aisles as being empty. I've never been able to figure out why people like to feast on french toast when there are big storms, but it must be the thing to do.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Make sure you stock up on bread, eggs, and milk. Every time there is a hurricane approaching news reports from grocery stores show those aisles as being empty. I've never been able to figure out why people like to feast on french toast when there are big storms, but it must be the thing to do.

That is odd, but thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking beer and pretzels would be the go to foods, but hey. Why not. We go with almond milk because we have two kids allergic to pasteurized cow milk.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

A trick you can use is freeze tap water in pop bottles both the 20 oz and the 2 liters. Pick up a bag of charcoal, lighter fluid, and wooden matches. Bagels are a good hurricane food as well as peanut butter and spam. Also look into jugs of water to bathe and flush the toilet. Fill up the sink(s) and bath tub(s). Your wife may be called into work and get stuck there, so make provisions for the kids. Further, you may get called into work since you work in the government.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
m'skis, make sure you have a large water bucket. Sneak down to the pool and scoop water out and use that to flush the toilet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Hurricane, you say? Um, Mskis, aren't you like 120+ miles inland? I believe you'll be spared from the worst of it.

Planit

Cyburbian
We won't be getting a hurricane, but the coast will feel the affects from the onshore winds. The main issues is the rain this weekend. Looks like there is an area from Columbia, SC - through Greenville/Spartanburg, SC - to Hendersonville, NC where the most rain will fall. Our area is predicted for 6-8 inches with 13-15 mph winds and gusts up to 25. Temps staying in the upper 50s.

One thing is for sure, IF they play the ND v Clemson game Saturday in Clemson, its going to be very wet.
In Raleigh, the Wolfpack is playing and it will be wet too, but maybe not as mcuh. Bring your mask & snorkel!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hurricane, you say? Um, Mskis, aren't you like 120+ miles inland? I believe you'll be spared from the worst of it.

Honestly this hurricane doesn't really look all that bad but when I lived in NC we had a stretch one summer and fall with 4 or 5 hurricanes making landfall and it seems that the area where M'Skis is in is more prone to flooding that you would think. The worse areas for flooding seemed to be along the Cape Fear River between Fayettenam and Wilmington and the along the Neuse and Tar Rivers stretching from the eastern Raleigh suburbs out towards the Pamlico Sound. Once you get closer to the beaches, the water seems to drain much better and flooding wasn't as much of a problem as it was further inland. All in all, I don't think he's in for much action out there. The real fun begins when they get their first 1/8th of an inch of snow!

Planit

Cyburbian
South Carolina - especially Charleston, Myrtle Beach area inland to Columbia have gotten drenched. 16 inches of rain in many cases. some of the pictures are astounding.

The hurricane wasn't near, but did pump some moisture into the low pressure system.

A cargo ship has sunk too. Debris field found but 33 lives lost it seems.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's currently 77º. It's currently November 3rd. Those two sentences don't generally go together in the Detroit area.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
November 3, it is 75 degrees, sunny,

and

my windows are open. :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Calling for up to 3" of snow this weekend. As I have mentioned before, we're in mid-November and that's perfectly acceptable. In other words, it has my permission to snow 3" this weekend. That is all.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Where I'm at, we're supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of snow this weekend. It's not out of the question for northern Illinois to get snow in November, but it's a little unusual to get up to a half a foot of snow this early. In November, we usually only get an inch or two.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got upgraded to 3" - 5" of snow this weekend. I guess that's still okay.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Winter Storm Warning for Northern Illinois (including the vast majority of Chicagoland) from tonight through tomorrow. We could see 6-10 inches of snow. I don't recall EVER getting this much snow in November in my lifetime, so this will definitely be one to watch. It was definitely cold yesterday, last night, and today. Certainly feels like snow.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Its unbecoming of a southerner to gloat :D

I spoke to my brother in FLA and its in the high 80s there right now.

That is ok... I have been told that I am not a southerner until I have lived here for a full year, had 3 different types of BBQ, can tell the difference between TN whisky and bourbon, and can pronounce Appalachian correctly.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I have been told that I am not a southerner until I have lived here for a full year...

My wife (born in the UP, moved to western NY soon after) has lived in Georgia for the last 36 years, and I still consider her to be a Yankee. :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My wife (born in the UP, moved to western NY soon after) has lived in Georgia for the last 36 years, and I still consider her to be a Yankee. :p

Where in the UP? I have been told that I am a northerner but not a Yankee since I did not come here from the NE. However I did spend a year in PA...

On a side note, it was in the mid to upper 70's and rainy yesterday, today it is sunny and in the lower 60's. Tomorrow it will only be in the 50's! On the other hand, I feel bad for Maister who will need to shovel his driveway tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tomorrow it will only be in the 50's! On the other hand, I feel bad for Maister who will need to shovel his driveway tomorrow.

Dude, save your gloating until February. Right now snow and the prospect of snow is still charming. Heck, if we get 6" tonight I may go x-country skiing across the street tomorrow.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sawyer AFB - her father was discharged from service a couple of weeks after her birth and moved back to NY.

Wow, I have heard that story before. My uncle was also stationed there, started working for a major airline and moved to CT, and now lives right outside of Atlanta.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Well, we had a doozy of a winter storm here in Northern Illinois Friday night into Saturday. Wound up with about 5 or 6 inches of snow where I'm at in the far western suburbs. O'Hare picked up 11.2 inches, making this the snowiest November snowstorm in 120 years, when 12 inches fell in 1885. Rockford got 8.8 inches, making it that city's 2nd biggest November snowstorm as well. Many locations in the far northern counties along the Wisconsin border, such as Lake and McHenry, picked up as much as 16 or 17 inches, which is pretty incredible.

Last night, it got down into the single digits, with wind chills below zero. Right now it's 20 with a wind chill of 11. By Thanksgiving, it's supposed to be in the 50s with rain.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got maybe 6 inches this weekend. This time last year we had over a foot.
imagejpg1.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got about 10" of snow in our area on Saturday. Every time I looked at the weather report Friday and early Saturday they kept raising the estimate of how much snow we were going to get. Some of the areas a bit further west of us got 17". I'm hoping it all melts this week so I can put out the rest of my Christmas decorations. I wasn't expecting my boxwoods to be covered in snow so early so I didn't put the lights on them yet!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
'Twas a rainy Thanksgiving. Washed away all the snow. Put up the Christmas lights at my mom's house once it dried out a bit on Saturday.

Picked up a couple inches of snow overnight. The snow mostly accumulated on buildings, cars, trees, and the grass. It's very pretty this morning.