• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With 9 inches of rain during the month of November, this is now the wettest year on record here in DFW. And we still have December to go.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Temps are supposed to be near 60º here for the next few days and in the upper 40s through most of next week. I don't think anybody around these parts has even uttered the words "white Christmas" this year because it feels more like late September than early December.

Personally, I think everybody in Metro Detroit can thank me for the mild weather (besides an early snowstorm a few weeks ago of more than a foot of snow, but it wasn't even cold) since this year I paid for a snowplow contract. Had I not, the ground would have been covered weeks ago not to be seen again until the end of March.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Temps are supposed to be near 60º here for the next few days and in the upper 40s through most of next week. I don't think anybody around these parts has even uttered the words "white Christmas" this year because it feels more like late September than early December.

Personally, I think everybody in Metro Detroit can thank me for the mild weather (besides an early snowstorm a few weeks ago of more than a foot of snow, but it wasn't even cold) since this year I paid for a snowplow contract. Had I not, the ground would have been covered weeks ago not to be seen again until the end of March.

The weather people are saying it will be in the low 70's and sunny here on Saturday and Sunday and it does not look like there will be any days where the temps will be below freezing before Christmas. ;)

Otis

Cyburbian
Today

Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 52. Windy, with a south southwest wind 33 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Tonight

Rain. Low around 45. West southwest wind 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was awake at 3:00 am thanks to a crying toddler. It was still 62 degrees. Today it will be scattered rain and in the mid 70's. Long range model has 71 on Christmas day.

Something tells me we will not have a white christmas.

Lowland

Cyburbian
It's 60 degrees here right now, rainy but incredibly pleasant still. It looks like it might be the last 60 we have till spring, we're dipping down into the mid and upper 30s into the weekend. But the extended forecast has us back into the upper 40's peaking at 51 Christmas Eve. Unbelievable for December, but after the last two brutal winters we've had up this way, I'll take it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
70F in NJ yesterday. My gas bill is happy. I hope we don't get hammered in January.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I sort of doubt it. Don't think were going to have much of a winter this year.

Atmospheric scientists predict a warm dry El Nino winter throughout much of North America. Looks like we're on track for a green Christmas.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Brilliant sunshine this morning, up to 70 degrees this afternoon here in the ATL. December, amiright? 8-!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Atmospheric scientists predict a warm dry El Nino winter throughout much of North America. Looks like we're on track for a green Christmas.

Looks like it will be sunny and 75 on Christmas here. We are thinking about going hiking on Christmas.

Otis

Cyburbian
"Winds: wind becoming south then southwest and increasing to 35 to 45 mph. Peak gusts 70 to 80 mph at Headlands and beaches." We are at a headland and beach.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
"Winds: wind becoming south then southwest and increasing to 35 to 45 mph. Peak gusts 70 to 80 mph at Headlands and beaches." We are at a headland and beach.

ZG's son lives in the Kennewick/tri-cities area (atomic town). He's under a wind warning, too. Stay off the bridges.

We are forecast to get bucket loads of rain over the next three days. Temps are forecast to be 78°F with a slight chance of rain on Christmas day here on the panhandle. :santa:

Planit

Cyburbian
They said its supposed to be 76 on Christmas Day here. I'm gonna have to find those shorts again.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The roads are one big sheet of freakin' ice right now. It's supposed to get worse later on today

Lowland

Cyburbian
The roads are one big sheet of freakin' ice right now. It's supposed to get worse later on today

Be safe out there with the commute. Just snow up this way so far, but a fair accumulation. The sleet is supposed to start later in the evening here, then the ice...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I missed my connecting flight at DFW on Sunday due to the severe weather.

Planit

Cyburbian
Shorts & t-shirts with the AC on for Christmas. I told The Girl this was Christmas weather when I grew up with in Florida.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I missed my connecting flight at DFW on Sunday due to the severe weather.

Texas has been crazy this week - it's like it went on a bender and forgot what season. Devastating tornadoes, thunder-snow, flooding, etc. And last week it was in the mid-70s! Insanity.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We had a slushy mix of rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow all day yesterday across the Chicagoland area. I think most of the accumulation was actually sleet.

Today, it's cloudy and back to normal. Could see some light snow again tomorrow morning. After a very mild December, highs will be in the 20s to ring in the New Year.

The Texas weather is crazy. So sad to hear about the devastating tornadoes. I have a friend from college who lives on a horse farm southwest of Fort Worth and her dog and horses seemed very happy to play in the snow (which they don't usually see).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
26 degrees this morning. Three or four inches of snow on the ground. Enough to say it's winter but not much more.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
OMG.... It is F-ing SNOWING outside. I already counted 10 flakes! :-c It is the end of the south, get Al Gore on the phone, load up on bread and milk!

*I have seen more snow than this in July when I was in Michigan.

AG74683

Cyburbian
OMG.... It is F-ing SNOWING outside. I already counted 10 flakes! :-c It is the end of the south, get Al Gore on the phone, load up on bread and milk!

No one believed me when I said those clouds were snow clouds! It's actually a bit late to be seeing snow around here I think.

Planit

Cyburbian

No one believed me when I said those clouds were snow clouds! It's actually a bit late to be seeing snow around here I think.

I thought that the coldest time of the year in these parts was in two weeks?

Careful what you say, some of the biggest snows (& ice) in NC happen in March.

AG, Big Owl & I all could tell you about a 16" March snow in the early 90s. Of course AG was probably about pre-K when that happened & the Owl was just about college.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Winter has arrived on the Florida panhandle. Tomorrow morning's low is forecast to reach 36 °F. :not:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got about an inch or two of snow last night. They were originally calling for a bit more, but that didn't pan out. It's sunny and blustery today. Currently 11 with a wind chill of -8. It's supposed to remain in the teens much of this week and might get back to 30 or so by the end of the week. Definitely feels like winter now, but at least it's not quite as bad as this time a couple of years ago.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got maybe 2-3" of light powdery snow last night and the car thermometer said it was nine degrees out this morning. There was some wind, so I'm pretty sure the windchill is below zero. Hey, it's the middle of January. I'm okay with this sort of weather right now.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It's cold for down here. I'm enjoying it, but few others are.

I am enjoying it because it is leaps and bounds different than where I was last year. This morning it was cold, but I laughed because I was in a long sleeve shirt yesterday with the sunroof open. Sounds like we have no measurable snow in the foreseeable future. I am sure it will happen at some point this winter, but I am ok with it not.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5-6" of powdery snow last night. 15 on the drive in this morning. Windchill -1

Again, this is perfectly acceptable weather for this time of year. In fact, I'm almost a bit relieved after that unprecedented bizarre snowless December we had.