• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
5-6" of powdery snow last night. 15 on the drive in this morning. Windchill -1

Again, this is perfectly acceptable weather for this time of year. In fact, I'm almost a bit relieved after that unprecedented bizarre snowless December we had.

I saw that there is a bunch of school closures in West Michigan today. I am happy that I don't have to make the drive out to the lake anymore. Is it all lake effect or is it real snow?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I saw that there is a bunch of school closures in West Michigan today. I am happy that I don't have to make the drive out to the lake anymore. Is it all lake effect or is it real snow?

Lake effect

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Got another couple of inches of snow last night. Traffic was pretty slow and snarled for the evening commute. It's sunny today with a brisk west wind that's causing some pretty bad drifting on north-south roads in open areas. It's currently 8 with a wind chill of -9.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Lake effect isn't real snow?

They often have different textures since they are in the atmosphere for different durations. It is similar to how man made snow from snow guns is different than true powder.

To assume that they are the same is similar to thinking that Bush Lite and Founders Breakfast Stout is the same.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Didn't hit zero today but bright and sunny with minimal snow on the ground. Very tolerable.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was snowing here yesterday,and they are saying it could happen again on Thursday and Saturday. Below freezing this morning and not likely to get above 35...

Not as bad as Michigan, but I am looking forward to it warning back up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
10 this morning. For some reason it hit me harder than when it was 10 out last week. Anyone else ever notice this - some mornings you start out cold and its harder to get warm than others even though the temp may be the same?

Bubba

Cyburbian
'Twas a nice brisk 19 degrees for my walk to the office from MARTA this morning.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
11 this a.m. with a -3 windchill. Got maybe an inch of lake effect snow last night along with some drifting.

Planit

Cyburbian
Weekend weather:

nice on Saturday, ran around outside
snow to start Sunday with a dusting, gone by lunch
cold and clear on Monday

Planit

Cyburbian
Today we are getting some intermittent snow flurries.

On Thursday night / Friday we are being told to expect 8" of snow, although we are close to the snow/freezing rain line.

In mskis area it looks like 3/8" to 1/2" of ice/freezing rain. Look out dude.

AG74683

Cyburbian

On Thursday night / Friday we are being told to expect 8" of snow, although we are close to the snow/freezing rain line.

But I want snow! Ice is miserable and annoying.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

IF schools are closed, I am going to be working from home. My worry is my wife trying to get home from work tomorrow.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We're looking at a real, honest to goodness blizzard with very high winds and perhaps snow in excess of 2 feet. Should be an interesting weekend.

DVD

Cyburbian
We got an inch or two of snow. I'm not happy, but it's fun to drive with the back tires constantly slipping.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We're looking at a real, honest to goodness blizzard with very high winds and perhaps snow in excess of 2 feet. Should be an interesting weekend.

If your power does not go out and you do not have to go out, that would be fun... for the first few hours. It is when you need to go out and clear it that it becomes a pain.

Sounds like the storm will not start causing problems here until tomorrow morning... which poses the interesting question of will the cancel school or not.

The biggest concern is a repeat of this event from 11 years ago.
A weather system that was expected to yield only flurries brought just enough snow to snarl traffic, strand 3,000 Wake students overnight at more than 50 schools and produce nightmarish commutes lasting eight or more hours.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1090769/#AYOubpUAs0c1gs7m.99

AG74683

Cyburbian
If they are sending out reverse 911 calls warning folks of this storm, I guess it's gonna be bad. I think they are calling for around a half inch of ICE here.

Woo.....:not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, people are in full panic mode here. Schools are closed, and miniskis and I needed to pick up some things at the local target. We got the last bag of hot dog buns and the bread shelves were almost totally empty. Same with the Milk cooler. Thank God the beer cooler was only half empty.

Wife is packing an overnight bag and is likely going to need to stay at her hospital tomorrow night if it's too bad to get back home. Odds are she will end up picking up extra hours. She lives for these emergency situations and is damn good at emergency medicine. I know she can handle the weather but there are a million other people in the region who might not.

Planit

Cyburbian
Right now there is 4" of snow here and still coming down. Just an hour south in Charlotte it's more slush, but the airport has cancelled all flights.

SNOW DAY!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Right now there is 4" of snow here and still coming down. Just an hour south in Charlotte it's more slush, but the airport has cancelled all flights.

SNOW DAY!

Everything up this way looks like a glazed donut. We had snow earlier this morning, now we have freezing rain.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We are closing at 1 today. Supposed to start snowing sometime around 2 or so. Our forecast has been increased and now we may get over 30 inches. And winds tonight of 25 mph and tomorrow around 40 mph. In this case I think the hype may have been appropriate.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Some of the models are forecasting between 40 and 50 inches of snow in DC. I'm actually jealous.

Our local winter sports businesses certainly are jealous. We've gotten barely over 26" total so far this year!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I actually just bought a pair of snowshoes a few weeks ago and have yet to be able to try them out.

I got my cross country skis out at the beginning of winter and set them conveniently next to the garage door for easy access. I haven't used them yet this year!

kms

Cyburbian

SNOW DAY!

My daughter's half way between Charlotte and Wilmington, and got ice.

The storm is officially in SW PA. The snow got heavier as I got closer to home, which is south and east of Pittsburgh.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The weather radio and our phones woke us up before 3:00 a.m. this morning altering us to tornado, severe thunderstorm, and flash flooding warnings. I was dragging today.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My daughter's half way between Charlotte and Wilmington, and got ice.

The storm is officially in SW PA. The snow got heavier as I got closer to home, which is south and east of Pittsburgh.
Sounds like she's in my neck of the woods. Not much snow here, ice hit earlier tonight but not much. Pretty low impact here .

Planit

Cyburbian
We ended up with 5-6" of snow / sheet mix. Main roads scrapped clean but side roads are snow packed but passable.
Church went ahead and cancelled. Schools will probably be on 2 hour delay Monday.
Lots of nice sledding last night.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We ended up with 1/2 inch of ice and 2 inches of wet snow that is now frozen. 63,000 households without power in my county. It is a mess out there and tomorrow afternoon it will be above freezing and sunny so I hope it is cleared up before Monday.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How much snow has fallen on the East Coast. (Data as of Saturday, 10 p.m. ET)

12593747_10150731484404999_5171429615950297955_o.png

posted by NY Times on FB

MD Planner

Cyburbian
About 36 inches here. It has finally stopped. Digging out is going to be a pain but we didn't lose power and it was fun barhopping downtown.

AG74683

Cyburbian
2 hour delay today. Still icy in some spots. My driveway is just a solid sheet, but that Jeep gets through everything.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
2 hour delay today. Still icy in some spots. My driveway is just a solid sheet, but that Jeep gets through everything.

They announced closures yesterday in our area because of the threat of black ice. They were right. I haven't had to drive in it yet, because our nanny was not able to make it in so I am working from home today.

It will be 60 within the next 10 days, so I am looking forward to the return of spring.

DVD

Cyburbian
This is one of those few times I get to brag about nice weather. Nothing much going on here. The couple inches of snow is all but melted and the roads are clear. The 60 degree weather will be here in a couple days. We get it first!:p

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Well it is day three of The Big Dig and my fair city government is still shut down. Most roads are at least passable but I kind of get it. We have 5 parking garages and they were opened Friday for free so all the downtown residents could park there and it would be much easier to treat the streets. However this much snow means that they have to scoop and haul away curb to curb so until that is complete there is simply nowhere for the residents to park as most don't have off-street parking and thus many workers can't find room in the garages. I think we'll probably be back to work tomorrow. On the plus side, I've gotten a ton of reading done.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
More bizarre weather...this weekend it got up to 47! Almost all the snow is melted and it was 35 on the drive in this a.m.
This is typically the coldest and snowiest time of year for us. Heck, I remember staring at 10-foot high snowdrifts round this time in years past.

1978-Blizzard-Jerry-Ludwig.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
For several day they have been forecasting the potential of Severe Storms on Tuesday afternoon-evening.

weatherstory

weatherstory