• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

DVD

Cyburbian
Our forecast went from 10" to maybe 1" but we will get cold rain. North of us it's supposed to be hell - at least for Kansas.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got about an inch and a half of very heavy fresh snow overnight and it's supposed to snow lightly all day. If it keeps up we will have a few inches by the end of the day and I might try and take my daughter to the sledding hill before we go for the pancake supper at church tonight.

Overall though, we have had very little snow this winter and it's the first winter that my daughter has ever experienced with long stretches of no snow. Over the past two or three years, once it started to snow in December we usually didn't see our lawn again until the end of February or middle of March. However, just a couple days ago it was about 50º and I was looking at my back yard and thinking how nice and thick and green the grass was looking.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, Mother nature decided to be a winter related raging b^!(h one last time before it warms up.

Schools and freeways are closed and everything is glazed in ice. I was 10 minutes late for work and only two people beat me into the office.

Tomorrow it will in the 50's and feel like spring.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well, Mother nature decided to be a winter related raging b^!(h one last time before it warms up.

Schools and freeways are closed and everything is glazed in ice. I was 10 minutes late for work and only two people beat me into the office.

Not a thing down here. I'm not even sure if it rained. Schools were still on a 2 hour delay though.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

The schools are closed here. Ironically, today was a makeup day for the missed school at the end of January. The school calendar says that they'll make up this day on Saturday but I am sure there will be push back. We'll see what actually happens. My driveway and the parking lot were slick but the roads not so much. Of course I didn't see but 5 blocks worth so maybe it worse....

Planit

Cyburbian
Urban roads here are fine right now, but rural roads not so much. Freezing rain scheduled to hit at lunchtime. City Hall will close @ noon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got maybe 6 inches accumulation total since last Thurs. It was 19 on the drive in this a.m.
Junior and I did, however, manage to get some much-anticipated x-country skiing in this weekend.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Urban roads here are fine right now, but rural roads not so much. Freezing rain scheduled to hit at lunchtime. City Hall will close @ noon.

Our roads are getting worse but they say it will warm up this afternoon. I think if they closed right now, I would just stay here in anticipation of it warming up.

Planit

Cyburbian
The wintry mix is now falling in a very fine mist. Icicles are in the infant stages.

I'm cooking chili now. Letting it simmer for several hours.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is 32!!! YEAHHHHHHHH it is 32! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

oh wait... :-c:-c:-c:-c:-c

I live in the south... 32 is bad... :-{:-{:-{:-{:-{:-{

It is just now breaking the freezing mark. However, tomorrow will be downpours and in the 60's...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It is 32!!! YEAHHHHHHHH it is 32! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

oh wait... :-c:-c:-c:-c:-c

I live in the south... 32 is bad... :-{:-{:-{:-{:-{:-{

It is just now breaking the freezing mark. However, tomorrow will be downpours and in the 60's...

I wore shorts on Saturday and it's supposed to be upper 70's by the end of the week.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms last night in the ATL. 35 degrees and thunder - it's just weird...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thunderstorms last night in the ATL. 35 degrees and thunder - it's just weird...

They rolled through here at 5:15 - 5:30 this morning, but it was 65 when they hit and the temp dropped 15 degrees in 15 minutes.

It was strong enough to knock out power for some people and the ponded water on the freeways caused a few accidents.

Planit

Cyburbian
We hovered between 30 & 32 last night. The truck was encased in an icy tomb. I had to pour hot water over the edges of the door to open it so I could warm it up (the car is sleeping nicely in the garage).

They called school off again, but the roads weren't that bad - crunchy. It is already warming up and with all the ice melting off the trees, it looks like rain in the sunshine. We are going to make it to the lower 50s today, so all this should be over.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I heard on the news that on top of a mountain in the Adirondacks of NYS, it hit a wind chill of -84. That's a wind chill of NEGATIVE 84!

AG74683

Cyburbian
They rolled through here at 5:15 - 5:30 this morning, but it was 65 when they hit and the temp dropped 15 degrees in 15 minutes.

It was strong enough to knock out power for some people and the ponded water on the freeways caused a few accidents.

Got here around 3:45 or so. Woke me up. I've never seen that much rain fall at once, it was crazy. Water all over in the basement.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I heard on the news that on top of a mountain in the Adirondacks of NYS, it hit a wind chill of -84. That's a wind chill of NEGATIVE 84!

Wow, I've experienced -50 and thought that was insane, but -84!? Wow! :-|

Planit

Cyburbian
It is amazing how much difference a day can make. It is 53 and sunny here right now. Yesterday we were getting freezing rain.

Yep, the weather here can turn very different in a couple hours. There will be a day when you will have your heat on, then the windows open, then the AC on. I promise you so don't be too surprised.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I thought it was supposed to warm up here today but it was 0º when I got up this morning and went for a walk and now it's warmed up all the way to 3º. However, looking at the forecast, they are still showing temps close to 60º for tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Temps dropped down to 8 this morning but are supposed to get up to 47 tomorrow!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Clear sky and 72°F yesterday. I sat by teh pool in red Speedos reading a book. More of teh same today. :h:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's right around 32 right now. All the snow melted this weekend. It's not too far out of character weather-wise given this is the tail end of Feb.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Saturday morning the temps were in the low 60s here so my daughter and I spent about 5 hours at the playground (or at least what felt like 5 hours). It was unseasonably warm and the first warm, sunny weekend day of the year so there were tons of kids there. My daughter had a blast.

Yesterday, temps were back down into the 30s.

They are now forecasting anywhere from 5"-11" of snow Wednesday and Thursday for us.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I noticed some flowering trees that are starting to break.

It was in the upper 60's and looks like we will have mid to lower 50's for the next 10 days.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well well well... looks like we might need to batten down the hatches for tomorrow. Today's highs are in the 40's tomorrows highs will be in the mid 70's and Thursday's highs will be down in the 50's as a serious front gets worked up and we are in the risk for a possible sharknado!

Richmond Jake

We're expecting nasty weather here on the Gulf Coast tonight and into early tomorrow morning. :not:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Holy crap! Storm just blew through here. Winds were up to 60 mph. That last one was terrifying. I'll have to run home and make sure I still have a house after this ends.

kms

Cyburbian
Holy crap! Storm just blew through here. Winds were up to 60 mph. That last one was terrifying. I'll have to run home and make sure I still have a house after this ends.

My daughter said that her school delayed dismissal. I hope you're safe.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Our City Hall was on lock down and we had to take shelter. The storm shifted directions so I headed home. There was a lot of damage in the state, but we are safe and we still have power. But there are a lot in the area that are not so lucky.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Temp is lingering around 32 this morning. We got maybe 8 inches of heavy wet (backbreaking to shovel) snow during the last 24 hours. I believe Old Man Winter took his last punch at us for the season. We may get some cold temps yet but I doubt we get much if any in the way of accumulation. I'd say we're looking at an early spring this year.

Oh yeah, they freakin' cancelled school today if you can believe it! The roads are reasonably clear and the temps are barely at freezing :r:

AG74683

Cyburbian
My daughter said that her school delayed dismissal. I hope you're safe.

Our City Hall was on lock down and we had to take shelter. The storm shifted directions so I headed home. There was a lot of damage in the state, but we are safe and we still have power. But there are a lot in the area that are not so lucky.

No damage from a cursory glance at the house. I have some thin aluminum ridge caps and from the ground it looks like one may have pulled up out of the roof. I'll have to head back up this weekend to confirm and get the various sticks off.

Some of our county is without power and the estimate is around 2 days to get it back on. Back home, they called off school because there's no power and no hope to have it on today.

Planit

Cyburbian
Some trees down and power is out in a few spots but the was the major damage.

We had a tornado warning between 11:30 & 12:30, but the big black clouds stayed just south. Several squall lines came through with heavy downpours & wind for about 10 mins, then nothing but wind.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got maybe 8 inches of heavy wet (backbreaking to shovel) snow during the last 24 hours. I believe Old Man Winter took his last punch at us for the season. We may get some cold temps yet but I doubt we get much if any in the way of accumulation. I'd say we're looking at an early spring this year.

Oh yeah, they freakin' cancelled school today if you can believe it! The roads are reasonably clear and the temps are barely at freezing :r:

We got maybe 8 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday. I believe Old Man Winter took his last punch at us for the season. It's 16 degrees now but I doubt we get much more in the way of accumulation. I'd say we're looking at an early spring.

Oh yeah, they freakin' cancelled school (again) today if you can believe it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got maybe 8 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday. I believe Old Man Winter took his last punch at us for the season. It's 16 degrees now but I doubt we get much more in the way of accumulation. I'd say we're looking at an early spring.

Oh yeah, they freakin' cancelled school (again) today if you can believe it.

We got about 6" on this side of the state and some of the 'burbs further to the north got a little bit more. Our snow was pretty powdery but the roads below them were very slick. It took me about 5 minutes to make a right hand turn out of my neighborhood onto the arterial road as traffic was bumper to bumper (when there is usually none) and just crawling past because the road was slick enough that many of the cars couldn't get any traction.

The roads in our neighborhood were very slick too and hadn't been touch by the plows or salt trucks which is out of the ordinary because they usually plow and salt our streets early and often because we are totally surrounded by schools. Our schools and most of the surrounding districts were open but many further out were closed, I was sort of surprised that ours wasn't one of them.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Only got a few inches yesterday. Scraped ice off my car in the morning then snow in the afternoon. Should be warming up now and back in the sixties next week.

Otis

Cyburbian
Springtime on the Oregon Coast:

Storm Warning now in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 6 PM
PST this evening...
... Hurricane force wind warning in effect from 6 PM to 11 PM PST
this evening...

The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a hurricane
force wind warning... which is in effect from 6 PM to 11 PM PST
this evening. This is in addition to the Storm Warning which is in
effect until 6 PM PST this evening.

* Winds... southeast wind 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 35 kt in the
morning becoming south 35 to 45 kt with gusts to 60 kt by late
afternoon. South winds increasing further 45 to 55 kt with gusts
to 65 kt this evening. Local gusts as high as 75 kt possible
within the coastal jet and near CAPES. Winds veering to the
southwest 35 to 40 kt with gusts to 55 kt after midnight
tonight.

* Seas... rapidly building to 25 to 30 ft by this evening... with
seas remaining near 30 ft tonight. Seas will subside into the
teens by Thursday night. Seas this evening will be particularly
chaotic with a dangerously steep wind wave component.

Richmond Jake

It's been raining so much here yesterday and today that the pool is almost overflowing. More rain in the forecast tomorrow. Walking the dogs in this weather is not fun. :not:

Thankfully, I have enough bumwine on hand to get me through this.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We are currently under a winter weather advisory with snow and freezing rain in the forecast everyday from now until Sunday morning and possibly 3" of snow on Saturday. Good thing I haven't put the sleds away yet. :not:

Some areas just northeast of us are forecast for 6" through Thursday and Friday.

zman

Cyburbian
The heat is coming!!! :h::h:

Time to get the bike out and explore the river trails...

Rygor

Cyburbian
Everyone left Phoenix just in time. Going to push 100 today. But of course it's supposed to drop down into the low 80s for highs over the weekend. :h: