• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

AG74683

Cyburbian
Ugh, it just won't cool down here. 97 today, mid to high 90's all freaking weekend!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Still too hot this weekend. Come on! I want these fall temperatures already. It's supposed to be in the mid 80's all week so I guess it's a start. It feels weird drinking Sam Adams Ocktoberfest when it's 90 outside.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It has cooled off a bit, but more importantly, we are getting rain, which is a great thing for my lawn. I still have not had to go out and buy a lawn mower.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm officially declaring today to the Last Gasp of Summer. Why? True, the calendar read first day of fall a couple weeks ago, and only about 25% of the leaves have begun to turn colors, but it has been rainy and steadily in the low 60's for the last several weeks. Today it's just a whisker below 80, the sun is shining, and to be honest the prospect of getting another such day the rest of the year is practically nil. So enjoy yourselves, grab life with both hands while you still can, and take one last big bite as the season permanently changes, doesn't look back again, and pumpkin spice lattes take over your life.

Planit

Cyburbian
Still driving into work with the windows down each morning, but I'm starting to get chilled.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
497°F this morning. I had to close the windows when the heater started blowing. :not:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Really? It's raining drizzle here.

At lunch time it was freezing rain and sleet and then around two it switched over to big heavy snowflakes, nothing was sticking though. It looks like it's stopped now though. I texted my wife to ask if it was snowing at home and she said it was just rain. I work about 10 miles north of my home in an area surrounded by about 100 small inland lakes and those little lakes do seem to make a difference locally in where it's snowing or how hard it's snowing.

Thinking back, it snowed on us a little bit each of the last two years when we were out trick-or-treating so this seems to be in line with when we start getting snow. We probably will not get anything measurable for at least another 3 weeks or so though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thinking back, it snowed on us a little bit each of the last two years when we were out trick-or-treating so this seems to be in line with when we start getting snow. We probably will not get anything measurable for at least another 3 weeks or so though.

At a minimum, there are flurries and/or some modest temporary accumulation by Turkey Day.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It is October 31st and so far we have not had our usual October flurries. By now we'd have normally had at least one such occurrence by now.

Planit

Cyburbian
I don't live in RJland anymore. It's not supposed to be 81 for the high on November 2nd here in the foothills. Climate change / global warming ain't real :r::not:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Since record keeping started in 1871, yesterday was the warmest temperature ever recorded in Louisville, KY, with a high of 85F.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Very cloudy here in the ATL this morning, although I doubt we'll get any (much needed) rain out of it.

Since record keeping started in 1871, yesterday was the warmest temperature ever recorded in Louisville, KY, with a high of 85F.

It's never gotten about 85 degrees in Louisville? Ever?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Freakish weather yesterday. Got in the mid 70's yesterday. I sat on the front porch last night in shorts and a tee shirt drinking a PBR....on November 1!:-|

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the upper 70s on this side of the state when I was driving home yesterday evening and still about 75º last night around 10:00 p.m. when I decided to go for a run.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Very cloudy here in the ATL this morning, although I doubt we'll get any (much needed) rain out of it.

It's never gotten about 85 degrees in Louisville? Ever?

Ah, I see I neglected to add "in November". The all-time hottest temperature ever recorded in Louisville is 107F, on three separate occasions.:h:

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of the side effects of this post-Halloween warm weather: The jack-o-lanterns that are still on the porch seem to be rotting very quickly and were swarming with tiny little flies when I was home at lunchtime and wanted to toss them into the compost pile.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Frost Advisory for tomorrow morning - clear sky, forecast mid 30's,

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the 50s here all weekend and very pleasant. Friday morning I was up on my roof to clean the gutters and start putting up the Christmas lights. Sunday I got back up there to finish with the lights and the gutters along the back of the house were already full of leaves again... and I still have a lot on the trees waiting to come down and clog my gutters. :-{

Planit

Cyburbian
Our last measurable rain was Oct 9th with an outlying band from Hurricane Matthew - and it was more wind & no that much rain. Last real rain was in the middle of September.

Smoke from the fires in WNC has reached us this weekend too. It's settling down in the valleys.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We've had a very mild fall that has been quite long-lasting and I'm not complaining! Also, the leaves are still at peak and not fully off the trees in some areas. In Northern Illinois, we usually peak in mid-late October and the leaves are all fallen by mid-November. I wonder if they will extend yard waste pickup (which usually ends Nov. 30) another week or two this year?

Usually, November is just another winter month in Illinois. Typically cold, gray, and windy. Trees are all bare already. One of the darkest times of the year. But this year, I feel like fall has stuck around, which is really welcome.

However, we could have our first taste of winter soon. Here's the wild forecast heading into this weekend:

Thursday: 69 and sunny
Friday: 63 and thunderstorms
Saturday: 40 and snow showers
Sunday: 39 and sunny

Gotta love Illinois!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Freakish weather! It was 65 yesterday evening. This on November 17th!!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Friday afternoon when I got home it was in the upper 70s and I went for a run in shorts and a tank top. Saturday it was in the 30s and snowing. This morning when I got up it was 28º with a windchill that made it feel like it was 15º.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We might actually get some measurable rainfall here in the ATL this evening for the first time in a couple of months...

Planit

Cyburbian
Our last measurable rain was Oct 9th with an outlying band from Hurricane Matthew - and it was more wind & no that much rain. Last real rain was in the middle of September.

Smoke from the fires in WNC has reached us this weekend too. It's settling down in the valleys.

We might actually get some measurable rainfall here in the ATL this evening for the first time in a couple of months...

I'll believe it when I see it - forecast is calling for rain on Tuesday & Wednesday. Let's hope Stephanie Abrams & Jim Cantore are correct.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was in the low 60's this morning when I left the house... at 6:30 am. High today is expected to be in the 70's. :D

I am praying for rain in Eastern TN and Western NC and hope that everyone over that way stays safe.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Three tornadoes in metro Atlanta yesterday afternoon. My yard is trashed (as is the rest of the street) - no trees down, fortunately.