• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Three tornadoes in metro Atlanta yesterday afternoon. My yard is trashed (as is the rest of the street) - no trees down, fortunately.

It got a little windy here but otherwise we just got a little rain.

Yesterday it was in the upper 70's and was still in the mid 60's this morning but it sounds like it will be returning to normal temperatures soon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Looking at actual snow next week. I know, that's pretty danged late in the season. But remember last year, we got almost no snow at all the entire month of December. Bizarre times we live in

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Three inches or so of heavy white stuff. It's December 5, so I'm saying "how charming. Isn't it picturesque?"

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Day 3 of rain. But supposedly it will taper off this evening.

Tomorrow is some sun and no rain.

Then temps plunge 15-20 degrees, more rain, and most likely the first official freeze (we've flirted with frosty, but only in the outer areas - not at the "official" weather locations) before the end of the week. Winter arrived late, but she's here now.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
We got about six inches of snow here in Chicagoland yesterday. Storm was very under-forecast. They were initially calling for only one or two inches, which would likely only accumulate on grassy surfaces. Wrong!

First snow of the season, though, so what do you expect?

Planit

Cyburbian
I didn't empty my rain gauge for the week and we ended up with 3.8" of rain. Good to put some water back in the ecosystem, but the lakes are still down quite a bit.

It was 28 on the way to work this morning.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I didn't empty my rain gauge for the week and we ended up with 3.8" of rain. Good to put some water back in the ecosystem, but the lakes are still down quite a bit.

We were a degree warmer here... and my oldest could not find his coat or the outer shell of his coat this morning. Turns out both were in the lost and found at his school.

Granted his coat might be a bit overkill for this climate. It is rated to 5 or 10 below zero.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior fought us tooth and nail NOT to do his math homework last night ("I don' t need to do it. Teacher said we're probably going to have a snow day tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow morning...."). He normally fights us on doing his homework but last night was an especially bitter struggle. He was convinced there would be no school today. Nothing I could say and no weather report indicating anything to the contrary could shake him from this conviction. Heck, he had me half convinced.

Turns out we got only 3 inches of snow last night and, yes, they had school today. As I'm heading out the door I say to him "aren't you glad now that we made you do your math homework last night? You would have been totally hosed otherwise." His response, "no."
:-{

Planit

Cyburbian
Junior fought us tooth and nail NOT to do his math homework last night ("I don' t need to do it. Teacher said we're probably going to have a snow day tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow morning...."). He normally fights us on doing his homework but last night was an especially bitter struggle. He was convinced there would be no school today. Nothing I could say and no weather report indicating anything to the contrary could shake him from this conviction. Heck, he had me half convinced.

Turns out we got only 3 inches of snow last night and, yes, they had school today. As I'm heading out the door I say to him "aren't you glad now that we made you do your math homework last night? You would have been totally hosed otherwise." His response, "no."
:-{

3" of snow here would have shut the whole place down for at least a couple of days.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

It was 31 here. I actually had to break out a hoodie and where it. I have yet to turn on the heat.

DVD

Cyburbian
There's some snow on the ground, but not enough to cover the grass yet. Hardly worth mentioning except to those further south who are unfamiliar with the white stuff.

TOFB

Cyburbian
It was sunny, calm and 12 degrees this morning. Very pleasant. Days like this usually don't feel good until late February/March.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
:shrugs: Don't know the regional names that well - they're in Springville.

Just about. The southern tier is the southern most counties in upstate New York along the Pennsylvania state line. Springville is on the border and technically not in the Southern Tier but is in an area which typically gets the worst of the lake effect snow.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This morning was a wet foggy crappy cold (40s and 50s) yuck. Right now, it is a bit over 60 and sunny.

Some weather outlets said that we might see snow flakes the end of the week... I doubt it.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
This morning was a wet foggy crappy cold (40s and 50s) yuck. Right now, it is a bit over 60 and sunny.

Some weather outlets said that we might see snow flakes the end of the week... I doubt it.

Ah, the North Carolina Piedmont Foggy December days...don't miss those

Bubba

Cyburbian
Just about. The southern tier is the southern most counties in upstate New York along the Pennsylvania state line. Springville is on the border and technically not in the Southern Tier but is in an area which typically gets the worst of the lake effect snow.

Gotcha. They average around 200 inches of snow per year, which is about 198 inches more than I ever want to see on an annual basis.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The weather reports Friday and Saturday were warning us of a snowstorm here in Metro Detroit for Sunday and for some reason I just didn't believe we were going to get much. The projection was for 4"-6"... then it was for 6"-9"... then it was for 10"+. I woke up early Sunday morning to go for a walk and, low and behold, the weatherman wasn't lying. By 6:00 a.m. we already had 3 or 4 inches and it was still coming down pretty good. I think we ended up with about 9" total at our house.

Sunday evening when we were sitting down at dinner my wife and I both got automated voicemails saying that school had been canceled for Monday. Based on how much my daughter cheered, I imagine there was a similar response around the rest of the dinner tables throughout the city at 6:17 p.m. We spent all day Monday sledding, walking through the woods, and throwing snowballs. Looking at the forecast for the rest of the week it appears it's going to get cold now. :mi:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had a snow day yesterday. This after only 9-10" :r: I swear they feel obligated to use up their annual allotment of 5 snow days every year.

Planit

Cyburbian
It will be 38 on Thursday afternoon when the PWDirector and I have a field survey on a big project with the engineers. I already have layers in mind.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We had a snow day yesterday. This after only 9-10" :r: I swear they feel obligated to use up their annual allotment of 5 snow days every year.

I think if we got that much snow down here, everything, call in the national guard, and issue a stay in place order. There would be panic and pandemonium, bread and milk would disappear, and people would start wondering if this was the end of humanity.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think if we got that much snow down here, everything, call in the national guard, and issue a stay in place order. There would be panic and pandemonium, bread and milk would disappear, and people would start wondering if this was the end of humanity.

I remember when I lived down there we had a relatively good size snowstorm one year (I believe it was MLK weekend in 2000 or 2001). Along the coast we got maybe 5" but your area got closer to a foot. Everything in Jacksonville, Wilmington, New Bern, etc. was shut down for a day but it warmed up quick enough that the snow melted and things were back to normal the next day. But further inland the temps stayed cold enough that nothing was melting and I can remember watching the evening news and seeing the schools around Raleigh, Cary, and Durham were shutdown for at least the entire week. The cities out there just did not have the equipment available to move that much snow and many of the folks had no idea how to drive in it.

MSkis - Do you own a snow shovel at your house down there? I wonder how many of your neighbors do?

Planit

Cyburbian
I remember when I lived down there we had a relatively good size snowstorm one year (I believe it was MLK weekend in 2000 or 2001). Along the coast we got maybe 5" but your area got closer to a foot. Everything in Jacksonville, Wilmington, New Bern, etc. was shut down for a day but it warmed up quick enough that the snow melted and things were back to normal the next day. But further inland the temps stayed cold enough that nothing was melting and I can remember watching the evening news and seeing the schools around Raleigh, Cary, and Durham were shutdown for at least the entire week. The cities out there just did not have the equipment available to move that much snow and many of the folks had no idea how to drive in it.

MSkis - Do you own a snow shovel at your house down there? I wonder how many of your neighbors do?

mskis might be the most popular guy in his 'hood if he kept his snowblower in the move south.
BTW-I own snow shovel.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
mskis might be the most popular guy in his 'hood if he kept his snowblower in the move south.
BTW-I own snow shovel.

I imagine on your side of the state that snow shovel gets a bunch more use than points east.

I was at the gym last night and I had to laugh at the guy in the steam room who had started up his snowblower and let it run once a month since the spring with the hopes that when the snow hit, he'd be all set only to have it actually fail him this past weekend.

kms

Cyburbian
Snow's been falling steadily here this afternoon. I didn't feel well, and left work early. That's a good thing, because temps are falling below 30. I drove home on wet roads, but it won't be the case for much longer.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
No.... I do not, and will not buy a snow shovel. I refuse. When we moved away from West Michigan, I left the snow shovel in the garage on purpose. I thought about melting it down in a big F-U to old man winter, but I thought that might be a bit much.

The snow blower went back to the UP and was donated to a family that needed one.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
No.... I do not, and will not buy a snow shovel. I refuse. When we moved away from West Michigan, I left the snow shovel in the garage on purpose. I thought about melting it down in a big F-U to old man winter, but I thought that might be a bit much.

The snow blower went back to the UP and was donated to a family that needed one.

A co-worker has a snow blower. It was left when he bought the house he currently lives in. I am sure he wouldn't have it otherwise. He is popular with family and neighbors when it snows so he gets a lot of use of it two times a year.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Mid Winter cold here. 10 degrees, Wind Chill -8, Northwest wind and blowing snow. Why am I here?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Remember the phrase 'polar vortex' from three winters ago? Now we're getting hit with a double polar vortex. It accounts for the single digit temps in the Great Lakes region.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Remember the phrase 'polar vortex' from three winters ago? Now we're getting hit with a double polar vortex. It accounts for the single digit temps in the Great Lakes region.

Our baby has a bad cold and was up most of the night so I told my wife I'd take the 1st grader to the bus stop since the baby had finally fallen asleep. It was 4º outside so I reluctantly agreed to drive the block away so our daughter could sit in the comfort of the warm car while we waited for the bus. Of course, once we got to the bus stop she decided she wanted to get out of the car and play in the snow. Next time I take her on such a cold day, I'm making her walk there.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

It's coming to Texas. Check out the high and low temperatures for Saturday:

15542240_1151293448252877_2097059990194355855_n.jpg

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It's certainly been a wintry start to the winter! I guess we had it coming given how mild November was.

We've had a winter storm the past two weekends. 8" the first, 7" the second. This weekend, I feel like they have no clue what's going to happen with the third winter storm this season, since it is tracking farther north this time around, which means some people in the Chicago area could see freezing rain or sleet mix in and lower totals. I really hope that crap stays to the south. I have three holiday gatherings and a birthday party this weekend...I can deal with a little bit of snow, but nobody wants freezing rain, especially when they have to drive around.

It's been cold all week with temperatures in the single digits and teens during the day and going below zero at night and wind chills diving below -20 at times. Yesterday evening, the wind caused widespread drifting of snow making for a slow and somewhat treacherous commute out in the far suburbs, but luckily they've subsided today.

After this next system, temperatures will plummet below zero on Saturday night, reaching a low of -14 on Sunday night, before finally getting back above zero on Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if wind chills approach -30 or -40.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of ours is taking his family to NYC this weekend for Christmas - I told him he made need a coat.

He said "I know, but we were planning on buying new coats up there because there's a great store we know about and we wouldn't have to carry them on the plane. No it looks like that plan is shot."

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm taking my kids to visit my sister in Dallas tomorrow. We're flying Delta, so we're going Lou->Det->DFW. I'm really hoping we don't get snowed in, in Detroit.:-c

DVD

Cyburbian
It's just cold and icy here. Gonna be worse tomorrow, but at least there's no snow. I hope.

michaelskis

Cyburbian