• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh great... You guys up north will probably have a white christmas (well except floidans and other cyburbians in more subtropical latitudes) while I'm doomed for a wet christmas...

I think summer was cancelled here... :( it's been raining for a week or so, and it's cold too. :-(

SGB

Cyburbian
Oh great... You guys up north will probably have a white christmas (well except floidans and other cyburbians in more subtropical latitudes) while I'm doomed for a wet christmas...

I think summer was cancelled here... :( it's been raining for a week or so, and it's cold too. :-(

We may not have a white christmas at all. Check out this White Christmas Probability Map for the United States..

Global warming sucks! :-{

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Lower Michigan will have a green Christmas. It has been warm (it is 50 today) and not too bad… other than it has not snowed.

There is a chance for snow in the UP overnights this weekend, however it does not look promising.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blizzard

The posts from Z-Man about the big Colorado blizzard remind me of the blizzard that hit the midwest many moons ago.....

Late January, 1978. On a Wednesday night we had cold rain, lots of it. As the front moved through, with hurricane-type conditions, the temperature spiraled downward, freezing all of the standing water. The snow in the NW Ohio area was only about 14-inches, but the winds continued at near-hurricane intensity (about 50 MPH winds).

Snow drifts as high as 25 feet were created, every major highway closed, power was out in most of NW Ohio (for a number of days). The white out conditions during the height of the blizzard were so intense that a number of people lost their lives because they couldn't find their house.....and they were in their country home driveways!

Thousand of truckers were stranded in the drifts on the Ohio Turnpike (I-80 / I-90) and on I-75. Those rigs (and all the cars around them, also stuck) were not pulled from the drifts for almost three days. The National Guard was called-up, mainly for snow removal, usually dumping the tons of snow in the local rivers and in Maumee Bay (Lake Erie).

Huge mountains of snow were created in shopping mall parking lots, creating a scene that reminded flat-landers of the Tetons. Some of that snow did not finally melt until mid-Spring, 1978.

I lived with Donna in a little house in Perrysburg, OH (a Toledo suburb). Even though our power was out for a few days, we had heat.....the house was heated with a space heater (not a furnace) and that unit had no thermostat.....it was just ON or OFF. We picked ON, since the clear days after the blizzard were generally in the below-zero range.

My 58 years in NW Ohio have seen some strong and deep snows.....but only one real blizzard. Old-timers (like me) still talk about "the blizzard of 78".

Oh, forgot to mention.....we began the "blizzard watch" at Dale's Bar, Maumee, OH. As we drank we joked about ".....what if we got a blizzard.....".

Good luck, Z. (And others in the path of this storm.)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
It has been unseasonably warm in there here parts (NW Ohio). Daytime temps have been at or near 50F.....about 20 degrees above normal. The Toledo area has measured a total of 1.5 inches of snow. Our usual seasonal snowfall is about 37 inches.

Yeah, we will get some real winter weather. But.....we are already only a month away from Groundhog Day. A very mild winter in NW Ohio.

Kind of like living in Tennessee.

Bear

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We've got jonquils sprouting up all over So. Indiana, the trees are starting to thicken, temps have been 20 degrees warmer than usual. Weirdly unsettling.

All I want is a good snowstorm, dangnabbit.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Canadian geese are back in droves here in NJ, unfortunately the buggers like the grassy common area in our apartment complex and leave little "packages" everywhere . I've seen a bunch of squirrels running around and the pussy willow trees have buds on them already.

zman

Cyburbian
Sorry, have to do this as an amateur bird watcher, but it is CANADA geese, not Canadian. Sorry K-jel

Anyways, snowing again here, warm the past two days enough to melt a small amount of snow (and have it refreeze on the roads at night).
The wind is back too, 4-8 inches is predicted.

Still going to work though. ;)

boiker

Cyburbian
Sorry, have to do this as an amateur bird watcher, but it is CANADA geese, not Canadian. Sorry K-jel

Anyways, snowing again here, warm the past two days enough to melt a small amount of snow (and have it refreeze on the roads at night).
The wind is back too, 4-8 inches is predicted.

Still going to work though. ;)

These geese around here are card-carrying canucks. therefore, canadian ;)

Hceux

Cyburbian
On the fifth day of January, here we are with yet another rainy day and it's going up to a plus 12 today! My gosh. What kind of Canadian winter is this? A Vancouver one?

Actually, I wouldn't mind having clean and safe roads to drive on right through til middle of February as I have to commute every Friday evening and Sunday evening to the next big town from here...going across an area that is well known for having poor road conditions during a typical Canadian winter.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am so thrilled that it is going to be about 70F tomorrow in Philly since I despise the cold weather. It has been so warm that I haven't had all of my family (from Florida) and friends torment me too much about the cold weather. :)

boilerplater

Cyburbian
I am so thrilled that it is going to be about 70F tomorrow in Philly since I despise the cold weather. It has been so warm that I haven't had all of my family (from Florida) and friends torment me too much about the cold weather.

But doesn't it make you uncomfortable in the back of your mind? Like you know this isn't the way it is supposed to be? I heard this morning that some British climatologist is predicting 2007 to be the hottest year on record. While I know the heating bills for my rental property in Trenton wont be so bad this winter, I'm starting to wonder if it will be often under water in a few years!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
But doesn't it make you uncomfortable in the back of your mind? Like you know this isn't the way it is supposed to be? I heard this morning that some British climatologist is predicting 2007 to be the hottest year on record. While I know the heating bills for my rental property in Trenton wont be so bad this winter, I'm starting to wonder if it will be often under water in a few years!

I just love alarmists and catastrophists.....If only medieval people whould have had thermometers and good records... we wouldn't have this OMG we're gonna diez!!! the planet is warming look at my chart look at these sinus wave patterns and I just added a straight line at the end... that's the future!!!! :r:

Oh and BTW, Ice is less dense than liquid water, that means that if the artic melts you have less volume, but since there's going to be some continental ice melting and pouring into the ocean too, we're going to stay the same and maybe some feet more.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Q. Anybody expereience/witness Thundersnow ?

Interesting article about it:
Thunder and lightning lead to heavier snow, study finds
http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/18283

Snow accumulations of 6 inches or more are almost guaranteed when a snowstorm is accompanied by flashes of lightning and crashes of thunder, according to an analysis of 30 years' worth of Midwest storms by researchers at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Just wow.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian

If you watch the Al Gore documentary, yes, it does concern me. However, since I despise the cold, no, I am not upset. Plus, according to the scientists at NOAA, it is an El Nino year, so this is just part of climatology cycle.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn the El Nino or global warming....I spent a smashing day in NYC today and it was absolutely gorgeous outside :D

Hceux

Cyburbian
Is it just me? Out of nowhere, there has suddently been a discussion of El Nino in the news in the last day or so.

Articles with titles that start with..."2007 hottest year!", "Animals will be harmed by warmer winters", etc.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
Oh and BTW, Ice is less dense than liquid water, that means that if the artic melts you have less volume, but since there's going to be some continental ice melting and pouring into the ocean too, we're going to stay the same and maybe some feet more.

Yeah, those scientists probably didn't think of including a correction factor when calculating the liquid volume that a given volume of ice will produce. Stupid scientists!

I'm actually more concerned about the greater chances of freakish weather caused by this than an actual rise in ocean levels.

zman

Cyburbian
Yeah, I was thinking that people should be uncomfortable in the "comfortable" weather. Boilerplater is spot on.

Meanwhile, while seemingly the rest of the U.S. is enjoying a warm winter, we along the Front Range of Colorado are enjoy a "true" winter. Already faced with record snowfall, it has been cold enough for the snow to stay (normally, it melts the next day).

On the forecast? Beginning tomorrow we'll have freezing rain/snow/drizzle/ice and then regular all-out snow for 5 days straight. Also the high temps will "peak" during the next couple days at 9 (nine) degrees F.

Weird, as on the high plains, winter is usually dry and windy.

I've already got movies, beer, sausages and mixed nuts so I dont have to drive this weekend. ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The forecast high for Saturday, Sunday and Monday is 75 degrees with a slight chance of showers on Monday. Looks like a good weekend to get the chores done early and spend time reading outdoors. That's what I'm talking about. :)

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Waiting for another ugly one to hit this way...2 inches of ice is the prediction...possibility of 1million out of electricity in the STL area over the weekend...gughugh I had plans to go out with the girls Sat night...maybe it will blow right over!!!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I just got home and had to turn the air conditioning on. hehehehe..... ;)
Not the warm here but my windows are open and I'm starting the bbq tonight. I'm cooking a nice little filet mignon...to acknowledge that it's Friday night...single male...home alone.

The One

Cyburbian
Oh yeah....

High of 3 degrees today... brrr... sunny though...:)

Tell me about it....it was FREEZING in Greeley last weekend, but the Roma's pizza was HOT
Sadly, I didn't want to get everyone's hopes up for a mini laefest.....since I took the entire family.....although, a family laefest would be fun......in the summer:r: :D
I can't believe how much Greeley has sprawled towards I-25!!! YIKES! But still a pleasant town.....(even with the smell of money in the air;-) ).

Western Arizona was covered with a Garua all day today:-| kind of a nice break from all that sun:r:

zman

Cyburbian
We cooked out last night.
The famous bleu cheese burgers.

In fact, I may fire up the grill tonight.

The sun's down, we're now at -1.

Time to start drinking.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Ice in KS.
Came up through and hit the courthouse in Abilene about 3:00, I left at 4 and drove through town and took I-70 west to Salina, it was clear the whole way.
They are still talking about it coming. It is very cold and will be all weekend.

Great time to stay in cuddled up with hot cocoa and movies.:-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Time to start drinking.

Toledo (and NW Ohio) does not see much in the way of below-zero F weather. A normal Winter will have a couple days in the range of zero to minus-10. It is still usually the coldest part of Ohio, though.

I had a chance to experience actual temperature of minus-39, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was soooo cold.....but absolutely no wind.

I put on my old snowmobile suit (looking like "The Michelin Man" :-c ) and walked around town (Paradise, MI) at 3:00 AM.....just to experience that cold of a temp. The next day we played at a frozen waterfall, drank lots of beer at a warm log-cabin type bar, and wasted the cold weekend away. :)

The coldest temp so far this Winter in T-Town.....about 18F.

Bear Brrrrrrrrrr

Great time to stay in cuddled up with hot cocoa SNIP SNIP SNIP:-D

Take spearmint or peppermint schnapps and put it in the cocoa. Or, even better.....Bailey's......yum...... :-D

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
In fact, I may fire up the grill tonight.

How in the heck do you grill out in that kind of weather? Don't the coals congeal from the cold? Does the thawed meat re-freeze? Don't your fingers get numb???? :-o :-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put on my old snowmobile suit (looking like "The Michelin Man" :-c ) and walked around town (Paradise, MI) at 3:00 AM.....just to experience that cold of a temp. The next day we played at a frozen waterfall, drank lots of beer at a warm log-cabin type bar, and wasted the cold weekend away. :)

Bear Brrrrrrrrrr

I saw a frozen waterfall once, it was quite a sight considering a few adventurous souls were climbing up it! It was pretty cool though.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I saw a frozen waterfall once, it was quite a sight considering a few adventurous souls were climbing up it! It was pretty cool though.

Entirely off-topic (except the frozen part).....the waterfall mentioned-above in my last post is Taquamenon Falls. It is the largest waterfall (in volume) east of the Mississippi River.....if you don't count Niagara Fall's. It is a great waterfall to visit, no matter what the season. It is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Walk about a half mile through a woods to reach the waterfall. Cool.

Bear

Planderella

Cyburbian
Today is the first day in two weeks where the skies are actually clear and the sun is visible. After two weeks of overcast, rainy, chilly, gloomy weather, everyone's mood seems to have improved along with the weather.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never knew what sea smoke was until I moved to northern Maine - it is stupendous, so beautiful, really makes up for driving to work when it's 5 below!

nerudite

Cyburbian
The frozen waterfalls in Jasper national park are really awesome. You can also treck up the frozen canyons at night (they lead you with hard hats/lights). Really unique experience!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Really cold here tonight; freeze warning (hey, that's real cold for us!). Got the kid some sweat pants to sleep in so I can turn the heat way down. (I'll be wearing my sweats and my new "Florida Gators National Champions" long-sleeve t-shirt. :-D )

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's f-f-f-freezing here today. -20 (-30 with wind chill). But at least it is sunny, and the canal is open for skating.

bflo_la

Cyburbian
why is anchorage, ak going to be warmer than buffalo, ny for the next 10 days?

grrrr

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brrrrr......ok so I know that last night's 3" dusting of snow isn't considered winter yet but dang....it's 25F out with the wind chill factor making it feel like 13F. My daughter learned this morning that school doesn't let out for snow here although they were on a 90 minute delay.

Planit

Cyburbian
Bubba - you there? Did you skate into work? I saw Atlanta had ice yesterday.

The dreaded WINTRY MIX is scheduled to be here on Thursday.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Bubba - you there? Did you skate into work? I saw Atlanta had ice yesterday.

The dreaded WINTRY MIX is scheduled to be here on Thursday.

18 degrees yesterday morning, but no ice between Chez Bubba and my office (or between Chez Bubba and our favorite little hole-in-the-wall Cajun restaurant:b: , thankfully). It actually sounded like most of the icy roads were on the south side of town. We are looking at sleet on Thursday, starting mid-morning...at least that means I'll only have to deal with one screwed-up rush hour.:r:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
You know it's cold when they are complaining about it in ... New Hampshire. (No, NHPlanner was not one of 'em complaining). I arrived in the Granite State about 8:30 Friday night and stopped at a convenience store for some things and here are all these emmits complaining that it's cold (it was 3F at the time). I'm from sunny southern Indiana and yeah, 3F is cold, but this is NH and it is late January. Buck up, folks, it's supposed to be cold this time of year. BTW, it went down to -14F at my destination.

Also, all you Detroiters: why can't ya'll get your airport workin' in a 3" snowfall? I was delayed at the Northwest terminal for 3+ hours Friday and 1.5 hours yesterday because of puny snowfalls. What gives?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Finally some snow 1 + inches on the ground. :-D

Latest first snow according to TV weather.

Last edited: