• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
64 degrees now
forecast is for a 40 degree drop by Sunday morning.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Kentucky counties across the river are under a Tornado Watch until 9 pm.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, in Ft Worth it went from 70 earlier today to 26 currently. It actually dropped 17 degrees while I walked the dogs this afternoon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Went from a high of 68o at 12:54 to 32o at 20:54

forecast low monday morning is < 10o

TOFB

Cyburbian
Our 'drop' went from +19 F to -11 F. Contrary to social media, we all survived.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Wind chill in the low 20s for my commute this morning. Discussed my dislike of cold weather with one of my underlings (who lived in New England for many years), who chose to dismiss my complaints by claiming this isn't really cold weather...apparently she's feeling safe since we concluded her annual review last week. ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Currently, Fair and 70°F. The forecast is for mid-70's temps on Christmas Day. Might get some time by the pool. :h: :lmao:

Richmond Jake

Currently, Fair, 77°F.

Chairs are placed by the pool with care
in hopes that ZG and RJ will soon be there

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had a white Christmas but, wow, it's supposed to get up to the mid 50's today! :-|

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Funny how it can be 26 one day and it feels a bit chilly and be 26 another day and feels like it's bone-freezing cold.

Planit

Cyburbian
We're supposed to hit 60 today, but it was a pleasant 39 on the way in this morning.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had a white Christmas but, wow, it's supposed to get up to the mid 50's today! :-|

Just about all the snow is gone from the ground here on this side of the state. Now we are stuck with mud, ice, and dreariness. The sooner we get some more snow to cover up all the grey, the better.

Planit

Cyburbian
And while it is warm here today (Sunny with mid to upper 60's), the weather people are staying that we will get snow this weekend. One model has it being less than an inch, while another model says that it will be 10-12 inches. I predict 2.

Let's hope that it's snow and not the dreaded WINTRY MIX and ice.

Pegguy11

Cyburbian
It's really cold up here today. -30C(-21F) and -40 with the wind chill. The city's still recovering from having our snowiest December in a long time, 80cm (31in), and we just got 10cm (4in) last night. Gonna be a fun winter this year, especially now that our furnace has decided to act up.:not:

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
I have no idea what this "snow" thing is, but some of it is also being predicted for the ATL this weekend.

Regardless if there is any "snow" I-85/I-75 will be at a standstill. I hope you're working from home tomorrow.

We're supposed to get 1-3 inches, but we'll see. Now Downeast (that's what we call eastern NC here) they're projecting 8-12 inches. They'll be paralyzed for a week if that happens.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's cold. Got a few inches of snow too but nothing unreasonable.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Some parts of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California are expecting between 10 and 15 feet of snow over the next couple of days! :-c

I had some friends who once volunteered to go do some cold weather survival training at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in this area and when they returned the general consensus was that it was the absolute stupidest decision they had ever made. I don't think they were there during a time of 10'+ of snow in such a short time but it sounded like the snow just never ends out there this time of year. Plus, Marines are made for beaches and jungles and tropical climates, not mountains and snow and skis and high altitudes!

At least they usually had plenty of MREs with them so they didn't need to resort to cannibalism.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Regardless if there is any "snow" I-85/I-75 will be at a standstill. I hope you're working from home tomorrow.

Oh, yeah, I'll be working from home tomorrow, and I've told all my people to do the same.

We're supposed to get 1-3 inches, but we'll see. Now Downeast (that's what we call eastern NC here) they're projecting 8-12 inches. They'll be paralyzed for a week if that happens.

Yikes.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

The recent prediction here in the Triangle is 2-4 inches with a 15% chance that it would be more than 6 inches. If we get 6 inches, that is going to suck. This morning the brine was dry on the roads and my first thought was if we get any rain, we are screwed.

Thank goodness it is not going to start until later on Friday and will be done by mid Saturday.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Twenty degree temperature drop yesterday. While running errands yesterday at lunch I didn't need a jacket, but this morning it's below freezing and windy. Will struggle to get to 35 by midday. Supposedly no rain, but for :tx:down here:tx: this is COLD!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And so the forecast has changed. At my house, they are calling for more than 6 inches now. To make things crazier, it is going to drop below freezing later tonight and not get above freezing until Tuesday with possible negative temperatures overnight Sunday into Monday. :-c

I predict that everything will still be shut down on Monday... maybe Tuesday.

AG74683

Cyburbian

According to weather.gov, we are expected to get 3 to 5 tonight, and another 1-3 tomorrow.

According to weather.com, we are expected to get 5 to 8 tonight, and another 1-3 tomorrow.

My family is coming down tonight to celebrate my birthday (which is Sunday). I hope they don't get stranded here, mostly for my own sanity.

Planit

Cyburbian
EMS just sent out an alert for the area - we are looking at 3"-6" of snow beginning tonight and ending mid-day tomorrow.

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel area is expecting 6"-9" of snow

The south will be a clusterf*ck until Tuesday.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
EMS just sent out an alert for the area - we are looking at 3"-6" of snow beginning tonight and ending mid-day tomorrow.

I think I might have to buy another two loaves of bread at lunch.... I don't think we will eat it, but that is what people down here do.

Bubba

Cyburbian

It's been a bit warmer this morning than expected, so the models keep pushing the snow line north. We may end up with just a half inch of rain at Chez Bubba (which will then freeze on the ground :-@).

Planit

Cyburbian
I think I might have to buy another two loaves of bread at lunch.... I don't think we will eat it, but that is what people down here do.

and don't forget the milk. Those milk sandwiches are good from what I've heard but I've never had one.

As for me, I headed to the grocery store at lunch to make sure we have fixins for chili. And beer.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

and don't forget the milk. Those milk sandwiches are good from what I've heard but I've never had one.

As for me, I headed to the grocery store at lunch to make sure we have fixins for chili. And beer.

I went out earlier to get some stuff and ran into our state house member at the grocery store. He said that he doesn't consume milk or bread but he felt obligated to get both because that's what people do. Unfortunately, that's his logic for voting the way he does.

I still have to get some beer but I have some bourbon as plan b.

Richmond Jake

We're forecast to reach a high of 42 °F under sunny skies today. Tomorrow morning, 30 °F. Monday morning, 33 °F. :not:

Planit

Cyburbian
Started snowing last night around 9:00 pm. There was about 2" on the ground by the time we went to bed.

Woke up this morning with 8" of fluffy white stuff!!! There's still some light flurries. This is more than what was forecasted but I'm fine with that.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today

8o at 6:54 am No Windchill

Yesterday

5o at 6:54 am No Windchill

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We got an inch and a half of ice, then an inch or so of snow with the storm on Friday night into midday Saturday.

Currently it is 6 degrees at my house and while the main roads are ok, the back roads are ice rinks.

However, it is going to hit 70 on Friday!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
21 on the drive in this morning. Not much wind chill to speak of.