• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
I saw this morning on the Weather Channel that Duluth, MN (14) was warmer than Raleigh, NC (12).

The snow event is over & I made sure I took the Big Owl's advice on supplies.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We got an inch and a half of ice, then an inch or so of snow with the storm on Friday night into midday Saturday.

Currently it is 6 degrees at my house and while the main roads are ok, the back roads are ice rinks.

However, it is going to hit 70 on Friday!

What an annoying storm. I've never seen the weather reports be so incorrect before. Even weather.gov was way off. Everything said "no significant accumulation of ice". My BUTT! My power went off around 7 AM Saturday, didn't come back on till close to noon. I have multiple large tree limbs down in the back yard too. Very little snow which was a huge bummer. Oh well. 2 hour delay today at work though.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I saw this morning on the Weather Channel that Duluth, MN (14) was warmer than Raleigh, NC (12).

The snow event is over & I made sure I took the Big Owl's advice on supplies.

I am scratching bread and milk from my list. From here on out it's bourbon, beer, and a sled. I didn't eat any milk sandwiches but I consumed plenty of beer and bourbon before and after sledding.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What an annoying storm. I've never seen the weather reports be so incorrect before. Even weather.gov was way off. Everything said "no significant accumulation of ice". My BUTT! My power went off around 7 AM Saturday, didn't come back on till close to noon. I have multiple large tree limbs down in the back yard too. Very little snow which was a huge bummer. Oh well. 2 hour delay today at work though.

That is funny, because they were calling for 6 to 9 inches of white stuff, but we got a crap load of freezing rain and about an inch of top dressing. The roads are still a mess and I fear that tonight and tomorrow morning will be a big mess. The sun melted some of the ice on the secondary roads causing them to get wet, and tonight it will be about 14 degrees. Which means that tomorrow is going to be a black ice skating rink on everything but the freeways.

I would have rather gotten the snow than the ice.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That is funny, because they were calling for 6 to 9 inches of white stuff, but we got a crap load of freezing rain and about an inch of top dressing. The roads are still a mess and I fear that tonight and tomorrow morning will be a big mess. The sun melted some of the ice on the secondary roads causing them to get wet, and tonight it will be about 14 degrees. Which means that tomorrow is going to be a black ice skating rink on everything but the freeways.

I would have rather gotten the snow than the ice.

That's what made me so mad about the whole thing. There was no real warning. I was concerned that my power would be out for quite a while because I was thinking Duke may not have mobilized enough folks because they didn't call for damaging ice (turns out that was not true, as I had 3 large Mastec trucks and a hand full of Duke Progress trucks outside my driveway for a half hour).

We went to dinner last night, about a half hour away. The interstates were actually much worse than the back road local highways. The interstate on/off ramps were a mess.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The forecast was for about 3" to 5" of snow starting yesterday evening through early this morning. We got the 5" of snow... but it didn't start coming down until after about 4:00 a.m. The roads were a mess this morning. Our daughter's bus was about 20 minutes late too.

Planit

Cyburbian
The forecast was for about 3" to 5" of snow starting yesterday evening through early this morning. We got the 5" of snow... but it didn't start coming down until after about 4:00 a.m. The roads were a mess this morning. Our daughter's bus was about 20 minutes late too.

That would have shut our schools down for 2 days...wait it did! Our snow started Friday evening and finished Saturday before noon. They plowed the streets during & after it snowed.
Just got the official email from the school system that they are back on normal operating schedule tomorrow. YIPPEE!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That would have shut our schools down for 2 days...wait it did! Our snow started Friday evening and finished Saturday before noon. They plowed the streets during & after it snowed.
Just got the official email from the school system that they are back on normal operating schedule tomorrow. YIPPEE!

Because the snow came so late it made it pretty hard for the road crews to get out ahead of the traffic so I was surprised there weren't more school closings here. Basically, all the districts just to the north of ours were closed while those to the south were open (once you got about 10 miles further south, there wasn't nearly as much snow though either so nearly everything in Detroit itself was open). I had gone to the gym in the morning and drove home afterwards to help get my daughter ready for school before I went to work and usually it's about a 5 minute drive from the gym to my house but it took me about 20 minutes. I knew it was going to be a bad morning.

The school superintendent lives about 4 houses down from us. I should have gone and spun out in front of his house to make him think the roads were really bad and encourage him to close the district! ;)

By around noon the temps were already back up into the 40s and it was pouring rain. It was really a mess and ugly out there. Later in the afternoon and evening the winds picked up and we could hear them howling all night long. It was windy enough that one of my big heavy planters, which probably weigh at least 60lbs with all their dirt and winter greenery, had gotten knocked over in our front walkway last night and when I got to the office this morning a bunch of the benches that sit outside had been pushed across the sidewalks and parking lots and were piled up in the treeline.

One thing we never seem to do around here is have a delayed start for weather but yesterday would have really been a good day for it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you'd like some weather amusement, download WTForecast app. Make sure you edit the settings in the app for "Swearing: All the time". You will not be disappointed.

Planit

Cyburbian
Hey you flyover states people - hope you don't get too much ice this weekend. Stuff is nasty to maneuver through.

Planit

Cyburbian
It's supposed to get up to 70 here today (yesterday topped out at 67), We just had 8" of snow last weekend!

kms

Cyburbian
66 yesterday; mid 30's today. Back toward 50's next week.

All of my coats are in my car.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Hey you flyover states people - hope you don't get too much ice this weekend. Stuff is nasty to maneuver through.

You simply hunker down and hope you don't lose power. Thankfully it is supposed to warm up to above freezing Monday.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The forecast high today is 75 °F. Should be warm enough to lay by teh pool and read a book. :h:

TOFB

Cyburbian
I didn't think the big ice storm was going to amount to much and I was right. At least from where I'm at.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been raining steadily since Monday morning (alternating between freezing rain and rain) and then it cooled down enough to start freezing late last night. I was coming home from the gym around 11:00 p.m. and thought to myself that if it stays like this, there will be no school tomorrow. Low and behold when I woke up I saw the emails/text from the district that we are closed for the day so my daughter gets a 4 day weekend. It looks like nearly every district in the region is closed today.

It was icy enough that when I opened the garage to pull my Jeep out, it basically slid all the way across the driveway. I thought I was going to end up in my neighbor's yard. It's still raining pretty hard here now and the ground is frozen solid so there's a lot of standing water on the roads and the parking lots and many of the ditches and creeks are looking pretty high.

DVD

Cyburbian

Doom and gloom all weekend over the huuuge ice storm. We got some rain. I hear it was worse about an hour south of me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bizarre bizarre weather. Two weeks in the middle of January with no snow on the ground? Hell, they're calling for temps in the MID 50's this weekend 8-!

Seems like these sorts of seasonal anomalies are occurring with increasing frequency as I get older.

TOFB

Cyburbian
No snow here after a pretty snowy December. Unusual but not rare. I expect we make up for it in Feb/March.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Mid 50s on Saturday here in Chicago. Good weather for a bike ride, winds coming from the south so I'll head north...

Pegguy11

Cyburbian
Super unseasonably warm here. Like +2C, cant wait for all of what's melting now to freeze on Monday....

Richmond Jake

74°F, 89% Humidity, Wind Speed S 16 mph, and under a tornado watch until 2:00 pm CST.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Another day in January with no snow on the ground and temps above freezing. It bugs me when coworkers and customers say "isn't this weather great?" If it weren't a symptom of something seriously wrong with the climate, maybe I'd be inclined to agree.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the 50s here all weekend and foggy. So. Very. Foggy.

Saturday evening I was in the kitchen making dinner and I was looking out the front window and I could literally see the fog just rolling in. Sunday afternoon I was up on the roof taking down the last of the Christmas lights and couldn't see the house across the street because it was still so foggy. It was so dreary and soggy and gross all weekend.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Another day in January with no snow on the ground and temps above freezing. It bugs me when coworkers and customers say "isn't this weather great?" If it weren't a symptom of something seriously wrong with the climate, maybe I'd be inclined to agree.

Record high for January 21 was 62 in 1906. Though on a related note I want to say the official readings are done at O'Hare now which wouldn't of been the case 100 years ago.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Mark Twain was right: everybody complains about the weather but no one does anything about it. It's about time for me to do something about this disturbing lack of snow for a prolonged period in the middle of winter.....That's right, I'm going to bring home the pair of winter boots I keep conveniently at work. You watch, snow will begin within 24 hours!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Mark Twain was right: everybody complains about the weather but no one does anything about it. It's about time for me to do something about this disturbing lack of snow for a prolonged period in the middle of winter.....That's right, I'm going to bring home the pair of winter boots I keep conveniently at work. You watch, snow will begin within 24 hours!

I've had a snow shovel leaning against the house on the front porch since a big snowstorm a few weeks before Christmas and yesterday my wife told me that maybe I should put it back in the garage. I told her it was my insurance policy to not actually need to use it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Low and behold, I had to do nothing more than threaten to take my boots home to make it work. Now they're calling for snow on Thurs, Fri, and Sat.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Low and behold, I had to do nothing more than threaten to take my boots home to make it work. Now they're calling for snow on Thurs, Fri, and Sat.
Some "snow" :r: Got a couple inches mostly Friday morning. Harrumph. In fairness I didn't actually bring my winter boots home so maybe the weather gods are testing me.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yesterday's high here was in the upper 40s with wind, but just up the mountain they got 4" of new powder.

Tomorrow we'll be back in the high 60s for 2 days, then back into the 40s again.

Richmond Jake

Currently 73°F under a cloudless sky. I'm off to the pool deck to read a book. :h:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's about 40º here right now and it's supposed to be up in the mid 50s this weekend. Maister is right about it being the winter that wasn't. For those of us who enjoy playing in the snow it's been disappointing here in most of Michigan.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Sunny, nice afternoon temps, cold overnight. Rain in the forecast - must be close to springtime.

AG74683

Cyburbian
This weather is very disconcerting to me. It's too warm this early in the year. These average temperatures are closer to what we see in April. It just feels weird, ominous maybe. I really hope this summer isn't blistering because my heat pump needs all the help it can get. I can't afford to replace it any time soon and it's definitely on the last legs.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This weather is very disconcerting to me. It's too warm this early in the year. These average temperatures are closer to what we see in April. It just feels weird, ominous maybe. I really hope this summer isn't blistering because my heat pump needs all the help it can get. I can't afford to replace it any time soon and it's definitely on the last legs.

We've got several consecutive 50 plus degree days predicted this week. The fruit farmers have to be freaking out about now. We may be facing catastrophic loss of blossoms before spring ever arrives.

Planit

Cyburbian
That 'week' of winter was a long time ago. It's be very pleasant and looks to continue. I was in shorts & t-shirt @ 5:00 yesterday washing my car...in mid-February. Everything is starting to bloom too.

However I lived here long enough to know there will be a serious cold spell sometime in March just to mess with everything. AG, you know this to be true as well. I bet it will be a very hot summer too.

AG74683

Cyburbian
However I lived here long enough to know there will be a serious cold spell sometime in March just to mess with everything. AG, you know this to be true as well. I bet it will be a very hot summer too.

That's usually when the big March snows happen. I know we had the big 1994(?) storm and the more recent 2000ish storm happen under similar circumstances.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday evening I took my kids for a walk and noticed that most of the maple trees in our neighborhood have started to bud out already. I was looking around our flower beds when I got back from the walk, and based on the warm streak we've had lately, I was sort of surprised that I didn't have any tulips or crocuses poking up through the ground yet.