• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
60 & rainy today
70 & sunny tomorrow
78 & sunny on Friday

I think there's been a week of winter this year.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
For our southern members, this probably won't seem all that odd, but I saw a dogwood tree in full bloom on my drive to the office this morning, February 23, 2017. Even for southern Indiana, that's just nuts.8-!

Bubba

Cyburbian
For our southern members, this probably won't seem all that odd, but I saw a dogwood tree in full bloom on my drive to the office this morning, February 23, 2017. Even for southern Indiana, that's just nuts.8-!

Geez, my two dogwoods aren't even really budding yet. I haven't even noticed any Bradford Pears in full bloom, and they're generally the first ones out. We have had out daffodils up and in full bloom for a couple of weeks now, though...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday evening I took my kids for a walk and noticed that most of the maple trees in our neighborhood have started to bud out already. I was looking around our flower beds when I got back from the walk, and based on the warm streak we've had lately, I was sort of surprised that I didn't have any tulips or crocuses poking up through the ground yet.

After looking yesterday, I noticed the tulips and crocuses have sprung up about an inch and the hyacinths are suddenly about 4" high. 8-!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Geez, my two dogwoods aren't even really budding yet. I haven't even noticed any Bradford Pears in full bloom, and they're generally the first ones out. We have had out daffodils up and in full bloom for a couple of weeks now, though...

We've had a very mild winter. I just checked on the nasty Bradford Pears outside our building and they are just beginning to turn white. Supposed to hit 83F tomorrow which would shatter the previous high for February of 78F. Strong thunderstorms are supposed to move through tomorrow night.

It couldn't be global climate change. The President says that's a Chinese hoax and we know he doesn't lie.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
In the 60s yesterday and today. I'll take it! But I know that there is still more winter to come.

Saw my first live groundhog yesterday. :)

Saw my first dead groundhog today. :'(

Different groundhogs.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Weird to look outside and see all white. Weird to think it is weird to think that in February.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1 pm Friday 24 - 77 degrees
1 pm Saturday 25 - 39 degrees wind chill 31

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
weather briefing email

The National Weather Service has put our Area under a Moderate Risk for Severe Weather with Primary concern after Midnight.

The outlook and models are showing the main threat between 1-6 am. The Weather service is concerned about overnight Tornadoes, Hail, wind and wind shear concerns.

The National Weather Service is asking all to monitor the weather radio especially after midnight. They will do another briefing this afternoon at 3 pm.

They likened this event to similar tornado outbreak that occurred in 2012 which caused severe damage in the Ohio Valley Region and a destructive Tornado that hit Harrisburg Illinois.

That is not a good comparison to Harrisburg, Illinois 2012 = EF 4, Ave. Width - 275 yards, Track Length T - 26.5 Miles, 8 dead
http://www.weather.gov/media/pah/Top10Events/2012/Harrisburg EF4 tornado Feb 29 2012.pdf

:-o

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I guess I'm buying a weather radio on the drive home tonight from PC meeting. The March 2, 2012 storm was an EF-4, on the ground for 49 miles, up to a half mile wide. Killed a bunch of people. It was so loud, the IndyStar reported a deaf guy heard the twister.8-!

Planit

Cyburbian
About 5:15pm we had a strong wind, heavy downpour, pea to marble size hail come through. It lasted about 15 minutes and was gone.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I guess I let the ex keep the weather radio, so I went out looking to purchase one and could not find one for sale after shopping four places locally. I ended up borrowing one we had at the office. It went off just before 6AM Wednesday morning. We had an EF-2 west of us and straight line winds east of us. Thankfully, no damage or injuries locally.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's been warm enough these last couple weeks that my lawn is actually a pretty vibrant green already. Usually this time of year it would still be the horrible dirt brown and ash grey color that it turns into over the winter and would stay that way for at least another month or so.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This morning my wife sent me a video of one of our big pine trees swaying in the wind and was scared it was going to come down. I told her not to worry...

So of course now that tree is down. I really liked that tree too! A nice 60'+ red pine in the back corner of our yard that I had put some nice gardens around. :(

We also now have a cable/phone line dangling to the ground (unrelated to our tree that came down) and when I was home at lunch to look at the damage the fire department came and told me to go back inside or at least out of my backyard because another tree came down a few houses away and it knocked down an electric line which landed on a fence and all of the fences are connected so there's a few thousand volts going through them all. 8-!

It's a bit windy out there!

TOFB

Cyburbian
So damn windy today a bandit sign saying SARA BUYS ANY HOUSE blasted into my windshield. Ironic

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife's not home and I just got a frantic call from my 90-year-old neighbor saying he heard a bunch of cracking and looked outside and could no longer see our house. I'm dreading going home to see what damage there is.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My wife's not home and I just got a frantic call from my 90-year-old neighbor saying he heard a bunch of cracking and looked outside and could no longer see our house. I'm dreading going home to see what damage there is.

So what happened?

They are forecasting SNOW here on Sunday, 1-3 inches. IIRC, this exact same prediction around this exact same time resulted in one of the worst snow storms to ever hit this area, somewhere in the neighborhood of over a foot of snow in the early 2000's.

Planit

Cyburbian
So what happened?

They are forecasting SNOW here on Sunday, 1-3 inches. IIRC, this exact same prediction around this exact same time resulted in one of the worst snow storms to ever hit this area, somewhere in the neighborhood of over a foot of snow in the early 2000's.

I remember that storm. We got 16" that day.

This time the high later in the day is supposed to be 50. Regardless I'll be inside watching basketball.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So what happened?

As far as I can tell... the pine tree that was coming down was sort of being held up by a large maple tree and the noises my neighbor heard was the cracking of some very large limbs from the maple tree giving way and the pine tree hitting the ground the rest of the way. So now we have a 60' pine tree laying across our backyard and it took out one entire side of the canopy of a very wide, equally tall maple tree (the maple tree has about a 2' diameter, so it's a pretty good size). When all of that came down, it also completely took out a few smaller maple trees (diameters of 4" to 8") and more limbs from another large maple tree.

When the trees came down, they completely took out the rest of the cable/phone lines running to the house. However, we never lost cable or internet service from that so I am hoping that AT&T can just remove the lines altogether since I didn't like where they were anyway and always wanted to see about getting them buried.

When the big pine tree and the maple trees came down, they thankfully somehow avoided the electric lines that run through our property, and although about a million households in the area lost power (our biggest storm-related power outage in 25 years), our house never lost service. FWIW, there are so many outages that we eventually did lose cable and internet because the AT&T substations in the area have no power and there are so many of there big lines down as well.

The trees also brought their root systems out of the ground with them so I have a massive mess of dirt and roots in our yard, including one spot that is probably a 10' tall root system and a massive hole in the ground next to it. That one tore up part of the chain link fence on that side of the yard, but I think that it's completely salvageable, which is a good thing since it's a very nice fence (as far as chain link goes) and I believe it's original to the house from the 1950s. Thankfully the big trees and limbs also completely avoided the house and roof and windows and the big stone patio and sitting walls we put in last spring. Now I have to wait for AT&T to come fix/remove their lines before I can call a tree service to come start cleaning up. Once the trees get cleaned up, I'll have to assess how much damage has been done to the ground and the lawn. We always had pretty good canopy coverage back there but it's taken a pretty big hit. If we have to remove the big maple tree there will be a lot more open sun and water getting to the yard. In the past, we always had trouble getting grass to grow in certain spots because of all the trees. If it's all opened up now, I might use this as an opportunity to re-level and re-sod the entire yard (or at least a very large section of it). I wish we had done that when we moved in but now I might really have no choice.

Power lines are down everywhere, huge swaths of the area have no electricity, there are so many traffic lights out on the arterial roads.... the area is a mess. I'm grateful we didn't have any structural damage as there are quite a few houses that didn't fare so well and I saw a lot of disaster response contractors out working in our neighborhood putting up tarps and plywood and patching roofs nice and early this morning.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I feel bad for my SE Michigan friends. It is amazing how many trees came down.

I am not looking forward to waking up on Sunday morning. If we get 6-inches, we are heading farther south and moving in with RJ and ZG. I hope they like kids!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There are still so many without power in the area that the local utility took their interactive outage map offline since it kept crashing. Many of the folks aren't expected to get their power back until Sunday.

Yesterday after work I went for a walk through our neighborhood and saw a lot more trees down than I realized. There are quite a few residential streets in the area that are closed altogether because there are still so many trees and power lines across them. Walking around you can hear a constant hum from all the generators.

Now the temps are supposed to drop back down to the teens for the next couple days. The community I live in is actually opening a warming center because so many folks might not have power or heat or hot water.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the NWS Paducah, KY

FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM CST
SATURDAY...

* TEMPERATURE...
Mid 20s along the I-64 corridor to around 30 near the border region of southeast Missouri.

* IMPACTS...
The forecast temperatures will likely damage fruit trees, especially those trees that have already budded out such as peach trees.
Other plants that are similarly ahead of schedule for the spring growing season could also be impacted.
Please take precautions to protect any sensitive plants.
The cold nights will likely continue well into next week.

they also are saying -

A decent chance for light snow is forecast for Saturday into Saturday evening.
Minor accumulations will be possible, mainly on elevated and grassy surfaces.

When ever they say "minor accumulations" be wary ? ;)

Planit

Cyburbian
Official announcement from our County EMS:

Watches and Warnings:
Freeze Warning in effect on Saturday, March 11th from 1 AM TO 9 AM.

Forecast:
Low pressure is expected from Texas moving southeast across the Gulf Coast states this weekend and then out into the Atlantic early next week.
• Precipitation is expected to develop Saturday night and continue into Sunday morning. It appears the western North Carolina mountains and foothills, plus locations east along the I40 corridor, have the greatest threat of snow accumulation.
• Early snowfall estimates suggest 4 to 6 inches in parts of the North Carolina mountains, and parts of the foothills, with 2 to 3 inches east along the I40 corridor toward Statesville. Lesser amounts elsewhere.
• Although temperatures will be warmer on Sunday afternoon much colder temperatures with freezing and refreezing issues possible going into Sunday and Monday nights.

So its all just a wait and see what comes out of the sky Sunday. Regardless, I'll be watching basketball.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
6 days after the wind storm and the houses on the block across the street from mine still have no power (there are roughly 200,000 homes in the area still without). Today we are supposed to get 3"-5" of snow. My pine tree is still taking up all of my backyard and I still have telephone/cable lines on the ground too. AT&T crews are so far behind, and because our neighborhood still has phone service, we are a pretty low priority to get those lines fixed.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I feel for all of you in the Midwest and Northeast. These late season storms suck and I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Planit

Cyburbian
National League of Cities conference is in Washington DC this week. Guess who's getting snow? Our manager said they hope to get home Thursday.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Husband is out of town. We got over 30" of snow yesterday and It is snowing again today. The neighbor has been nice enough to snowblow part of the driveway and the sidewalk/front walk. But the cars need to be cleaned off. Itty Bitty is not a fan of the cold and the snow but she isn't old enough to be left alone inside for an extended amount of time. So that means she has to find something to do while I brush off the car. Yesterday I made her go outside for 5 minutes. She screamed and sobbed the entire time. Guess it is time for her to build some character.

Meanwhile in Phoenix... it hit 90 yesterday and will be low 90s for highs all this week. Unseasonably warm even for here (usually it's 70s this time of year).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Meanwhile in Phoenix... it hit 90 yesterday and will be low 90s for highs all this week. Unseasonably warm even for here (usually it's 70s this time of year).

I too would happily take the 90s. I already generally despise the weather this time of year but we've had some really crazy weather patterns the past 6 weeks or so (70s for a few days, followed by rainy 40s, followed by 60s, followed by snow and 20s, followed by wind, now single digit temps...) and I'm now definitely ready for spring to get here and stay, but summer sounds nice too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I too would happily take the 90s. I already generally despise the weather this time of year but we've had some really crazy weather patterns the past 6 weeks or so (70s for a few days, followed by rainy 40s, followed by 60s, followed by snow and 20s, followed by wind, now single digit temps...) and I'm now definitely ready for spring to get here and stay, but summer sounds nice too.
I don't know if you got hit with the snow early this week but it's not like a normal March. I mean we're not mortally sick of snow because it's been almost two months since we had any lasting accumulation. Plus, the number of days in 50's this year is already in double digits. I'm just not as sick of winter as I normally am this time of year.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I don't know if you got hit with the snow early this week but it's not like a normal March. I mean we're not mortally sick of snow because it's been almost two months since we had any lasting accumulation. Plus, the number of days in 50's this year is already in double digits. I'm just not as sick of winter as I normally am this time of year.

We got the snow Monday morning. It started coming down as I was leaving to go to the gym around 5:00 a.m. and by 7:00 when I left there were already about 4" on my Jeep. Combined with many traffic lights still being out because of the windstorm the previous week, the commute was not fun that day. :not: The temps have plummeted since Monday evening.

Speaking of the windstorm - it's now been more than a full week and some of our neighbors are still without power and we have a bunch of pretty large trees down blocking many of the roads in our neighborhood. I was reading in the paper today about the few remaining pockets of homes without power (I think it said there were about 5,000 of them around the region, down from 800,000 without power last Wednesday) and the article singled out an area in my community that sounds like the block across the street from me. They have multiple poles down, there is no proper easement for access, and the utility crews have to physically drag all of their equipment about 1,000 yards (including down and back up through a big ravine). There are only about 8 or 9 homes on that block and 2 are empty and 1 is under construction so I can understand from a triage standpoint why they are not a top priority, but I still feel for them.

The inconsistency of the weather these last few weeks has made me more sick of winter than I normally am.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Outside heat index now at 78 - no A/C in closed climate controlled bldg - my office is up on the 3rd floor

Can you say Hot & Stuffy. where is the I am uncomfortable smilie ?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Meteorological Versus Astronomical Seasons
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

the vernal or spring equinox on or around March 21
the summer solstice falls on or around June 21
the autumnal equinox on or around September 22
the winter solstice on or around December 22

meteorological spring includes March, April, and May
meteorological summer includes June, July, and August
meteorological fall includes September, October, and November
meteorological winter includes December, January, and February

Bubba

Cyburbian
Hitting 80 degrees in the ATL today - should make for a nice lunch outdoors somewhere around my office. Also a good chance of violent thunderstorms later this afternoon when I'm walking to MARTA. Win some, lose some.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Hitting 80 degrees in the ATL today - should make for a nice lunch outdoors somewhere around my office. Also a good chance of violent thunderstorms later this afternoon when I'm walking to MARTA. Win some, lose some.

Make that a high of 87 yesterday, and the violent thunderstorms with 60 mph winds didn't hit until about 8:20 last night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was fair and 75 last Fri afternoon. Keep in mind this was on March 24th! (a time when 48 would be a more normal afternoon high temp)

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a fairly substantial thunderstorm last night about 1:30 am. Our dog is afraid of storms and was pacing around the house the entire time. There was a very close lightening strike and the thunder shook the house. The weirdest thing was we had set the dishwasher to run overnight (that usually when we run it) and when I got up to check outside, I heard the dishwasher running, along with the rain pouring and I thought that a window had blown out or something because I heard water running inside. I was awake for another hour.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got to around 70 yesterday. Was very windy. Supposed to get up to 70 today but with rain.