• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So before the Memorial Day weekend the forecasters were saying rainrainrain Sunday and Monday. Accordingly, I scaled recreational activity plans way back. Naturally, we didn't get a drop of rain the entire weekend:-{

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Mostly cloudy, 90.7 °F, Feels Like 102 °F. Distant thunder drove us inside from the pool deck.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Ugh!

Needles%20Forest%202017-06-20_zpsufuhkptr.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ I have some friends that just got sent to Twentynine Palms last week. It's already a pretty miserable place but judging by their recent Facebook posts, it's been extra miserable lately.

DVD

Cyburbian
I read the accuweather site for Phoenix yesterday and it said 119, very hot. Thank you for telling me that 119 is very hot. I wouldn't have figured that out by myself.

Richmond Jake

Florida panhandle conditions:

Flash Flood Watch until June 21, 07:00 PM CDT
High Surf Advisory until June 22, 07:00 PM CDT
Coastal Flood Advisory until June 21, 07:00 PM CDT
Rip Current Statement until June 23, 01:00 AM CDT
Tornado Watch in effect from June 20, 10:20 PM CDT until June 21, 10:00 AM CDT
Flash Flood Warning in effect from June 21, 08:57 AM CDT until June 21, 12:00 PM CDT
Special Marine Warning until June 21, 09:30 AM CDT

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My niece and her boyfriend are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada (at least, that's the plan). They began about three weeks ago at the Mexico border and hiked through the day their first day. They didn't make that mistake again. Since then, they've started earlier in the morning, found shade for the midday, and then recommenced in the late afternoons into the night. They are averaging about 20 miles a day.

They have reached the LA vicinity (approx 450 miles on the trail so far), and have left the trail to stay with friends until the terrible heat, hopefully, breaks.

As they say, only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.:D

And we are watching Cindy with a wary eye on possible training of heavy rain. Living in a valley has its issues.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's currently about 70º and sunny here with a nice breeze in Metro Detroit so I'm going to walk to the frozen custard stand for my lunch.

My niece and her boyfriend are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada (at least, that's the plan). They began about three weeks ago at the Mexico border and hiked through the day their first day. They didn't make that mistake again. Since then, they've started earlier in the morning, found shade for the midday, and then recommenced in the late afternoons into the night. They are averaging about 20 miles a day.

They have reached the LA vicinity (approx 450 miles on the trail so far), and have left the trail to stay with friends until the terrible heat, hopefully, breaks.

That sounds like they are making pretty good time! 20 miles a day hiking seems good to me (as somebody who has never really hiked anything outside of forced marches in the Marine Corps).

When we bought our house our Realtor was planning on retiring right after our closing and she and her husband were headed out to hike that trail. She said it would be something like their 20th time doing it over the years, though sometimes they would just do some big segment instead of the entire trail. One day I was surfing through LinkedIn and my Realtor popped up in the suggested connections section and it appears she is now working as a park ranger somewhere in CA north of Redding. I guess they decided to stay out there for the long haul.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Feels like 120% humidity in the ATL today. Oppressive.

I have a hard time disassociating the word "oppressive" from Atlanta in any way, be it the weather, violent crime, suburban sprawl, over development, air pollution, noise pollution, construction, traffic, etc

Bubba

Cyburbian
I have a hard time disassociating the word "oppressive" from Atlanta in any way, be it the weather, violent crime, suburban sprawl, over development, air pollution, noise pollution, construction, traffic, etc

The hate is gonna eat you up, bro. That, or turn you into Darth Vader Jr.

Richmond Jake

Current conditions just after 5:00 pm local time: Clear, 93.9 °F, Feels Like 113 °F

:not:

Richmond Jake

Nearly the same as yesterday at this hour: Mostly Cloudy, 93.2 °F, Feels Like 111 °F

Richmond Jake

Current conditions:

Clear. 90.6 °F. Humidity 69%. Feels Like 108 °F. Wind from SW at 4 k.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This has been an unusually dry summer for us. Very little rain.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Sitting in the business center at the Dayton airport, watching the end of a storm that blew through starting about 20 minutes ago, wondering how long my flight will now be delayed...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today NWS Paducah is predicting 40% cloud cover in the Madisonville, KY area for the eclipse.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This has been an unusually dry summer for us. Very little rain.

It's been a bit dry on this side of the state too but thankfully it hasn't been too hot. I think we've only one stretch of just a few days with temps in the 90s. The mornings for the past few weeks have been exceptionally pleasant in terms of the lack of humidity and mugginess.

Usually by this time in August, my front yard which receives little shade during most of the afternoon, is absolutely burned up to a crisp... it's actually still pretty green and soft and not full of crab grass this year.

TOFB

Cyburbian
0.25 inches of rain in the past 7 weeks, 4.5 inches in the past 4 hours and still pouring. Entirely normal.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It got up to freakin 90 yesterday! In the latter half of September.:-|

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It got up to freakin 90 yesterday! In the latter half of September.:-|

In the end of August and the first week or so of September our temps were in the 40s in the morning and weren't getting out of the 60s during the day. My wife even turned on the furnace a couple of times. I thought summer was over.

This week I've noticed that my neighbors who haven't yet closed their pools are still using them.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In the end of August and the first week or so of September our temps were in the 40s in the morning and weren't getting out of the 60s during the day. My wife even turned on the furnace a couple of times. I thought summer was over.

This week I've noticed that my neighbors who haven't yet closed their pools are still using them.

The high temps are predicted to continue through this weekend. Since the first day of fall is tomorrow I guess that technically makes it an 'Indian summer.'

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The high temps are predicted to continue through this weekend. Since the first day of fall is tomorrow I guess that technically makes it an 'Indian summer.'

It was definitely hot through the weekend with temps on my little home weather station reading above 90º each day. It was also extra humid and there was no breeze to speak of all weekend. I think "oppressive" is the word that comes to mind. It looks like we'll have more of the same today and tomorrow before we finally get a break and it begins cooling down. Yesterday's official high of 89º tied a record set in the 1891. Saturday's official high of 89º broke the previous record from 1937.

FWIW, the Detroit Public Schools are closing early this afternoon because of the heat (I imagine that many of their older buildings are on a centrally-controlled HVAC system and their AC has already been shut off for the fall) and have cancelled any after school activities for the day. This typically happens once or twice a year in various districts around here at the end of the school year but this is the first I can recall it happening at the start of the year.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
One more day, then we've got some relief coming as cooler temps move in on Weds.

I don't know where you live, but in Toledo, it's supposed to drop from a high in the 90s to highs in the 60s by Thursday, about 10 below normal. Why can't we just have some nice mid-70s temps? It's either 10-15F above normal of 10-15F below.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tuesday I cut my morning walk short because it was too hot and I was starting to sweat through my clothes (I was wearing linen trousers and a madras shirt). Today I cut my walk short because I was freezing and should have taken my jacket outside with me (I was wearing a flannel shirt and moleskin trousers). Oh what a difference 48 hours makes!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I don't know where you live, but in Toledo, it's supposed to drop from a high in the 90s to highs in the 60s by Thursday, about 10 below normal. Why can't we just have some nice mid-70s temps? It's either 10-15F above normal of 10-15F below.

That's where the averages come from. Actually I think the high is supposed to be low 70s in Chicago this afternoon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the NWS forecast -

Saturday - A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 7am
Saturday Night - Widespread frost, mainly after 5am. ..... with a low around 33
Sunday - Widespread frost, mainly before 9am
Sunday Night - Patchy frost after midnight. .... with a low around 35
Monday - Patchy frost between 8am and 9am

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm up early and outside most days well before 6:00 a.m. Today, December 1st, was the first time this fall that the lawns and windshields of people park on the street in our neighborhood were frosted over. I'm sure some of the areas further out and in less dense areas have had frost already but this is the latest I can remember it in my neighborhood. Gotta love that urban heat island effect!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We've got that damp, humid cold thing going right now. Temp wise, it's not that cold. However, the dampness makes it feel a lot colder.

Otis

Cyburbian
This weekend is supposed to be rainy, but all of next week is supposed to be sunny. A sunny week in December on the Oregon Coast is unheard of.:h::light::brofist::thumbsup::fl:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
December 7. Our first real snow of the year. There's an inch on the ground this morning and we're slated to get a couple more by Saturday. Winter is (un)oficially here.

Please note that snow on the ground in early December is charming and picturesque. One can hear sleigh bells in the distance and around every corner is a winter scene worthy of a Currier & Ives print.
Ask folks how they feel about snow in February and you're likely to get a different answer..

Bubba

Cyburbian
41 degrees with rain and sleet yesterday in the ATL; closer to 50 today for a high, and then colder on Friday with a chance of something called "snow" (I think that's the term the weatherpeople are using - not too sure what that is, though).