• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
December 7. Our first real snow of the year. There's an inch on the ground this morning and we're slated to get a couple more by Saturday. Winter is (un)oficially here.

Please note that snow on the ground in early December is charming and picturesque. One can hear sleigh bells in the distance and around every corner is a winter scene worthy of a Currier & Ives print.
Ask folks how they feel about snow in February and you're likely to get a different answer..

The weather guy is claiming that we will see snow flakes this weekend... Personally, I would not mind seeing snowflakes close to Christmas as long as I have a stocked fridge and no where to go. I can drive in the snow but there are tons of people here who can't.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can drive in the snow but [STRIKEOUT]there are tons of people[/STRIKEOUT] absolutely freakin' NOBODY else here can.
There, I fixed it for you. Bear in mind I have some experience with winter driving in your neck of the woods. Roads would get jammed up, folks would careen off the road, and accident pileups would occur every other mile or so with a mere inch of snow. The only people who didn't seem bent on the destruction of their companions on the road were the folks with out of state plates from places like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or New York.

kms

Cyburbian
There, I fixed it for you. Bear in mind I have some experience with winter driving in your neck of the woods. Roads would get jammed up, folks would careen off the road, and accident pileups would occur every other mile or so with a mere inch of snow. The only people who didn't seem bent on the destruction of their companions on the road were the folks with out of state plates from places like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or New York.

I was stranded in NC after a snow and ice event. I won’t even call it a storm. The TV stations only showed Myrtle Beach weather, and I had no idea what was happening north of where I was so that I could plan my drive from there. They plowed the roads with a grader.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was stranded in NC after a snow and ice event. I won’t even call it a storm. The TV stations only showed Myrtle Beach weather, and I had no idea what was happening north of where I was so that I could plan my drive from there. They plowed the roads with a grader.

Yes, let me hasten to add that the winter driving thing is not just a 'people down south are morons and people up north know what they're doing' thing. There are compelling reasons why a small snow event causes big problems down south. One, because snow events are relatively rare, there is reluctance to budget for snow removal equipment (and end up with road graders trying to do the job) or budget for things like salt and salt storage facilities. Also, it's not southern drivers fault that they have little or no experience with winter driving. Heck, the first snow or two up north often finds a RE-learning curve as even experienced drivers are reminded to increase breaking distances and do things like steer into the direction of a fishtail skid.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Re: Snow in The South - During the MLK weekend of 1999 we had a pretty good "snowstorm" when I lived on Lejeune and we received maybe 4 or 5 inches. There on the coast, it warmed up just enough pretty quickly and the snow was gone by the next day but closer to Raleigh, where they had received around a foot of snow, the temps didn't get up above freezing for quite a while and the communities just didn't have the infrastructure or equipment to deal with it. I remember watching the morning news each day and seeing that schools stayed closed for the entire week.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yes, let me hasten to add that the winter driving thing is not just a 'people down south are morons and people up north know what they're doing' thing. There are compelling reasons why a small snow event causes big problems down south. One, because snow events are relatively rare, there is reluctance to budget for snow removal equipment (and end up with road graders trying to do the job) or budget for things like salt and salt storage facilities. Also, it's not southern drivers fault that they have little or no experience with winter driving. Heck, the first snow or two up north often finds a RE-learning curve as even experienced drivers are reminded to increase breaking distances and do things like steer into the direction of a fishtail skid.

I'd agree with what you said. We don't have the equipment and further south you get, the less chance there is of getting snow. We are supposed to get some spitting snow, no accumulation. It's been 6-7 years since the last snow, though we had ice a couple of years back.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The weather gas gone from clear to overcast fairly quickly. The sky looks very wintry indeed, but snow showers are not in the forecast until Saturday. I love wintry skies.:D

Bubba

Cyburbian
...and then colder on Friday with a chance of something called "snow" (I think that's the term the weatherpeople are using - not too sure what that is, though).

Quick bit of sleet right at sunrise this morning, and now nothing, although the edge of a band of light snow looks to be about two miles from here.

Nice backtracking. :r: Did you steer into it? ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What is windchill really?

This morning it was 19 out and with the wind chill it was 4. I've said it before, but I would much rather experience the 4 degree temp with no wind than experience the warmer 19 WITH the wind. Does anyone feel otherwise?

Planit

Cyburbian
Rain has turned to a wintry mix turned now to snow. Nothing sticking...yet, but I think there'll be an inch or so when I wake up in the morning.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
24774829_10214827287057199_7743153038143426435_n.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
Snow has ended now & we have 3" on the ground. Very wet stuff as the temp stayed @ 34 all morning.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Snow has ended now & we have 3" on the ground. Very wet stuff as the temp stayed @ 34 all morning.

6.5" on the ground in north central metro Atlanta come Saturday morning, and we probably had areas in the yard that were closer to 10". Should get up to 50 degrees today with bright sun, and stay above freezing overnight. Roads were fine yesterday - for once we did not get the inch-thick layer of ice we usually get with snow in Georgia.

Planit

Cyburbian
- for once we did not get the inch-thick layer of ice we usually get with snow in Georgia.

If this had been a February snow and the temp stayed below freezing, we would have had the ice layer and been sliding all off the streets, schools would be closed for a week, et cetera. BTW-most bread was gone Friday evening at the local grocery store. This snow was very wet since the temp hovered around freezing while it came down and over night. Sledding was no good at all.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This weekend I made a last minute trip to Philadelphia with my FIL to go to the Army/Navy game. It snowed and it was miserable. The temps weren't too cold (maybe about 25º) and I was dressed fine for it but it was thick, heavy, wet snow and just not pleasant. At least we weren't in Buffalo for the Bills/Colts game on Sunday. That one looked like they were playing somewhere on Hoth. I was watching some of that game on TV and kept expecting to see somebody ride out on to the field on a Tauntaun.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I caught the second half of the Colts-Bills game Sunday after watching IU lose in OT in the College Cup.:not:

It was one of the most interesting bad games I've ever seen. The snow was 8" deep, not some dusting to an inch stuff. Stadium personnel periodically used snow blowers to clear the yard lines and hash marks. Teams could barely throw the ball and so running backs LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore (the ageless one) had monster games. Yet, it was a remarkable pass play that set up the winning TD. Wow.

No offense to our Great Leader, but I thought the offensive pass interference call on the 2-point conversion try was a ticky-tacky call. Still, I'm happy the Bills kept some playoff hopes alive with the "W".

Anybody remember the Fog Bowl between the Iggles and the Bears? That was a wild game, too.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The forecast is calling for somewhere between 5" and 9" of snow here today starting around 10:00 a.m. with the heaviest coming during the evening commute home. Since they are calling for between 5" and 9", it means we will likely get either 0.5" or about a foot and a half. ;) I'm expecting to be closer to the 0.5" of the spectrum.

That said, my snow brush and ice scraper broke last winter (it fell out of my Jeep in the garage and I must have drove over it) so I stopped by the grocery store on my way to work to buy a new one. The store was very busy at 7:00 a.m. with people stocking up. You'd think we've never had snow here in Metro Detroit.

I'm also hoping that if it really does start coming down hard during the afternoon, I'm hoping my employer will decide to allow us to leave early. In my 10+ years here, we've never had an official closing of the office because of the weather. Maybe today's the day?

Also if we get a lot of snow I told my daughter I'd take her sledding when I get home. She's decided that this year she's old enough to go to the big sledding hill in the town next door. I half expect her to get there and get to the top of the hill and chicken out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So we ended up with about 8 inches of fluffy snow for Christmas. I shoveled two driveways and can feel it today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got another inch or two of white fluffy stuff. Also, it was -2 this morning.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Isn't there somebody on here from Jamestown, NY - not far from Erie, PA where they just got slammed with nearly 5' of snow since Christmas Eve?

DVD

Cyburbian
We got a couple inches over Christmas, but the roads are all clear now. It's a nice 11 degrees so we're all complaining.

Otis

Cyburbian
It's sunny and about 45 degrees here. Our daffodils in the front yard started coming up a few days ago.

TOFB

Cyburbian
The current -6 F already feels like the typical dead of winter, no big deal kind of cold.

kms

Cyburbian
5 -F here. I’m sitting on the floor by the only sunny window I have this time of day. I’m going to enjoy this patch of sunlight for as long as I can.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Currently 6º and -8º with the windchill here in Metro Detroit.

Friday's high temp is forecast to be 3º.

I put my gym bag in my Jeep in the garage last night with my water bottle and when I got to the gym this morning it was frozen completely solid. FWIW, my Wrangler has nearly no insulation so it's always cold on the inside in the winter when it's not running, but still, it's not like it was actually outside!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We have a chance of snow tomorrow morning in our forecast. Highs in the 40's the rest of the week. :not: :-{

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We've had about two weeks worth of temps in the single digits. I suspect that's the case for a number of other Cyburbians out there.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Guess the thermometer reading this morning disproves global warming.

The only thing that annoys me more than uneducated folks making these kind of statements, is when educated folks (or even certain world leaders) - who should know better - make statements like that. I'm not sure if these folks are intentionally trying to misunderstand the difference between weather and climate or if it's a horrific example of wishful thinking on their part, but how do you combat such willful ignorance?

kms

Cyburbian
The school in south central NC where my daughter teaches announced early dismissal because of snow that’s forecast later.

Planit

Cyburbian
The school in south central NC where my daughter teaches announced early dismissal because of snow that’s forecast later.

They tend to get more ice & 'wintry mix' down that way too.

I'm going to talk to our friends on the coast this evening to see what they get.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
the place I house sit is on the top of a mountain so I am planning on working from home tomorrow - expecting 18" ugh

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
With the windchill it was close to -30º here this morning. Cold enough that most all of the schools in the area are closed today. Tomorrow is supposed to be equally cold.

I also saw in the newspaper that, on average, the Great Lakes are already 22% iced over. At this point the last few years, they've generally been less than 5% frozen over. The water levels on most of the lakes were quite a bit higher last summer compared to the past decade or so and I would imagine this could help get them a little higher again this coming spring and summer (since the increased ice, and so soon in the season, will block more lake water from evaporating than normal). We'll see.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The low tonight is supposed to be 5. That's pretty insane for my area, and it's been that low for like the last week or two. Kinda sucks. My electric bill will be through the roof for December.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Guess the thermometer reading this morning disproves global warming.

The only thing that annoys me more than uneducated folks making these kind of statements, is when educated folks (or even certain world leaders) - who should know better - make statements like that. I'm not sure if these folks are intentionally trying to misunderstand the difference between weather and climate or if it's a horrific example of wishful thinking on their part, but how do you combat such willful ignorance?

Then there's Al Gore being a complete moron stating that the cold is proof of climate change, when in his book he claimed that there would be no more snow. Making claims like that only make it easier for the anti-climate change folks to "prove" the conspiracy. Until Florida goes under water the vast majority of people are going to care less about the climate.