• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My dad's electric thermometer showed their recent low temp at -19º outside their house overnight from Saturday to Sunday. The thermometer at my house showed our low over the past 24 hours as -8º. It finally started to warm up a bit during the day yesterday and it's supposed to be up in the 30s over the next few days but we did still get a couple inches of heavy, wet snow this morning.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got 2-3" of heavy wet snow last night. There was enough slush at the base of the driveway I had to shovel it before backing out this a.m. It's supposed to get up to 40 today and 45 tomorrow (with rain expected), so that will probably reduce the amount of snow on the ground significantly.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We spent 13 consecutive days below freezing from Christmas eve through yesterday. Now we're looking at mid-60s on Thursday.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Awesome cold front blasting through Atlanta today - low 60s this morning, 20s tomorrow morning. :not:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was about 50º and rainy when I got up around 5:00 a.m. to go for a run. At 6:45 I had showered and walked up to the grocery store to buy some milk and OJ and it was down to around 40º and still raining. By the time I left for work an hour later it had dropped to 30º and there was a mix of freezing rain and snow. It's now about 9:00 and we have 2" of fresh snow on the ground in our office parking lot.

A guy I work with got his kids to school and was on his way to the office when he got a robocall from the district that they were now cancelling classes for the day and sending kids home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Scary drive in this morning. The temps got well into the 50's yesterday and it also rained. It continued to rain last night while the temps dropped down into the 20's thereby creating a thick sheet of ice on everything. To top it off a couple inches of powder fell which covers and conceals the sheet of ice on the roads. They're laying down all the salt they can now but there have already been quite a few fender benders this a.m.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Scary drive in this morning. The temps got well into the 50's yesterday and it also rained. It continued to rain last night while the temps dropped down into the 20's thereby creating a thick sheet of ice on everything. To top it off a couple inches of powder fell which covers and conceals the sheet of ice on the roads. They're laying down all the salt they can now but there have already been quite a few fender benders this a.m.

We had the cold in Ft Worth but it was a dry cold. Had some icy fog last night but no accumulation on the ground.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had two consecutive days in January where it got into the 40's and 50's. We've paid for that dearly ever since.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Not sure if this is "weather" related... but we had a meteor come through the area last night. I had just came in from shoveling off the front walk and putting my Jeep back in the garage and had sat down on the couch with my wife and heard a low grumbly bang that we could sort of feel (if you can imagine that noise) and my wife looked at me and we thought maybe something collapsed in the garage but it didn't really sound that close. I went into the garage to make sure but couldn't find anything wrong.

A while later I was scrolling through Facebook and somebody else in my area had posted asking if there had been an earthquake and others had responded that they felt something too and then a few more posted that they had been outside and actually saw it with a big flash of light.

The newspaper had some good surveillance videos of it - it really did light up the sky quite a bit. https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...-southeast-michigan-metro-detroit/1038911001/

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not sure if this is "weather" related... but we had a meteor come through the area last night. I had just came in from shoveling off the front walk and putting my Jeep back in the garage and had sat down on the couch with my wife and heard a low grumbly bang that we could sort of feel (if you can imagine that noise) and my wife looked at me and we thought maybe something collapsed in the garage but it didn't really sound that close. I went into the garage to make sure but couldn't find anything wrong.

A while later I was scrolling through Facebook and somebody else in my area had posted asking if there had been an earthquake and others had responded that they felt something too and then a few more posted that they had been outside and actually saw it with a big flash of light.

The newspaper had some good surveillance videos of it - it really did light up the sky quite a bit. https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...-southeast-michigan-metro-detroit/1038911001/
I may have seen that last night clear over on the other side of the state. We were driving back from an Italian restaurant a little after 8:00 p.m. and I pointed out to everyone in the car what I thought was fireworks. Huh.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of the articles I read this morning said the USGS has confirmed that the meteor caused a magnitude 2.0 earthquake in the area and NASA confirmed that the meteor was large enough and moving slowly enough that there are likely quite a few pieces of it that survived entry into the atmosphere and scattered around the region. Maybe I need to go rock hunting!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The forecast low for tomorrow morning is 22 °F, not counting windchill. :not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We ended up with just short of 6 inches of snow at my house. Parts of the area got over a foot. To make it more fun, it got down to 12 degrees early this morning so there was not much melting and while it will be above freezing today, it will be cold again tonight so everything will refreeze. At least the sun is out and there is not a cloud in the sky.

I am looking forward to the days of warmth again.

On a side note, some town in Russia recorded temps of almost -90 degrees F. That is cold!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This past weekend it was sunny and got up to the upper 40's. Temps promptly dropped back to a more normal 22 degree January temp this a.m. Also got a dusting of maybe an inch of powdery snow. They're calling for 1-3 more inches today and tonight.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This past weekend it was sunny and got up to the upper 40's. Temps promptly dropped back to a more normal 22 degree January temp this a.m. Also got a dusting of maybe an inch of powdery snow. They're calling for 1-3 more inches today and tonight.

They are calling for up to 4" on this side of the state through the day today. It started just around the time the morning commute really got going.

Saturday was in the low 50s and Sunday in the 40s. I took my youngest to the playground Saturday afternoon and she got good and muddy.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Beautiful day in the ATL today after a dreary rainy weekend - upper 50s this afternoon with blue skies. :h:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A few more inches of snow this morning and of course it started coming down right around the time that the morning rush hour begins. What fun!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's definitely winter. Temps have been in the upper teens and it has snowed a few inches almost every day for the past week

kms

Cyburbian
I stayed home today. It’s been raining since before I woke up, and temps are below freezing. The longer it rains, the thicker the ice on my car becomes.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They are predicting a Class 3 Killstorm for our area starting late tonight. I've seen snowfall forecasts anywhere from 3-6 inches up to over a foot... which probably means we'll get about 2".

One thing that seems a bit different this time is that Delta started cancelling flights for Friday back on Tuesday and they are up to a few hundred cancellations for tomorrow. I cannot recall a time recently when they started cancelling flights this far out in advance. I imagine that the airlines have some good weather modelers.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They are predicting a Class 3 Killstorm for our area starting late tonight. I've seen snowfall forecasts anywhere from 3-6 inches up to over a foot... which probably means we'll get about 2".

One thing that seems a bit different this time is that Delta started cancelling flights for Friday back on Tuesday and they are up to a few hundred cancellations for tomorrow. I cannot recall a time recently when they started cancelling flights this far out in advance. I imagine that the airlines have some good weather modelers.

They're calling for a foot of snow tonight in our neck of the woods. Looking at the radar and basing it on past experiences with lake effect snow, I'm thinking that sounds right on. I put chances of a snow day for Junior tomorrow right around 90% (given the prevalence of flu too)

TOFB

Cyburbian
Predicted garden variety snowstorm (8 inches) has arrived 4 hours early. Don't know what that means.

Planit

Cyburbian
Today we should get close to 60 degrees. This weekend will be a complete washout without dry weather until Wednesday.

Now where's my snorkel?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our snow started falling early early this morning and we've got about 3 or 4 inches so far. It's supposed to keep coming down until the early afternoon. We don't really have any wind or anything so it's not blowing or drifting. Schools started announcing their closures yesterday evening. The roads were absolutely empty on the way in this morning.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The temps have been up in the 40s and 50s for the past few days (and we reached about 65º yesterday!) but we've been getting quite a bit of rain. All that combined with a 12+" of melting snow and the still frozen ground and drains mean we have quite a bit of flooding in the area. I went for a run on a trail along a river that runs through town this morning and the water was really high and moving fast. Thankfully, the river in that spot always seems to move pretty well so the trail may get muddy, but it never completely floods. I'm always worried I'll start running down the trail and get halfway through it and then find it impassable so I'd have to turn around and backtrack out the entire distance (though it's really not that long, I just hate to backtrack).

There were a lot of roads closed due to flooding in Metro Detroit this morning.

Yesterday at lunch I was driving through an area with a lot of small lakes and with the high temps and ice still on the lakes the fog was very thick and just sitting there on top of the lakes. It was sort of eerie looking.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Ohio River is in flood stage and we are forecast to add another 4-6" of rain over the next couple days. Flood gates are being installed and pump stations are going on-line. It shouldn't get too bad so long as we don't get some heavy rain training over us.

This is the first extended wet period since I bought my house and I was somewhat surprised to see my yard quite as squishy as it is. I'll have to see how the yard recovers before I evaluate possible responses, all of which will probably just move the problem from one part of my yard to another.:-o

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Ohio River is in flood stage and we are forecast to add another 4-6" of rain over the next couple days. Flood gates are being installed and pump stations are going on-line. It shouldn't get too bad so long as we don't get some heavy rain training over us.

This is the first extended wet period since I bought my house and I was somewhat surprised to see my yard quite as squishy as it is. I'll have to see how the yard recovers before I evaluate possible responses, all of which will probably just move the problem from one part of my yard to another.:-o

I don't know where in the Ohio River Valley you are but there's probably still a lot of frost in the ground at this point in February so that's likely contributing to a lot of the squishiness. Other than moving to higher ground or digging a large trench around your property, there probably isn't really too much you can do for that as it will probably occur every spring.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I don't know where in the Ohio River Valley you are but there's probably still a lot of frost in the ground at this point in February so that's likely contributing to a lot of the squishiness. Other than moving to higher ground or digging a large trench around your property, there probably isn't really too much you can do for that as it will probably occur every spring.

Let's just say it was 80' here yesterday, so there's been no frost in the area for quite some time.:) I just want to get the water farther away from my foundation, if I need to.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The temp fell from like 70 to 40 in a matter of hours yesterday afternoon and we had pretty crazy thunderstorms and heavy rain. Today, it’s in the 30s, but supposed to go back into the 60s by the weekend on into next week. Lot of rain in the forecast. We need it though...it’s been a very dry fall and winter. The ground is so dry that the rainwater is just like ponding on top.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It feels like winter is fizzling out here in Detroit. The temps were in the 50s all weekend and, looking forward, it doesn't appear we will fall below about 45º during the day for the foreseeable future. More importantly, it feels and smells like spring outside which isn't always the case this time of year even when the temps are warm. We need a few big rainstorms to wash away all the dust and salt.

In related news, my tulips and hyacinths are starting to pop out of the ground but I don't see any crocuses or daffodils yet (though mine seemed to be dying off last spring and I think I may need to plant more this fall).

Even though flowers are starting to pop up, this is always my least favorite time of year because everything is so grey and dirty and dusty. Thankfully at least the sun is shining today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It feels like winter is fizzling out here in Detroit. The temps were in the 50s all weekend and, looking forward, it doesn't appear we will fall below about 45º during the day for the foreseeable future. More importantly, it feels and smells like spring outside which isn't always the case this time of year even when the temps are warm. We need a few big rainstorms to wash away all the dust and salt.

In related news, my tulips and hyacinths are starting to pop out of the ground but I don't see any crocuses or daffodils yet (though mine seemed to be dying off last spring and I think I may need to plant more this fall).

Even though flowers are starting to pop up, this is always my least favorite time of year because everything is so grey and dirty and dusty. Thankfully at least the sun is shining today.

The sun has not shone more than one time in the past 21 days....until this morning. All of a sudden I noticed it's light in the morning during my commute in.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The sun has not shone more than one time in the past 21 days....until this morning. All of a sudden I noticed it's light in the morning during my commute in.

Ah yes, the infamous grey days. One of the many things I do not miss about living up north

TOFB

Cyburbian
55 degrees not a cloud in the sky, calm winds. Easiest the nicest day of the year.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Been following the Beast from the East. I have friends in both England and Ireland who are totally FREAKING OUT

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was 60º the last few days. We're expecting 6+ of wet heavy snow today.

They said the same thing here. Turns out we got maybe an inch of really wet snow (2" flakes!) that's already gone. I'm guessing that was the second to the last snow we see for the season. I bet we get one more and it won't stick around for more than a day or two.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Anyone else in the mid-Atlantic area experiencing the crazy wind storm we're having? It started last night, and is supposed to continue into tomorrow morning. I have no idea how to describe it really. Just really strong winds. Schools in the area have closed. Our office has power, but nothing else around (even the businesses right beside us) does. We've had a ton of rain, and with the heavy winds, power lines are going down, trees, etc. I walked out of the house to see the neighbors disassembling a trampoline that had been picked up by the wind. It would've hit my car if there wasn't a church sign about 20 feet away that ended up stopping it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, this wind is pretty relentless. Many, many gust over 60 mph. Lots of debris everywhere and many trees and wires down.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They said the same thing here. Turns out we got maybe an inch of really wet snow (2" flakes!) that's already gone. I'm guessing that was the second to the last snow we see for the season. I bet we get one more and it won't stick around for more than a day or two.

We got about 5" of really heavy snow at our house, a few miles north near my office we probably got more than 8" and it was near whiteout conditions a few times in the afternoon when I was looking out the office windows. It stopped snowing early enough, and the roads were still warm enough, that the crews were able to clear things soon enough that there aren't many school closures today considering how much snow we got.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wind noise woke me up @ 4:00 this morning...followed by a series of sirens on the main road. Our electric crews were already out on calls this morning before 7:00 am.

Careful kjel, TT, dandy, LP, NH, Fearless Leader Dan and the rest of you northeast cyburbians today.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wind noise woke me up @ 4:00 this morning...followed by a series of sirens on the main road. Our electric crews were already out on calls this morning before 7:00 am.

Careful kjel, TT, dandy, LP, NH, Fearless Leader Dan and the rest of you northeast cyburbians today.

Wind blew my basement door open and set off the alarm, and we are in the "below 40 mph" area.