• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

kms

Cyburbian
Wind noise woke me up @ 4:00 this morning...followed by a series of sirens on the main road. Our electric crews were already out on calls this morning before 7:00 am.

Careful kjel, TT, dandy, LP, NH, Fearless Leader Dan and the rest of you northeast cyburbians today.

We had high winds overnight, but it's settled down.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Nor'easter has taken up residence over NYC/NJ. It's been a bunch of rain, wind, hail, and wet snow. Thankfully nothing is sticking. The shore areas are getting hammered because of the lunar high tide.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I think it will be an early spring and a hellacious allergy season here in the mid-Ohio Valley.

[Leaves to check the Zyrtec supply ...]

TOFB

Cyburbian
Sleet, rain, sleet, snow, rain, thunderstorm, sleet, rain, snow . . . all today since 8 am.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Decent snow storm headed to NJ/NY. Predictions are all over the place but I think 8-10" is what I will see. We likely won't be working and school will be cancelled.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
An inch of powder greeted me this morning. Strange, usually about this time of year I'm mortally sick of winter and despise the white stuff, but seeing it this morning didn't really phase me. That might have something to do with the fact that it'll probably be gone tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Every morning this week we've been greeted by an inch or so of powder.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Every morning this week we've been greeted by an inch or so of powder.

It snowed all day here yesterday, pretty hard at times and some reports said we'd get between 3 to 5 inches but it was just warm enough that it wasn't really sticking too much. I think we ended up with maybe an inch or two total.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It snowed all day here yesterday, pretty hard at times and some reports said we'd get between 3 to 5 inches but it was just warm enough that it wasn't really sticking too much. I think we ended up with maybe an inch or two total.

Just because you said this it started snowing again here. Thanks.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It's funny to me that working for local government for so long causes me to always think of snowstorms in dollars and cents. Fortunately we've come in under budget the last two winters.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
From February 26th:

It feels like winter is fizzling out here in Detroit. The temps were in the 50s all weekend and, looking forward, it doesn't appear we will fall below about 45º during the day for the foreseeable future. More importantly, it feels and smells like spring outside which isn't always the case this time of year even when the temps are warm. We need a few big rainstorms to wash away all the dust and salt.

In related news, my tulips and hyacinths are starting to pop out of the ground but I don't see any crocuses or daffodils yet (though mine seemed to be dying off last spring and I think I may need to plant more this fall).

Even though flowers are starting to pop up, this is always my least favorite time of year because everything is so grey and dirty and dusty. Thankfully at least the sun is shining today.

I was way off in my assessment that winter was fizzling out. :-@

I'm looking forward to being in Florida in a few days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm going on record as saying yesterday we saw our last snow of the season. Not even flurries going forward into spring.

DVD

Cyburbian
We could use some of those April showers a little early. We're in an all time drought.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Although there was snow on the ground this morning, I think all the ice is gone under my pool cover.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Maybe it's not 'weather' per se, but I noticed there was twilight in the eastern sky this morning on the drive into work.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
It was in the 80s down here in Texas over the weekend and I got quite a bit of sun being outside. We had some rain on St. Patty’s day in the evening though. We’re at the point where the high will typically be anywhere from 65-85. Nice to finally enjoy a real spring, unlike the 40s & 50s crap with a couple 60s-70s teaser days sprinkled in until May like I remember in the Midwest.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Shut up.

We're going to Sanibel in May. Hopefully it will have stopped snowing here by that time.

I'm so jealous! I spent two weeks in May for many, many years visiting Sanibel. That is such a great time to go. Have a great time.

Bubba

Cyburbian
20+ mph sustained winds in Atlanta this afternoon - with this being the beginning of the pine pollen season, the yellow clouds should be entertaining. :not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am happy that I don't live in the north-east anymore. This weekly nor'easter stuff is getting ridiculous.

kms

Cyburbian
It's been snowing pretty heavily here since 8:00 last night. I let everyone who made it here today go home at noon. The phones aren't ringing, because most people didn't go to work. I didn't see any sense in letting them sit here all day thinking about how bad their commute was going to be. At least they'll be driving with fewer cars around them.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The official total at the airport was 8.4", but I think in my local burg we got under a couple of bands and ended with ~10" of wet snow, maybe a little more. Had this been earlier in the season, with colder air, we might have doubled that amount. We went from about 5" below our annual average to 2" above in less than 24 hours. Plus, it will mostly be melted by this time tomorrow.:h:

It was beautiful to watch, almost mesmerizing in a way. Plus, my daughter got to drive in snow for the first time and while it wasn't slick, it was very hard to see, so that was good experience for her.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The official total at the airport was 8.4", but I think in my local burg we got under a couple of bands and ended with ~10" of wet snow, maybe a little more. Had this been earlier in the season, with colder air, we might have doubled that amount. We went from about 5" below our annual average to 2" above in less than 24 hours. Plus, it will mostly be melted by this time tomorrow.:h:

It was beautiful to watch, almost mesmerizing in a way. Plus, my daughter got to drive in snow for the first time and while it wasn't slick, it was very hard to see, so that was good experience for her.
Here in NE OH, we got about 3-5 inches and I got the privilege of driving my sister 25 miles to the airport this morning at 5:15a during the heaviest part of it. Fun.

It's pretty nice to get, but I am ready for actual Spring to get here.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We are in the bullseye for a snowstorm for the first time this winter. Wait, its not winter . . . nevermind

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Watch area from Little Rock, AR to Columbus, OH until 8pm :-o

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had at least an inch of snow on the ground this morning after about 30 minutes of heavy snow showers. It seems to have stopped now but there is no sunshine and the temps are low enough that it might not melt too quickly today.

My parents always put on an egg hunt on Easter for their grandkids and the young children of my cousins and my dad likes to put chocolate in the eggs but we often have to worry about the chocolate getting all melty out in the warm spring sun... we didn't have to worry about that this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, we got an inch last night and looks like we're supposed to get lake effect throughout the next couple days. So much for my prediction that accumulation was over with for the season. On a positive note, at least we haven't had any of those freakish week long highs in the upper 60's/lower 70's that happen just long enough where all the fruit trees blossom and are promptly cut down by a killer frost the next week.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yeah, we got an inch last night and looks like we're supposed to get lake effect throughout the next couple days. So much for my prediction that accumulation was over with for the season. On a positive note, at least we haven't had any of those freakish week long highs in the upper 60's/lower 70's that happen just long enough where all the fruit trees blossom and are promptly cut down by a killer frost the next week.

Every single morning this week, I wake up to a dusting on my car and everything else, and then even more while I am at work. Granted it is pollen and not snow, but it might as well be the same thing.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It could be 65 here on Friday and then there's a possibility of 5-8 inches Saturday depending upon how some fronts and storms line up. Enough already.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm flying to Minneapolis tomorrow for a wedding. The high is going to be 25 degrees and they're expecting another 6" of snow this weekend. Yay...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Nighttime Tornadic Storms Are Dangerous, Not 'Good Sleeping Weather'
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marsha...erous-not-good-sleeping-weather/#395feaad2ccb

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmarshallshepherd%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2F081105092535_1_900x600.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So we woke up to an inch of snow. Again. We're approaching mid-April. I think spring can begin to gear up.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So we woke up to an inch of snow. Again. We're approaching mid-April. I think spring can begin to gear up.

It's snowing here on this side but not sticking. We did have a couple inches on the ground again Saturday morning though and yesterday morning I went for a walk and the temperature was about 20º... much cooler than I was expecting. Thursday and Friday we are forecasted to be in the upper 60s; it's going to be overcast and rainy, but I'll happily take it.

Sort of weather-related: I still have my outdoor Christmas lights up. I usually have had plenty of opportunities to take them down by now but it's just been too cold to work on the roof without my gloves and when it's this cold, the little plastic hooks always end up breaking. The few reasonably warm days we've had were just too windy to get up there. Hopefully I'll be able to get them down this coming Saturday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Another 1"+ of fresh snow on the ground when I woke up this morning. :not:

When I looked outside and saw it snowing before I went to bed last night, I did decide to plug in the outdoor Christmas lights. I figure if it's snowing and they are up still I might as well get some use out of them. :lmao:

kms

Cyburbian
Black ice was this morning’s weather challenge. Thankfully, I made it to work in one piece. Others had worse luck.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We got up into the mid 70s yesterday! :h:

Last night after our kids were in bed my wife and I were watching TV with the windows and doors to the patio open and it was still nice and warm (in the 60s) but there was a winter storm warning announcement on the TV for a couple counties just to the north of us.

Today we are only supposed to get back into the 50s and there is snow in the forecast for Sunday and Monday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Supposed to be 70 today and snow the day after tomorrow.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
The Northern Tier of Counties in Iowa will have highs around 40 today, and some in the South will be over 80. Methinks we have some severe stuff coming.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Long as I remember
the rain been comin' down
Clouds of mystery pourin'
confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages
tryin' to find the sun.
And I wonder still I wonder who'll stop the rain

Gully washer since 3:00 am. Lightning and thunder.. Dogs are freaked.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It rained hard all day Saturday. The temps dropped overnight and we had freezing rain all day Sunday. There were a lot of trees and power lines down and we're still at about 300,000+ without power in the area. Thankfully we never lost power at our house but my daughter and I went to the grocery store a block away before dinner last night and they had no power and most of the traffic lights were out between that grocery store and the next one we tried. When I got to work this morning a few miles further north it looked like they had a lot of snow up here as there were a couple inches worth on the ground that weren't here when I left Friday afternoon.

There's more freezing rain and snow in the forecast for today and tomorrow. :not:

I usually don't mind cold weather but I am ready for this winter to be over.