• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There was some wind damage in our area, but not to our neighborhood from last night's storms. It was 40 degrees colder this morning than it was yesterday afternoon and this storm dropped 3 to 4 inches of rain on the region. The ground was a little dry but it is super saturated and trees are falling over because of it.

There were a few confirmed tornadoes in the state and we some strong winds, but the news is saying that despite some upper level rotation, nothing touched down in our county.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
frozen precipitation this morning down along the Ohio River.

windchill of 25

freeze warning tonight.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
We had a tornado south of where I am in the area that I just moved from. It did pretty serious damage in a couple of places, but it doesn't sound like there were too many injuries in the area. I fortunately just had heavy rains, but it was crazy seeing all these places along routes that I know well with buildings torn completely apart.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We had a tornado south of where I am in the area that I just moved from. It did pretty serious damage in a couple of places, but it doesn't sound like there were too many injuries in the area. I fortunately just had heavy rains, but it was crazy seeing all these places along routes that I know well with buildings torn completely apart.
We apparently had one roll through Greensboro Sunday (maybe the area you're talking about?). I went ahead and moved down to my basement when the storm started up because I have several huge pine trees within 20 feet of the house. It really wasn't bad here at all, some stronger than normal winds and rain, but not enough to worry about.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
We apparently had one roll through Greensboro Sunday (maybe the area you're talking about?). I went ahead and moved down to my basement when the storm started up because I have several huge pine trees within 20 feet of the house. It really wasn't bad here at all, some stronger than normal winds and rain, but not enough to worry about.
I was talking about an area about two hours north of Greensboro, but I believe it was the same tornado.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We had snow/sleet yesterday and sleet going on right now. Hard to believe the local retail greenhouses will be opening in two weeks:r:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
More snow here this morning and the roads were pretty icy. Traffic on the main road I take north from my neighborhood to my office was at a dead stop headed south for at least a solid 5 or 6 miles. Thankfully, northbound traffic is always pretty light so I didn't have much to deal with.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
More snow here this morning and the roads were pretty icy. Traffic on the main road I take north from my neighborhood to my office was at a dead stop headed south for at least a solid 5 or 6 miles. Thankfully, northbound traffic is always pretty light so I didn't have much to deal with.
moi aussi

Planit

Cyburbian
It started raining sometime in the wee hours of Monday morning and stopped this morning about 9:00.

My rain gauge at the house only holds 5" and it was overflowing this morning. Let's just say the ground is saturated.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's been mostly sunny and the upper 60's recently.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was looking through some photos I had posted on Facebook "on this day" in years past and I see a lot more leaves on the trees in the background of all my pictures in the past few years than this year. Other than a tiny dogwood that is right in front of my dryer vent, none of the trees at my house have any buds yet and I don't notice many buds on trees around the office either.

Today is sunny and up in the upper 70s or maybe even the low 80s and tomorrow is supposed to be similar. Maybe we'll get some leaves and more flowers soon now.

Planit

Cyburbian
I thought I saw Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel this morning doing a live shoot from Kansas.

Whenever you see Cantore on a live shoot, that area should be worried...so look out DVD!!!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
After a very long, cold spring we are hitting 90 degrees today in Maryland. I swear I can look out my office window and watch the leaves come out on the trees.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yep, tornado cut across the corner of the county taking out a nice barn. So much junk out there and it picks the nice barn.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yep, tornado cut across the corner of the county taking out a nice barn. So much junk out there and it picks the nice barn.
I have a mental picture of dvd standing out in the field, shaking his fist at the sky & yelling "You're the reason why we can't have anything nice."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No matter your opinion about current Simpsons' quality, you cannot deny they have a reference/meme/saying for pretty much anything a human can devise.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No matter your opinion about current Simpsons' quality, you cannot deny they have a reference/meme/saying for pretty much anything a human can devise.
After nearly every meeting I have at work, the first thing I do when I get back to my desk is send around a bunch of Simpsons quotes, memes, GIFs, and clips so that my co-workers can understand the references I made or whatever I might have been alluding to at any given time. I seriously probably send around a good dozen or so random Simpsons-related pieces every week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Monday and Tuesday we had "red flag" days and wildfire warnings. This was the first time I can ever recall there being wildfire warnings here in Metro Detroit. It has been a bit dry lately and they (the fire departments? parks departments? DEQ/DNR?) was out doing prescribed burns earlier this week along some trails and power line ROWs. Even in the dryest of years we might get maybe one or two small brush fires (usually in the same general vicinity/community). It must have been even dryer than I realized and the conditions must have been just perfect for fires if we were getting actual warnings this time. FWIW, it did start raining late last night and is supposed to be overcast and rainy for the next few days.

After the sudden burst of warm weather this week and now a little bit of rain, my lawn is suddenly dark green and extra full and my hydrangea buds seemed to grow about an inch or three overnight.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Home owner me: "Yay, rain!"

Having to go into the office today me: "Ugh, rain..."

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's supposed to be very warm and a chance of rain here over Memorial Day weekend. I wonder what the weather is supposed to be like where The Awesomeness lives?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The weather was brutal here over Memorial Day weekend: mid to upper 90s everyday, unrelenting sun, humid, no breeze, etc. Sunday we went to the beach on Lake Huron but the water was still freezing. We've swam before on Memorial Day weekend but the winter was so long here that I think it will take longer for the big lakes to be comfortable... but that didn't stop other swimmers and kayakers and paddle boarders, there were plenty of them out on the water.

Yesterday morning we went to the local Memorial Day parade. It was 10:30 a.m. and blazing hot. My oldest always likes this parade because there is a ton of candy. The fire department decided to toss out chocolate. :r:

We had plenty of water but only minimal shade and about 20 minutes into the parade we could see our kids looking pretty out of it so we cut it short and went home to the AC and to play in the sprinklers.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The weather was brutal here over Memorial Day weekend: mid to upper 90s everyday, unrelenting sun, humid, no breeze, etc. Sunday we went to the beach on Lake Huron but the water was still freezing. We've swam before on Memorial Day weekend but the winter was so long here that I think it will take longer for the big lakes to be comfortable... but that didn't stop other swimmers and kayakers and paddle boarders, there were plenty of them out on the water.

Yesterday morning we went to the local Memorial Day parade. It was 10:30 a.m. and blazing hot. My oldest always likes this parade because there is a ton of candy. The fire department decided to toss out chocolate. :r:

We had plenty of water but only minimal shade and about 20 minutes into the parade we could see our kids looking pretty out of it so we cut it short and went home to the AC and to play in the sprinklers.
You're in Michigan, right? That's a bizzaro geographic reversal in weather - here in the north central ATL 'burbs we had off and on rain and highs in the 80s over the weekend.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You're in Michigan, right? That's a bizzaro geographic reversal in weather - here in the north central ATL 'burbs we had off and on rain and highs in the 80s over the weekend.
Yes, Metro Detroit. Hot humid summers are nothing new up here in the Mitten, especially on this side of the state where we don't get as much of a breeze off of the lake like the west side does, but it's usually not this bad this early in the season. Today is supposed to be pretty awful too but tomorrow it's supposed to start dropping back to the low 80s and high 70s, much more comfortable.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
we went to the beach on Lake Huron but the water was still freezing. We've swam before on Memorial Day weekend but the winter was so long here that I think it will take longer for the big lakes to be comfortable... .
Yeah, even with a normal spring the water temps are usually only in the upper 50's/lower 60's in Lake Michigan this time of year. This was the year without a spring. Bear in mind there was snow on the ground 39 days ago.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yeah, even with a normal spring the water temps are usually only in the upper 50's/lower 60's in Lake Michigan this time of year. This was the year without a spring. Bear in mind there was snow on the ground 39 days ago.
I think I saw that there was still ice in parts of Lake Superior until earlier this month.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The weather report so far this year for Toledo and Northwest, Ohio

January: Brutal cold first part of month, warmer but windy for the rest of it.
Febuary: Near record warmth but rainy and windy whenever it was warm
March Cold, rainy, and windy
April: Near record cold and rainy and windy
May: Rainy early part of month and then straight to record heat

I could count on one hand the days that have been seasonable AND no rain and NO wind. The wind is the worst. If you looked at the monthly climate reports, it doesn't look that bad on the surface, but they only measure temperature and rain. I bet the average wind speed was close to 10MPH above historical averages.

I knew this was going to happen. Predicted it back in January: Straight from well below average temperatures and much above-average rain...to 90s :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
What remains of Alberto is roiling the trees and pushing an angry-looking sky to the west of me. Hoping JNA has a boat handy if he should need one.8-!

DVD

Cyburbian
Western Kansas is flooded, but we're fine here. Might have to check to see if they need help.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Did RJ float away? I saw that Jim Cantore was visiting him this weekend.
We did not float away. In fact, only had just over two-inches of rain and the winds were moderate, comparatively speaking. Jim was an ungrateful and arrogant house guest. We had to cut him off or all our tropical storm wine supply would be gone.

TOFB

Cyburbian
There was ice on the pool cover when I left for APA on April 19. Today - pool water 80 degrees :h:

Bubba

Cyburbian
Had the misfortune of being over in Alabama for work yesterday. There was a weather delay of two hours in getting site access - something about the engineer not wanting us in an open field with antenna towers during a thunderstorm...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Looks like we're gonna hit 100 tomorrow possibly and Saturday for sure. Summer's here and the time is right for hanging out in an air conditioned house.

Bubba

Cyburbian
It broke 100 when I was in your fair state. I will never complain the heat here ever again.
I've lived in Georgia my entire life. The hottest five-day stretch I've ever endured (highs topping out at 102+ every day) was in Illinois. Go figure.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I spent the last week in Atlanta. The first day I was there (Sunday) was sweltering hot with really high humidity. It stayed warm all week but the humidity disappeared for most of the week making my time out running a lot more comfortable than it was on the first day.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Last edited by a moderator:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A 16 yo male was struck my lightning 3 or 4 doors from our home yesterday morning. He's in critical condition at a local hospital. Mowing a lawn during a thunderstorm is never a good idea.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This morning at the bus stop it was 70º but probably 90% humidity and I was sweating through my clothes after being outside for just a few minutes. I just went outside for a short walk and it was probably 85º but there was next to no humidity and a slight breeze. It went from being unbearable to pretty darn nice out there today.

A 16 yo male was struck my lightning 3 or 4 doors from our home yesterday morning. He's in critical condition at a local hospital. Mowing a lawn during a thunderstorm is never a good idea.
That's scary news! When I was in boot camp there was a coach who was struck by lightning on the rifle range. I wasn't on the range when it happened but apparently it was on an otherwise clear day just as storms were starting to develop and they were trying to hustle a platoon off of the range. He had a few rifles slung over his shoulder and they acted like lightning rods out in the middle of a field. I know it didn't kill him but I don't know what happened beyond that. I wonder if the big thick rubber soles on his combat boots would help to ground him and maybe lessen the damage? Either way, I remember it resulting in a safety standdown.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's scary news! When I was in boot camp there was a coach who was struck by lightning on the rifle range. I wasn't on the range when it happened but apparently it was on an otherwise clear day just as storms were starting to develop and they were trying to hustle a platoon off of the range. He had a few rifles slung over his shoulder and they acted like lightning rods out in the middle of a field. I know it didn't kill him but I don't know what happened beyond that. I wonder if the big thick rubber soles on his combat boots would help to ground him and maybe lessen the damage? Either way, I remember it resulting in a safety standdown.
At one of the scout camps where my son's troop did summer camp (I think in New Mexico), one of the local Boy Scout employees of the camp told us how he'd been struck by lightning a couple weeks prior. He showed us the tree he was leaning on that got struck and told us how he remembered the flash and the next thing he knew they were doing mouth-to-mouth and CPR on him. They took him to the hospital but once revived he showed no ill effects so he went back to work at the camp.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It's supposed to be in the low to mid 90's this weekend. Come Monday and Tuesday the high will be 97! It's entirely too early for that high. :-{