• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ I still don't understand how the dewpoint works I do know that according to the thermometer in my Jeep it was 106º yesterday afternoon when my daughter and I went out for hamburgers and milkshakes at Shake Shack. :-c

Yes, the Jeep was parked in a totally unshaded blacktop parking lot next to a couple mid-rise glass towers all of which were probably contributing to the high reading but 106º is still 106º! Today is supposed to be in the mid-90s for the third day in a row but some rain and a cool front are supposed to come through tonight and temps are forecast to drop down to the high-70s and low-80s for the rest of the week.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is going to be hot and humid here today and for the next few days. The heat index is already triple digit...

However, I really feel bad for people in parts of Michigan's UP. They don't normally deal with that kind of stuff. It would be like a blizzard in New Orleans.

*there might be some colorful language.
[youtube]spMG5uqXFFw[/youtube]

TOFB

Cyburbian
Pool is 85. I don't think it has ever been that warm on June 18. Still iced over 60 days ago.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well this happened last night. The tree is 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Somehow it fell on that bent tree which slowed it down enough not to destroy the old chicken coop. The coop and small tree saved my fence, it's suspended about 2 feet above it!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DVD

Cyburbian

I had to get new wipers for the car. You know it's time when they flap around on the windshield.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Humidity 51%
Wind Speed Vrbl 3 mph
Barometer 30.22 in (1022.6 mb)
Dewpoint 76°F (24°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 111°F (44°C)
Last update 5 Jul 2:53 pm EDT

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Ours is 126
Holy crap! Where do you live? An Indonesian rainforest?

I don't know what our heat index has been the past few days but it's been unbearably hot and humid (this morning was infinitely more pleasant though). We had 7 consecutive days of 90º+ temps here in Detroit but even with the humidity, I don't think our heat index was much more than maybe 100º at its peak. I was at the beach for a lot of that stretch and usually it's quite a bit cooler up there even though it's not really that far away from Detroit where we go but it was still pretty hot. Yesterday morning we were swimming by 9:30 a.m. because we were too hot and sweaty after eating breakfast outside.

When I got home yesterday afternoon the temperature outside was around 98º (but the humidity was starting to subside and there was thunder and lightning and apparently rainstorms that delayed the Tiger game a few miles away but not a drop of rain at our house) and I had apparently forgot to leave on all the ceiling fans like I normally do when we are gone. The temperature inside most of the house (the living room, family room, kitchen, dining room where all the high ceilings are) was over 80º and it took absolutely forever to cool it down.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Holy crap! Where do you live? An Indonesian rainforest?

I.
At times it feels that way. Our day time temps stay in the 90 in the summer and night time temps are in the 70's. It's humid most of the time. I think the 126 was a screw up somewhere. The feels like are normally in the 90s and 100s

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
At times it feels that way. Our day time temps stay in the 90 in the summer and night time temps are in the 70's. It's humid most of the time. I think the 126 was a screw up somewhere. The feels like are normally in the 90s and 100s
Somewhere along the way I think I've read that once temps get above something like 105º or 110º the body has a hard time noticing/comprehending any difference. Maybe that's true with heat indexes factored in as well so maybe it really was up around 126º?

When I was in Tunisia about 20 years ago we got to go tour where part of the original Star Wars movies were filmed (Tatooine). The temperatures without any sort of heat index were up around 120º and while it was definitely blazing hot and the hottest place I've ever been in my life it didn't feel any different than the week I spent in Phoenix years ago where temps were about 105º everyday or those 3 days I spent in Vegas at similar temps.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and kids are still up at the beach for one more day and they had some thunderstorms last night and a lot of wind. She just sent me a message that somebody's kayak washed ashore at the house.

Here's the view the beach yesterday morning, with nice and calm seas:

And here it is this morning after the storms:

Apparently, the other way down the beach a whole bunch of boat hoists were knocked over and there were also a bunch of adirondack chairs that don't belong to us on the beach too. I'm hoping that the kayak came from somewhere far away and goes unclaimed. :D

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The WTForecast for my area. "It's so hot you can just lick your arm before doing a tequila sot. F@#$ the salt." Welcome to the South in the middle of summer y'all:D:h::lmao:

Bubba

Cyburbian
Seems like it's been raining nonstop for two-and-a-half days now. It's been a pretty decent year with the rainfall - I haven't really even thought about running the sprinklers this spring or summer.

Michele Zone

BANNED
My last couple of weeks in Fresno, California last year saw highs of 112 some days. I came to Washington in early September and it was like in the 60s during the day, in the 40s at night. Big difference.

We saw a brief window of warm weather this summer. Yesterday, I went to Taco Bell in the evening and it was overcast and chilly, like the brief summer had already ended and fall had arrived.

Not sure how to feel about that. It's not like I miss the 100+ temps, but I didn't expect it to be this cool. However, at least two locals have told me this is an unusually cool spring and summer. So maybe next year will be better.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Seems like it's been raining nonstop for two-and-a-half days now. It's been a pretty decent year with the rainfall - I haven't really even thought about running the sprinklers this spring or summer.
It's finally stopped. I was able to roll the trash cans out to the curb this morning without drowning.

Planit

Cyburbian
We've gotten a bunch of rain, but I'm glad we're not in Lynchburg, Va with a dam about to go bust.

peach - do you own a mask & snorkel?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Oppressive.

That's how I would describe the weather here in Metro Detroit since about Friday. It's been in the 90s everyday with high humidity and tons of sun just beating down. There was a heavy storm that rolled through Saturday afternoon but it only rained for about 20 minutes and I think it was actually hotter and more humid afterwards.

I was off Monday and Tuesday (as well as last Friday) but it was too hot to do anything outside with the kids. Starting tomorrow it's supposed to be down in the 70s for the next 5 days or so and I'm looking forward to it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's hot. And humid. But it's also the first week in September. Summer is fast winding down, and uncomfortable temperatures will be a thing of the past in just a couple of weeks.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Temp & Heat Index in the 90's

Forecast includes remains of TS / D Gordon.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Saturday was stormy with temps in the 70s. Sunday was calmer and cooler with temps in the 60s. The temps got up to about 85º Monday afternoon. It was super foggy in the morning and up through lunchtime. It was so muggy out yesterday afternoon that when I got home every surface in the house was covered in fog and the walls in the bathrooms were all wet as if somebody had just taken a really hot shower. It's supposed to get back into the 80s today and close to 80 tomorrow. It's already about 75º outside. My little weather station at home said the humidity was at 96%.

Warm days like this this early in October are nothing really new but I don't ever recall it being so muggy out.

On a probably related note - there are all types mushrooms sprouting EVERYWHERE in our yard and throughout the neighborhood. The people across the street have a big white couple puff mushrooms (I'm sure that's the technical term) that are the size of soccer balls growing in their front yard.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I hope things are okay down RJ's way. Hurricane Michael doesn't seem to be getting the press that Florence got but it looks like this one keeps growing and is taking aim right at places like Panama City Beach and Tallahassee and Valdosta.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
How Much Hotter Is Your Hometown Than When You Were Born?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/30/climate/how-much-hotter-is-your-hometown.html

Interactive article
data set disclaimer - only back to 1960
Interesting, but I'm more disturbed by the warm overnight lows than daytime highs. They are getting worse, every year, but no detailed records are kept. Earlier this month, we had an overnight low of 75F. The normal overnight low is upper 40s, so this has to be some kind of record for the warmest overnight low for October for Toledo, OH

Bubba

Cyburbian
I hope things are okay down RJ's way. Hurricane Michael doesn't seem to be getting the press that Florence got but it looks like this one keeps growing and is taking aim right at places like Panama City Beach and Tallahassee and Valdosta.
Yeah, the Gulf Coast is getting pounded, and Valdosta (my hometown) is not going to have a good day today. As of right now for the ATL it looks like the bulk of it will eventually track to the east of town, which means the small town one of my guys at work lives in out that way could get somewhat clobbered. Here at Chez Bubba (in the north central burbs) I'm expecting wind gusts and a couple of inches of rain this evening...

Stay safe, RJ and ZG.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, the Gulf Coast is getting pounded, and Valdosta (my hometown) is not going to have a good day today. As of right now for the ATL it looks like the bulk of it will eventually track to the east of town, which means the small town one of my guys at work lives in out that way could get somewhat clobbered. Here at Chez Bubba (in the north central burbs) I'm expecting wind gusts and a couple of inches of rain this evening...

Stay safe, RJ and ZG.
Thanks for the update Bubba

AG74683

Cyburbian
Woof, looks like this one will be bad too! Expecting more tropical storm conditions here, which suuuuucks! My basement is just now drying out, and I finally got a quote on removing the fallen tree and have had my insurance claim approved. Hopefully nothing else comes down. Ugh.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Rainy overnight and into the morning here in the ATL - I managed to catch a break before the next squall line moves in for the walk from MARTA to my office this morning, thankfully. This should clear out of here by 3 pm, so I doubt it will have too much of an impact on voting.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Earlier this week they were calling for flurries this morning. So far we have about 2" of snow on the ground and it's still coming down pretty hard. We are moving and rededicating a nearly 97-year-old WWI plaque from an indoor hidden away spot to a spot outside our county courthouse later this morning. I wasn't planning to go but now I think I will just so I can have an excuse to be outside in the snow.

I wonder if Maister or Veloises's side of the state is getting hammered?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Earlier this week they were calling for flurries this morning. So far we have about 2" of snow on the ground and it's still coming down pretty hard. We are moving and rededicating a nearly 97-year-old WWI plaque from an indoor hidden away spot to a spot outside our county courthouse later this morning. I wasn't planning to go but now I think I will just so I can have an excuse to be outside in the snow.

I wonder if Maister or Veloises's side of the state is getting hammered?
"Hammered?" An interesting word choice bearing in mind that you're a native Michigander. Yes, we got a dusting of perhaps an inch overnight. The forecast calls for 1-3" today. We're at the time of the season where snow is considered charming and picturesque. There's a nip in the air and fresh clean snow blankets the land and clings to the trees like one might see in an old Currier & Ives print. Look, there goes a horse drawn sleigh!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Those of us on this side of the state are trained to believe that anytime we get an inch or two, anybody within about 50 miles of the eastern shore of Lake Michigan must be getting about 3' of the white stuff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Those of us on this side of the state are trained to believe that anytime we get an inch or two, anybody within about 50 miles of the eastern shore of Lake Michigan must be getting about 3' of the white stuff.
Lake effect snow is definitely a thing, but this time at least it appears not to be a factor. I think the surrounding air temps haven't been cold enough for that yet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was 80 earlier this week and it will be well below freezing by Sunday morning and will stay cooler. They are calling for highs in the low 50's or colder with possible lowes in the teens for Thanksgiving morning.

TOFB

Cyburbian
The fact we got an inch and a half of snow last night is not unusual. The fact that it is still around and is about 16 degrees is.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So the inch dusting we got on Friday ended up turning into 5-6". Some of it melted yesterday but there's still a couple inches on the ground. There was enough snow that I could go cross country skiing on Saturday and Junior could go sledding across the street with his friends.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The 2" we got on Friday melted for the most part in the sun during the day but it was cold enough all weekend that the leaves on the ground were basically frozen to the grass all weekend. Yesterday I got up on the roof to clean the gutters and start putting up the Christmas lights and in a couple of parts the leaves were absolutely frozen into the gutters and I had to sort of chisel them out with a stick to get them to loosen up enough to make my leaf blower get some air under them... then they came flying out in big long frozen chunks.

We got another inch or so of very heavy snow overnight last night/this morning. I went to the gym and everything looked so pretty in the snow driving back home afterwards that I wished I had gone for a run in the woods instead.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heavy rain last night and this morning which made for a terribly slow commute. It's supposed to snow a bit on Thursday. I do not approve.

DVD

Cyburbian
Loving life back in Arizona. It cooled off a little and it might be 60 today with lows in the 40s. I watched the K-State/KU ball game this weekend where it was 26 degrees with some kind of nasty windchill. We're talking the kind of wind that made a good punt from the 20 yard line drop around the 50.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Chilly, damp and cloudy after 2 days of rain. Never thought the sound of rain would get annoying, but it does after a while.
The rain has finally stopped here in the ATL (had been going since Monday). It was 40 degrees out for the walk to the office this morning...actually didn't feel bad at all (thanks to the lack of wind). Rumor has it that we might actually see the sun at some point this afternoon.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The rain has finally stopped here in the ATL (had been going since Monday). It was 40 degrees out for the walk to the office this morning...actually didn't feel bad at all (thanks to the lack of wind). Rumor has it that we might actually see the sun at some point this afternoon.
It got down into the 20s last night, but is's been sunshine today.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Y'all ready to feel sorry for me.....

It was so cold here this morning.... that I had to scrape the windows on my truck this morning. I had to use a chunk of scrap plywood because the wife has my scraper.

I mean being stuck in a snowstorm related traffic jam for 5+ is one thing... but I had to scrape my windows!