• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night, I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you're a new user, please re-register. If you posted yesterday, post twice as much on Friday. Again, I apologize. :(

The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Y'all ready to feel sorry for me.....

It was so cold here this morning.... that I had to scrape the windows on my truck this morning. I had to use a chunk of scrap plywood because the wife has my scraper.

I mean being stuck in a snowstorm related traffic jam for 5+ is one thing... but I had to scrape my windows!
One of the things that accompanied me from up north was my very nice ice scrapper. It has been a life saver the few times I had to use it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Temps have been consistently below freezing for a week and there has been snow on the ground nearly everyday, including another fresh inch last night/this morning. The temperatures aren't really all that out of the ordinary but this is more snow (and longer lasting since I don't think it's gotten up out of the 30s for a while now) than we normally have on the ground this early.

Pros: Every ski hill in Michigan is open. I guess this is the first time they have all been open, statewide, this early in the season so that's cool if you're into that.
Cons: Our lawn crew has been unable to get to our lawn to do the annual fall clean-up and they've lost so many days because of snow that they probably just won't get ours done this year. I'll save some money but the leaves are so thick in the backyard that I'm afraid of all the dead spots there will be on my lawn in the spring. I've tried leaving the leaves down to basically mulch into the ground in the past but I have just waaaaay too many and it ends up doing more damage than good. It looks like maybe it will get up to about 40º this weekend so the snow will melt and the leaves will thaw enough that I can try and rake them all up into a pile in the back corner near the fence.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Our lawn crew has been unable to get to our lawn to do the annual fall clean-up and they've lost so many days because of snow that they probably just won't get ours done this year. I'll save some money but the leaves are so thick in the backyard that I'm afraid of all the dead spots there will be on my lawn in the spring. I've tried leaving the leaves down to basically mulch into the ground in the past but I have just waaaaay too many and it ends up doing more damage than good. It looks like maybe it will get up to about 40º this weekend so the snow will melt and the leaves will thaw enough that I can try and rake them all up into a pile in the back corner near the fence.
Mrs. Bubba's grandfather, who is in his early 90s and lives in western NY, was griping earlier this week about not getting the leaves cleared off his lawn before their first good snowfall...apparently he had cleared the leaves out of several of his neighbors yards, but had not gotten to his own lawn yet. Did I mention he is over 90 years old?

DVD

Cyburbian
The Arizona life means not having to deal with snow, or leaves. Just sunny and 70. Tomorrow I'll be wearing a Hawaiian shirt for my casual Wednesday and in honor of Thanksgiving.

TOFB

Cyburbian
New guy asked if City Hall was ever closed on account of weather. Me: "Nope"

Bubba

Cyburbian
A balmy 26 degrees at sunrise here in the northern ATL suburbs this morning. And, we'll have a high temp in the low 70s this coming Sunday. Go figure.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I'm not sure what the official snow total is for Jamestown, NY overnight is, but I had about 2 feet of snow at my house -- and close to 3 feet in drifts. Lucky us.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm not sure what the official snow total is for Jamestown, NY overnight is, but I had about 2 feet of snow at my house -- and close to 3 feet in drifts. Lucky us.
You're a little to the southwest of Mrs. Bubba's extended family (Gowanda - Springville) - I'm expecting her to report on a lot of griping about the snow on the BookFacePages by her relatives...

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
This was the worst November in memory in Toledo.

25 of 30 days below normal temps, with some days more than 15F below normal high temps. One day was 22F below normal.

The handful of above normal days were negated by high winds and rain. Of the 30 days, only two were warm and dry enough for any kind of outdoor activity.

The average high was only 41F. That is more than 8F below normal, and significant for an entire month.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There's a chance of freezing rain here in Atlanta this coming weekend (I don't think that will actually happen - Saturday is going to be cold, wet, and miserable, but I don't believe it will get cold enough for freezing rain). Nonetheless, I may end up RJing out a bit early tomorrow to do some yard work - clearing the lawn and deck of leaves is easier pre-rain than post-rain...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Weather.com says 5-8 inches of ice and snow here, and nearly 15 inches of snow 2 hours west where my parents live. I don't buy it. I think the Weather Channel intentionally sensationalizes "extreme" weather.

Planit

Cyburbian
Weather.com says 5-8 inches of ice and snow here, and nearly 15 inches of snow 2 hours west where my parents live. I don't buy it. I think the Weather Channel intentionally sensationalizes "extreme" weather.
Some local news are saying similar things. Being in the foothills, it’s a tossup. Could be a foot of snow or some ice.

I’ll be happy with 5”-6” of snow for sledding purposes.

I have not bought milk & bread yet

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It will either snow or it won't. I am good either way.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There's a chance of freezing rain here in Atlanta this coming weekend (I don't think that will actually happen - Saturday is going to be cold, wet, and miserable, but I don't believe it will get cold enough for freezing rain). Nonetheless, I may end up RJing out a bit early tomorrow to do some yard work - clearing the lawn and deck of leaves is easier pre-rain than post-rain...
Definitely looking like temps will stay above freezing, so, yeah - probably just cold and rainy all weekend. Yay. :r:

Planit

Cyburbian
3 different reports have said 3 different forecasts for our area.

Weather Channel is predicting the lowest accumulation with p to 4"
Duke Energy is saying 4" - 10"
Local weather expert (from AG's alma mater) is looking at 10" - 16"

I think mskis might have more sleet/ice to deal with.
AG is in the transition area so it's really a crap shoot.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
3 different reports have said 3 different forecasts for our area.

Weather Channel is predicting the lowest accumulation with p to 4"
Duke Energy is saying 4" - 10"
Local weather expert (from AG's alma mater) is looking at 10" - 16"

I think mskis might have more sleet/ice to deal with.
AG is in the transition area so it's really a crap shoot.
Local weather guy said that for our area we will get some of all three... but he has no idea on how much of what we will get. However, I would not be surprised if you are correct. We might get some snow in the overnight hours, but otherwise it will be ice and rain for the duration. IF this happens, I will be surprised if the kids have school on Monday. My biggest concern is the wife getting to work on Monday if the roads are a hockey rink.

That reminds me, I need to pick up a box of AA batteries for our gas fireplace in the event that the power goes out. Some heat is better than no heat.

Planit

Cyburbian
10” @ our house. Combination of sleet & snow.

It’s slick but they’ve scraped the roads.

All 3 of us - schools & offices closed. Mrs. P is going to work from home & I’ll go in sometime in the afternoon.

Bubba

Cyburbian
10” @ our house. Combination of sleet & snow.

It’s slick but they’ve scraped the roads.

All 3 of us - schools & offices closed. Mrs. P is going to work from home & I’ll go in sometime in the afternoon.
We lucked out down here - plenty of rain, but temps stayed above freezing.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Apart from a light dusting which had little to do with the cold front, we got off scot-free.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We had more than 7 inches at the airport about about 5 at our house. The average seasonal snowfall is per season is 5. So we should be good for snow for the rest of the season.

Bad part is the rain last night and tonight it will be below freezing so tomorrow will suck.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We had more than 7 inches at the airport about about 5 at our house. The average seasonal snowfall is per season is 5. So we should be good for snow for the rest of the season.

Bad part is the rain last night and tonight it will be below freezing so tomorrow will suck.
We had a problem with that last year. The roads would ice over when the temps fell below freezing over night.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Almost no snow here, just ice rain and sleet. Bunch of limbs fell down but no trees. I was clearing one out of the road and another big one fell like 50 feet from me. I decided to stay inside after that.

My parents house saw like 14 inches or so, maybe more. As far as I know, they're still stuck inside. Overall, I was disappointed with the weather here. I wanted snow, ice sucks. We were out of work yesterday though, so I guess that's okay.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Lot of places opened a couple of hours late here over concerns about black ice - had to go out about 8:45 this morning - didn't see any problems on the road.

Almost no snow here, just ice rain and sleet. Bunch of limbs fell down but no trees. I was clearing one out of the road and another big one fell like 50 feet from me. I decided to stay inside after that.
We had a particularly nasty ice storm in Atlanta about 19 or 20 years ago...I was out the morning after with some of the other guys on the street pulling limbs and trees off houses. We would hear a crack, and everyone would scatter for cover until that next limb fell...

Planit

Cyburbian
My parents house saw like 14 inches or so, maybe more. As far as I know, they're still stuck inside. .
All the main roads are clear and dry around here. Most streets in the city are too. It's a coin toss for rural roads.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
We got about a foot of snow. The power only went out for two hours, so that was a relief. School and work were closed on Monday. School was closed yesterday, and then they closed again today. I'm desperately hoping for them to be open tomorrow!!!

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
From our local paper:

"With approximately 81 inches of rain, 2018 is the wettest year the National Weather Service in Tallahassee has measured in the area so far. It’s a record even with data missing for several days around Hurricane Michael."

We average about 60 inches a year.

kms

Cyburbian
I have two “too much runoff from the neighbor” complaints on my desk. I keep putting off those calls.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
We got vastly more snow in November than we did in December. In fact, we even had a green Christmas. In looking at the 10 day forecast, I'm seeing little prospect of this trend changing. 2018-19 is turning into the winter that wasn't.:(

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
We got vastly more snow in November than we did in December. In fact, we even had a green Christmas. In looking at the 10 day forecast, I'm seeing little prospect of this trend changing. 2018-19 is turning into the winter that wasn't.:(
Yeah but a lot better than a year ago. In Northwest Ohio it was a brutally cold Christmas. The temperature did not even reach 20F all the way from December 26th to January 6th. On all but one of those nights, the overnight low was 2F or less. So far during the same period this Christmas, every day has been above normal and it has not dropped below 25F. In other words, the coldest night this Christmas has been higher than the warmest day last Christmas.

Above average temperatures as predicted for at least the next seven days. I biked more in December than any month except May. I'm sure it wasn't too different from where you live.

I would like snow, but those low temps are for the birds. You couldn't do anything outside last Christmas.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Right after Christmas the paper here in Detroit said we had only had 0.02" of snow through December and were on track for our second least snowiest December on record (since 1880). We did end up with maybe another 0.5" - 1.0" on the 29th and 30th so we did get a bit but it wasn't enough (or early enough) to stop my daughter from complaining about not having a white Christmas. In her defense, looking back at photos I've taking around Christmas time for the past few years, I don't think she remembers not having a white Christmas before. If the temps were about 10º cooler, we would have had a very snowy NYE as it rained and rained and rained all day long. I think I even heard some thunder in there.

I'm ready for some snow.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Looking like yet another rainy day in the 50s here in the ATL - we got close to record levels of rain last year - it beats drought conditions, but I'm a bit over it for now. Sunday, at least, should be dry and pushing into the 60s.

Planit

Cyburbian
Looking like yet another rainy day in the 50s here in the ATL - we got close to record levels of rain last year - it beats drought conditions, but I'm a bit over it for now. Sunday, at least, should be dry and pushing into the 60s.
Yep, it's raining here [STRIKEOUT]again [/STRIKEOUT]still, but there are promises of sun for the weekend. I'll believe it when I see that bright yellow ball in the sky though.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Yep, it's raining here [STRIKEOUT]again [/STRIKEOUT]still, but there are promises of sun for the weekend. I'll believe it when I see that bright yellow ball in the sky though.
We installed some solar-powered landscape lights along the sidewalk to the front door of our house last year. After a sunny day during the summer, the lights would stay on for about 10 hours - with the current gloomy weather conditions and the shorter days, we're lucky to get two hours of light from them...

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Solid rain again this morning, but it should move out of here after lunchtime today - looks like this could be the last of it until next weekend.
There is a bright yellow orb in the sky. It appears to produce light and warmth. We are still trying to figure out what it is.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was in the upper 50s Saturday. Unheard of for this time of year here in Detroit! I used the opportunity to clean up a lot of sticks and leaves from the front yard and out of the flower beds. It's supposed to be in the 40s for the next couple of days. I don't mind the warmer weather (it makes running nice) but I'm definitely ready for some snow.