• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Neverending 'What's Ailing You Now'? Thread

DVD

Cyburbian
I have a kidney stone. I've been told to drink water. Thanks. :r:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Threw my back out about a week and 1/2 ago from standing at a concert in NYC. :-c Man, do I feel old. After a course of steroids and a week on the couch my back is starting to feel a bit better.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is this abit scary being a “Elder Orphans” – those with no spouse or significant other and no family nearby and the potential consequence.

DVD

Cyburbian
You know what passes a kidney stone quick? Drink a quart of beer. Seriously.
I followed Dr. Maister's advice over the last 4 days and still nothing. Although taking my medicine was fun.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Threw my back out about a week and 1/2 ago from standing at a concert in NYC. :-c Man, do I feel old. After a course of steroids and a week on the couch my back is starting to feel a bit better.
Finally got to see my PT and he thinks the problem is mechanical and fixable. Yay!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A third day of back spasms sent me home after a half-day at work. :not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Annual Dermatologist appointment - had a biopsy - called it was squamous cell carcinoma
Have to have a follow up procedure where they will cut a little deeper and wider.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Annual Dermatologist appointment - had a biopsy - called it was squamous cell carcinoma
Have to have a follow up procedure where they will cut a little deeper and wider.
I am sorry to hear that J. Hope they get all of it this time. Being fair skinned/Northern European and living it a hot/sunny place, I try to be careful about sun exposure/sun burns.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Had the skin cancer procedure.
DR cut deeper and wider to make sure got all the marginal edges - some cauterizing and stitches - covered by a 2 x 2 bandaid.
go back in 2 weeks to have the stitches removed.

I will find out who my fiends are to change the bandaid. ;) :-c

Michele Zone

BANNED
I will find out who my fiends are to change the bandaid. ;) :-c
I'm late to the party, as usual.

I hope you found fiends to change your bandaid. I mean, nice fiends who treated you well and not fiendishly. ;)

I've had multiple relatives who have had cancer. Some of what some of them have been through makes all my medical stuff look tame in comparison. :-|

But skin cancer is sometimes a relatively no big deal thing. I hope this is so in your case.

Veloise

Cyburbian
#spartanswill finally do something helpful

I have a kidney stone. I've been told to drink water. Thanks. :r:
My alma mater provides some help for this. Ironically, same department as that headline-making other guy, Osteopathic Medicine.

“In all, we used 174 kidney stones of varying shapes, sizes and weights to see if each model worked on the same ride and on two other roller coasters,” Wartinger said. “Big Thunder Mountain was the only one that worked. We tried Space Mountain and Aerosmith’s Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster and both failed.”
...patients could even try going on a coaster once a year as maintenance, lessening the chances of future issues and minimizing health care costs.

“You need to heed the warnings before going on a roller coaster,” he advised. “If you have a kidney stone, but are otherwise healthy and meet the requirements of the ride, patients should try it. It’s definitely a lower-cost alternative to health care.”

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm up for it. I think the kids would even join me in taking that particular medicine.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
4 months later incision is still red & noticeable. :-o 8-!

Michele Zone

BANNED
4 months later incision is still red & noticeable. :-o 8-!

When my dad had colon cancer, which involved a 13 inch incision from the bottom of his ribs to his pubic bone, with a little blip going around the belly button, my mother put Penaten cream on the scar from incision to help it heal. This worked so well that two cancer clinics, one in Columbus, GA, one at Ft. Benning, added Penaten cream to their regimen. (One cancer doctor interviewed my mother on tape for 2 hours after my dad lived when he should have died and changed things at his clinic based on what she said.)

Just making conversation.

I guess if I were a normal person, this would be empty sympathetic noises. If you are offended, pretend I did that and make polite empty noises back. I'm a little burned out on the entire internet wanting my head on a platter for the crime of thinking I know something useful and would like to be helpful because I'm a schmuck, basically.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a crazy up and down year with insurance changes and formulary changes....my A1C has dropped from 8.5% to 5.9%. Almost normal and fantastic for a diabetic.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
After a crazy up and down year with insurance changes and formulary changes....my A1C has dropped from 8.5% to 5.9%. Almost normal and fantastic for a diabetic.
That's amazing. Good on you!

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I've been having shoulder/neck pain since last Wednesday. Got a massage Friday - helped for about ten minutes. Went to the chiropractor Monday - helped for the day. Went to the orthopedic clinic yesterday and they gave me a cortisone shot - that helped for the rest of the day. Woke up this morning, my shoulder was back to hurting and I was nauseous. Drove 40 minutes back to the chiropractor feeling queasy the whole time. Threw up in the parking lot. Went in for my adjustment, feel slightly better.

Ortho doctor gave me a referral for PT and told me they'd be giving me a prescription anti-inflammatory, but they apparently forgot to call that in, so I have to call them back today. Chiropractor wants me to keep seeing him twice a week to get ahead of the issue. It sounds like it's something with my rotator cuff, and everyone agrees that it's something we need to take care of proactively, but it is so frustrating to not have anything work. All I can do to control the discomfort right now is keep ice on it as much as possible. The weirdest part is that my right hand/arm is incredibly weak.

How long before I give up and tell them to just amputate?

Reactions: Dan

kms

Cyburbian
I've been having shoulder/neck pain since last Wednesday. Got a massage Friday - helped for about ten minutes. Went to the chiropractor Monday - helped for the day. Went to the orthopedic clinic yesterday and they gave me a cortisone shot - that helped for the rest of the day. Woke up this morning, my shoulder was back to hurting and I was nauseous. Drove 40 minutes back to the chiropractor feeling queasy the whole time. Threw up in the parking lot. Went in for my adjustment, feel slightly better.

Ortho doctor gave me a referral for PT and told me they'd be giving me a prescription anti-inflammatory, but they apparently forgot to call that in, so I have to call them back today. Chiropractor wants me to keep seeing him twice a week to get ahead of the issue. It sounds like it's something with my rotator cuff, and everyone agrees that it's something we need to take care of proactively, but it is so frustrating to not have anything work. All I can do to control the discomfort right now is keep ice on it as much as possible. The weirdest part is that my right hand/arm is incredibly weak.

How long before I give up and tell them to just amputate?
It’s afrecting your quality of life, so I think you have to talk to your doctor about a solution.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This test/scan result is just a bit scary -

aortic aneurysm.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
No surgery yet.
working on some lifestyle changes
Just keep on top of it. At least you know it's there so it can be monitored. My mom had one and it had started to leak and had to have a graft put in :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Blood Lab report - only numbers my Dr talks to me about

A1C - 6.9
Cholesterol - 100; HDL not high enough

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After 3 months in with my Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitoring device my A1C has dropped to 5.7 :cool:

I start insulin pump therapy on Saturday.

Reactions: Dan

TOFB

Cyburbian
my back is killing me, with another 4 inches of ice encrusted snow on the way

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I left my snow shovel in Kansas and never looked back. Lawnmower is there too.
I never really thought about it before, but between the high temps and xeriscaping you probably don't have much in the way of 'yard work' to do in Arizona (unless you own a golf course).

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I never really thought about it before, but between the high temps and xeriscaping you probably don't have much in the way of 'yard work' to do in Arizona (unless you own a golf course).
One of my sisters lives in Vegas. There yard work in minimal.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tendonitis affecting the rotator cuff. It's the injury of my people. Rotator cuff injuries are as Buffalonian as chicken wings, mediocre professional sports teams, and women in their late 50s named Joanne, Fran, Diane, Ann, Janet, or Nancy.

DVD

Cyburbian
If you own a proper Phoenix home the yard work is relegated to plucking a couple weeds from the rocks every couple weeks and cleaning the pool.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Annual Dermatologist appointment - froze another spot.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Had a another contrasting CT - only word in the results I understood was it was stable.

Here is the full term of what I have - ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm.

Update - Next appointment a year from now.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be having knee surgery at the end of the month to deal with a torn meniscus. Fun times.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Stumbled into a hawthorne bush while on vacation while wearing shorts. Managed to get scratched and cut up up from my ankle to my knee on one side of my leg.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I went through the ColoGuard test. No cancer. Nonetheless, my health care provider wants me to get a colonoscopy. :afraid::puke::eek:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went through the ColoGuard test. No cancer. Nonetheless, my health care provider wants me to get a colonoscopy. :afraid::puke::eek:
American Cancer Society updated screening recommendations last year.
  • Starting at age 45, individuals with an average risk of colorectal cancer should undergo regular screening with one of six different tests depending on patient preference and test availability. These tests include a FIT (fecal immunochemical test) or FOBT (fecal occult blood test) every year, stool DNA test every three years, a CT colonography or flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years, or colonoscopy every 10 years. The recommendations do not prioritize any one test over another.
  • Following a positive result from a non-colonoscopy screening test, a timely follow-up colonoscopy should be performed.
  • Average-risk adults in good health should continue colorectal cancer screening through age 75.
  • For patients between 76 and 85, screening decisions should be made jointly with clinicians based on patient preferences, life expectancy, health status, and prior screening history.
  • Individuals over age 85 should be discouraged from continuing screening.
I think you are ok.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, insurance companies suck and Obama was an idiot for thinking that the federal government could make it more affordable by requiring people to have insurance.

I don't sleep well at night. It is not something new, but it is something that has been getting substantially worse over the past years. According to my wife, I have all the classic symptoms of sleep apnea. A few years ago, my doctor scheduled for me to have a sleep study done, but found out that I did not have enough symptoms for the insurance company to cover it. So I went a different route and went to an ENT because it was also connected with constant sinus infections. I was able to have sinus surgery that was partly covered by the insurance company but it was an epic struggle to get them to cover it.

Once again, my new doctor (the old one retired thanks to Obama Care), has scheduled me for a sleep study, with the updated symptoms, including waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air, being constantly tired during the day, always having restless sleep, very loud snoring, and a host of other things. Once again, we request a sleep study... and once again the insurance company denies the request.

I am quite sure that I will need to die before they will cover it.

So with that being said, does anyone have any suggestion on how to deal with Sleep Apnea that does not require a sleep study be done?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well, insurance companies suck and Obama was an idiot for thinking that the federal government could make it more affordable by requiring people to have insurance.

I don't sleep well at night. It is not something new, but it is something that has been getting substantially worse over the past years. According to my wife, I have all the classic symptoms of sleep apnea. A few years ago, my doctor scheduled for me to have a sleep study done, but found out that I did not have enough symptoms for the insurance company to cover it. So I went a different route and went to an ENT because it was also connected with constant sinus infections. I was able to have sinus surgery that was partly covered by the insurance company but it was an epic struggle to get them to cover it.

Once again, my new doctor (the old one retired thanks to Obama Care), has scheduled me for a sleep study, with the updated symptoms, including waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air, being constantly tired during the day, always having restless sleep, very loud snoring, and a host of other things. Once again, we request a sleep study... and once again the insurance company denies the request.

So with that being said, does anyone have any suggestion on how to deal with Sleep Apnea that does not require a sleep study be done?
Both my kids had sleep studies done at home with a medical device that recorded their sleep, pulse oxygen, etc. We mailed the device back to the company and they forwarded the results to my kids doctors. It obviously wasn't as in-depth as my in-hospital sleep study, but it sufficed to get them prescriptions for cPap machines. I would look into it as an alternative if I were you.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

You might ask for an in-home sleep study. A friend used the AccuSom one (www.novasom.com) and paid out of pocket for it which was about $300. Their physician faxed the request in.