• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING What's For Lunch Thread

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You guys are too much.

*Fetches Progresso can from pantry*

jsk1983

Cyburbian
You guys are too much.

*Fetches Progresso can from pantry*

I actually made it a few days ago and reheated it. Its really not much work. I bought a container of celery and carrot sticks which I chopped up, added a chicken breast which I boiled, added noodles, black pepper and salt (I didn't think the broth had much taste).

It looks like I'm out of luck for making homemade soup. Most of Maister's qualifuications are in violation of city code. Of course there are a few stores that sell live chickens (in Mexican neighborhoods).

btrage

Cyburbian
Leftover pork roast and peas. Better than PB&J, but still not real exciting..:r:

zman

Cyburbian
Well, I am beginning to think about this topic as the office closes for lunch in an hour...

Ran out of homemade bread this morning.
No more left overs.

I do have some wheat pasta and homemade basil pesto.
I do have items with which to make a quesadilla (be it Italian/Greek style or Mexican style).
Maybe I'll do a shake.
I could go to the rude people at the local restaurant and get some green chili...

Hmmm... many choices.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
black bean burrito for me, from the fast-food mexican joint. i found someone's hair in it halfway through. :-c i got a $10 coupon and 3 free taco coupons as compensation. :r:

zman

Cyburbian
black bean burrito for me, from the fast-food mexican joint. i found someone's hair in it halfway through. :-c i got a $10 coupon and 3 free taco coupons as compensation. :r:

When I find something wrong with my chow at a restaurant, the last thing I want is more food from the same establishment... :r::-x

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Sub sandwich, BMT on Italian Herbs & Cheese Bread, pepperjack cheese,toasted w/lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos and spicy mustard. Chips & a Coke. All from the place that Jarod shills for.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I brown bagged it: chicken salad sandwich on dark german wheat bread, wheat thins with veggie cream cheese dip, and lemon yogurt for dessert.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I had a nice homemade roast beef sub on a white roll, while reading the newest Kathy Reichs novel and watching the catfight on "The View". It's a wonder I don't have indigestion...:r:

Tomorrow, I'll have leftover hot and sour soup and my sinuses will be clear for a month.

zman

Cyburbian
Authentic Tamales from the tamale lady that stopped by my wife's office.

btrage

Cyburbian
Quesadilla potluck at the office.

I'm feeling anti-social today; I'll probably go grab some fast food. :r:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Authentic Tamales from the tamale lady that stopped by my wife's office.

Oooh...I am jealous! I haven't had a great tamale since I left the west coast. Pasteles which are the Puerto Rican version are ok but they aren't a replacement! I brought some leftover ham and navy bean soup with me today. Yes, I work alone.

zman

Cyburbian
Oooh...I am jealous! I haven't had a great tamale since I left the west coast. Pasteles which are the Puerto Rican version are ok but they aren't a replacement! I brought some leftover ham and navy bean soup with me today. Yes, I work alone.

This is one thing I love about my part of Colorado. The agricultural economy insures many migrants from Mexico and Central America who market their authentic cuisine.
I know a couple places in Greeley where the food is great. The kind of places on the "wrong side of the tracks" where I am the only person of European descent in there. It helps me with my Spanish and the food is second to none.

I really want to perfect authentic Mexican beans and rice at my house. What I make is decent, but nothing like what I can get in local restaurants.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
The kind of places on the "wrong side of the tracks" where I am the only person of European descent in there.

[OT]Not to nit-pick (sure), but they're mostly of European descent as well. Just came in from a different direction. [/OT]

I think I'll go to Chik-Fil-A for lunch today. Need some of them nuggets and fries.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is one thing I love about my part of Colorado. The agricultural economy insures many migrants from Mexico and Central America who market their authentic cuisine.
I know a couple places in Greeley where the food is great. The kind of places on the "wrong side of the tracks" where I am the only person of European descent in there. It helps me with my Spanish and the food is second to none.

I really want to perfect authentic Mexican beans and rice at my house. What I make is decent, but nothing like what I can get in local restaurants.

I know what you mean having lived most my life in Oregon. There are many people of Mexican and Central American origin and I employed a fair number of them over the years. They all knew that my weaknesses are tamales and rellenos so they would often indulge me :) There is one place here that we go to occasionally which is pretty good and I am usually the only white person in there, but they don't do tamales. A friend of mine refers to it as the "Too Mexican" place.

Planit

Cyburbian
Something @ Target (I have to go there during lunch to get birthday present for Wee P)

maybe this should have gone in the dull thread :r:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Finished up some leftover pasta I made the other day. I forget the name of the dish, but the recipe called for chopped plum tomatoes, kalamata olives, and capers with a topping of grated parmesan. YUM.

zman

Cyburbian
Two Hebrew Nationals on a whole wheat bun.

One: Kraut, Dill Relish, Spicy Brown Mustard, and Ketchup.

The Other: Caramelized Onions and Corky's Memphis BBQ Sauce.

Now I must find some gum if I am to interact with society... +o(

Veloise

Cyburbian
Meal exchange

Kiss! Man and I set up an informal food-sharing program. I have a bunch of flat lidded Chinese take-out dishes from holidays at my sis's, and it's simple to make twice as much of whatever I am preparing for myself.

Last night I fixed up some of the fridge incident survivors, pasta sauce and raviloli. And a Foreman-grilled pita with mediterranean stuff from the deli.

He's traded that for a large container of chicken soup which will soon be gone. Clearly home-made (he's doing better than me on that). And he made an apple pie last night, perfectly timed to be done after my banjo club session.

Last week I did up a package of Zatarain's black beans & rice, and some chicken stew (with huge handfulls off my dried-out rosemary holiday tree).

This is nice. I get to cook mama style (with six in the fam-of-origin, I learned to cook for a crowd, not for one). I don't have to eat the same dang thing day after day. Someone else gets to experience something different, as do I (looks like slices of broccoli stem in the soup). And it's fun!

We were discussing the winging-it method, a pinch of this and a handful of that. I mentioned my French onion soup, which I have not made in probably years. Produce section, here we come.

Planit

Cyburbian
a french dip sandwich while at a lunch meeting the an area citizen advocacy group talking about our new UDO (I got heartburn now and not because of the sandwich).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Free veggie pizza at a school sponsored speaker's lunch on foreclosure. I am such a grad student.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Mrs. ofos roasted a smallish turkey last night for dinner so I had a cold turkey sandwich with lettuce on whole-wheat bread. Had german mustard on it but rather have slathered it up with mayonnaise. Wouldn't you know that she had hidden the mayo in my blind spot? Front & center. Didn't find it until too late. Oh, also had some corn chips for filler.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Roast beef on white, with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Salt and vinegar chips. Then I caved and had a little bowl of coffee ice cream. Yum. :) Maybe I needed some extra calories because I was doing yard work today...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have not had fast food in months. The other day I craved a Big Mac. It was surprisingly horrible. What was I thinking.

zman

Cyburbian
I have more tuna on wheat toast. I must make more bread soon though.

I need to shop tonight, maybe something good for tomorrow's lunch will come about.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I just had sourdough toast with raspberry-rhubarb jam. YUM.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am working the Subway diet and Subway savings plans. Buy a footlong subway club with all the fixings sans cheese and eat it for two days (6" per day). $5 gets me two meals and only about 500 calories each day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I am having saturday brunch with 9 of Milwaukee's most fabulous homosexuals. :-|
Perkins, beware!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cyburbia is a professional site so it's exempt from my Lenten sacrifice, TOFB!

I was going to go to an unnamed bakery where mainstream people like me get abused because I don't have enough hemp on (they do make great food though) but instead I picked up a take-a-way dish of American Chop Suey at a deli which is a childhood favorite dish that I still love but my husband hates so I never make it at home - and it was awesome! :)

Planit

Cyburbian
yesterday was free pizza leftover from an RPO meeting

today was chinese buffett - which my tummy is now letting me know it was not appreciated...gotta run!

zman

Cyburbian
Two Hebrew Nationals on a whole wheat bun.

One: Kraut, Dill Relish, Spicy Brown Mustard, and Ketchup.

The Other: Caramelized Onions and Corky's Memphis BBQ Sauce.

Now I must find some gum if I am to interact with society... +o(

AGAIN! :-D:-D

nrschmid

Cyburbian
I guess this would be more for dinner, but I cooked it at home on my lunch break.

Broiled pork chops marinated in a honey mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed peas, and my signature apple/pear sauce with amaretto/cinnamon reduction.

Yes, I cook like this alot for myself to save on bills, and honestly it's not as difficult as you think (about 40-45 minutes work all from scratch). Now if only I could make LEED studying sound more appetizing ;-)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Just polished off a container of leftover whole wheat spaghetti with bitter greens (in this case, rapini, a/k/a broccoli rabe) and garlic. Good thing no one is coming around today. :D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Arni's pizza -- "Serving Indiana for over 40 years" -- pepperoni, slightly burnt edges.
Now, if I could just get them to slice it the right way, it'd be close to perfect (for Indiana pizza, anyway).:)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
'Cue. (grunt) All that needs to be said. Even though it was catered, I still smell like smoke.

The One

Cyburbian
Oh Yeah!

I just pulled (with some effort) a six inch black hair out of my 1/2 eaten bean burrito:-c:victory:+o(8-!:-s:u::s: One of the beans was fused to the end of the hair after having fully extracted the fibruous visitor:-c

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just pulled (with some effort) a six inch black hair out of my 1/2 eaten bean burrito:-c:victory:+o(8-!:-s:u::s: One of the beans was fused to the end of the hair after having fully extracted the fibruous visitor:-c

oh man, instant barf bag! :-c:victory:+o(

nothing freaks me out more than that, ugh

Planit

Cyburbian
one of Dominos new sub sandwiches...it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be...actually not all that bad (and it was free 'cause of a meeting)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
chicken salad, diced fruit, salad (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot & raisin) and half a croissant.