• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING What's For Lunch Thread

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leftover fra diavolo with chicken sausage...all that's missing is the red wine that I consumed it with last night.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Leftover homemade pasta with creamy pesto sauce and chicken. Like kjelsadek all that's missing was the wine from last night. And the yummy chocolate dessert.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
ZG and I went to lunch today at Carrabba's. Oh, the sights we saw.

Long Island Barbra and Liza (Liza wearing a black belt with "Chanel" written in metallic script on the leather), and the Rat Pack dining at the next table. People watching is fascinating. Liza was 60 yo if she was a day (channeling Minelli in about 1964 with the black boots and black skirt that zipped up the front). She was with the guy who was in the rat pack black suit and in charge of the table (the one who talks all the time and everyone else has to listen).

Barb had the Barb bob, nose, and makeup, and was with the incongruous guy in a tacky shirt with a bunch of keys hanging from his belt.

Then there was Rhoda's mom with the guy with his collar points outside his shiny jacket. Sheesh.

What were people from Long Island doing here? Shouldn't they be in Boca or Naples? They all (except key guy) looked like they were hoping they were at a party with Dean and Sammie and Frank.

ZG wouldn't let me get my camera from the car to take pics. Damn.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
For the last three days days it's been turkey sandwiches. I'm guessing turkey sandwich today too.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
A bowl of romaine and arugula with cucumber and green onion. Needless to say, I was starving an hour later. Must. Eat. Light. Between. Holiday. Over. Indulgences.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I put on a pound over the last weekend, so it's been soup and a salad for lunch all week for me. Not that I mind. It's been chilly here.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Leftover whole wheat penne with sauteed asparagus, broccoli, and portobella mushrooms in pesto sauce. Topped with parmesan cheese. Yum!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Leftover whole wheat penne with sauteed asparagus, broccoli, and portobella mushrooms in pesto sauce. Topped with parmesan cheese. Yum!

That sounds fantastic!

I'll probably have a toasted cheese-and-tomato sandwich and some Banilla yogurt for lunch. And hot tea... I cannot stop yawning this morning!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Some sort of odd rice pilaf thing...it was a kitchen experiment that didn't quite turn out, though it tastes better than it sounds.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm getting a free lunch today from a coworker who I bought lunch for one day last week while we were out of the office. I'm trying to decide between the local Mongolian BBQ chain or 5 Guys...

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
That sounds fantastic!

I'll probably have a toasted cheese-and-tomato sandwich and some Banilla yogurt for lunch. And hot tea... I cannot stop yawning this morning!

It is quite yummy! It is just a little something I threw together that has now become one of our staples. Delicious & nutritious!

But what I wouldn't give for a grilled cheese sandwich...

I'm getting a free lunch today from a coworker who I bought lunch for one day last week while we were out of the office. I'm trying to decide between the local Mongolian BBQ chain or 5 Guys...

The Mongolian BBQ gets my vote.

wahday

Cyburbian
Heading over to a local New Mexican cuisine place a few blocks from my work.

I think someone is going to offer me a job. Or at least offer that they want to offer me a job...

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Some kind of Parmesan-chicken pasta combination. It was pretty good, but it probably would have been better if it were home-made from scratch rather than a hamburger-helper type mix.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
We have been on a grape leaf kick at home. We make them about once per week. Left over grape leaves are just as yummy as fresh ones. Plus some homemade fatoosh and hummus.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We have been on a grape leaf kick at home. We make them about once per week. Left over grape leaves are just as yummy as fresh ones. Plus some homemade fatoosh and hummus.

You mean like the Greek-style stuffed grape leaves? Do you make your own? I could eat those straight out of the can :-$ if I didn't know how much sodium content they have. Even so, a few stuffed grape leaves with a salad or hummus... divine! :p Before they became more widely available in the ethnic section of the supermarket, I used to buy stuffed grape leaves by the pound at NYC delis.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
You mean like the Greek-style stuffed grape leaves? Do you make your own?

Yes we make our own! They are actually pretty easy to make. You just get yourself some grape leaves - either fresh from the vine or from a jar. If they are fresh you just have to wash them and soak them for 24 hours, if they are from a jar then you can use them as is. Then you pick what you want to stuff them with. We have been using ground beef. Lamb is traditional but very expensive in Hawaii. Mix raw ground beef and uncooked rice together. We are still experimenting with the perfect ratio, but so far 1 lb of ground beef and 1-2 cups of rice has produced great results. Then roll the mixture up into the grape leaves and place in a pot. Pack them as tightly as you can so they don't come unrolled while cooking. Next, add enough water to just cover the grape leaves and boil the grape leaves in the water with the juice of 2 medium lemons (you can add more for a tangier result, or less if you don't like the sour flavor it produces) for about 45 minutes.

We have found that placing something on top of the grape leaves in the pot while they are boiling helps prevent them from unrolling. We are using a slightly smaller saucepan with some water in it for now, until we find a better solution. They turn out AMAZING.

Planit

Cyburbian
The annual employees holiday luncheon is today. Last year it was ham or chicken so I figure it might be a repeat offense. Details to follow.

Planit

Cyburbian
The annual employees holiday luncheon is today. Last year it was ham or chicken so I figure it might be a repeat offense. Details to follow.

Yep, it was ham and chicken breast with green beans, sweet potato cass and mac/cheese. Banana pudding or apple pie for dessert. At least the ham wasn't an iradescent green this year.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
A variety of fruit-filled and meat-filled kolaches from the Little Czech Bakery in West, Texas. If any of you should ever find yourself on I-35 in between Waco and and I-35E/I-35W split in Hillsboro, Texas, you should definitely stop in.

yum!

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I spend my lunch breaks at my internship hunting and applying for jobs (and not eating).

How's THAT for dedicated!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
A variety of fruit-filled and meat-filled kolaches from the Little Czech Bakery in West, Texas. If any of you should ever find yourself on I-35 in between Waco and and I-35E/I-35W split in Hillsboro, Texas, you should definitely stop in.

yum!

You Are Right - this is one of the best reasons to drive down I-35, rather than fly. Stop here and get yummy road treats, and get a box to go for the next morning!!

When I was in college, we'd plan our drives to San Antonio and back around eating times. Just so we could stop there and eat, and not have to wait long.

wahday

Cyburbian

yum!

Thanks for the recommendation. My aunt and uncle live in Hillsboro. I'll mention it to them and stop in the next time I go for a visit.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Over the weekend my hubbie made some of the best chili I've ever had... so I had leftover chili for lunch. Perfect for a cold, snowy, yucky-weather day. :)

btrage

Cyburbian
Over the weekend my hubbie made some of the best chili I've ever had... so I had leftover chili for lunch. Perfect for a cold, snowy, yucky-weather day. :)

I made my best chili yest this weekend! Southern style recipe I found. Then had it for leftovers for dinner last night, and I finished it up during lunch today. :)

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
OOOOO... I love chili!!! Yum!

Today I am having leftover pasta, it is a lovely conglomeration of rotini noodles, chicken breast, roasted asparagus, onions, broccoli, feta, and pesto.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
2-day old leftover "Southwestern Enchiladas" (chicken, green chile sauce, and cheese on blue corn tortillas topped with a fried egg, over-easy) from Chuy's.

btrage

Cyburbian
Just finished a pot-luck Taco Bar lunch for my staff planner who is leaving. I feel gross.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I will redeem my free meal coupon at Baja Fresh.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Just finished a pot-luck Taco Bar lunch for my staff planner who is leaving. I feel gross.

It's on my list of things to avoid: "Homemade taco fixin's from a variety of people I know very casually". It's right before "High School Crushes" and right after "Angry Shellfish".

btrage

Cyburbian

It's on my list of things to avoid: "Homemade taco fixin's from a variety of people I know very casually". It's right before "High School Crushes" and right after "Angry Shellfish".

My grossness is more of a "I am undescribeably full", as opposed to the food was yucky. ;)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I had a multi-grain wrap with roasted garlic hummus, baby greens, and grilled chicken.

Now I'm eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Heart. :l:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Though I'm not Catholic, I married one and fathered two more, thus I have Catholic guilt by association.:a:

Since it is Lent, I had shrimp, mac and cheese, with whole wheat toast. it's the first shrimp I've consumed since the Gulf disaster, and I think I'll wait another year before I have any more.:-x

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
My grossness is more of a "I am undescribeably full", as opposed to the food was yucky. ;)

My bad. I would still consider putting it on your list...one day you'll meet a pot-luck taco or potato bar at work that will make you want to die.....