• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last thing on the grill -

what: hamburgers
how prepared: onions, salt, pepper, grated irish cheddar, and garlic powder
type of grilling: quick lite charcoal
conclusion: yum-my. Next time watch how long grilled some patties tended to be well-done

btrage

Cyburbian
What: hamburgers
How Prepared: ground beef mixed with 1 egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper
Type of Grilling: Gas
Conclusion: Pretty good, standards burgers.

I also grilled some onions in aluminum foil to go with the burgers

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Carne asada a few nights ago. Thin cut flank marinated in beer, lime, garlic, and soy. Conclusion: tacotastic.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Last night:

What: Pork loin
How prepared: homemade rub
Type of grilling: gas (indirect heat), with some hickory wood chips for smoke
Conclusion: I rule

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
When: Saturday, but we grill out all year round.
What: Hamburgers and Brats
How Prepared: Ground beef and seasonings over medium flame. Brats, open package and put on the grill :D
Type of Grilling: Gas, and I'm completely fine with that.
Conclusion: Ate with the windows open, which made it the best meal in a while - I am LOVING this weather and can't wait for more of it.

Planit

Cyburbian
last weekend:

What: Pork Chops
How Prepared: garlic salt & cracked pepper, brushing homemade bbq sauce lightly while cooking
Type of Grill: gas
Conclusion: oh so delicious

Cooking Time: drinking one pint of Southern Tier Pale

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I also grilled some onions in aluminum foil to go with the burgers
when grilling onions I usually just toss an onion on. Once it's cooked the skin pops right off. sweet onions this way are delicious and I eat them just like an apple off the grill.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Tonight: Baby back ribs with our Memphis rub. (ZG adds bbq sauce to her ribs after they're cooked.) As always, I'll be cooking indirect using a blend of lump mesquite and charcoal.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
We have two briskets "corning" in the fridge...one will become corned beef the other pastrami. The pastrami goes on the smoker friday and everyone coming over for St. Paddy's day gets a the best party favor of all...more meat.

btrage

Cyburbian
when grilling onions I usually just toss an onion on. Once it's cooked the skin pops right off. sweet onions this way are delicious and I eat them just like an apple off the grill.
Interesting. I'll have to try it that way.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
I will take an onion and cut the top off and push a beef fullion cube into the center, put a pat of butter on the top, hit it with salt and pepper and wrap in foil and leave it on the grill for 30 minutes or so. You can't eat it like an apple but it goes great with almost anything.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night
What: BBQ Pork Chops
How Prepared: Open Pit [SUB]TM[/SUB] bbq sauce light coating while cooking. heavy coat at end
Conclusion: 1 of the 3 chops was ever so slightly overcooked the other 2 were perfect.
Grilling beverage: Bells Amber Ale

Richmond Jake

Big hunk of meat. I think it's a brisket--coated in Montreal seasoning. I don't think I've ever eaten brisket--that I know of.
Some stuff on the side.

kms

Cyburbian
Marinaded sirloin served with homemade pita and yogurt sauce. Son didn't really care for it, but I'd make it again.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear's grillin' plans for later this summer-like Sunday in the lower Great Lakes.....

What: BBQ pork chops, thick-sliced
How Prepared: Dab of pepper, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
Grill Media: Propane (and not at all apologetic, like Obama was concerning the Koran burning ;))
Sides: Not sure (hmmmmmm.....)
Serving Plates: Will pick the best from our eclectic "eccentric collection"
Grilling Beverage: Rolling Rock (Bear) and wine (Katie)

We only grilled a few times during the long but not-so-cold-or-snowy winter. Time to kick-it into grillin' gear. :)

Chef Bear

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Beautiful unseasonably warm weather in upstate NY so last night we had sirloin steaks marinated in a homemade marinade. We were going to have healthy vegetarian pasta tonight but because the weather is so nice Hubby requested/suggested that we grill out again tonight. So Hubby is enjoying a beer while he grills turkey burgers for me and brats for him.

Baked sweet potato fries for our side.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Any women have views about grilling men's use of montreal seasoning? I have a few unofficial (non-Cyb) comments. What is that stuff, anyway, and why do men like it so much?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Any women have views about grilling men's use of montreal seasoning? I have a few unofficial (non-Cyb) comments. What is that stuff, anyway, and why do men like it so much?
I think we have 4 or 5 montreal seasonings in our spice cabinet. My FIL keeps sending it to us. I think we used it once. Not my cup o'tea.

Planit

Cyburbian
Saturday night:

Hotdogs on the grill can't be beat. Take 'em out of the pack and place on grill, trun occassionally.

We had a taste test between Oscar Mayer & Ball Park. There was a split decision - no clear winner.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night
What: grilled brats
How Prepared: slathered in Uncle Bob's Sauce
Conclusion: Just as you'd expect....scrumpdiddlyumptious.
Grilling beverage: Bells Third Coast Beer . To be honest this is really more of a summer beer that one might drink to cool off on a hot day. It was 60ish yesterday, but the beer was adequate to the task.

wahday

Cyburbian
I TIRED to make pizza on the grill last Saturday. Only there was a lot less propane in the tank than I thought, so it petered out before I even got the first one on...:( Adapted it to the even, but it wasn't the same.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Easter Saturday -

What: Lamb sausage for me (in a pork casing), roasted red pepper and garlic chicken sausage for Mrs. Bubba (in a lamb casing...go figure)
How Prepared: No prep needed
Conclusion: :D

Easter Sunday -

What: Beef roast, rosemary demi baguette
How Prepared: Pesto rub (beef); olive oil, sea salt, black pepper (bread)
Type of Grill: gas (indirect heat)
Conclusion: Perfect medium rare for the beef

Planit

Cyburbian
For Mothers Day dinner for/with in-laws.

What: Chicken Drumsticks
How Prepared: washed and patted with a garlic olive oil
Type of Grill: Gas
How cooked: grilled drumsticks for about 40 mins over a low/medium setting; basted Carolina Treat bbq sauce at the end leaving the lid open to dry the sauce.
Sides on grill: corn on cob and butter wrapped in foil (on the upper rack).
Cooking beverage: Epic Brewing's IPA
Conclusion: Brother-in-law asked how I did that so he could repeat it. Everyone enjoyed.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Last night this Bear grilled:

Johnsville Cheddar & Beer Brats :p
Mushrooms (with onions and garlic)

Fresh whole wheat buns, chopped onions, Tony Packo Hot Dog Sauce, spicy mustard

Gas, as always.

Yum City, USA. :p

Bear

btrage

Cyburbian
I was the grill master both Saturday and Sunday night. At my friend's house Saturday I grilled ribs, brats and chicken.

At my parents' last night I grilled beef and chicken kabobs.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I too was Grillmaster both Sat and Sun.
Sat - grilled chicken on charcoal grill
Sun - grilled steak on charcoal grill

Bubba

Cyburbian
We're getting into the time of year when I'm grilling three to five nights a week...

Last night:

What: swordfish
How Prepared: simple marinade for about an hour (olive oil, white wine, kosher salt, black pepper)
Type of Grill: gas (eight minutes on medium heat)
Conclusion: Served with a garlic butter sauce - pretty darn good

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What: steak
How Prepared: Montreal steak seasoning rub (first time I tried this)
Type of Grill: charcoal (mine med & the missus' med well)
Conclusion: You hear so much about Montreal steak seasonings these days, I figured it was way overhyped - found out it was only a little overhyped. I will probably alternate between dry rubs and marinades henceforth

wahday

Cyburbian
Grilled pizza Saturday night for a party for my wife's birthday. Not the first time I've done it, but the first time this year. Always awesome!

btrage

Cyburbian
Grilled pizza Saturday night for a party for my wife's birthday. Not the first time I've done it, but the first time this year. Always awesome!
That's one thing I've never grilled. I must try. Any tips?

Since we've moved into the new place, we haven't grilled yet. I got a new propane, 4-burner grill for Fathers Day, but still haven't bought a propane tank. Must get on that!

Planit

Cyburbian
Since we've moved into the new place, we haven't grilled yet. I got a new propane, 4-burner grill for Fathers Day, but still haven't bought a propane tank. Must get on that!
Dude, where's your priorities?!?!

wahday

Cyburbian
That's one thing I've never grilled. I must try. Any tips?
I use the recipe from Steven Raichlen (the Barbecue Bible). The dough has oil which helps it not stick. Takes about 2 hours to prep the dough (needs to rise, be punched, then rise again)

Essentially you have one side on med/high and the other on med/low. You put the dough on the hot side for a few minutes to cook the underside a little. Then flip, move to cooler side, assemble (brushing with oil and garlic before adding toppings) then slide back over to the hot side. I make several small ones and just have a ton of toppings handy. This time it was pesto, raw mozzarella, feta, fresh tomatoes, and mushrooms (and sauce). Once you start grilling, the whole process moves very quickly.

Its…tremendous!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
For the fourth we had cheeburga cheeburga Pepsi cheeburga Pepsi:D

I've been grilling exclusively with charcoal lately and discovered that if I poked holes in the foil the burger grease smokes when it drips onto the charcoal giving the patties a delightfully smokey taste. I'm going to experiment more with this technique of intentionally trying to get things to smoke more.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Yesterday was a bbq first for me! bbq lobster tails. I cut the shell legthwise down the middle, stuck a skewer through each tail to keep them straight and grilled them about 4 minutes on each side while brushing very lightly with butter. They turned out not too bad. I will definitely try this one again.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Yesterday was a bbq first for me! bbq lobster tails. I cut the shell legthwise down the middle, stuck a skewer through each tail to keep them straight and grilled them about 4 minutes on each side while brushing very lightly with butter. They turned out not too bad. I will definitely try this one again.
Lobster tails?!? You are an exotic rogue. Never let them tell you otherwise. I intend to bbq brats tonight since we were stuck at the in-laws yesterday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This weekend: hamburgers on the charcoal grill, but a friend turned me on to a new recipe where you mix in: grated cheese, onions, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and steak sauce into the meat before making the patties. I highly recommend it.

Richmond Jake

Tonight: Baby back ribs with our Memphis rub. (ZG adds bbq sauce to her ribs after they're cooked.) As always, I'll be cooking indirect using a blend of lump mesquite and charcoal.
Ditto. Cornbread and baked beans on the side tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Temps reached 68 yesterday! Which is remarkably warm for mid-November in my neck of the woods. In honor of this fact (and Veteran's Day) I fired up the charcoal grill one last time and grilled hamburgers. It was rather windy but not enough to keep the grill from doing its job.

btrage

Cyburbian
Temps reached 68 yesterday! Which is remarkably warm for mid-November in my neck of the woods. In honor of this fact (and Veteran's Day) I fired up the charcoal grill one last time and grilled hamburgers. It was rather windy but not enough to keep the grill from doing its job.
I grilled last week on Thursday. Italian sausages and hot dogs.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Ran out of gas while grilling chicken breasts last week. Finished with the microwave to save time. Bleeeah. I like my meats properly carbonized.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Last night:

What: Salmon
How Prepared: Rub (Sierra Nevada Porter Mustard, smoked paprika, dill, sea salt, black pepper)
Type of Grill: Gas
How cooked: Medium heat (direct), 9 minutes without flipping (skin side down)
Conclusion: :D

Top Bottom