• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Redemption occurred last night. I grilled porterhouse steaks and they turned out fine. Plus, we got the pizza box cleaned up (sauce and cheese got on the stone) and ready for the next run. Important lessons were learned from last time: first and foremost, don't chintz on charcoal. Second, be sure to put dry yeast in warm water and make sure it's active before mixing with the dough. Lastly, don't make crusts too thin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We grilled pizza again on Saturday. I'm still working the kinks out in our pizza making system but still managed to produce two very tasty pizzas that were on par with pizzeria pizza. We're still experimenting with the process. I discovered Pillsbury pizza dough tastes like....Pillsbury dough. We threw the pizza with the Pillsbury crust out.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Last night: chicken thighs (red wine vinegar and mustard based marinade with rosemary and other herbs and seasonings), followed by rustic Italian bread (olive oil, kosher salt, cracked black pepper - placed on the grill where the chicken had been, rubbed with garlic afterwards, topped with lightly dressed pea shoots and herbs).

Planit

Cyburbian
Last night - a big Fred Flintstone ribeye with garlic salt and cracked black pepper, green beans from Memaw's garden with browned butter and roasted potatoes drizzled with olive oil and a dried herb mix.

I only came to this conclusion when Mrs. P said I was in charge of dinner about 4:00. I went to the grocery store with the sole intent on finding what looked good in the butcher section (& on sale), then figured out the rest.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night - bbq baby back ribs. Smoked to perfection on a Weber kettle grill using indirect heat and cherrywood charcoal. Had a bit of a challenge maintaining a consistent temp throughout, but four hours later both racks were ready and the meat was falling off the bone. Mmm mmm! Applied a rub consisting of: brown sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, and Spanish smoked paprika. At the end applied some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (cut 5:1 with apple cider vinegar just to thin it out a bit). Served with French fries and baked beans. Other important details: the beer consumed while grilling was a few tall boys of Hamm's. Beer served with dinner was Lattitude 42 amber ale.

1565613573680.png

Planit

Cyburbian
Last night it was Nathan's All Beef hot dogs and corn on the cob from Memaw's garden.
Simple. Easy. So. Very. Good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night it was Nathan's All Beef hot dogs and corn on the cob from Memaw's garden.
Simple. Easy. So. Very. Good.
So how was Memaw's corn? We know you included the word "good" in your descriptors, but how would the corn rate on, say, a 1 - 100 scale?

Planit

Cyburbian
Extremely good. Nice and sweet. We rolled in in foil with butter, garlic salt and lemon pepper (was going to try kjel's mix but didn't get to it).

I would rate it an 8.5 out of 10. They were picked Sunday. Still have 8 ears to grill until I have to back and pick more.

Planit

Cyburbian
Grilled chicken legs last night with this sauce.
Image result for carolina treet bbq sauce

Very good results & paired with cheesy broccoli and crinkle cuts fries. YUM!

• Love
Reactions: kms

AG74683

Cyburbian
I know it's winter but I'm looking towards summer. I think it's time to get a proper smoker. I've been wanting a charcoal smoker forever, but decided I just don't have the time to mess with it. I think I've settled on a pellet smoker. I think I will go with THIS one. The brand gets great reviews from what I can tell and is cheaper than Traegar for the same product basically. Plus I can get it from Amazon.

Anyone ever used a pellet smoker? Heard of this brand?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There's currently several inches of snow on the ground here. That didn't stop me from grilling burgers outdoors yesterday. Nor should it stop you. Just grab a shovel, clear out a space on your back patio/deck, get a lawn chair, crack open an Old Style, put on a coat (optional) and plunk down ye olde Weber charcoal grill and enjoy some steak, chicken or burgers.

I know it's winter but I'm looking towards summer. I think it's time to get a proper smoker. I've been wanting a charcoal smoker forever, but decided I just don't have the time to mess with it. I think I've settled on a pellet smoker. I think I will go with THIS one. The brand gets great reviews from what I can tell and is cheaper than Traegar for the same product basically. Plus I can get it from Amazon.

Anyone ever used a pellet smoker? Heard of this brand?
Here's a review:

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I will grill even in the middle of winter (northern hemisphere winter that is).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So I use the smoker a lot these days. The automatic hopper makes the most god awful noise when it is really cold out, but it still works fine. I like going outside in the cold and smell the amazing smell of cooked meats.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Lunch dinner on Christmas day:

Beef sirloin and boneless NY strip steaks and homemade burgers

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My brother grilled Salmon - the next day sandwich was also good.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So I use the smoker a lot these days. The automatic hopper makes the most god awful noise when it is really cold out, but it still works fine. I like going outside in the cold and smell the amazing smell of cooked meats.
What smoker is it?

I've decided to go with the Camp Chef DLX 24. I'm going to pool as many Amazon gift cards as I can from birthday/Christmas and hopefully have it for the Super Bowl. I have no place to put it though. It'll have to live in my screen room for the time being. I'll move it out to the carport when I want to cook.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What smoker is it?

I've decided to go with the Camp Chef DLX 24. I'm going to pool as many Amazon gift cards as I can from birthday/Christmas and hopefully have it for the Super Bowl. I have no place to put it though. It'll have to live in my screen room for the time being. I'll move it out to the carport when I want to cook.
I kinda went OP. I bought a Yoder 640. To say that I love it though is an understatement. It was made in the USA and is built like a tank. Pricey as all get out though...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I kinda went OP. I bought a Yoder 640. To say that I love it though is an understatement. It was made in the USA and is built like a tank. Pricey as all get out though...
Holy crap, that's way out of my price range! The one I'm looking at is around $450 - $500. I wish I could find a model to see in person though.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Holy crap, that's way out of my price range! The one I'm looking at is around $450 - $500. I wish I could find a model to see in person though.
Yea, my buddy has a Traeger and loves it. I also want a Big Green Egg, which is a bit different. I like the pellet grills because they are basically set it and forget it. With some watching of course.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yea, my buddy has a Traeger and loves it. I also want a Big Green Egg, which is a bit different. I like the pellet grills because they are basically set it and forget it. With some watching of course.
For years I wanted to go the charcoal smoker route, probably a Weber Smokey Mountain. I determined I just don't have the time, nor patience, to deal with that anymore. Hence, the pellet smoker. I invested in a Thermopro TP20 earlier this month and I think it'll work well with a smoker.

Planit

Cyburbian
Grilled pork chops last night. They were very tasty. Just sprinkled with a rub I was given at Christmas to try.

Think I'll grill later this week too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wanted to grill tonight but the condition of the patio is a problem, as I did not clear it of snow earlier, and now it's a wretched combination of snow and big old ice chunks. I don't really have a flat surface upon which to put the grill now.:(

AG74683

Cyburbian
The smoker arrived and has cooked its first meal (sorry, I forgot pictures, maybe for the second one!). It was AWESOME. Best ribs I've ever had, and the easiest smoke I've ever done. I also tried some smoked Cheez Its. They turned out okay, but I used too much seasoning and they're pretty salty. I'll use less oil and seasoning for the second batch. They did pick up a good smoke flavor though.

I had read that the pellet smokers don't put out enough smoke and the Camp Chef's have problems with leaky smoke at the door, but I didn't experience that. I did buy a seal for the door, but it's unlikely that I'll use that (at least for now).

kms

Cyburbian
The smoker arrived and has cooked its first meal (sorry, I forgot pictures, maybe for the second one!). It was AWESOME. Best ribs I've ever had, and the easiest smoke I've ever done. I also tried some smoked Cheez Its. They turned out okay, but I used too much seasoning and they're pretty salty. I'll use less oil and seasoning for the second batch. They did pick up a good smoke flavor though.

I had read that the pellet smokers don't put out enough smoke and the Camp Chef's have problems with leaky smoke at the door, but I didn't experience that. I did buy a seal for the door, but it's unlikely that I'll use that (at least for now).
Did you try smoking Cheezits right out of the box? They come seasoned.

I put some dry roasted peanuts in the smoker while I was making something else. They were pretty good.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Did you try smoking Cheezits right out of the box? They come seasoned.

I put some dry roasted peanuts in the smoker while I was making something else. They were pretty good.
I read a few recipes and came to the conclusion that they needed some extra stuff. Most call for oil of some sort (I used olive, I'll try vegetable next). I also used some garlic jalapeno seasoning I had. I think I over did that though and the salt got out of hand. I'll try just regular ones next time and see how they work.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Salmon on the smoker was disappointing. Didn't take on much smoke flavor and since I did it on cedar planks the skin wasn't very crispy. I think the planks work only on wood burners with direct flame. I think I smoked it at too high of a temperature too. I needed to get it at 220 for the "high smoke" setting, but I did it at 250 because I was running out of time. Next time I'll dry brine them and smoke them as low as possible for as long as possible and see what happens.

Chicken thighs are next. I got skin on ones, but I think I'll regret that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Salmon on the smoker was disappointing. Didn't take on much smoke flavor and since I did it on cedar planks the skin wasn't very crispy. I think the planks work only on wood burners with direct flame. I think I smoked it at too high of a temperature too. I needed to get it at 220 for the "high smoke" setting, but I did it at 250 because I was running out of time. Next time I'll dry brine them and smoke them as low as possible for as long as possible and see what happens.

Chicken thighs are next. I got skin on ones, but I think I'll regret that.
I'm sure there's a learning curve with using smokers. Each is a little different and it takes time and practice to figure out the peculiarities of each smoker and the various types of meat.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Filled up my Traeger grate with drumsticks last night before the game. Smoked for 45 minutes then turned up the heat until internal was 175. Sauced the legs with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle sauce.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm grilling some simple steamed hams this afternoon for dinner. Sounds good to me, but really it's just my oldest son (12) and I that actually eat hamberders anyways.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So this past weekend for the first time I grilled a rolled pork loin. I've grilled smaller/thinner pork tenderloins on several previous occasions, but not a thicker rolled cut like this one. Coated the loin with olive oil and applied a liberal smoked maple rub. Used pecan hardwood charcoal and an indirect grill for about 110 minutes. I read up on it and cooking time is based on weight and verified through internal temperature. Because the center was not 100% thawed I was concerned we'd end up with an overcooked outside and raw interior, but that did not happen and the cook was more or less perfectly even. The only boo boo was I forgot to remove the thread trussing the roll after taking it off the grill. I realized what I did after cutting a piece and pulling out a two inch section of thread.

Planit

Cyburbian
A3D27F69-4B30-45A8-A725-598996087548.jpeg
Mrs. P likes thin cut pork chops so I grilled these up. Just a bit of Montreal seasoning.
That’s a Stone IPA in the glass

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I would like to barbecue some ribs. Sadly, I don't have any.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Continuing to try and stick to our normal schedule for eating out (converted to takeout/delivery for now) and trying to support the area restaurants that are still doing business, we took advantage of a deal our favorite local tavern was running yesterday - five of their thick 'ol hamburger patties, buns, fixings/condiments (including their tomato jam - no ketchup at this joint), salad, kettle chips, and five beers for $45. I'll be grilling up some darn good burgers tomorrow evening.

View attachment 48150
Mrs. P likes thin cut pork chops so I grilled these up. Just a bit of Montreal seasoning.
That’s a Stone IPA in the glass
Those thin chops are a good go-to for midweek grilling. Personally I prefer the thicker ribs chops when grilling.

Planit

Cyburbian
Those thin chops are a good go-to for midweek grilling. Personally I prefer the thicker ribs chops when grilling.

Me too, but …

I have been buying 2 packs of steaks, one thick & one thin cut, at a time. Separate into 'meal packs' including 1 thick and 2 thin cut steaks and freeze together. I also like a little more pink in mine than she does.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Sunday: Pork rib chops
Last night: Burgers
Tonight: Chicken breasts (to be cut up and eaten in tacos)
Tomorrow night: Sausages

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This past Sunday - grilled a couple medium sized sirloin steaks and one hamberder for oldest son.

The steaks were yummy.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I totally forgot to mention that I grilled a 2.5" thick tomahawk steak the other weekend. It was freaking MASSIVE. Actually turned out really well. Seared it initially and then moved it to the cooler side of the grill to finish. Ended up right at medium rare.

Planit

Cyburbian
Saturday night I grilled 36 chicken drumsticks for our Mothers Day gathering on Sunday. It took a couple hours to grill the entire batch & had to do it in 4 shifts.

Very nice outside in the low 60s so I didn't mind hanging outside, drink a beer or 2 & minding the grill.

My nephew (newly married and 20) asked how to grill them, which means he really liked them because he has never asked me advice or information his entire life.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Smoked three lamb burgers with feta cheese folded inside on Friday night. At some point during the cook, the smoker ran out of pellets and shut off. Whoops! I put them in the oven at 250 to reheat.

Best burgers I've ever had. I won't go back to regular ground beef, lamb is the perfect meat for burgers. And I will always pull that smoker out for burgers from here on out. They soak up smoke well and it makes them taste incredible. I ordered some cherry wood pellets and some hickory from Traeger this time around. I wanted to see if I can taste any difference between specific woods vs. a blend.

Planit

Cyburbian
Smoked three lamb burgers with feta cheese folded inside on Friday night. At some point during the cook, the smoker ran out of pellets and shut off. Whoops! I put them in the oven at 250 to reheat.

Best burgers I've ever had. I won't go back to regular ground beef, lamb is the perfect meat for burgers. And I will always pull that smoker out for burgers from here on out. They soak up smoke well and it makes them taste incredible. I ordered some cherry wood pellets and some hickory from Traeger this time around. I wanted to see if I can taste any difference between specific woods vs. a blend.

The local grocery store in this town doesn't have lamb that I've seen. I need to go to the city next door to the good grocery stores to get some. I've wanted to grill some chops for a while. Might need to look into the burger thing though. Sounds good.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The local grocery store in this town doesn't have lamb that I've seen. I need to go to the city next door to the good grocery stores to get some. I've wanted to grill some chops for a while. Might need to look into the burger thing though. Sounds good.
The meat came from Lowes Foods. I'll be defrosting lamb chops for tomorrows dinner, also from Lowes. Girlfriend works there and just gets loads of stuff for massive discounts. My freezer is absolutely chock full of stuff now. She went to some sort of butcher shop last week and picked up alligator fillets. Those should be interesting!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I grilled up four small cuts of beef tenderloin for Mother's Day yesterday. They were absolutely delicious.

I love lamb. The butcher counter at our local Kroger usually has "meatloaf mix" or whatever they call it which is like 60/30/10 lamb/ground beef/veal. I usually buy a couple of pounds when it's available because it makes great burgers and meatballs and is really good in chili too.

Next time I make an actual trip to the grocery store I'm hoping they either have a nice big cut of brisket or a big rack of lamb.