• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Redemption occurred last night. I grilled porterhouse steaks and they turned out fine. Plus, we got the pizza box cleaned up (sauce and cheese got on the stone) and ready for the next run. Important lessons were learned from last time: first and foremost, don't chintz on charcoal. Second, be sure to put dry yeast in warm water and make sure it's active before mixing with the dough. Lastly, don't make crusts too thin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We grilled pizza again on Saturday. I'm still working the kinks out in our pizza making system but still managed to produce two very tasty pizzas that were on par with pizzeria pizza. We're still experimenting with the process. I discovered Pillsbury pizza dough tastes like....Pillsbury dough. We threw the pizza with the Pillsbury crust out.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Last night: chicken thighs (red wine vinegar and mustard based marinade with rosemary and other herbs and seasonings), followed by rustic Italian bread (olive oil, kosher salt, cracked black pepper - placed on the grill where the chicken had been, rubbed with garlic afterwards, topped with lightly dressed pea shoots and herbs).

Planit

Cyburbian
Last night - a big Fred Flintstone ribeye with garlic salt and cracked black pepper, green beans from Memaw's garden with browned butter and roasted potatoes drizzled with olive oil and a dried herb mix.

I only came to this conclusion when Mrs. P said I was in charge of dinner about 4:00. I went to the grocery store with the sole intent on finding what looked good in the butcher section (& on sale), then figured out the rest.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night - bbq baby back ribs. Smoked to perfection on a Weber kettle grill using indirect heat and cherrywood charcoal. Had a bit of a challenge maintaining a consistent temp throughout, but four hours later both racks were ready and the meat was falling off the bone. Mmm mmm! Applied a rub consisting of: brown sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, and Spanish smoked paprika. At the end applied some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (cut 5:1 with apple cider vinegar just to thin it out a bit). Served with French fries and baked beans. Other important details: the beer consumed while grilling was a few tall boys of Hamm's. Beer served with dinner was Lattitude 42 amber ale.

1565613573680.png

Planit

Cyburbian
Last night it was Nathan's All Beef hot dogs and corn on the cob from Memaw's garden.
Simple. Easy. So. Very. Good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night it was Nathan's All Beef hot dogs and corn on the cob from Memaw's garden.
Simple. Easy. So. Very. Good.
So how was Memaw's corn? We know you included the word "good" in your descriptors, but how would the corn rate on, say, a 1 - 100 scale?

Planit

Cyburbian
Extremely good. Nice and sweet. We rolled in in foil with butter, garlic salt and lemon pepper (was going to try kjel's mix but didn't get to it).

I would rate it an 8.5 out of 10. They were picked Sunday. Still have 8 ears to grill until I have to back and pick more.

Planit

Cyburbian
Grilled chicken legs last night with this sauce.
Image result for carolina treet bbq sauce

Very good results & paired with cheesy broccoli and crinkle cuts fries. YUM!

• Love
Reactions: kms

AG74683

Cyburbian
I know it's winter but I'm looking towards summer. I think it's time to get a proper smoker. I've been wanting a charcoal smoker forever, but decided I just don't have the time to mess with it. I think I've settled on a pellet smoker. I think I will go with THIS one. The brand gets great reviews from what I can tell and is cheaper than Traegar for the same product basically. Plus I can get it from Amazon.

Anyone ever used a pellet smoker? Heard of this brand?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There's currently several inches of snow on the ground here. That didn't stop me from grilling burgers outdoors yesterday. Nor should it stop you. Just grab a shovel, clear out a space on your back patio/deck, get a lawn chair, crack open an Old Style, put on a coat (optional) and plunk down ye olde Weber charcoal grill and enjoy some steak, chicken or burgers.

I know it's winter but I'm looking towards summer. I think it's time to get a proper smoker. I've been wanting a charcoal smoker forever, but decided I just don't have the time to mess with it. I think I've settled on a pellet smoker. I think I will go with THIS one. The brand gets great reviews from what I can tell and is cheaper than Traegar for the same product basically. Plus I can get it from Amazon.

Anyone ever used a pellet smoker? Heard of this brand?
Here's a review:

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I will grill even in the middle of winter (northern hemisphere winter that is).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So I use the smoker a lot these days. The automatic hopper makes the most god awful noise when it is really cold out, but it still works fine. I like going outside in the cold and smell the amazing smell of cooked meats.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Lunch dinner on Christmas day:

Beef sirloin and boneless NY strip steaks and homemade burgers

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My brother grilled Salmon - the next day sandwich was also good.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So I use the smoker a lot these days. The automatic hopper makes the most god awful noise when it is really cold out, but it still works fine. I like going outside in the cold and smell the amazing smell of cooked meats.
What smoker is it?

I've decided to go with the Camp Chef DLX 24. I'm going to pool as many Amazon gift cards as I can from birthday/Christmas and hopefully have it for the Super Bowl. I have no place to put it though. It'll have to live in my screen room for the time being. I'll move it out to the carport when I want to cook.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What smoker is it?

I've decided to go with the Camp Chef DLX 24. I'm going to pool as many Amazon gift cards as I can from birthday/Christmas and hopefully have it for the Super Bowl. I have no place to put it though. It'll have to live in my screen room for the time being. I'll move it out to the carport when I want to cook.
I kinda went OP. I bought a Yoder 640. To say that I love it though is an understatement. It was made in the USA and is built like a tank. Pricey as all get out though...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I kinda went OP. I bought a Yoder 640. To say that I love it though is an understatement. It was made in the USA and is built like a tank. Pricey as all get out though...
Holy crap, that's way out of my price range! The one I'm looking at is around $450 - $500. I wish I could find a model to see in person though.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Holy crap, that's way out of my price range! The one I'm looking at is around $450 - $500. I wish I could find a model to see in person though.
Yea, my buddy has a Traeger and loves it. I also want a Big Green Egg, which is a bit different. I like the pellet grills because they are basically set it and forget it. With some watching of course.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yea, my buddy has a Traeger and loves it. I also want a Big Green Egg, which is a bit different. I like the pellet grills because they are basically set it and forget it. With some watching of course.
For years I wanted to go the charcoal smoker route, probably a Weber Smokey Mountain. I determined I just don't have the time, nor patience, to deal with that anymore. Hence, the pellet smoker. I invested in a Thermopro TP20 earlier this month and I think it'll work well with a smoker.