• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Planit

Cyburbian
The meat came from Lowes Foods. I'll be defrosting lamb chops for tomorrows dinner, also from Lowes. Girlfriend works there and just gets loads of stuff for massive discounts. My freezer is absolutely chock full of stuff now. She went to some sort of butcher shop last week and picked up alligator fillets. Those should be interesting!

When I go that way I usually stop by the Lowes near the Red Tornado high school. Either that or go a little further north to what used to be Harris Teeter & the new Publix.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Grilled a couple of ribeyes last night - seared both sides, then finished them with indirect heat. Came out a perfect medium rare with nicely rendered fat.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My vegan daughter grills carrots and doctors them up with ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions and eats them as a dog. I am 98% vegetarian but she's doing that wrong.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Tonight will be alligator fillets! Should be interesting. I think I'll try them on the smoker.

I cooked my first brisket over the weekend. It was....okay. Wasn't overdone, but it had no real flavor. I followed a recipe that called for a wrap (the Texas Crutch) at around 150 to get it over the stall. I followed that but I felt like it ruined the bark. I also cooked it to 203 on the smoker and then pulled it and let it rest in a cooler till it came back down to around 150. I think I'll pull it much earlier than 203 next time.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tonight will be alligator fillets! Should be interesting. I think I'll try them on the smoker.

I cooked my first brisket over the weekend. It was....okay. Wasn't overdone, but it had no real flavor. I followed a recipe that called for a wrap (the Texas Crutch) at around 150 to get it over the stall. I followed that but I felt like it ruined the bark. I also cooked it to 203 on the smoker and then pulled it and let it rest in a cooler till it came back down to around 150. I think I'll pull it much earlier than 203 next time.
Let us know how the gator turns out. I've only ever had it fried (and I like it) but the grocery store here carries it from time to time and I've always been interested in trying to make it myself, but never actually went through with it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Let us know how the gator turns out. I've only ever had it fried (and I like it) but the grocery store here carries it from time to time and I've always been interested in trying to make it myself, but never actually went through with it.
It was decidedly meh. I think it needs a good long brine to get to where it's worth eating. It was pretty tough.

Over the weekend I did wings and ribs. I got regular wings and cut them up myself. Marinated them in buttermilk for an hour or two, and then rubbed them with Webers BBQ rub. The first batch I cooked for like 45 minutes at 220 and then bumped up to 350 for an hour to crisp up the skin. After the were done I put them in some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ (with my own additions, I wish I knew what I added because it was fantastic). The second batch I did the same but ran them at 2 hours at anywhere between 220 and 275. These I based while on the smoker with the BBQ sauce (along with the ribs). I think I liked the based BBQ better, but I definitely preferred the crisped skin. I think next time I'll combine the two, crisp the skin and then baste afterward.

I have decided that without a doubt I won't be getting any more St. Louis style ribs. Baby Backs are the way to go. The 2-2-1 method is fantastic and I won't go any other way from here on out. 2 hours on the smoker un-wrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil with lots of butter, and then 1 hour un-wrapped while basting with BBQ sauce. Absolutely the BEST ribs I've ever had.

The pellet smoker is fantastic and well worth what I paid for it. I absolutely love it.

Planit

Cyburbian
I grilled a couple ribeye steaks Saturday evening. Nothing overly special, but always very good...just a light dash of spices.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I grilled a couple ribeye steaks Saturday evening. Nothing overly special, but always very good...just a light dash of spices.
Speaking of ribeyes, for Mothers Day I got her a meat grinder. She ground up a ribeye with bacon and sun dried tomatoes into burger patties the other night. Freaking awesome!

AG74683

Cyburbian
What? Why? There are plenty of beef cuts for making burgers.
No clue, it's what she wanted to do. She gets drastically discounted meat from work so it wasn't like a 25 dollar steak or anything.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have been grilling a lot of pork meats lately as meat prices are so outrageous up here - regarding burgers, it's cheaper to have a steak, makes no sense

last night was a huge rack of ribs - Flinstone dinner as we call it

I have the best barbecue sauce from scratch I have ever had that's from a cookbook from the 40's - I will post it tomorrow as it's too good to not share

But I also like Pierre Franey's St Louis barbecue which is just vinegar with a few spices that you brush on while cooking - I can share that too as it's good if you are in a hurry

Reactions: kms

kms

Cyburbian
We have been grilling a lot of pork meats lately as meat prices are so outrageous up here - regarding burgers, it's cheaper to have a steak, makes no sense

I have the best barbecue sauce from scratch I have ever had that's from a cookbook from the 40's - I will post it tomorrow as it's too good to not share

But I also like Pierre Franey's St Louis barbecue which is just vinegar with a few spices that you brush on while cooking - I can share that too as it's good if you are in a hurry
I like the state fair chicken grill sauce. I used to find it at the store, but they discontinued it

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the state fair chicken grill sauce. I used to find it at the store, but they discontinued it
Yes we get that too - or the Spiedle sauce for kabobs from the same manufacturer. I like the lemon garlic one they make too. They do carry it up here in Maine which is hilarious.

My favorite bottled barbecue sauce though is Dinosaur Barbecue.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It was decidedly meh. I think it needs a good long brine to get to where it's worth eating. It was pretty tough.

Over the weekend I did wings and ribs. I got regular wings and cut them up myself. Marinated them in buttermilk for an hour or two, and then rubbed them with Webers BBQ rub. The first batch I cooked for like 45 minutes at 220 and then bumped up to 350 for an hour to crisp up the skin. After the were done I put them in some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ (with my own additions, I wish I knew what I added because it was fantastic). The second batch I did the same but ran them at 2 hours at anywhere between 220 and 275. These I based while on the smoker with the BBQ sauce (along with the ribs). I think I liked the based BBQ better, but I definitely preferred the crisped skin. I think next time I'll combine the two, crisp the skin and then baste afterward.

I have decided that without a doubt I won't be getting any more St. Louis style ribs. Baby Backs are the way to go. The 2-2-1 method is fantastic and I won't go any other way from here on out. 2 hours on the smoker un-wrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil with lots of butter, and then 1 hour un-wrapped while basting with BBQ sauce. Absolutely the BEST ribs I've ever had.

The pellet smoker is fantastic and well worth what I paid for it. I absolutely love it.
My go to method for cooking wings on the grill is to lightly salt and pepper them and grill them indirectly on a hot grill for 30 minutes or so untill they are done. Then I toss them in a bowl with my sauce of choice. The skin is crispy with a good chargrilled taste.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Definitely post up those sauce recipes. None of us in this house are big BBQ sauce fans so if I buy a bottle of it, we only use a little bit and it sits in the fridge for years and we end up throwing a bunch away so I usually try to make our own in tiny batches, and the more vinegary the better (for my tastes).

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay I usually double the recipe:

1/3 cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup bottle chili sauce
3 tablespoons horseradish
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash (or to taste) cayenne

Warm it through - sometimes we thicken it a little with corn starch - make sure there is some for the table to pour on the plate for dipping, as for us, it's pretty much crack on a plate

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Another way to help wings crisp up is to use a little baking power and salt on the wings. Not a coating or anything but just a little salt and about a tablespoon of baking powder. Just mix it in a bowl with the wings. It changes the pH or something in the skins so that it gets crispy. Works great.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Definitely post up those sauce recipes. None of us in this house are big BBQ sauce fans so if I buy a bottle of it, we only use a little bit and it sits in the fridge for years and we end up throwing a bunch away so I usually try to make our own in tiny batches, and the more vinegary the better (for my tastes).
Good barbecue doesn't need sauce. For the stuff that doesn't meet that standard, vinegar-based and mustard-bases sauces are 1a and 1b for me - ketchup and/or tomato-bases sauces are a distant third. And, I refuse to accept northern Alabama white BBQ sauce as a thing - that stuff is an abomination that needs to be eradicated from existence.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
About grills - any advice on what kind I might get? Now that I'm doing a lot more cooking for myself and finally have the porch cleaned off, I think it's time to invest part of that stimulus check in a grill. I live in a condo and have a small patio. I don't think we have restrictions on type of grill.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Good barbecue doesn't need sauce. For the stuff that doesn't meet that standard, vinegar-based and mustard-bases sauces are 1a and 1b for me - ketchup and/or tomato-bases sauces are a distant third. And, I refuse to accept northern Alabama white BBQ sauce as a thing - that stuff is an abomination that needs to be eradicated from existence.
This sums up my thoughts exactly.

AG74683

Cyburbian
About grills - any advice on what kind I might get? Now that I'm doing a lot more cooking for myself and finally have the porch cleaned off, I think it's time to invest part of that stimulus check in a grill. I live in a condo and have a small patio. I don't think we have restrictions on type of grill.
Can't go wrong with Weber products. How big of a grill? My favorite small portable charcoal is the Smokey Joe. I have the regular 14" one. Favorite small gas is the Weber Q 1200. I don't use the Q 1200 much at all though. It's a little heavy and not exactly as "portable" as I'd like. I do really like everything else about it though. I've recently moved back to using the Smokey Joe more. Just bought new grates for it.

If you have enough room, I'd bump up to the Weber Performer series. The deluxe is pretty pricey, but it includes a gas assisted charcoal lighter which is totally worth it. I love my Performer. Mine is an older model with a heavy duty plastic table. I like the newer metal tables better. For a larger gas one, the Weber Spirit series is really good. That's what I would have if I had more room for a larger gas grill. I'd spring for at least a 3 burner model, more options to do indirect cooking that way.

OH and I forgot to add, if you're in the market for a smoker, the one I got is fantastic so far! I got the Camp Chef DLX 24. It's a pellet smoker, which some look down on, but I really like the ease of use. The flavor is just as good and it's so much easier to use. Set it and forget it.

I think we're going to a super cool butcher shop this weekend called The Stock Market in Concord. Supposed to be really awesome.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I make this sauce for pulled pork....
  • 2/3 cup white vinegar
  • 2/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • A 1/2 cup ketchup

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.

Planit

Cyburbian
I got a call from The Girl yesterday afternoon asking me if we could have hamburgers for dinner. I said she'd need to go to the grocery store to buy ground beef & buns.

I made the patties and grilled them up. So delicious, so good. I'm glad there are leftovers!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Cooked deer burgers on Sunday night. They were fantastic. We added bacon to them so I cooked them for a bit longer than I normally do, but they were still good to me. Last night, girlfriend cooked Korean style short ribs while I was gone to a meeting. They also turned out great.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday I grilled up some fresh shrimp that I had bought Friday. I don't think it matters how you season or marinade them - if you grill some shrimp, they will be delicious. I could seriously eat grilled shrimp for every meal and never get tired of it. When my wife and kids are away at the beach and I'm home alone for a couple of nights, I usually buy a few pounds and make them for myself for lunch and dinner for a few days in a row so I can be greedy and not share them. I don't know if I'll get any any of those days home by myself this summer though...

Cooked deer burgers on Sunday night. They were fantastic. We added bacon to them so I cooked them for a bit longer than I normally do, but they were still good to me. Last night, girlfriend cooked Korean style short ribs while I was gone to a meeting. They also turned out great.
Were they just straight up venison or was there some beef mixed in there? I love venison but never care for it on its own in burgers. I think it's just a bit too lean. We usually get a few pounds of ground venison from my brother every fall but he always has the place he takes his deer to be processed mix it so it's 90/10 with some beef or lamb added in. We tried bison added in, but that's just as lean as the venison and didn't really do much for us as burgers (it was good in chili and sloppy joes though).

AG74683

Cyburbian
Were they just straight up venison or was there some beef mixed in there? I love venison but never care for it on its own in burgers. I think it's just a bit too lean. We usually get a few pounds of ground venison from my brother every fall but he always has the place he takes his deer to be processed mix it so it's 90/10 with some beef or lamb added in. We tried bison added in, but that's just as lean as the venison and didn't really do much for us as burgers (it was good in chili and sloppy joes though).
As far as I know it was just straight up venison initially. We mixed some bacon in there to give them a little more fat. They were in the freezer just marked as "deer burgers" so I don't really know what all is in it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I grilled up a nice big flank steak last night. As far as cuts of beef for the grill go, flank steak is probably our go-to choice. It' works with just about any type of rub or marinade and as long as you don't overcook it, it's pretty hard to mess it up. Plus, the leftovers go great with eggs and onions for breakfast the next morning.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
From yesterday - simple salt rubbed boneless chicken breast on my gas grill.

It really makes good grilled chicken for straight up or mixed with other foods.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Last night was super interesting stuff. We went to two large Asian markets in Charlotte over the weekend and stocked up. We grilled chicken livers, octopus, large head on shrimp, and these big pinwheel steak things she had picked up a few weeks ago.

If you're a fan of fried chicken livers, you HAVE to try grilling them. They were so much better than fried. The flavor is phenomenal. The octopus was really good too, better than just braised or boiled. Grilling it gives a little char and makes the tips of the tentacles nice and crunchy.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I grilled up a nice big flank steak last night. As far as cuts of beef for the grill go, flank steak is probably our go-to choice. It' works with just about any type of rub or marinade and as long as you don't overcook it, it's pretty hard to mess it up. Plus, the leftovers go great with eggs and onions for breakfast the next morning.
Flank steak has a great flavor. The key is to not overcook and cut it across the grain. When beef was hard to come by a while back, I could always come across flank steak. I also like skirt steak. I use it for fajitas and stir frying.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The last thing on the grill was pork tenderloin cut into little medallions. I applied a store bought pork and poultry seasoning rub. They turned out well, but my only criticism is that you sure don't get much meat in a tenderloin. Three people left the dinner table hungry that night.

From Country Living, U.K.:
7 ways to make sure your BBQ is more eco-friendly
("Nothing says summer like a proper British BBQ.")

Each of the numbered headers in this article has a description and/or tips.
1. LESS, BETTER QUALITY MEAT
2. KEEP THE LID ON YOUR GRILL
3. SHOP LOCALLY
4. ONLY COOK WHAT YOU WILL EAT
5. CHOOSE A SUSTAINABLE FIRE
6. SAY GOODBYE TO SINGLE-USE ITEMS
7. CHOOSE 'GREEN' DRINKS