• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Bello Family Vineyards, Cab Sauv, 2007.

Amazingly good. Worth every penny. Now for the wine-o talk: Earthy, dark currents, hints of tobacco with a very smooth finish. A strong Napa Cab in my opinion.

Ryoohki1779

Bello Family Vineyards, Cab Sauv, 2007.

Amazingly good. Worth every penny. Now for the wine-o talk: Earthy, dark currents, hints of tobacco with a very smooth finish. A strong Napa Cab in my opinion.
This sounds really good. I could use a drink or a bottle right now. Today is the end to a very long week!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
On a wine-drinking friend's recommendation, I recently tried a Lawton Ridge Winery 2012 AZO Red - . It's a blend of several different varieties (I forget which). Normally you think of Rieslings or fruit wines when it comes to Michigan wines, but they actually pulled off this semi-dry red quite credibly.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Robert Mondavi. 2007, Oakville, Napa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon. Great wine. Worth a search.

Richmond Jake

Columbia Crest, H3, Horse Heaven Hills, 2012, cabernet sauvignon--a Washington State wine. IMHO, it's worth a search.

Richmond Jake

Richmond Jake

Save me San Francisco Wine Co. Calling All Angels. 2012 chardonnay. Don't even think about purchasing this wine. It's horrible.

Richmond Jake

Josh Cellars, 2013, Cabernet Sauvignon. Nothing great, but the price is right for an every day wine.

Otis

Cyburbian
Carlton Cellars "Roads End" 2007 Pinot Noir. I usually don't much care for pinot noir (too wimpy) but this was nice. I would buy it again.

Richmond Jake

Kenwood Vineyards, Jack London Vineyard, Sonoma Mountain, 2011, cabernet sauvignon. Great wine. Super fruity aroma. Classic flavors. Highly recommended. I received a half a case today from WineShopper.com. It should still be available at a good price.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My favorite white right now is the Alma Rosa (Santa Rita Hills, Santa Barbara County) Chardonnay, 2012 and 2013. I bought it from a local wine shop first, but I’ve since purchased it from Costco and Vons, for under $15. I like the 2012 one more but both are tasty.

The 2012 El Jabalí Chardonnay has a brilliant straw color and a pleasant, flowery aroma with hints of vanilla. Its flavors are complete and mouth filling. This Chardonnay from our vineyard on our home ranch has an excellent soft tannin structure with bright acid finish.

The 2013 Santa Barbara County Chardonnay is made with fruit sourced mainly from White Hills Vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley. It is a special single block of 35-year-old vines on their own roots. The nose is of fragrant honeysuckle and lemon. The wine has a tart, refreshing brightness.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I admit to being more of a beer drinker than a wine drinker. But I look at the comments here before buying wine for the hubby. He likes reds, so I do my homework by looking for RJ comments, then head to the wine shop.

Keep 'em coming! Hubby's liked what I've bought so far!

Richmond Jake

I admit to being more of a beer drinker than a wine drinker. But I look at the comments here before buying wine for the hubby. He likes reds, so I do my homework by looking for RJ comments, then head to the wine shop.

Keep 'em coming! Hubby's liked what I've bought so far!
I do my best for the good of the order.

Richmond Jake

Paradigm, 1996, Napa Valley, Oakville, cabernet sauvignon. When I first tasted this wine years ago, I thought it was magical. I kept it too long. It's on its last legs. :(

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Peter Lehman - Layers White - 2014. For such a reasonably priced blend this is quite good. Great summer wine.

The One

Cyburbian
Ahh.....

I don't like it when I bring something home from the grocery store and find out it was already opened.
I also don't like road construction being done outside the posted times that disrupts my morning commute.

Richmond Jake

Trione, 2006, Alexander Valley, Geyserville Ranch, a red wine blend. Drink it now and don't look for it. I've been drinking losers lately. :not:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Pride Mountain, Merlot 2012. Smooth and rich. Very good.

Richmond Jake

Dry Creek Vineyards, 2013, Alexander Valley, chardonnay. Good one. Stainless steel processed. Not much oak. Worth a search.

Richmond Jake

[strikeout] Dry Creek Vineyards [/strikeout] 2013, Alexander Valley, chardonnay. Good one. Stainless steel processed. Not much oak. Worth a search.
Correction. It's Navarro Vineyards. Sorry. I ordered a half-case yesterday.

Richmond Jake

[strikeout]Dry Creek Vineyards [/strikeout], 2013, [strikeout] Alexander Valley [/strikeout], chardonnay. Good one. Stainless steel processed. Not much oak. Worth a search.
Navarro Vineyards, Anderson Valley. I really messed up.

Richmond Jake

St. Amant, 2011, Mohr Fry Ranch, Old Vine Zinfandel, Lodi Appellation.

Leave this one on the shelf of your retailer. Nothing here.

Lodi. What was I thinking?

Richmond Jake

Mount Veeder Winery, 2009, Napa Valley, cabernet sauvignon with grilled steaks last night. Very soft wine but with good flavor. Unless you can find it cheap, I wouldn't make an extra effort to track this one down.

Richmond Jake

A magnum of Lewis Cellars, 1996, reserve cabernet sauvignon, Napa Valley. A great wine at its peak. Soft, mellow.

Richmond Jake

Yesterday's turkey was complimented by a bottle of 2009, Gunsight Rock, pinot noir, from Anderson Valley (California), and a non-descript white. The Gunsight Rock was damn good.

Richmond Jake

Navarro Vineyards, Anderson Valley (California), sparking wine, brut. Too sweet. Avoid this one. I guess that's why they sent this to me gratis.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Although my Hendry Pinot Noir 2011 was wonderful with Thanksgiving Dinner #1, I felt that Tukma Malbec Reserva 2011 was outstanding with Thanksgiving Dinner #2. Must buy if you see it. I got it for under $10. A steal.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
On thanksgiving I came to the conclusion that my wife and I do not have any wines that we both like. Looks like we will just need to make sure that we stock up on both.

Richmond Jake

I'm within shouting distant of a Trader Joe's. I'm gonna run by and get a case of 2-Buck Chuck. :wine: :D

Richmond Jake

1991, Kenwood, Artist Series, cabernet sauvignon, Sonoma Valley. Past its prime. I held it too long. :(

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Wine Library TV is back. Gary Vee is abrasive, but honestly he is really good at talking wine. I like his style.

http://tv.winelibrary.com/

Check it out and learn about wine. Lots of good here.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
The best wine I drink:

Black Box white wine, I just dismantle the box and drink straight from the space bag.

As a Teenager, I drank Boones Farm and Wild Irish Rose, but you can hardly consider that wine.

I want to try THUNDERBIRD really badly and see if it is actually as bad as they say and if it is true that it can make you hallucinate.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
When I was in NY for the holidays, I picked up a couple of bottles of 50 Shades of Red, a wine made in Upstate NY that I really like! I've always been a white wine drinker but this wine has converted me. My sister, a red wine snob, is also a fan!

"50 Shades of Red is a romantic exotic wine that will leave your taste buds begging for more. This blend of reds will certainly deepen your relationship with flavor as you tingle, blush, and shiver with satisfaction. No faking necessary."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Birthday wine -

1995 Ridge Monte Bello.

Sweet cherries and cedar flavors. Long finish. Absolutely amazing.

I have a standing allocation of Ridge Wines, but I bought a couple of back vintages a couple years ago. This one was a steal for how good it was. With that said it was the most expensive bottle of wine I have ever drank. Well worth it.

Check Ridge out if you haven't heard of them.

Richmond Jake

I'm leaning toward uncorking a young cabernet tonight to serve with the grilled rack of lamb (or lamp). I'll let you know how that turns out.

Richmond Jake

Whitehall Lane Winery & Vineyards, 2010, Napa Valley, cabernet sauvignon. Disappointingly average wine.

Richmond Jake

I don't think having a glass of red wine at 11:33 on Sunday morning is such a big deal. I call it communion.

donk

Cyburbian
Heading to Austin in the next few weeks. See that there is a Texas wine country nearby. Is it worth a day trip and which wineries should be visited or avoided?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So my go to daily drinker lately is Chateau Sauverain. It is a reasonable bottle for $9.99.

I also bought my first bottle of Dom to celebrate a huge accomplishment for my wife. It came in a really cool and fancy box.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bought a bottle of Garzon Tannat from Uruguay a few days ago. I've had tannat before; it's a big, in-your-face red wine. I'm surprised it's not more popular in the United States.

Our daily drinker is something we call "Crazy Face" -- Honoro Vera Garnacha from Spain.

DoSGBczlTwO3NsegsAxe3g_pl_375x500.png

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Alright, alright, I want to know what your best/most expensive/favorite/etc. bottle of wine ever was. Do you remember it? Was it because it was on a date? Was it for a special occasion?

My cellar is becoming more and more of a collection, which is leading to me looking to find reasonably priced gems, although I would love to hear about unreasonably priced gems too!

I quit being a member of Ridge this year. Which was difficult, but the price per bottle was just getting too high for me to justify when there are so many other great wines out there.

I am currently a member of 7 wine clubs (yea, yea, I know). But I like getting consistent shipments of wine I like. So what wine do you like? RJ, you got any good one's for me?

Richmond Jake

I am currently a member of 7 wine clubs (yea, yea, I know). But I like getting consistent shipments of wine I like. So what wine do you like? RJ, you got any good one's for me?
I was a member of Navarro Vineyards and Dry Creek Vineyards. When I retired, I gave up my subscriptons. I recommend them. Alternatively, head over to Trader Joe's and get a couple cases of Two Buck Chuck.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I was a member of Navarro Vineyards and Dry Creek Vineyards. When I retired, I gave up my subscriptons. I recommend them. Alternatively, head over to Trader Joe's and get a couple cases of Two Buck Chuck.
I have heard of Navarro, but not Dry Creek. I will look into them, thank you!

My palette likes all kinds of wine, but I would rather drink Bud Light than two buck chuck... :shrug:

dw914er

Cyburbian
Alright, alright, I want to know what your best/most expensive/favorite/etc. bottle of wine ever was. Do you remember it? Was it because it was on a date? Was it for a special occasion?

My cellar is becoming more and more of a collection, which is leading to me looking to find reasonably priced gems, although I would love to hear about unreasonably priced gems too!

I quit being a member of Ridge this year. Which was difficult, but the price per bottle was just getting too high for me to justify when there are so many other great wines out there.

Ridge consistently makes good wine; I do not think I have had a bottle that was not great. My family has actually been members to Ridge for three generations, with my wife and I currently part of their ATP club. My parents had created a tradition of saving a Monte Bello for when my siblings and I were born, and opening it up on our 21st. That 21-year old wine was certainly a very memorable bottle (we actually had another Monte Bello to make it a vertical tasting experience), and my wife and I are planning to get a 2019 Monte Bello to carry the tradition for our daughter (and will repeat with any future kids).

We are members of 4 clubs - Ridge, Clos Du Val, Rombauer, and a Temecula winery. As with a lot of Temecula wineries, the wine is so-so, but the restaurant at the winery, ambiance, and proximity makes it a nice lunch-date option for the weekend. We try and buy other fun wines throughout the year, and also to stock up on a case or two of different good weekday (affordable) drinking wines, but the four memberships seems to be enough. It also helps having friends that have a good wine collection to share.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Ridge consistently makes good wine; I do not think I have had a bottle that was not great. My family has actually been members to Ridge for three generations, with my wife and I currently part of their ATP club. My parents had created a tradition of saving a Monte Bello for when my siblings and I were born, and opening it up on our 21st. That 21-year old wine was certainly a very memorable bottle (we actually had another Monte Bello to make it a vertical tasting experience), and my wife and I are planning to get a 2019 Monte Bello to carry the tradition for our daughter (and will repeat with any future kids).

We are members of 4 clubs - Ridge, Clos Du Val, Rombauer, and a Temecula winery. As with a lot of Temecula wineries, the wine is so-so, but the restaurant at the winery, ambiance, and proximity makes it a nice lunch-date option for the weekend. We try and buy other fun wines throughout the year, and also to stock up on a case or two of different good weekday (affordable) drinking wines, but the four memberships seems to be enough. It also helps having friends that have a good wine collection to share.
Yea I had been a Monte Bello collector member for 15 years, getting 6 bottles annually. It went from $70/bottle to $130/bottle. I love Monte Bello, it ages well, and is just a great wine, but it is too expensive anymore for me, when I can get multiple bottles for that price and feel great about them.

I have 5 bottles left of the 2013 Monte Bello though, which I would argue could be the best wine I have ever tasted, and it has years to get better.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Yea I had been a Monte Bello collector member for 15 years, getting 6 bottles annually. It went from $70/bottle to $130/bottle. I love Monte Bello, it ages well, and is just a great wine, but it is too expensive anymore for me, when I can get multiple bottles for that price and feel great about them.

I have 5 bottles left of the 2013 Monte Bello though, which I would argue could be the best wine I have ever tasted, and it has years to get better.
The $150-ish range seems to be where some of those northern California flagship wines seem to hover at. I have a few different years of the Three Graces from Clos Du Val that we are saving that is in that range, but multi-bottle shipments of those higher range wines really do add up. I personally like getting more bottles of great-quality wine at a better value, so I do not anticipate committing to a membership of those ranges. I have been very happy with the ATP membership though, and you can still get Monte Bello at reduced rates without the same bottle commitment.