• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The New Beverly Hillbillies

I'm surprised that no one has posted their comments/opinions about the new Beverly Hillbillies show that CBS or whoever is proposing for the fall lineup. I'm not a fan of network television and I'm certainly not a fan of reality television, so certainly I think that these producers may be taking this a bit too far - take a hick family out of the sticks and put them in a mansion and tape how their lives turn out when they "stop being polite and start being real." The producers are mainly scouting the Appalachia areas for potential cast members (i.e. victims). While I'm not from a small town or rural area nor aspire to live in one, I can't help but think that this is exploitive and maybe offensive as it perpetuates the stereotypes that many people have of those who live in such areas. What will happen to these people once the show is over? Go back to the trailer park? Things that make you go "hmmm..." :\

Planderella, I'm with you. It has the potential to be an even bigger travesty than the Anna Nicole show. I'm just wondering what TV executive thought this was a good idea.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Unfortunately it will probably be a hit.

If people like watching people eat bugs and marry millionaires I image there are those taht will want to watch the rural poor hit the big city.

What idiot came up with this idea anyway?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Today, you do not have to go to Appalachia or the Ozarks to find the family. Rather, you can just go across town to the latest McMansion and find a 21st Century version of the Beverly Hillbillies. Whatever happened to "restrained elegance"? We are in the Beverly Hillbillies generation.

Bucky alum

I think it will be a dud. I mean how hard is to up in life. Woo Hoo. I'd much rather watch a show of a rich family that had everything done for them work on a farm milking cows and doing chores everyday for 6 months. i think that could be real funny and it would teach some of the "city" folk a thing or two about looking down on rural america.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Bucky alum said:
I think it will be a dud. I mean how hard is to up in life. Woo Hoo. I'd much rather watch a show of a rich family that had everything done for them work on a farm milking cows and doing chores everyday for 6 months. i think that could be real funny and it would teach some of the "city" folk a thing or two about looking down on rural america.
There is always PBS's "Frontier House." It was a rip off of the UK's "1900 House," done in a much more American (read: low-brow) style. C'mon PBS, you aren't Fox!

Anyway, three families move to frontier Montana and have to live as in the 1880's. The Tennessee folk did mediocre. The rich Californians made asses of themselves. A newlywed couple give me reason to hope that there are a handful of competent, decent people out there.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
The Tennessee folk did mediocre. The rich Californians made asses of themselves. A newlywed couple give me reason to hope that there are a handful of competent, decent people out there.
We just had that over here, too! And I agree. In fact, I would be very tempted to say that the rich people should probably have been shot and put out of their misery...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:

There is always PBS's "Frontier House." It was a rip off of the UK's "1900 House," done in a much more American (read: low-brow) style. C'mon PBS, you aren't Fox!

Anyway, three families move to frontier Montana and have to live as in the 1880's. The Tennessee folk did mediocre. The rich Californians made asses of themselves. A newlywed couple give me reason to hope that there are a handful of competent, decent people out there.
I heard one of the couples ended up divorcing because of the experience.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
What will happen to these people once the show is over? Go back to the trailer park?
When I first read about the concept, the only thing I thought of was that the family that will be chosen for the experiment will become a joke, similar to the people who appear on the Jerry Springer show. The show's success is at the expense of the dignity of the po' mountain folk chosen to live the high life.

I'll admit to a "Beverly Hillbillies" experience of a different sort. In 1992, my parents moved from a declining, lower-middle class neighborhood in Buffalo to an upper middle class neighborhood in an upscale suburb. Some of the amenities that were completely new to them, which they didn't quite know how to use, included a dishwasher, ceiling fans, remote control garage door opener, electronic thermostat, and three way light switches. The folks love eating out, but they usually go to a Greek diner, or travel to Cheektowaga to eat at that town's blue-collar bar/restaurants. They like the types of places where the menus haven't changed since 1954; Amherst's ethnic and upscale restaurants aren't their style.

When they visit me in a few weeks, they'll be in for a shock. Most of the light switches in my house are Lutron dimmers. The stove has a ceramic top. I have a loaded digital cable package (it's real cheap, when you get RoadRunner with it), and HBO on Demand. Should be interesting.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I have an idea

Fill a facility full of pompus asses and bring in thousands of young stoners and other assorted riffraff and force them to go through four to seven years of orgies, barhopping, keggers and cramming for exams. And then....

Nevermind.

That is why I didn't make it in Hollywood. Its all been done...

Re: I have an idea

El Guapo said:
Fill a facility full of pompus asses and bring in thousands of young stoners and other assorted riffraff and force them to go through four to seven years of orgies, barhopping, keggers and cramming for exams. And then....

Nevermind.

That is why I didn't make it in Hollywood. Its all been done...
DONE! This season, It's called "Sorority Girls" on MTV. I don't watch, but my friend Liza is addicted and swears it is a mirror image of our undergrad days. eek.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: I have an idea

Journeymouse said:

<singing>Who ho hoooooooo!
It's all been done ... before!</singing>
:D Sorry. Listening to the BNL
Bare Naked Ladies. Perhaps the best new band to come out in the last several years. Too bad their Canadian, eh?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I remember seeing Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys...but that was a few years ago...then Buck got murdered walking his dog in Golden Gate Park...I miss those guys.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
KMateja said:
It has the potential to be an even bigger travesty than the Anna Nicole show.
I was watching the Anna Nicole show yesterday night. Again, it's entertainment of the masses at expense of her dignity. Well, what little she has, anyhow.

Go onto Usenet, visit blocs, or check out some of thye other bulletin boards out there, and you'll find an interesting phenomenon. The BBW crowd is praising the show, while others find themselves embarassed by it.