• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 the new kid

jresta

Cyburbian
Hi all - i'm one week new to the board and thought it proper to introduce myself.

I work as a transportation planner for the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission which is the MPO here in Philly. Our area consists of the 5 counties on the PA side of the river and the 4 counties on the NJ side.

I live in South Philly now, our offices are in Center City, but i'm Jersey all the way. I went to Rutgers-Camden, and was born and raised at the Shore (5 miles north of Asbury Park). I've lived all over the East Coast from Georgia to New York. I spent most of my time in the south while in the army - noticing the differences between the sprawl of the southeast and the railroad suburb i grew up in is what turned me onto planning.

For now i like my job but in a year or so i'm looking at grad school either in canada or australia.

If you haven't yet, you'll notice that i'm staunchly pro bike/ped/transit and i'll take the access line of reasoning over mobility any day.

I'm interested to hear the midwest/west perspective that seems to proliferate on this board!

cheers!

- - - jim

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I leave town for a week and look at all the new people who show up. The laptop was delivered when I was away. I'll never have to leave Cyburbia behind!

Welcome!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer ;)

Welcome.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Welcome! At least now we might have some competition for Tranplanner's transpo planning opinions! :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome. It's good to have another PA planner in the mix - Even if you are in Philly. ;)

jresta

Cyburbian
Tranplanner Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer

Welcome.

haha - no i'm not an engineer. I understand the frustration, though. I'm the only planner in a 5 person unit. The other 4 clowns are strictly numbers.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm kinda late doing this, but welcome!

I read your bio, and I know we've already debated some things. I'm glad you're here to provide some east coast/big city perspective!

green lizard

Tranplanner said:
Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer ;)

Welcome.
As long as your not a what? Welcome from another
transportation planner. (more mobile than access)