• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The new Segway thread

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I see them here all the time. The Ambassidor Force has them... it's funny to see a whole gang of them zipping down the side walk in their pilth helmets.

A business has also recently started offering Segway tours of downtown. You get 45 minutes of training on the Segway and then off you go to see downtown. It seems like it would be a good inbetween for exploring an urban area since walking limits how much you could see while driving keeps you from really being able to see anything in detail.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Editorial from The St. Louis Post-Dispatch; Sunday May 29, 2005, Pg. B2
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...7FC5FC3B0838868F862570130032470E?OpenDocument

THE JOGGERS, bikers and power-walkers who huff and puff over the trails in Forest Park soon will have a new companion. The St. Louis Science Center is offering park tours aboard Segways.

The Segway is a wondrous machine. It looks like a pogo-stick attached to two rubber wheels and an electric motor. It operates via gyroscopes and tilt sensors that mimic human balance. Step aboard, lean forward and off you go at the pace of a healthy jog.

In fact, the Segway is essentially a jogging machine. Forest Park runners, puffing and straining over the hills, will soon find themselves being lapped by smug Segway riders who aren't even sweating. Couch potatoes will be able enjoy the park's pretty jogging trails without burning an ounce of fat.

One might wonder why America needs a new invention to help us avoid exercise. If the inventors of the Segway really wanted to serve humanity they would invent a machine that rumbles around the kitchen eating up the Twinkies and chocolate pie before we weak-willed humans can get to them.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
richiefullerton said:
Not sure if this has been asked before, but do Segways make much noise?

Only if you get the specially-equipped Harley-Davidson model.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In Halls of Albany, a Decidedly Unsqueaky Pair of Wheels Get the Grease

Headline and Article from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/18/nyregion/18segway.html?hp&oref=login

...the question of how to classify Segways, the odd-looking, scooterlike contraptions balanced by gyroscopes, and whether people should be allowed to scoot around on them on sidewalks across New York State.

A bill that would define the Segway Human Transporter as an "electric personal assistive mobility device," rather than a motorized vehicle, is advancing swiftly through the State Legislature, a place that has historically loved to dabble in even the most arcane local matters.

The Segway is a two-wheeled device that its inventor, Dean Kamen, predicted would help revolutionize personal transportation. Segways use sensors, solid-state gyroscopes and microprocessors to navigate streets. Financed during the dot-com era and first made available to consumers in 2002, they have yet to draw a huge following. They did attract the passing interest of the New York Police Department, and they regularly draw curious stares on city streets.

The measure in Albany would permit disabled people to use Segways on sidewalks all over the state. It would give local governments outside New York City a choice to ban or restrict their use by others on its streets, bicycle lanes and other pathways, but would give the city the choice of whether to permit the use of Segways along those corridors. In a legislative session distinguished by promises not kept, the bill appears greased for easy passage. The proposal is awaiting a vote on the Senate floor and has advanced to the Assembly's Codes Committee, and has moved further than some bills meant to tackle such core state issues as health care financing, environmental protection and ethics reform.

Opponents, including New York City officials, are trying to kill it.

In a twist, environmentalists are vigorously opposed to the bill. While the Segway may appear eco-friendly at first blush - it is futuristic in aesthetic detail and a self-balancing people mover powered by batteries - clean air proponents say the bill, if signed into law, would do harm by making life harder for pedestrians.

Walkers may be forced into cars, said Peter M. Iwanowicz, of the American Lung Association. Or, those who trade walking for Segways would contribute to pollution, he said, since they would have to plug the batteries the Segway used into the wider electric grid to charge them.

It is a contention that officials at the company, Segway L.L.C., dispute. "This is truly an environmentally friendly device," said Matt Dailida, director of regulatory and government affairs at Segway. He said Segways could ease congestion.

In the end, Russ Haven, the legislative counsel for the New York Public Interest Research Group, said: "It's not like there's any real clamor from the public on this. This is a lobbyist-driven bill and it's getting play at the end of session when there's a limited amount of airtime for really pressing issues; it's really hard to justify why it's necessary to spend this much energy on this ill-conceived bill."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Headline and Article from the Louisville Courier-Journal --

Segway & the city
New tour company offers a 'magic carpet ride' downtown
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050830/FEATURES/508300319/1010

Highlights:
"Riding a Segway is an almost inexplicable sensation....
The Segway will change inner-city travel...
The feeling is glee-inducing. Passers-by marvel; cars stop. We are out of place and odd, carefree and cruising. Soon, we make our way to a downtown I've seen a hundred times but never really felt before."

Budgie

Cyburbian
I've had my Segway for 2 years, 4 months and 20 days. I have not put a dime into maintenance and the batteries are still holding out, although I have recently noticed a decrease in range. No regrets about the purchase. I'm holding out for the Lithium batteries, which will increase the range from 12 miles to 40 miles on a single charge. Right now the Lithium batteries are on the new machines, but they have not been made available as replacements for the original batteries, although they will fit the original machines. They better be out by the spring or I may have to buy another set of Nickle batteries.

I rode one of the X machines and could ride over curbs and it was a smooth ride.

dariusroberts

not viral -- now what?

I'm not sure if it was poorly designed message, or a lack of need for the intended product, but the Segway certainly seems to have fallen flat. (even after the recall :)

I mean, creating a bottom-up product with private investment support would certainly have been an ideal way to change transportation and sustainability as we know it. The discussion is driven by marketing types, wondering about marketsize and strategy, based on stated consumer preferences, but ignorant of the sophisticated decision making process. Most of the strategy is focused on exploiting segway strengths in high-value niches innovator, including leisure and image-fueled niches.

I personally think that the problem with the segway-brand is that it's a sold as a car-replacement. I can imagine many trips for which a segway would be the rational choice in a non-car mobility system--but very few for which a car trip is replaced.

Instead, we should package all that sexy buzz surrounding the segway into a BIGGER product release: NEW MOBILITY!!!! I know the exclamaition points are hokey, but i really think it has to be the full picture.

One ongoing research project that incorporates the segway (and bikes and walking) is the easyconnect project (http://www.easyconnect.com/). The premise is that the availability of low-speed modes can enable transit-commuting behavior for some commuters who do not work immediately next to a BART stop--the "last mile" problem.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Anybody see the 1/3 of page ad on Page 3 in the USA Today print edition; Thursday Oct20, 2005 ?

Offering:
Get a free Garmin GPS package (a $400 value) when you buy a Segway HT from a participating dealer. Offer ends January 6, 2006.

Talk about high profile placement.

acchhhoooo

Cyburbian
Can't believe this segway thread is still alive and potentially useful threads concerning true alternative transportation solutions such as bikes are cancelled. Anybody heard of the concept of the have and have nots? How much a Segway costing now? This thing is a gimmick not an alternative or a solution. There may be a few who benefit from it due to a handicap but the rest of you are just materialistic and very lazy. The thought that any city would plan for such a small percentage of transportation issues concerning only those rich enough to afford one is a travesty. Almost as bad as a City requiring largers roads, driveway widths and parking stalls to accommdate SUV's. Whew, better to get that out of my system. HAHA

SGB

Cyburbian
a gift, w/ instructions

Even after his snafu in trying to ride a Segway, President G.W. Bush is apparently sending them to friends as gifts. I'm guessing the gift comes with advice to "Turn on before riding." :-D

Photo link:
Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi enjoys a ride on a Segway, a gift from US President George Bush, in Tokyo.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
[url="http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060604/BUSINESS/606040391/1003']Segway: From public use to public offering?[/url]
Motorized scooter has gained new popularity as it identifies and pursues niche markets

Headline and article from the Indy Star.

Highlights:
And Segway President and Chief Executive James Norrod, hoping to parlay the growth into a payday for the original investors, has made grooming the company for an initial public offering in the next few years a top priority.

Gauging Segway's prospects in an IPO is difficult, since the company will not reveal its yearly revenue or whether it is profitable. Norrod will only say that "tens of thousands" of Segways have been sold, and that the company's revenue has been growing by at least 50 percent over each of the last few years.

After its launch, the Segway found itself on a bumpy road, including a product recall and the departure of three CEOs since 2002. And the device still is expensive, retailing for $4,000 to $5,700, depending on the model and accessories package.

The company's critics believe Segway's continued silence regarding its finances is an indication it is still not profitable, especially given the reported $100 million spent developing it.

The funds from an IPO could help Segway expand its operations and acquire complementary technologies to help it grow.

So, Budgie, if they came out with an IPO would you buy some shares ?

Budgie

Cyburbian
JNA said:
So, Budgie, if they came out with an IPO would you buy some shares ?

Well, I probably would if I had the do$h. To be honest, purchasing a Segway was the smartest purchase I have ever made, but I don't trust others to be as smart. My self image is not wrapped up in the vehicle I drive and I don't mind sticking out. This makes me a minority. I've had my machine for over 3 years now and every single mile I travel at less than 1 cent a mile makes the original $5K price tag all that more reasonable. I have no idea how many miles I've gone on it, but I bet it's been over 5K. OK, so $1 a miles sounds expensive, but if you don't have gas, insurance, maintenance and repairs.... I'm probably way ahead. Yes, I still own a car, but it sits at home more than most people's car does.

Rem

Cyburbian
I saw the first commercial application of Segways in Australia recently. They are being used to conduct tours of the Sydney Olympic Park area. I guess it adds some novelty to the experience and assists with the long walking distances between the points of interest.

I saw one in the street in Sydney CBD about two weeks ago too. The first one I had ever seen in general use.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I saw one in the street in Sydney CBD about two weeks ago too. The first one I had ever seen in general use.

The City of Chicago has a contract to purchase 100 additional Segways over the next 5 years. So many in the Chicago area (which incidentially has 2 tour businesses) will have a similar experience to REM's sighting. I imagine that a lot of Chitownians have already seen them in the wild.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Segway rolls into rural terrain [/SIZE]

Headline and Article from USA TODAY.

Highlights:
Maybe you've seen squadrons of Segways, those upright scooters, commandeering city sidewalks as urban tours grow in popularity from Anchorage to Washington. Now, thanks to minor design modifications, the Segway has gone off-road — or sidewalk — and tour operators are venturing into rougher terrain. Proponents say they're ideal — if trickier to operate — in rural settings because they're easy on trails and non-polluting. A sampling of off-road tours:

What: Ecomotion Tours, Fort George Island off northeast coast of Florida

Where: Ecological and historical tours of mostly undeveloped 1,000-acre island, including 1798 Kingsley Plantation.

Cost: $69 for 2 hours

Information: 904-251-9477; http://ecomotiontours.com./

Possible tour tied in with a Florida Laefest ?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Segways are airports' latest arrivals

Headline and article from USA TODAY

Some airports that have bought Segways

•Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson
•Baltimore/Washington International
•Burbank, Calif.
•Chicago O'Hare
•Chicago Midway
•Dallas/Fort Worth
•Detroit has 3
•Harrisburg, Pa.
•Orange County, Calif.
•Orlando has 4
•Phoenix has 8
•Harlingen, Texas
•Oklahoma City

Sources: Segway, USA TODAY research
Has anybody seen them in any of these airports ?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Segway unveils new models with retooled steering
Sleeker design has more features
Louisville Courier-Journal Print Headline

AP Wire Article link:
http://www.newsday.com/technology/w...833280.story?coll=sns-ap-technology-headlines

Highlights:
.... described the new steering system as "very similar to skiing" (Take note Zman & M'ski)

It also has a sleeker, more futuristic design than its predecessor, and a starting retail price of $4,995.
A more rugged version meant for off-road use has a starting price of $5,495.

Is that really affordable ?

Budgie

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Is that really affordable ?

3 years, one battery change, no other costs.... No telling how many miles I've put on mine, but I use it almost everyday.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the AP Wire: Segway Recalls Scooters for Injury Risk

Highlights:
....recalling all 23,500 of the self-balancing scooters it has shipped because of a software glitch that can make its wheels unexpectedly reverse direction, throwing off the rider ...

Segway is offering its customers, which include more than 150 police departments around the world, a free software upgrade that will fix the problem. The upgrades will be done at Segway's 100 dealerships and service centers around the world,

"We don't see that it will have a negative impact on business at all,"

So Budgie what have you done about this ?

Budgie

Cyburbian
The previous recall was to upgrade software to try to over compensate for riders who don't respect the battery life and push the machine uphill with a low battery gauge. I did not get the upgrade.

This new recall apparently stems from a very unusual set of circumstances that don't involve rider stupidity. I will take my machine with me this weekend to Kansas City and have the dealer there upgrade the software. I'll probably get a shot at riding one of the new machines as well. :) :D

Budgie

Cyburbian
I called Segway Experience of Kansas City and the gal there told me that they expect to get their laptop with the upgrade software on it within the next 2 weeks and then they will contact me to set up a time to upgrade my software. The upgrade will take 15 minutes.

woodlands

My first week on Cyburbia and I'm already ready to take on a "sacred cow" of Segways. :) Here goes...

If Segways someday become mass produced, and costs are driven down to the price of a motor scooter, say $249 at Wal-Mart, then they could become as prevalent as kids' motor scooters. And I predict they would still be for recreational use mostly. If they cost $249 and our family bought one tomorrow, I'm not sure when we'd use it. I happen to be rare in that I walk my kid to school every morning which is 3/4 of a mile away. And we might use a Segway for that. But most folks in my neighborhood unfortunately find the automobile to be just as easy for this purpose.

The traditional car has proven to be an extremely versatile vehicle. They've made small motorized vehicles (motorcycles, mopeds, etc.) for generations. The standard automobile has simply won out as the most versatile vehicle. It's not any sort of conspiracy on the part of auto manufacturers. Even if smaller vehicles make sense for short trips (5 miles or less), it doesn't make sense for a person to own multiple motorized vehicles and have the hassle of switching between them constantly. A standard car can take a person 1 mile to the grocery store...or it can take a person 1,000 miles on a cross-country trip. That's pretty versatile.

But the Segway doesn't just face competition from cars, bicycles, motorcycles, and mopeds, all of which have been around for generations. The Segway also faces competition from motorized wheelchairs, motor scooters, electric golf carts, skateboards, rollerblades, non-motorized scooters, and those tennis shoes with retractable wheels. Some of those are also indoor-outdoor. And some are much more portable than the Segway (which weighs 65 to 100 pounds).

If the Segway's weight could be reduced to 10 pounds or so, it could become portable (similar to a laptop computer) and its owner could take it everywhere, and that could become a big advantage. It might resemble a "foolproof automated skateboard".

To ask a blasphemous question, how is the Segway effectively different (as a mode of transportation) from an electric wheelchair? In the Wikipedia article on the Segway, it goes into a detailed comparison with the iBOT electric wheelchair which goes up and down stairs and across rugged terrain.

If the idea of businesspeople Segwaying across office complexes to get to meetings (mentioned in one of the articles) had such great economic value to society, then I'm guessing we would already see some of these other vehicles in use for that purpose.

I currently see golf carts (which can cost $3000 to $5000, or as little as Segways) transporting disabled/obese people around church parking lots and amusement parks. And golf carts are actually superior to the Segway for this purpose because they can hold 3 or more passengers, plus luggage, and can be returned to the original location by the driver. And they can go faster (up to 30 mph) if needed. If 3 people all had to hop on Segways to get across a parking lot, you'd need 3 people to bring them all back.

But perhaps the biggest competitor to the Segway is the human body. The fact is that walking at 5 mph is relatively efficient form of movement for most people. Most Americans need to expend a lot more calories than they're doing now. When my wife goes to the shopping mall, she will literally walk around at 5 mph for a couple hours, and won't be exhausted afterwards, and won't be covered in sweat. And it's a half-decent form of exercise. When we go to a festival or an amusement park, we might walk around for 6 or 8 hours in a day. And we won't be sore for days, or covered in sweat, or too exhausted to stand up. That's the beauty of the design of the human body which has been honed over millions of years. Although our bodies do have some annoying drawbacks like needing to eat food, drink water, and go to the bathroom every several hours.

In summary, I lament our automobile-based society as much as the rest of us. And I think the Segway is brilliant and could be a precursor to future advances in technology which may replace the automobile. Not to mention that the Segway can provide a lot of fun today for kids and adults. And it's especially useful for disabled people. But will it revolutionize our lives and wind up in the homes of tens or hundreds of millions of Americans? I don't see it happening.

Ok, now you can begin burning me at the stake for my heresy... :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Seen at the Scottish Games last weekend.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the December 28, 1900 Brown County Democrat, by way of the Paleo Future blog:

segwaysof1900croptn8.jpg

segwaysof1900rf6.jpg

See, the Segway isn't that new of an idea after all.

SGB

Cyburbian
Seqways soon to be legal in much of New York state?

After a five-year lobbying campaign by the makers of Segway, the New York state Legislature has voted to authorize use of the futuristic scooters on public streets and sidewalks -- except in cities with a population of 1 million or more, the lawmakers' formulation for carving out New York City.

Segway rolls -- but not in NYC

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have been doing a lot of research on Segway use in the last week. A resident of our county was not happy that we don't permit motorized uses on our trails, unless they're for the disabled. The FHWA has made it pretty clear that they don't consider Segways to meet that criteria. Since they fund parts of our trails thru various programs, and because the Florida National Scenic Trail runs along our major trails...and both don't permit motorized uses.... I had to tell the guy to take it up with Congress.

He emailed yesterday and said he'd drop the issue, since he wanted Segways on the trails, but not electric scooters, pocket rockets, etc.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
BUMP -

AP Wire Headline:
Spitzer vetoes Segway bill, citing safety issues
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stsegw165333845aug16,0,4479510.story

HIGHLIGHT:
The governor vetoed the bill because Segways and bicycles are too different to be used in similar places, and allowing Segways on roads would cause a "number of public safety issues," a state source said. The governor's office noted that the Segway owner's manual says it is not intended for use on roads.

The bill, which had been kicking around the legislature for five years but had yet to reach the governor's desk before this year, passed the Senate 55-6 and the Assembly 100-30, which would be enough to override the veto.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Golf Version -
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps...20070929/FEATURES04/709290352/1035/FEATURES04
All's fair on the fairway

Will the golf-modified Segway X2 lower your handicap? There's no guarantee of that. Will it increase your fun quotient on the links? Very possibly.

Equipped with special low-pressure tires that go easy on the grass, the Segway Personal Transporter also offers a mount for a bag of clubs and a holder for scorecards, tees and balls. The $6,175 device has the latest Segway upgrades, like LeanSteer technology and keyless operation. Its lithium-ion battery packs will carry a player and clubs as many as 14 miles on typical golf-course terrain -- enough to chase down all those slices.

Those who've tried the Segway say it can speed up a foursome's game by 20 percent, since each golfer goes directly to his own shot.

Good picture: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps...EATURES04&ArtNo=709290352&Ref=V2&Profile=1035

The model is wearing the planner uniform. ;)

Can you see RJ golfing on one of these ? :-D ;)

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
....Can you see RJ golfing on one of these ? :-D ;)
No way; I ride in your standard golf cart where you don't need to wear a helmet.
I don't see a place to carry the six (6) pack.

Budgie

Cyburbian
No way; I ride in your standard golf cart where you don't need to wear a helmet.
I don't see a place to carry the six (6) pack.

Dood.... when it comes to alcohol hauling capacity and a segway, why don't you consult an expert.... ME !!!! I can get 10 frosty ones comfortably in the bag that hangs on the handle bars of mine. I've been known to park my segway in the bar and I haven't been ticketed yet, although I have been stopped before (in 3 different cities).

People are buying them. I've started to see more of them, particularly in bigger cities and at festivals.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I have seen early early concept drawings of a vehicle that incorporate segways thereby offering multiple modes in one package.

LinK

Would this type of concept be useful? Yes, it's not much different from having a bick rack on your car.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HEADLINE: Segways get vets' therapy rolling
Donated devices give the disabled more mobility

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20071205/a_segway_soldiers05.art.htm

HIGHLIGHTS:
Although it is not approved as a medical device, disabled veterans report that the Segways give them greater mobility. Therapists say they could be part of a future movement for the industry because they force soldiers to stand longer, which helps them get used to their prosthetic limbs.

"If I'm in a wheelchair, people look down on me and think, 'Aw, too bad,'" .... "Now I'm in a Segway, they think it's cool."

Link: http://segs4vets.org/

If helps their mobility which leads to quality of life, then give them a Segway.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HEADLINE: Soaring gasoline prices drive Segway interest
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080629/BUSINESS/806290361

HIGHLIGHT:
But with gasoline prices escalating, sales are growing.

One of Segway's top U.S. dealers -- Riva Motorsports of Pompano Beach, Fla. -- sold almost 200 in 2006, 250 last year and 175 in the first five months of this year, said Riva spokesman Matt Sermarini.

With a pricetag of about $5,000, he said the Segway remains too expensive for most consumers.

Still what a price tag. :-o

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dood.... when it comes to alcohol hauling capacity and a segway, why don't you consult an expert.... ME !!!!
Okay, given that the Segway depends to a certain extent on maintaining equilibrium (remember when Dubya managed to fall off one of them?), how best to cruise with one's Segway after, shall we say - immoderate consumption? Should one actually attempt to remain in an upright position, shifting balance as necessary or is it better if one simply slumps forward until some vertical object (light post, curb, Mrs. Jones, etc.) impedes forward momentum? Or is this a clear case of practice make perfect?

jlspencer

Segway trainer

I did a major research project using the Segway. I became an authorized trainer and used the device extensively. California passed a law for use on sidewalks. Individual cities can pose their own limits.

The Segway is a unique device and has a niche for short-distance trips. I used it for getting to meetings and appointments where I would have otherwise driven a car. The research looked at a shared-use program connnected to regional transit (BART), much like car sharing. It was a successful pilot and launched as a commercial business in 2006.

There are benefits to its use and it does have the wow factor.

SGB

Cyburbian
Okay, given that the Segway depends to a certain extent on maintaining equilibrium (remember when Dubya managed to fall off one of them?),.......

[ot]Dubya's problem wasn't equilibrium-related. He did not have the Segway turned on. Without power, the built-in gyroscope does not work.[/ot]

Rickyrab

Cyburbian
When on a Segway, you're standing all the time. Don't people get tired of standing after a while?