• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NIMBY from Hell

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Nimby From Hell...

Me and the rest of the planning team got our asses raked over the coals this afternoon by a citizens' group opposed to new condo development. I'm a target because I didn't immediately ask for a Traffic Impact Study.

The best part is...the NIMBYs are led by a developer! So basically, it's okay for him to build his apartments and stuff wherever he owns property - but no one can build anything in his backyard.

He failed to see the irony in his situation, even after I pointed it out.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
transplanner:

I don't suppose you are at liberty to let us know where that project is, and who those people were?

Otherwise, we can organize a little "raking the ass over coal" of our own, with the NIMBYies at the recieving end.

GB

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm not sure how wise that would be of me GeekyBoy...the matter has been appealed to the OMB.

Actually, on this one the nimbies do have a point - the proposal is out of character for the neighbourhood (IMO). Unfortunately, instead of being rational about it, they let their emotions get the better of them and started spouting off about how this development would directly lead to the end of all life on the planet (okay, just a bit of an exaggeration).

The fact that the chief ranter happened to be a developer just struck me as being totally bizarre.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
Transplanner:

I didn't think it would be wise :)

The whole business does sound like the Minto fight - the mother of NIMBYism in the new century lol

GB