• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Opposite of SkeLeton: (Or "Fun with Antipodes")

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
If you look at SkeLeton's location, you will see that he has the cooridinates: 39° 48' S and 73° 14' W. I also have coordinates for my location" 41° 36' 57" N and 83° 39' 56" W.

I always wondered what the antipode of my location would be.

"The term "antipodes" refers to two places on opposite sides of the earth so that a straight line drawn through the earth from one to the other passes through the center of the earth. To be exact antipodes, two places must be 180 ° of longitude away from each other, antipode must be as many degrees north latitude as the other is south latitude."

Thus, from my understanding, to calculate the antipode of your location, you would take the latitude and convert it to the opposite. E.G. 45° 30' N latitude would become 45° 30' S latitude. Longitude would be converted by subtracting your present longitude from 180° . Thus, the antipode of 75° W longitude is 105° E.

For SkeLeton then, the antipode of his location would be 39° 48' N and 106° 46' E. (to the nearest minutes) . That would put him about here:

Zoomed in:
94Antipode_2-med.gif

So I guess, "digging your way to China" is accurate for many parts of Chile.

For my location, the antipode is: 41° 36' 57" S and 96° 20' 04" E. (to the nearest second)

To find the location of your antipode, click on the URL below and enter the coordinates. A map will come up that you can zoom in and out of. If you live in the western hemisphere be sure to put a - (minus) sign before the latitude.

http://geography.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

I suspect that the majority of us will be in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Nice... so now the opposite of me is a poor chinese living in a van down by the river...:p

donk

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Nice... so now the opposite of me is a poor chinese living in a van down by the river...:p
That location does not look like the downtown east side of vancouver. ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
If I did it properly, this is the antipode of my location:

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
That location does not look like the downtown east side of vancouver. ;)
Burn on Vancouver! That was almost as good as a burn on Toronto. ^5!

It looks like Elmo and I would be somewhere near Heard Island and the Macdonald Islands.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow... until now I'm the only one that can "land" on my antipode...Well given the fact that the "Earth" is 72% water.. It's just a thing of chance. :p