• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Planning School you go to DOES NOT MATTER!!!!

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
AICP vs. Graduate Degree

Cyburbians' feelings on AICP and the APA aside, once you get AICP, does it really matter whether you have a graduate degree? Just wondering because I still have three years of experience needed before I'm even eligible to take the test.

Also, does anyone have any experience with distance/online degree or certificate programs? I know Iowa State has a full degree program in planning via distance learning and Ohio State has a certificate in facilities planning and management via that there interweb. OSU's program is actually quite affordable and they don't charge out of state tuition. The curriculum appears to be about 1/2 planning, 1/4 real estate development, and 1/4 business admin.

Plan-it

Cyburbian
Michaelskis makes a good point that it does matter on regional level. If you go to a planning school in NY, you are more likely to have had exposure to NYS laws, home rule and issues of planning in the state in general. I guess that's why I find students from NYU, Cornell, SUNY ESF, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, Pace, Hunter and Columbia have and edge over other students...but alas I am from NY..and attended one of the aforementioned schools!
I agree tsc. In addition, if you are a hiring manager and you went through a school that you respect, you will more likley have confidence in the candidates you see coming out of that same program. It is a level of comfort knowing that this candidate will have a base level of knowledge that you are familiar with.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Also, does anyone have any experience with distance/online degree or certificate programs? .....OSU's program is actually quite affordable and they don't charge out of state tuition. The curriculum appears to be about 1/2 planning, 1/4 real estate development, and 1/4 business admin.
I got the OSU online degree last year and it was quite good. It does a good job of working the public and private side of facilities planning and management. If you are interested in understanding the real estate side of things some of the professors are extremely knowledgeable. I thought it was well worth the money.

Veloise

Cyburbian
So...how much is it?

(I will have a very hard time justifying to myself why I would send one blue or green cent of my hard-earned money to THE Ohio State University.)

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
So...how much is it?

(I will have a very hard time justifying to myself why I would send one blue or green cent of my hard-earned money to THE Ohio State University.)
$4400 total for the entire 15-graduate-credit certificate or $1200/course if you want to take it on a course by course basis.

Here's a link to the program:
http://knowlton.osu.edu/ped/facilities.htm

[ot]I understand the sentiment of not wanting to send money to the "enemy" school. I found a job in the Austin area after having graduated from Oklahoma and I don't know if I could ever bring myself to attend classes, let alone pursue a degree, from the University of Texas.[/ot]

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So...how much is it?

Just go to the dark side then. I enjoy when people emphasize the THE in Ohio State. It just makes OSU that much cooler;-)

The program though starts in the Winter quarter (Jan.09) so by that time OSU will be AP#1 in football and you will have more reason to go!

Truthfully though it was a pretty good program and has a good grasp on real estate in relation to planning. More in detail than I like, but interesting non the less.