• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Quest for 50...States

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I have a goal of visiting all 50 states. And because I am a good mommy I have forced this goal on Itty Bitty as well. I have visited 42, basically just need to do the Great Plains Itty Bitty has been to 15. This year she should get at least 3 more.

Any thoughts on how to visit the remaining states? I still need MT, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, and AK .

I know a few other Cyburbians have this goal. How y'all doing?

Reactions: Dan

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
WY - Grand Tetons & Devils Tower
SD - Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, Badlands
NE - Scotts Bluff
MT - Glacier

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
WY - Grand Tetons & Devils Tower
SD - Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, Badlands
NE - Scotts Bluff
MT - Glacier
All good suggestions. Anyone have thoughts on a good age for kids to experience some of these places?

DVD

Cyburbian
Coming from the west drive into Hays, KS and see the Sternberg Museum. Lots of dinosaur stuff. You can head to the center of the state and see the World's Largest Ball of Twine (that's like a 2 minute roadside attraction, but it's off the main highway). Then drive north through all those other states and maybe see the SD badlands and Mt Rushmore. Not sure what to do in NE or ND.

kjel

Super Moderator
I'd road trip these 4 in one go MT, WY, ND, SD.

Plenty of national parks, museums, and other things to keep little people happy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Despite being a native of the Northeast US, I'm missing much of New England, along with the upper Midwest. On the "to do" list:

• Connecticut
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • New Hampshire
  • Maine
  • Wisconsin
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Montana
  • Idaho
The total WAS count:

• US: 40/50 states, DC, 0 territories/possessions
  • Mexico: 2/32 states
  • Canada: 2/10 provinces, 0/3 territories
Before I got married, I was thinking about using Volvo arbitrage to get a lot of the upper Midwest. Buy a clean used Volvo 240 in Washington or Oregon, take the 90 back home to New York with a detour to North Dakota via the 94 and 29, and sell the 240 for a couple thousand more than what I paid. The arbitrage pays for the trip, and five states are checked off the list.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Never been a driving goal of mine (had to pull up one of those interactive map things this morning to count): 29/50 states, one district, two territories.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My list
US
Maine
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
New York
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Virginia
West Virginia
Georgia
Florida
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Michigan
Indiana
Mississippi
Louisiana
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Arizona
Nevada
Washington
California
I have been through North and South Carolina, but it was on train. Technically, we stopped in North Carolina, but I was asleep at the time.

Canada
Quebec
Ontario

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Coming from the west drive into Hays, KS and see the Sternberg Museum. Lots of dinosaur stuff. You can head to the center of the state and see the World's Largest Ball of Twine (that's like a 2 minute roadside attraction, but it's off the main highway). Then drive north through all those other states and maybe see the SD badlands and Mt Rushmore. Not sure what to do in NE or ND.
Twine does sound pretty awesome. I gave always wanted to do a road trip full of the hokey stuff!

DVD

Cyburbian
Bring your own twine to add to the ball. FYI, there are next to no services in the area so it's bring your own snacks. You might find a local diner if you're lucky.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
All good suggestions. Anyone have thoughts on a good age for kids to experience some of these places?
You can go to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas and use the fact that you might find a random diamond on the ground as a selling point. I know my 8-year-old would love the idea of finding a gemstone on the ground that she could keep.

Planit

Cyburbian
Okay dandy, you asked for it:

Baby zoo animals you can visit around the Untied States...

This is a picture gallery, so if you hear a faint (or loud) SQQUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll know why.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

This is a picture gallery, so if you hear a faint (or loud) SQQUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll know why.
I was going to post about how I have been to less than half the states... but there is not much that can follow baby animals...

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I count 36 (plus Washington DC). Quite a few were during two cross country Amtrak trips about a decade ago. Not sure if those count or not. I did get out of the train in the ones I am counting as far as I recall. I'm left with states that are a long drive away or realistically require flying.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian

That is wonderful! I have a new quest: see all the baby animals! Squeeeeee!

Veloise

Cyburbian
I've long been a conference tourist. Attend a scheduled event, make it into a nearby attraction visit. If you can find a professional development excuse, it helps center the trip planning around a time frame and location.

In 1986 I headed to a bicycle conference in Seattle, driving across the upper tier of states. I also took in the Vancouver (BC) Worlds Fair, bought the poster which is still framed and hanging on my wall.